Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

projecthalaxy posted:

Does anyone else dislike the "fan gets involved, contracted" storyline ( Zach Gowen, Santino, Mickie James, Rosa Mendez)? I think it will eventually lead to some mark kid trying to be Rosa to Cena's Beth and getting hurt. It just sends mixed messages.

WWE is always hopping back and forth on the issue of fan involvement. They tell fans not to get involved, but then they have angles like Rosa and Gowen. They say "don't try this at home," and yet they show footage of the Hardys (and before them it was Mick Foley) doing just that. It's not the only case of hypocrisy they're guilty of, but it is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

Ok I have a couple of questions...

What exactly is X-pac heat and how did Sean Waltman obtain this?

This is a highly controversial term around here because nobody can really agree on what it is, who has it, or whether or not it's even a bad thing. As I understand it, it's when the crowd boos a guy not because they don't like him, but because they want him to go away. The term originated when X-Pac was forced to turn heel during the Invasion angle because he was being heavily booed despite acting as a face.

quote:

Do internet fans really hate Hulk Hogan and why? He did a ton for the business in the 80s and seems like an ok guy from the interviews he gives and the vh1 shows he's on. I hear he has a huge ego but some of the stuff I've heard sounds borderline uncanny.

Hogan was pretty much always a terrible worker with a worse attitude. He did a ton of business in the 80s and early 90s, but was still being presented as a credible world champion as late as 2002, and would occasionally show up in WWE for a quick feud and paycheck as late as 2005. He and his friends always got the cushiest jobs and the biggest paychecks, usually to the detriment of more capable workers.

quote:

Finally, have Kane and Big Show ever had substantial title runs? I started watching WWF/E at the tailend of 99 and Big Show had the title. I've heard Kane had it too but it was short-lived. I went about six years not watching wrestling starting late 02, and I wonder if either of them have had titles since then. They both have been legit main eventers at times and I don't understand why they don't get the main titles ever, considering how long their careers currently are. Am I just mistaken in thinking they are (or have been) main eventers for any significant time in their career?

They both had pretty lengthy runs with the ECW Title, but other than that their world title reigns have mostly been transitional. Of course, both of them are always within a few weeks of being a serious title contender just because of their size and their ability to dominate opponents.

Ninja edit: Beaten everywhere :doh:

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

reality_groove posted:

Question: how many times has WWE rehashed the Montreal Screwjob?

On top of the ones you mentioned, during the Rock/Benoit feud in the summer of 2000 they had a submission match on Raw with Shane McMahon (managing Benoit at the time) as the guest referee. Benoit got Rock in the crossface, and when Rock was trying to get to the ropes his hand brushed the canvas. Shane called for the bell.

Another Benoit moment was at Backlash 2004 in Edmonton. There was a rematch of the WrestleMania XX main event, and Michaels got Benoit in a sharpshooter. Earl Hebner started freaking out, looking for all the world like he was gonna call for the ball whether Benoit tapped or not. The crowd ate it up.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

The Taker segment on Smackdown was hilarious and I'm trying to think of other times people have being kidnapped in limos, ambulances and other automobiles. Of the top of my head, I can think of:

Undertaker and Steph
Kane and Shane
Kane and Lita (or was it Matt Hardy?)
Kane and Paul Bearer by DX
Cactus Jack by DX

Can anyone think of any more?

During the Katie Vick feud, Kane kidnapped Triple H and drove off with him in a limo.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

ColeM posted:

Nah, he moved there to become a Hollywood writer... so that's worse.

But once he fails, he can come be a member of the creative team.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Burrito posted:

I don't know, they don't look so big on my TV.

Television does not do these men justice!

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

Holy poo poo that actually looked pretty awesome. I never saw it before, but with hindsight (knowing he was ok later) and not having a high opinion of the guy before, my respect for Goldberg just went up a notch.

He wasn't okay later, though. He tore his arm to shreds, nearly died and missed a ton of time. Goldberg not being around wasn't the worst thing to happen to WCW, but it certainly didn't help.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

RKOMG! posted:

I'm totally just spitballing here, but I don't think, like, John Madden ponies up the promotional costs of his game. Pretty sure that even though it's a WWE game, the game's distributors/publishers pick up the tab on advertising.

He doesn't buy the TV commercials, but when he was doing commentary there would frequently be footage from Madden used to hype up the games. Similarly, while WWE probably doesn't pay the costs for commercials for SvR in other shows, I'd be surprised if they made THQ pay to sponsor a WWE PPV.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Iskanderson posted:

So, besides Sheamus, who else has won a world title on their first try? I'm pretty sure Kane and Goldberg have, and the Rock, if you want to count the Survivor Series tournament.

Brock Lesnar, SummerSlam 2002.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

IIRC Regal & Tajiri had a similar break-up to E&C...

Regal turned heel by costing Angle the title in a match against Austin on Raw. He tried to get Tajiri to turn with him, but he stayed true to the WWF.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

Orton sometimes bores me by taking liberties with his intense staring but he's credible as super main-event caliber and young as all hell. getting randy orton at this age is like investing in microsoft back in the 80s.

In that you will have stock in an overrated product that isn't nearly as good as its popularity should demand and is likelier than not to shut itself down, yes.

If Orton is as volatile as he's been in WWE, can you imagine what he would do under the "supervision" of TNA?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

As WWE Elimination Chamber: the PPV approaches, which is your favorite Elimination Chamber Match? Mine is a tie between Elimination Chamber 1 and the Raw Chamber from NWO 09.

Whichever one had Edge take out Kofi beforehand and wind up winning the title. I think it was the Raw one from last year. Chamber matches all kind of blend together for me, as for the most part there's nothing to set them apart. It's a similar thing with MITB matches.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Hornswoggle is just a little guy.. are they still trying to pass him off as a leprechaun?

He lives in a full-fledged society with an established social hierarchy including a functioning, powerful judicial system with a seemingly large population. This society is fully contained under each and every WWE ring.

Also if The Undertaker isn't over the top then there is no top.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Has the Undertaker ever taken on Cena in a 1 on 1 match? I can't recall one.

They had a brief feud right around the time of Cena's turn to the rapper persona. One of the lyrics in his first theme song was "You Deadman, Inc.? Well I'm about to make you famous" or something like that.

Cena vs. Taker for the streak would be a loving amazing feud. The crowd would eat it up, and I think it would be a great match.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

There was a thing for a few weeks a few years ago where Jesse and Festus would bubblewrap people and load them into shipping crates. Did they ever go anywhere or even explain that at all?

They were a "moving company" that was preparing for SmackDown's move to MyTV.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

Wade Barrett still has his title shot, right?

It was taken away from him indefinitely after the initial beatdown from Nexus. It will either be given back to him at a convenient time or forgotten forever.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What's with the unification of first the WWE tag team titles and now the Divas' and Women's titles? Has there been some kind of backstage movement for merging the shows together more? Is there any chance the World titles could be unified?

Like FishBulb said, it's more out of necessity than anything that the women's and tag team titles are being unified. Of course, the Hart Dynasty hasn't appeared on SmackDown in months, sooo...

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edge and Christian I don't think have been together for a long time, I'm not sure they even teamed again after the split up toward the beginning of the decade.

They had one tag match together after Survivor Series '04. Maven was acting general manager for the night (he won the right in a match at the PPV), and booked them together because he was a huge fan and wanted to see them together one more time.

He also gave himself a World Title match, because if you're an active wrestler given authority and you're NOT using it to give yourself a World Title match, then you're doing it wrong.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Why does no one use the Steamroller anymore?

BRING BACK THE STEAMROLLER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR9RH1sORmU <- A good Steamroller

Done right, it's a really effective, visually impressive finish. The problem is that it's difficult to do right (impossible to do on someone bigger than, say, Cena), very dangerous to screw up, and fairly convoluted to get into position for.

For a guy who has multiple ways to finish people, it would be a nice move to have in his arsenal, but it shouldn't be the main one. Maybe Orton can pick it up when he's done with the Angle Slam.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Quarex posted:

Hello, question not deserving of own thread checking in:

For years, I have been convinced that when introducing the Katie Vick angle, HHH called her a different name. I do not remember what it was, but I remember in the second week of the angle, I kept saying "Why did they change her name from the first week to the second?" Yes, I know, given that the name was apparently created to be a potential way to bring in Scott Vick down the line, it makes absolutely no sense for it to have been changed after the debut. BUT, given that I have not ever been able to find the infamous original promo where HHH accused Kane of murder/destroyed his career for years, I cannot be sure.

I would be more than happy for someone to immediately find the promo and prove me wrong, but every time I think I track it down on YouTube or wherever it ends up just being HHH talking about it on a radio show, or one of the later parts of the feud with HHH dressed up as Kane, or Kane lamenting his actions, or the final mash-up-of-the-whole-feud video package for their match.

The first week, he said Fick. Every time after that it was Vick.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Hockles posted:

Why is throwing a wrestler into the steel stairs legal? Why is hitting their face on the announce table legal? Why is destroying them through the table legal?

MRP did a great job of explaining this, but I'll chime in that I always think of it as "You can hit a thing with a person, but you can't hit a person with a thing."

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

He didn't write it. It came from a big collection of public domain stock music. WWE loved to use free music on guys they weren't sure of, but the Hardys got so popular so fast they were kinda stuck.

And even though the music is absolutely free and would get a huge pop, TNA didn't use it, even when Hardy was a face.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

(Jack Doan?)

It was Chioda. Don't ask me how I know this off the top of my head.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Toadofsky posted:

If you have a hundred people in attendance

This is why this does not work. You're underestimating how hard it is to get people to come to your show. The costs for renting a place that can hold that many people, and then getting that many people to actually show up (which requires promoting the Hell out of an event), are what makes running a wrestling fed a losing financial proposition in anything other than EWR.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

DannoMack posted:

Why is pro wrestling on a channel about science fiction?

SyFy is slowly moving away from its science fiction roots and trying to reach a more generalized audience. Additionally, WWE has a contract with NBC Universal where they have to offer any new or moved shows to any NBC Universal channel before offering it to another one. When the time came for SmackDown to move off of MyTV, NBCU's choice was to put it on USA--which they didn't want because it would make USA too much of a wrestling channel--or put it on SyFy, or let WWE try to sell it to a competing cable channel.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Cavenagh posted:

Nunzio or not Nunzio? It's been a while since I last saw him (dressed as Dracula), which is making me uncertain if it is him.

Chilly has it right. That's John Cone; he's been there for a while.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Sugar Blaster posted:

He should be out after a show partying and doing a ton of drugs like real wrestlers. Not spending his downtime playing video games or reading like a nerd.

The problem wasn't that he did it in his own time; the problem was that he was doing it backstage during shows instead of watching the card and seeing how other wrestlers did things. The mindset (right or wrong) is that when you're on a show, you stay for the whole show and watch the parts that you're not in.

This is also part of the reason Carlito was never really admired by the backstage higher-ups; there was a promo Ric Flair cut on him for leaving during a show that was based on real-life dissatisfaction with him.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I vaguely remember a match between Undertaker and Kurt Angle that ended by Angle hiding under the ring, Undertaker dragging him back out and going for the pin buuuut SURPRISE it's not Kurt Angle but rather Kurt Angle's identically dressed brother or cousin or something who he was going to introduce later this evening. So thanks for ruining the surprise Undertaker! Must have been at one of the big PPVs.

My question is twofold: who came up with this bollocks, and did anything ever come of it? (And "where did that happen" too I guess so threefold.)

It was at No Mercy 2000. Eric Angle was training (I think in OVW at the time), but never got up to the main roster. If my memory serves they brought him back for another one-shot during Angle's feud with Lesnar in 2003.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

George Kaplan posted:

You just described JBL.

I miss JBL.

I'm not saying that JBL is alone in this, but he had three or four phrases that it seemed like he said every single night. I think I could go my whole life without ever hearing "lights on bright" ever again.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

How did WWE pull off the Paul Bearer burial at GAB04? And how ridiculous did the internet think that storyline was?

They did it with taste and decorum, recognizing the event as the solemn tragedy that it truly was.

Nah, gently caress that. They stuck poor Paul in the Cole Mine and filled it with oatmeal. Heyman started filling it during the match, then Taker pulled the lever to "double super fast" to finish it off. They also sent the rehearsal footage to the PPV satellite, for the world to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8KTSOm1nZE

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Lloyd Boner posted:

Yeah but Orton in 04-05 was Orton at his best in ring. Matches with Foley, Edge, Benoit, all great.

If you couldn't have a good match with Benoit, in-his-prime Edge or a motivated Foley, you shouldn't be in wrestling. Orton had those things, and he still shouldn't be in wrestling.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

That was a good time to be a fan of SmackDown. Then Vince got involved and they had that awful I Quit match and it all went to poo poo.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

So what's the going rate for an NWA Title reign, anyway? I am by no means a trained or talented wrestler, but I could probably scrounge up a few bucks for a run with the belt.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Orton genuinely did have that feel of SCSA for a little while. Whether that died because of bad booking or because of Orton being a bit of a bore is up for debate since Orton has been very entertaining in the past and is a great wrestler when he kicks it into high gear.

When, exactly, has Orton kicked it into high gear? When he was carried through a great hardcore match by one of the best hardcore wrestlers ever? Or perhaps when he was carried through an alright technical match with one of the best technical wrestlers ever?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Why don't Indy feds use floor mats? I can't imagine taking a bump to the outside onto a hard basketball court feeling good.

Floor mats cost money that could be spent on tassels, kick pads, trash bag pants, smoke machines, meth and thumbtacks.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Red posted:

Q: Why did Matt Striker stop wrestling?

He was bad at it, plus he was really really good at talking. In another time he might have been a truly great manager.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

James is fortunate enough to be in a situation where he doesn't need wrestling, or any other job; if he wants to, he can just play out his career and live off of what he makes and the meager pension the NFL offers its longtime players.

Someone who just barely makes the roster for one or two years and then falls off, however, isn't as lucky; most of the guys who play in the NFL play only a couple of years, and when the league is done with them they have to make a go of it as a guy in his late 20s or early 30s with a crappy education, bum knees and a skillset focused entirely on an industry that has no use for him.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

Hey everyone what are your favorite PPV's

WrestleMania X
SummerSlam 2002
Royal Rumble 2004
WrestleMania XX

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Oatgan posted:

Has there ever been a more worthless mid-show interview segment than Abraham Washington's?

Carlito's Cabana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

LightsGameraAction posted:

He refuses to face Undertaker at Wrestlemania.

He turned down a huge opportunity, both financially and professionally, by refusing to come to WWE and have a match with The Undertaker at WrestleMania. He did this because he feels that WWE will do a disservice to his legacy, and that Vince McMahon is not an ethical businessman.

Rather than sign with WWE, he returned to TNA. Within three months he was put into the ring, in the main event of a pay-per-view, with a man who had showed up to the event completely inebriated and in absolutely no condition to perform.