Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm watching the Sting/Hogan match from '97 Starrcade, and it makes me feel a touch wistful for what has become.

Could the WWE have managed to keep from loving him up all the way to now, to make him have a end-of-the-career period comparable to 'Taker's, instead of... Well, you know what has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Sting or Hogan?

Sting, of course. If that had been WCW's Montreal Screwjob, so to speak, and Sting had left after that horrendous show, and done the unthinkable and gone to the WWE, it could very well have completely changed what pro wrestling looked like for the next few years.

If Vince didn't make Sting have some horrible gimmick that they came up with, making it BETTER than Sting, of course.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's Raven up to these days?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Triple H, Batista, and Randy Orton would all be fine.

And isn't that all that really matters?

Triple H would never have gotten over without HBK.

Batista would: See HHH.

Orton would: See Batista.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skinty McEdger posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViNwvQAxeUc

His WCW debut. Note who introduces him.

Holy crap this is amazing.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I keep seeing a picture of two guys' roster page pictures, but both guys had Wolverine gimmicks, and they were in FCW. I think they recently got released.

Anyone have it?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Croc posted:

it was edge who cut the promo he promised he wasn't going to Billy Gunn his KOTR and he didn't :smug:

Edge had already won KotR, and Billy came out to talk poo poo and say he was still the best KotR or whatever. Edge made fun of Billy because at the payperview they had just had, Gunn had been at WWE New York, not actually wrestling and/or mattering in any way.

Edge promised he would take the momentum from this victory and become someone who mattered, not a hopeless failure just two short years later.

Hence: "I will not "Billy Gunn" this title."

There. Now there is no doubt at all.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
A team called Da Soul Touchaz were on the '08 and '09 CHIKARA King of Trios shows. Befoe their match, they had a... catchphrase or something where they all put their hands in the center of a human ring, said the line a bunch of times, sounding like a football team, and then throwing their hands up in the air and going "OHHHH!".

What were they saying, and what does it mean?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Oh BOY was it bad!

Let me put it this way, as a kid you might have watched the unstoppable force of The Ultimate Warrior meet the Immovable Object of Hulkamania. You may have been enthralled and wondered what would happen if they ever met again.

If you THEN thought,"I hope that they have a lovely match and use it give Hogan's boring, bald no-name brother a push that will never go anywhere because he's a useless waste of space!" then congratulations, you are WCW's Head Booker from 1998.

Horace was Hulk's nephew. If he was Hulk's brother, he might have been booked better and actually ever DONE anything.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Capsaicin posted:

Speaking of Wikipedia, this is probably the worst wrestling related article I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_Series_(2007)

There's a number of old wrestling articles rewritten to be "FULLY AWARE OF THE FACT THAT WRESTLING IS FAKE", and it's super annoying.

Look around through more of the 1999-2005 pay-per-view articles, and you'll find a shitload of 'em.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is a forearm shiver?

Why is it called a shiver?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TL posted:

Except he really didn't, though. He won it at Unforgiven, from Triple H. He defended it at Surivor Series, against Triple H. He lost it at Armageddon, to Triple H. He has it for three months and did nothing but wrestle Triple H with it. It was extremely frustrating.

That's the thing I hate the most about the WWE right now.

They have this mindset that only their tippy-top guys can get shots at the title, and it makes me not give a gently caress about the John Cena, Randy Orton and DX division. If they would build to title matches with promoes and runins, rather than six man tags, normal matches, tag matches and triple threats with their top dudes, and had actual title defenses against people who weren't in the main event, then the champ could continue to look strong and all that, but he'd look like a real champion in any other sport.

It was really bad back then, and still is bad now.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rockfish posted:

if so, then they were pretty stupid because urine is generally pretty close to sterile, almost any other substance would be more effective

Urine is pretty close to sterile when it comes out of the bladder.

Not so much immediately after that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

2 questions: First, when does a clothesline become a lariat, and second, was Shane Douglas ever really considered a good wrestler?

Back in the day, the difference was how you held your arm. A lariat, or a lasso is flexible, and loose. It bends. A clothesline, on the other hand, is straight, and if you run into it, it's tight.

It's interchangable, nowadays.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How did the infamous Owen Hart impersonator, Jason Sensation, get noticed to be part of that D-X skit making fun of the Nation?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bearnt! posted:

Can also throw in the New Age Outlaws as a team that never turned on each other I think. They each just sort of drifted apart and went after the IC and Hardcore titles. Then Billy Gunn became one of the most worthless KOTR winners of all time and it gets cloudy for me after this.

I'm fairly sure that after Road Dogg and X-pac were the flagbearers for DX, when HHH had gone off to do his own thing, Billy Gunn got turned on.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

The way you originally read that post scares me for many reasons, chief among them that "pegging" implies he used a strap-on dong and not his own.

Tennis racket.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TL posted:

Which is one of the biggest reasons his last book was such a turn off, and why I can't watch TNA. I hate the idea of my favorite wrestler ever falling so deep into self parody. I still think Mick Foley has something to contribute in wrestling-I think his final promo with Edge before leaving WWE shows that. But I highly doubt that, at this stage in his career, that contribution should be as an active wrestler.

Honestly, I don't get why the WWE doesn't have space for guys like Mick to help teach the young wrestlers the most important thing that so few are getting: How to cut a promo.

With the major-league talent the WWE has on tap, from Austin to Flair to Jericho to (I hate to say it, but...) Triple H to HBK to so many others, they could very easily have promo training days in FCW or before tapings or something, and the young guys who are struggling to become truly great at promoes could learn so much from 'em.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

kdrudy posted:

That's fair, she was in the ring with guys that could carry just about anyone. I guess her not looking ridiculous out there was that she was booked well.

Chyna was booked best when she was forearming dudes in the balls.

She didn't need to go beyond her abilities, then.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Krauser posted:

Bischoff's WCW theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULXOEmphorE

:psyduck: The moment I hit play on this, I tensed up and remembered how much I used to HATE that music, because he always used to be on the nWo's side and would gently caress over my beloved WCW guys.

That's some distinctive music right there.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Well this just makes no sense. Why would Jericho switch to a move that is easier to counter? Doesn't he want to win?!

He's so good, he can win with the worst submission hold ever. :smug:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

whoa, did this really happen? even in the indy shows I've worked, the referees need to know the finishes and match times so the show can be paced properly. I assume this would be even more strict on televised WWE shows.

WWE tried it for about 3 months last year or so, it didn't work well.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Kenta Kobashi's little-used "Diamond Head" maneuver named after the metal band?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

I hate the "beat the champion to get a title shot" booking that happens a lot. I feel like that's a relatively recent phenomenon (like, late-'90s). Did they actually do that a lot in the olden days and I just don't remember it?

I'm pretty sure it's something that came up in the days since Nitro.

Challengers and champions would rarely meet back in the day, to the best of my knowledge, but since top matches were being given away every week, something needs to be figured out to make things make sense.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What has Delirious been up to for the past year or two?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

dusty udder smoker posted:

ROH/NOAH.

In ROH, had a crush on Daizee Haze, Rhett Titus kept cock blocking him, Delirious turned emo, joined Age of the Fall, did nothing for a few months, turned face again and became just friends with Daizee, and has been floating around in the midcard not doing much in ROH.

He has a GHC Junior Heavyweight title shot coming up in NOAH.

I knew what happened to him up until the Age of the Fall angle, and then he just seemed to vanish.

During the time period after that, he's seriously just been doing nothing important?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

In ROH, yeah. But his stock is rising higher in Japan so he's been performing much more there.

Plus, he's the trainer for the ROH Academy. He's doing all right for a masked lizard man.

MassRayPer posted:

He had a brief program with Austin Aries for the ROH title and feuded with Sonjay Dutt for about 4 months. He was all over ROH TV too.

Cool, that's exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Von Dozier posted:

I think PPV should allow blading, and maybe a few chairshots to build a feud.

What TNA does though is absolutely retarded. Literally someone bleeding and taking a prop to the head every other segment and match, TV and PPV.

The WWE should allow as many chairshots as the wrestlers want.

Just don't take them unprotected to the head. Put your arms up. Take it on the back. Or the chest. Or the shoulder. Or the leg. Or the ankle. Or the knee. Or the stomach. There's a zillion places to get smacked with a chair that won't give wrestlers concussions.

gently caress.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

tzirean posted:

This is basically CZW.

Yeah.

I could probably find you a razorblade board/chair match if you want, dude. They exist.

God, deathmatch tournaments are my secret shame. It's hilarious to watch these guys horribly loving themselves up for little pay and no glory outside of a gym with 50-60 people in 'em.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CVagts posted:

You must be in absolute love with IWA:MS then.

Actually? Yes, I do/did. IWA:MS is really the place that didn't do poorly done/totally retarded deathmatch stuff like CZW and still put on regular deathmatch tournaments.

CZW is a really, really bad fed. Worlds worse than IWA:MS. Ian is a lovely booker and a terrible wrestler and any vanity angle he does is awful, but his tournament shows, both King of the Deathmatch and the TPI are entertaining.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HulkaMatt posted:

When they physically can't go anymore.

Hopefully it won't happen Misawa-style.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HulkaMatt posted:

Look Taker/Muta would be great and all but I wanna see if Taker can kick out of the Burning Hammer.

I honestly don't want to see a guy like Undertaker, with an injury record and age like he has, take the Burning Hammer.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Salt In The Wound posted:

His tattoos were inked from the blood of wrestlers he has defeated at Wrestlemania. Except Shawn Michaels, whose blood burns the Undertaker like holy water.

That's the ingredient he needed to truly get rid of his "SARA" tattoo.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lone Rogue posted:

chuck norris is a bible thumping retard who was never that good of an action hero

undertaker cheated on his wife to gently caress a new scronny bitch who is a better looking version of his previous wife only younger

I say Taker has a long ways to go.

He's a better action hero than Chuck is, though. :eng101:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Paul London looks strangely like Christian Bale.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TL posted:

I haven't seen this interview, but based on the bullet points, particularly the Terry Funk storyline, it really seems to be subscribing to the worst Russo-era WCW "it's all a work" philosophy, with announcers talking about unprofessional Goldberg was for no-showing and how Nash and Steiner now have to improvise a finish.

"I have absolutely no context and really don't understand what is going on, but I want to rip on Jim Cornette as well."

At the very least watch the thing before you start bashing it, dude. Cornette had a lot of good ideas in it, and while there's a massive fixation on old farts, he was very much focusing on the promoes he knew these guys could deliver.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LightsGameraAction posted:

I am a little surprised they're making Orton the new poster child while still being buddy-buddy with the military though, considering he was DD'd and all.

The Viper Randy Orton didn't like taking orders, so he RKOed his commanding officer. Poof, instant DD.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Who is the best wrestler currently on the American independent circuit?

Ask five indy fans, get five different answers. With so many indy guys being snapped up as of late, most of the tippy top guys are working in TNA or WWE.

Mike Quackenbush is a popular answer.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Got awful? Hasn't it always just been a guy making fun of stupid things in wrestling? How was it superior in the past compared to today?

It used to be funny.

Now it's just terrible.

Aren't many of the "entries" these days written by some new guy who sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pneub posted:

So... any loving Bryan Danielson match is what you guys are getting at.

Bryan Danielson is a very good wrestler who has wrestled many, many matches because he lives for the wrestling business.

It's not hard to see why he has a lot of well-regarded matches.

(also gently caress you amdrag rules)