Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

So, maybe this is a dumb question, but: what's the business sense behind giving top Divas (and future top Divas) only a generic given name? Just from a recognition standpoint, if I search for "Emma" on Google it's going to take pages to find the wrestle past all of the Austen adaptations. It's not just her, obviously: Paige, Naomi... is Natalya's last name still canonically Neidhart? And they've done that for a while, too.

It's something that's never made sense to me. WWE's all about building up their wrestlers as characters and brands for people to buy, so why give these characters nothing but generic given names? It just seems (to me) counterintuitive to what their presumable goal is. Is there a known reason WWE does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Cody's Disasterkick makes me mark out. I loving love Cody Rhodes.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Cromulent posted:

They actually do a pretty good job of making it not look like a high school gym, but I'm fairly certain this one is from Liberty High School in NY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ZIFprXYM0

Christ, McMahon was such a terrible announcer. It just astounds me every time.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Perigryn posted:

I remember during the first heel JR run

...there was a second? They tried that terrible idea twice?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sure, the Megapowers explode. Hogan's getting looked at by a trainer and Savage beats the poo poo out of him after accusing him of being into Elizabeth.

Which he totally, obviously was.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Cardboard Box posted:

how many times have we had the commentary discussion? the commentators have guidelines. they are told when to ignore calling a match. they are told when to completely poo poo on a segment. they are told when to do the awful fake laughter. I have no doubt that with a little less restraint and more gut reactions that the commentary would be a lot better than it is.

Cole has been at this a long time. he's a good announcer when given the chance. Cole with people telling him what to do in his headset, not quite as much.

Cole's "MICK FOLEY HAS ACHIEVED HIS DREAMS! AND THE DREAM OF ANYONE WHO'S EVER BEEN TOLD 'YOU CAN'T DO IT!'" for Foley's first title win might be my favorite call ever. It tells the story of the match and also connects it to the lives of everyone watching it on TV. Cole is capable of loving great calls.

Notably, McMahon was busy onscreen when Cole called that match.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

bobkatt013 posted:

Its a shame that JR was not able to make that call.

I actually think the call being made by the much younger, number two guy adds to it.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Speaking of Ryder, could someone quick recap his career for me? All I know is he started in fake ECW, ended up being pushed off a stage in a wheelchair by Kane, and somewhere in the middle he had an Internet show. Apparently he was really popular at some point? That just blows my mind, because I've seen him on TV maybe twice since I started watching in July.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Wolverine vs undertaker for the streak!

Punk's not coming back.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Was the Ultimate Warrior from outer space? I've never gotten a clear answer to this.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Halloween Jack posted:

According to his interviews, the Ultimate Warrior "was sent in a capsule, from a place far from here." He claims that he was given the power of the Ultimate Warrior in "[his] final meeting with the gods from the heavens above." He's also said that he can "feel the power, floating through the veins, of the warriors," and that he "feel[s] the injection from the gods above," further implying that these mysterious gods are the source of his power. To date, Warrior's gods have yet to be implicated in any of the steroid scandals surrounding the WWF/WWE.

Warrior made frequent references groups of "warriors" other than himself. Information on these other warriors is scant, consisting entirely of cryptic, poetic references. Warrior has stated that "the family that [he] live[s] for only breathes the air that smells of combat," and that he "looks to the skeletons of warriors past." He has also discussed loading a spaceship with rocket fuel so that it could be boarded by the warriors.

The emergent narrative seems to be that the Ultimate Warrior is a member of a caste of slave-soldiers, who serve a technologically advanced alien race whom they do not understand and regard with religious reverence. The Ultimate Warrior, as his name implies, is possibly the greatest and the last surviving member of this race. Warrior has said that he "live[s] for anger and frustration" and that "nightmares are the best part of [his] day." In context with his statements about his fellow warriors, this implies post-traumatic stress resulting from conflicts fought under orders from his alien masters. His statements clearly imply that they used their technology to grant him physical enhancements, explaining his ability to survive suffocation, cobra venom, and poisoning by an expert practitioner of voodoo.

This is incredible. You're incredible. This is a better answer than I could have ever hoped for, thank you.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2014 around 20:01

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Wasn't Flair's thing that Vince just didn't want see him in the main event long-term? He got the Randy Savage/CM Punk spot in WWF, so he went back to WCW where he could be a top dog. Then Hogan came.

Halloween Jack posted:

You're welcome...but I'm still reviewing the primary sources. Later this evening I hope to be able to offer a brief exegesis on Warrior's obsession with his unseen rival, Ho Kogan.

More hyped for this than Wrestlemania.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

The Senator Giroux posted:

Wasn't it garbage trucks? Why is it cool to ride on a garbage truck?

Why is it cool to host a beauty pageant for middle-aged women with bad teeth?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

JBL's bisexual?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

On the same subject, how was Macho as a color commentator? The only show I've seen much of with him on it is Wrestlemania 9 and I can't judge him for not turning that turd into a diamond.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

ZDar Fan posted:

I've been looking for a video clip I saw years ago, and I don't know anything about it except that it was from an 80's WWF event. Mean Gene was talking to some fans and asking them who they thought would win the match or something, and when a fan didn't want to say, Gene said something like "you can tell me, it's a kayfabe deal!" I don't recall the exact words, but Gene definitely said "kayfabe." Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

This is from one of the first two Slammies, I want to say '87. I believe the exact quote is "You can tell me, you're not talking to some jabroni!"

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Dave Meltzer posted:

Mankind, Goldust and Undertaker filmed a sports related comedy show as part of a pilot with the people who did Second City TV. The gimmick was the three wrestlers were their in their wrestling personas sitting at a bar discussing how-brow subjects such as philosophy.
This bit jumped out to me in the miscellaneous section of this week's retro Observer. Did anything ever come of this? Did it ever make it to the public? It sounds amazing.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at Mar 5, 2014 around 20:57

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Endorph posted:

So he's had the best acting career of any wrestler. Not many people can say they were in the only good Batman movie ever made.

I cannot fathom the mind of a man who claims to love Batman & Robin but not the 1966 movie.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

JR is rasslin made flesh and there is at least one person (Kevin Dunn) in charge of the broadcasts who will do anything to get away from that. Hence they repeatedly humiliate him. Unfortunately he remains far and away their best commentator so they bring him in for Mania usually. JR is getting up there in years, though no more than Lawler, really.

I am not sure that Michael Cole has ever helped sell a ticket or a PPV buy in his life, let alone put over anything.

Michael Cole made the best call in WWE history. Dude has talent, even if he doesn't get to show it.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Is it accurate to say Randy Savage was the clear #2 guy for most of the Hulkamania period?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I always assumed that was just everything he'd done to his body catching up all at once, Dorian Gray style.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

MassRafTer posted:

Savage did the best Wrestlemania business with Hogan, but if you are looking at the period as a whole realistically it was Piper.

Piper, really, wow. I always had the impression he kind of fell off after WM 2.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Wait, I thought that got settled? I'm sure I've seen and heard "WWF" plenty of times on the Network...

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

So, I've been watching some 80's shows on the Network, and I keep asking one question:
Why and how did Lord Alfred Hayes get and keep his job? The man looks terrified whenever he's in front of a camera, stumbles and stutters over anything that's prewritten and generally sounds nervous as hell on commentary. He seriously sounds not so much like English is his second language, but like he's unfamiliar with language itself. And he was employed that way for ages!

Was he an old buddy of Vince Sr. or something?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

It's not like it was the first time it's been done. See the Survivor Series egg and the Black Scorpion.

Wasn't the Gobbledy Gooker always the plan with the egg, though? That was just a bad idea to begin with, I thought. They seriously thought people were going to go nuts for the Gooker.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

LividLiquid posted:

No, he got it right. As I remember, it was "Oh, and the guy in the hood? His initials are VM."

Weird way of saying it.

Vincent Moneybags!?!?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

The person I'm worried about is Cody. He could be so much bigger than he is: he can talk, he's handsome, he's great in the ring, and he's spun gold out of everything they've given him post-Legacy. But I don't get it, he's just not "there". What more can they do with him?

So, I'm asking y'all, then: What do you think the future ceiling is for Cody Rhodes?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Thanks for your thoughts, y'all, appreciate your opinions. Plus, I got the thought of Cody Rhodes as Mark Henry, which I will cherish.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Lost Rivell posted:

I've been meaning to ask around since the launch of the Network, but: as someone who never saw the appeal in WCW, what are some good PPVs to look at that might change my mind? I've been told Starrcade '89 is a great one, but aside from that, I literally know nothing.

You're thinking of Great American Bash '89.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

MassRafTer posted:

-Hulk Hogan and Friends Tour (not sure how it did business wise but given the complaints about MLM I'd guess poorly)

Wait, what was this? This is the only one I've never heard of. Was Hogan in some MLM scheme, because that's so loving appropriate.

(and the Hulkster was invested heart and soul in Pastamania, brother!)

e: Also, I don't know how well they did financially, but Hogan/Brooke Knows Best made it to four seasons collectively, which isn't too bad.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

LividLiquid posted:

What's MLM?

Multi-Level Marketing. It's Mary Kay party poo poo, you agree to buy a hugely expensive "starter pack" of some average or slightly above average product, then try to sell it to your friends (at exorbitant prices) to make your money back. poo poo takes over people's lives but they keep buying more and more packs because the MLM company operates like a self-help/motivational speech tour and convinces people it's their one shot to be rich. And also because the constant attempts to sell overpriced stuff to their friends drives off all the person's friends not associated with the product.

The perfect industry for Hogan, basically.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at Apr 3, 2014 around 01:36

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

DannoMack posted:

Has anyone ever said who it was who made up "compromised to a permanent end" about Osama bin Laden?

I always thought that was Cena ad libbing.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Monkeycheese posted:

Believe it or not, adults can have relationships that aren't 100% alliances or 100% adversarial.

We were talking about X-Pac though?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Luigi Thirty posted:

So what would it be, the Plan 9 from Outer Space of wrestling?

exˇticos can be Glen or Glenda I guess

That can barely be called a professional production; by any modern standards, all of Woods' films would be considered indie productions with the possible exception of Glen or Glenda. TNA is more like the American International Pictures of wrestling, though that's doing a real disservice to Corman.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

MassRafTer posted:

Those being?

Drew had been de-pushed before his incident.

John Morrison had never received a giant push and was a midcarder before and after.

Triple H was never punished for Chyna being crazy.

John Cena's wife leaves him and next thing you know he's jobbing to a vanilla midget.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is WCW Cutthroat Island, Heaven's Gate, or Pluto Nash?

In terms of industry impact Heaven's Gate is actually pretty perfect comparison. Some people actually like that movie, though, so maybe the better comparison is Mars Needs Moms.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I've only recently just got back into wrestling and I just watched Summerslam 2013. So i'm wondering just what the general reaction was to Bryan beating Cena clean because when I was watching that was basically unheard of, hell it's basically unheard of now. Were there any leaks about the outcome? Because if not the reaction must have been insane.

The outcome of the match wasn't in doubt once everyone knew how bad Cena's arm was and that was pretty common knowledge a couple weeks before the show.

What was in doubt was how clean it would be and whether the injury would play into it, and that came as a major surprise. Hardly anyone was expecting a perfectly clean win, and IMO that was the real beginning of what now seems to be WWE's #1 booking project of getting all of their eggs out of the Cena basket.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I'm thinking specifically WWE. WCW squandered so much talent it's not really even worth considering. I feel like WWE generally pushes a guy if he can talk and/or is big, so I'm curious if there was anyone in the "good speaker" role that didn't get a decent push.

Brodus Clay? Never cared much about the guy but that Miz TV interview he did after his heel turn was actually really good and got lots of heat.

Thank God Miz TV appears to be dead. Bring on Ambrose Alley.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Cromulent posted:

Vince has always been about cross-promoting a Tyson fight. He even proposed it to Kevin Nash in 1995 (a fight in Central Park or something). I doubt he was actually negotiating anything.

You mean there was a chance we could have seen Big Daddy Cool no-sell an Iron Mile punch? We live in the worst of all possible worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Was the Rock's feet touching at the 2000 Rumble a botch that they worked into the storyline, or was it some kind of Russoesque shoot/swerve thing? If not, why mention it at all? The PPV cam didn't pick it up.

«3 »