Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

BigRed0427 posted:

Were the hardcore matches done by the old ECW ever as violent as CZW and their Tournament of Death?

And do we really need to start a new thread?

They didn't use lighttubes matches, panes of glass or the especially stupid match types. CZW goes too far, following the lead of FMW.

Vonnegut Asterisk posted:

I see a lot of posts on Wrestlehut about guys who should turn heel because they're more awesome that way. I want answers on the reverse: who only works as a face and sucks as a heel?

The answers I bring to the table are:

Khali
Tommy Dreamer
Sting
Jeff Hardy

This is more about how people are booked, and smarkiness. Bad guys get to be cool, funny and smart, whereas faces are either bland by comparison, or are worse jerks who think that they're not jerks. Some people (stone cold) make the transition fine, others don't (cena and triple h a lot of the time, shelton benjamin trying to be a heel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Xenoletum posted:

Are we comparing my childhood to a trashy wrestling promotion that has people doing horrible things to themselves for ~100 an appearance? Really?

I was actually browsing through FYE's wrestling selection, came across some CZW dvds, and thought to myself who would actually buy one of these.

As I went to put it back down, there was a ROH DVD behind it. I pulled that one to the front and shoved the CZW one as far back as I could. No one should ever see CZW. I feel horrible that Mickey Rourke or whichever stuntman they used for him had to go through that shoot with Necro for the movie.

However, CZW was allegedly decent-good in 2005, due to a different (competent) booker, a WAAAY better talent pool (first outside exposure of IWS, PWG guys) and probably less deathmatches.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Big Poppa posted:

You see, in a normal drug test - you have a 50/50 chance of failing. But since its Scott Steiner, that percentage goes up to 75%. And then Triple H knows he will fail, so he won't even try.. so we have a 50/50 chance, plus 66 and 2/3, plus....

I love that I've heard the original enough to have steiner act this out in my head. Even if that sounds creepy.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

echopapa posted:

I heard that Darkness Crabtree is really Mike Quackenbush. Is that true?

It's generaly agreed that it'sIcarus, although people think los ice creams are mike quackenbush and hallowicked, which still throws me.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

You know what's a terrible idea? A super-heavyweight title.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

So Jack Evans's corkscrew 630 is still the flippiest move right?

I'm a fan of shooting stardust http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKFyaiHlmOw 32 seconds in

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

bonesquid posted:

Why do a lot of people here hate Cena? He's good on the mic, he's a good worker, and he seems like a pretty nice guy in real life. Am I missing something?

He is booked terribly, brings good matches only very occasionally, and is a gigantic ham. I honestly don't really care that he's a nice guy IRL, since I just find him boring and stale.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

How often throughout the history of wrestling has there been a good feud for the title that wasn't about the title itself?

Well, there are plenty of good feuds that involve a title, you're asking whether there is a good title based feud that isn't title based.

examples: hbk vs jericho from last year, stone cold steve austin vs mr. mcmahon, triple h vs batista

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I believe that also happened on an overseas house show, which caused the Womens' Title to switch hands twice in that tour.

grody but still def posted:

This is less a case of an accident and more doing it on purpose to make women's house shows seem special

No, victoria hosed up. It was a triple threat, and victoria didn't break up the pin. The most telling evidence? They had a rematch the same night, one on one, to give it back to melina, so it wasn't actually one of those "let's give france a title change" thing.

Hell, I saw nearly the same thing at a RAW show in brisbane, except with beth as champ, facing mickie and jillian. Mickie hit her finisher, but jillian stupidly didn't move to break it up, so beth had to kick out.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Bad Wolf posted:

Taker, duh. Though he won't be inducted till the eve of his retirement. And the day after he gets inducted, some silly people will think he will lose the streak, but he won't because he's the goddamn undertaker and he wins at wrestlemania.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Would sunny have done enough to be considered for the hall of fame?

And do you think jericho will get his way and induct lance storm? (not saying jericho is lobbying now, but he would probably love it)

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

PitifulLoser posted:

What was Evolution's vibe? How did they act? Were they liked by fans or disliked or was it a mixture of the two? Were they smarky at all as HHH sometimes (more than sometimes) is?

It did what it was supposed to, be a vehicle for making orton and batista stars in the future, let hhh be mega champ forever, and have flair go around doing stuff that flair does. They acted like a very succesful heel stable with an unorganised resistance. Disliked, but evolution slingshotted each of its members straight into being really over faces because of turning on hhh.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Over-Sold posted:

5) What's with the rumors of Lita enjoying getting pissed on? Is this an actual fetish of hers? Did she really gently caress wrestlers in exchange for wrestling training? Normally I'd just dismiss these as silly rumors, but this is the world of wrestling, so you never know...

The crazy rumour is that she learnt wrestling by essentially being a prostitute to luchadores so that they would teach her, willing to go through with crazy fetishes. Rumours, however.

As somebody said some other time, el dandy will one day die, and all that we will know is who are we to doubt el dandy; and that he once pissed on Lita.

FishBulb posted:

I like the Undertaker but is he really known tremendous quality of wrestling? I mean he brings it but other than occasional big matches with HBK or something its not like hes knocking 8 snowflakes out of the park all the time.

He's being pretty drat great for the last few years.

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

The stable was billed as being the past (Flair), present (HHH), future (Orton) and big stupid muscle (Batista) of wrestling.

Fixed.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

müse posted:

Which leads me to a question...

Would the WWE or TNA ever open itself up to a real documentary? To see what people are really like backstage and see how wrestlers interact and live day to day?

My guess is no.

TNA would do that all the time, for no reason whatsoever.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Brickhouse Betty posted:

The best thing about that was the announcing afterwards. Bobby Heenan said "Wait! Which side of the arena did he go off? Was it the side on the river, or..." :ohdear:

And someone, I think it was Tony Schiavone, replies "What does it matter!? On one side you've got a parking lot, on the other side is water, what does it matter?"

And Heenan just gives him this glare of death, like he said the stupidest loving thing ever, which of course Tony did.

That was bischoff who hosed up, actually.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

SenorSpangiel posted:

Nitro won the IC title when he was in MNM

No, he was still using the gimmick, but he'd left smackdown after turning on mercury. He won it as part of MN.

Oh, and apparently once billy gunn tried to shave A-train. Was this as bad as it sounds?

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 27, 2009

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

I didn't mean to sound pedantic, sorry.

Different question: How many times has Terry Funk actually had retirement matches?

In a similar vein, does anybody know how many stars there are in the sky?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I was watching a match involving the Motor City Machineguns from an impact that was a couple weeks old I think and I noticed one of them took a fall pretty hard and immediately starting pulling his kneepad off frantically.

I remember watching another episode of the show where another guy had done something similar - is this for effect to sell the fall or is this a legitimate signal that they've injured themselves?

Was this the one which made nash angry? If so, it was real and TNA didn't do poo poo.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Jack Krauser posted:

Not really a question so much but did this logo ever confuse anyone else?

For the longest time I had no idea it actually read WCW. I just thought it was some random design.

Is this the infamous birdshit logo?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Do you think Rey Mysterio would have ever gotten over if he never had a mask?

Wasn't he pretty over in WCW without the mask? He was always going to have a mask with his lucha heritage, so it's a bit pointless to ask if he never had the mask.

Matlock posted:

I dunno, Legacy was pretty well put over by the third match. They thought intelligently, used a strategy that worked before, and then just (in their youth) beat the hell out of Michaels until they theirselves were worn out. They took their time, were cocky, and an entirely fresh Triple H took them out due to this.

They came out of that feud fairly even with DX.

The day after hell in a cell, DX had a match. Legacy didn't appear at all.

Legacy aren't treated any different, are now pushed less and don't matter. Although if you read the triple h interview, he believes in people getting to the main event in 5 years plus, so it was never going to happen magically.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 2, 2009

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Sorry for the double post.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Not all Mexican wrestlers have masks. There isn't a specific answer to this question, but I would like to hear other opinions on the subject.

His Lucha heritage of his uncle, a huge influence in his life, being the original rey mysterio. He got over due to his flips originally, and became a good wrestler over time. Look at his stuff in japan, nobody gives a poo poo about how he looks, but they pop huge over his west coast pop.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I wouldn't say ruined. One black mark on your belt's lineage isn't nearly as bad as half of your title changes taking place in a two-year span. Oh, WCW title. Poor, poor, WCW title.

I still love how DDP's 3 reigns were equal to orton's first reign, which people say killed all his momentum. Way to go, WCW.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

TL posted:

Except he really didn't, though. He won it at Unforgiven, from Triple H. He defended it at Surivor Series, against Triple H. He lost it at Armageddon, to Triple H. He has it for three months and did nothing but wrestle Triple H with it. It was extremely frustrating.

To be fair, triple h won it in a triple threat with kane, by pinning kane.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

CM Junk posted:

WM25: Best match of the year
WM24: Main event, second best match of the card
WM23: Best match of the card
WM22: Carried Mark Henry to an acceptable match
WM21: Arguably the best match of the card
WMXX: Return to Deadman gimmick, last Paul Bearer sighting in WWE

Your Undertaker-hate trolling is full of holes. You were better when you tried incorporating the word "tits" into every post you made.

I think he was referring to the entrances. My god do they give you ample time.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Did you type the wrong name? Hogan's the one who spends all his time with Make a Wish. It's the only thing that's unquestioningly decent of him.

Most requested (hogan) is very different from the person who fulfills the most wishes (cena).

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Strike Force was the best tag team and Tito Santana is the man :colbert:

Considering it was 20 years ago, but I keep hearing this, can somebody elaborate on why?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Dancing Peasant posted:

I just assume that America calls it a "clothesline", while Japan calls it a "LAAARIATOOO~~".

The same reason why America calls it a "Vertical Suplex", Japan calls it a "BRAINobustAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH COUNT O TOOOOOOOOOO!."

Oh, how I love Japanese commentary.

On the Matt vs Jeff debate, keep in mind that during their time off from the WWE, jeff went to TNA, and was booed out of ROH. Matt left ROH, with, I believe a "please don't go" chant.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 6, 2009

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Dewwy posted:

I was watching the Bret Hard DVD documentary and during the section on Rowdy Roddy Piper vs. Bret Hart at WM8 Piper claims that that match was the first time someone had 'pinned his shoulders to the mat in 17 years.' Is this at all possibly true?

Then what happened when he challenged Hulk Hogan or other unbeatables?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

TL posted:

They booked a ton of gently caress finishes for Piper. They kept him hugely protected, and I don't think he and Hogan ever had a proper blowoff.

Also not featuring him on PPVs much. He had his "match" against mr. T at WM2, but didn't have a PPV match again until Survivor Series 1989 (I think), where he brawled until it resulted in a double count-out.

LividLiquid posted:

Starrcade '96. Hogan lost clean to Piper's sleeper hold. This wasn't the WWF, so I suppose it only sort-of-counts.

Was it actually clean, or was it WCW clean?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Writer Cath posted:

They seem to alternate that periodically. Sometimes they have it and sometimes they don't. One of the best moments was Rey saying that Eddie would guide him and give him a good number ... and Rey wound up going first :laugh:

Second, which is totally different. Reason I say this, is that some stupid people think winning from #1 is different from winning from #2.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Wasn't black the one that made nidia blind for several months?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

Ah, I had forgotten that this industry is unprofessional and carny ridden for a second. How silly of me.

To be fair, the no-selling thing comes in as well. He gets the opportunity to wrestle in Japan, he just has to wear a mask. He doesn't, and makes the whole tournament look silly. He then no-sells the promoter and excellent shooter who's angry at him.

You really have to read his version of events, he looks like a giant dick.

He got beaten up too much, but it's not rocket science, people.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Oh, and what happened to the ridiuclous over the top amazing phenomenon that was wrestlicious? Will it ever see the light of day?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

That is an excellent question. I always wanted to watch a lotto winner blow all his money on something worthless before he inevitably kills himself.

Poor kid.

Look, the early ninties cartoon era is over, and some bastard lost a lot of money in giving us the oppurtunity to see Daffney as a vampire versus an ice princess.

Oh hey, a second trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffcNrkNehFw appearance by the owner at 2:13.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

Maybe they trademarked those names/nicknames.

Nicknames might be easier to get away with, and I'd be amazed if WWE cares about daffney.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Pneub posted:

Coming out with Orton and Batista kinda started emphasizing how old he was on it's own.

Being called the best of the past didn't help much either.

I loved how the woo video featured so many stagehands who probably just love wrestling and finally got to appear in something.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Probably not the best example of strong style, but Hashimoto vs Regal for the IWGP title should be more accessible http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZLWWY8DN

Regal is a loving dick.

And to me, that's a match which shows the difference between king's road and strong style, by favouring the big long match less, and being closed to MMA.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Oh. Gotchya'. That's a part of my statement that I don't really care about. I probably should have peppered it with a "like" or something, but my only real point is there's no single performer who could turn a company around at the moment or sell out an arena by himself.

Ring of Honor in Madison Square Garden featuring John Cena vs Triple H in the main event.

I think we can all agree that would be a massive failure that might kill the promotion. Whoever you could think of replacing these two with, as major draws in modern wrestling, I think the point still stands.

Golden Bee posted:

It's a...crime that Cryme Tyme hasn't had the titles. They're massively over and all they seem to do is wrestle the Hart Dynasty. I think +80% of the matches they've been in since October are vs. the Hart Dynasty.

They have HUGE attitude problems, are still young enough that they can do whatever, and have some drat bland matches. I don't like them though, so I'm fine with it.

LividLiquid posted:

I thought the Yakuza kick was to the gut, too.

It's exactly as high as chono wants it to be, you hear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Pie The Grand posted:

Just call Generico's the helluva kick like they do in PWG (pronounced hell-OOO-va, which prevented me from getting the joke for like a year and a half).

Great, now you got me to remember:

Why the gently caress can nobody in america pronounce yakuza correctly?