Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
When people post like "here are all of Meltzer's 3 star and up matches for Wrestler X:" is that something that can easily be looked up, or do you need a PWI subscription?

Related: what are Chris Jericho's best matches on the Network, other than Wrestlemania XIX which I just watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How long were Edge and Christian billed as kayfabe brothers in WWF/E? Was that just dropped silently at some point?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Who has/had the best powerbomb in wrestling?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
When will the WWE respect the Master of the Powerbomb title?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Skunkrocker posted:

Well we need a clarification from Blast on this.

Now, are we talking straight up powerbombs OR powerbomb variants? Most of the people here are listing variants, like the Jackknife and Last Ride and poo poo.

I was thinking either, really. I probably had some sort of imaginary powerbomb guideline in my head, because I consider the Jackknife and Last Ride to be powerbombs (because they're basically just powerbombs where you lift the guy REAL high), but I don't consider the Razor's Edge to be one.

I know this doesn't make any real sense, but the Razor's Edge doesn't feel like a powerbomb to me, because of how it looks.

So there's some non-clarification clarification.

Also I agree with the earlier assessment that sit-down powerbombs are the poo poo.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
"The Hog Log" sounds like something Jim Ross would shout of he was speaking some sort of made-up Sims language.

"HOG LOG! HOG LOG! SCHLIM GORKEN A GRAF! HOG LOG!"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah, I was going to say AWA. Watching a late-period AWA broadcast is the equivalent of "Who's going to be in WWF next year?"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
So apparently Roddy Piper punched Vince Russo on television, in the middle of shooting about how he ruined wrestling and contributed to Owen Hart's death? I somehow have not heard about this before.

What was the internet reaction when this happened? Or the industry reaction for that matter? (I assume none to the latter since it was on TNA)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

oatgan posted:

Its a dogshit promo with seemingly no purpose like much of Piper's post-WWE career. A few weeks later he comes back and insists all wrestling promoters are evil because they don't provide health insurance and the "independent contractor" excuse is total bullshit. He's correct, of course, but since he probably didnt clear that promo with anybody the announce team has to paint him as a delusional old man because TNA isn't going to suddenly change the status quo over a Roddy Piper promo.

Haha, I had a sneaking feeling it was something like that. I was gleaming this whole thing from his Wikipedia page, which treats it as a legitimate, lurid shoot. With a ton of [citation needed]'s thrown all over it of course.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I've grown to kind of like JBL as a commentator. He's just such a cornball it makes me laugh.

I think if they retire King and let Cole/JBL have more control over the commentary, it would make a huge positive impact.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I missed the conversation about it, but yeah, Triple H over Booker T might have been the exact moment I flipped from "regular wrestling fan" to "jaded internet wrestling fan."

I even LIKED Triple H at the time. But it just made no goddamn sense. It'd be like if this year at Wrestlemania, after all that buildup, the main event ended with Batista powerbomb and pinning Daniel Bryan in the middle of the ring.

Then Batista gets a mic and goes "Yeah, I guess you WEREN'T good enough to be champion." and confetti starts raining down.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I love how some of them are puns, but then there are a bunch that are just "gently caress, I can't think of anything. Throw a wrestling move in front of it."

Clothesline Quesadilla

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
You know, I honestly don't miss blading or excessive blood in matches. It makes it much more shocking when someone actually starts bleeding vs. someone getting busted open every time they get slapped.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Has there ever been an inferno match that didn't totally suck? Just watched Bray Wyatt's first match against Kane. It's surprising he was able to get over at all after that snooze fest.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Goldust made me uncomfortable as a kid, so I hated him. Now I get that that's like the whole point.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I know "It's not hot!" gets all of the love, but "THERE ARE NO HULKAMANIACS HERE!" makes me laugh just as much.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think he meant "what's up with no one mentioning R-Truth karaoke's his entrance?"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think they recognize Sandow's talent as a talker and improviser. Watching him live, he's constantly doing hilarious "in-character" stuff even when it's clear he's not on camera.

I could see Sandow being a fantastic manager or even heel announcer.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What are generally considered to be some legitimately well-executed plot twists in wrestling? Twists that both made sense and actually surprised people.

Like basically the opposite of The Goobledygooker or Hornswoggle being Vince's son.

When I'm trying to think of good twists, all that's coming in to my head is "EVEN MY IMMEDIATE FAMILY BOUGHT IT!"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shine posted:

The Rock's sharpshooter owns because he closes his eyes really hard and screams for no reason when he does it.

I feel like if The Rock gave Ziggler a sharpshooter the screaming would consume the arena whole.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How does the licensing work for the Jushin Liger "character"?

Like, since the character / name originated in an anime does NJPW have to pay to use the name? Or did they just acquire the rights completely back when the wrestler debuted and not have to worry from that point on.

Like did WCW have to pay the anime's creators again when JL was on Nitro?

Same thing for Tiger Mask

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I was gonna ask this in the Network thread after Big Show stepping on a table but:

Has Big Show ever not totally sucked in WWE? I remember kind of liking The Giant in WCW, but I feel like he's been a total wash in WWE.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Who is the best WCW/WWF-era wrestler to never be heavyweight champion? Ricky Steamboat?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think the crucifix powerbomb / Razor's Edge is banned too, right? That's why Sheamus randomly stopped doing it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is there a story behind Daniel Bryan calling Ryback "The Ryback"? Is it just cuz it's funny?

It is funny.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Writer Cath posted:

Toronto is one of the snarkiest crowds they've got. There was one show where they absolutely hated Eugene of all people; and it seemed like he was never quite over after that.

Well I'd love Toronto then, because wrestling doesn't really need a Down's Syndrome minstrel act.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

TL posted:

An an average show I get that. But using Allstate for WrestleMania seems really odd.

You have to understand that Wrestlemania being in huge outdoor arenas is a relatively recent addition.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Chewy Bitems posted:

What was the date of that Cena/CM Punk amazing match on Raw a couple years back? I think it was in January? Pretty sure it's the match with the piledriver in it. I've never seen it and trying to find it now, could've sworn it was on the WWE YT channel but can't find one that matches.

Thanks!

This is the piledriver match:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxtqta_john-cena-vs-cm-punk-wwe-raw-25th-feb-2013_sport

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

WadeBartender posted:

and now he's put them back in power because ???

Big Show can apparently knock out the toughest wrestlers with a single, slow punch to the head. Yet he chooses only to attempt this like, once per match.

Big Show is a moron.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LvK posted:

similarly, why doesn't anyone use flying bicycle kicks, full-body-rotation reverse hook kicks, giant roaring telegraphed lariats with heavy follow-through, and concentrated punches to a grounded foe the moment the match begins?

Pretty much all of those have the theatrics/fun required to suspend my disbelief. Bog How slowly punching a guy does not.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

When and why did Big Show stop using the chokeslam as a finisher anyway?

Kayfabe: boxing training. Real: Big Show is too out of shape/lazy to properly do a choke slam.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

St Evan Echoes posted:

Really? I thought a chokeslam was one of those moves where the person taking it does most of the work

It's probably 80% the person taking the bump, with the person doing the slam responsible for some lifting and helping with momentum.

To see this in action, watch 2014 Kane do one, then 2014 Big Show. Huge difference. Or even 1995 Big Show.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 3, 2015

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Everyone said taking Show's chokeslam sucked because his motion meant the ring was flexing when you landed and there was no give to it.

That's really interesting, but it even looked way better in WCW. How much lighter was Show then? Had to be like 100 pounds lighter at least.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ZDar Fan posted:

Does he have any good matches on the WWE Network?

Watch his Masato Tanaka matches in ECW, like he said. Every one is a classic. Heat Wave 98 is my favorite, and also you should watch Heat Wave 98 because it's one of the best PPVs of the 90s.

Edit: Although if you're squeamish about unprotected chairshots, especially given Mike Awesome's untimely death... you may want to pass.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 12, 2015

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What was Cena using as his finisher before the FU? I can't even remember.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I was listening to Coach's ESPN show and he specifically singled out Bubba Ray as the worst person to deal with during his time at WWE.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Fandango is like 10x the wrestler that Disco Inferno is.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What's the biggest comedown between a great match and a terrible one on a PPV?

Like I just watched mania 13 and you go from Austin/Hart submission match -> Ahmed Johnson & LOD / Nation of Domination

Like the peak of pro wrestling to absolute garbage.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
No one uses Skynyrd's "Gimme Three Steps" which is a real shame. I'd use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Reverse STOs rule when they're done in to something. See: Seth Rollins' STO in to the turnbuckle or anytime the Sister Abigail is done in to a wall or something.