Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

2000 is really really good. Also 2013, which was a pretty great event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Smoking Crow posted:

It's ok if Regal didn't get really strung out at the end of the gimmick, it would have been revealed that he was gay and compensating by being a lumberjack

This is not "ok"

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

What actually is this? I've seen it mentioned but never with any details.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

So I've been going back and reading some GDT, which has been pretty fun. It got me wondering: What's the consensus worst Raw and worst PPV since WH2000 became PSP? I'd be interested in reading the reactions at the time.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That was the episode where the segments aired out of order, so the reveal of Jarrett as one of the Villanos happened half an hour before the actual match took place.

Sometimes I wonder how Nitro even made it to air

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Given that he's the best pure striker in the wwe, what was the explanation for the undertaker not taking part in brawl for all? Didny suit his character / push?

they didn't want a star to get hurt

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Has the "Literal King of the Ring" gimmick gotten over for anyone since the Macho King? The silence King Barrett walked out to last night was unbearable.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

How is the answer anything but Hogan/Sid? The finish is a DQ from a botched run-in

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Smoking Crow posted:

What the gently caress was up with the Miss NWO contest at Souled Out? Was it an ironic thing?

I assume it was meant to get heat by depriving the audience of sexy women? Maybe? It just made the nWo look even more like posers

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Why did Heyman fire them when he could have booked them in a match with the Gangstas? Seems shortsighted IMO

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

The World's Largest Athlete The Big Show Paul "Big Nasty" Wight would have a quarrel with that, dude

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

The real question for me is how does Sable live
Does she get to have a phone

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

HHH with Batista should go in there

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

In what universe does that information begin with "to be fair"?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Imagine face "doctor of thuganomics" John Cena beating cowardly heel Booker T at Wrestlemania to win his first world title

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

DynamiteKidd posted:

Do you have any idea how easily you could have simply searched "david flair titantron" and found out for yourself

The short answer is "yes", but there's a caveat in that hte version you've probably seen is fan-edited, extended, and has extra footage of David and Ric

Actually bc of all the fan versions you cite here it's not so easy to know it's legit from a Google search as you demonstrated yourself

But yes the David Flair titantron that is just his name, him standing around, and Ric Flair looking underwhelmed is the legit one used in his one WWE match

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Tito Santana was nothing but garbage.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

It's weird that came up for Al's toy at the same time the Rock was giving Rock Bottoms to Stephanie on the reg

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Genius was a fine wrestler in his own right, so while his push may have been above his talent level (1-0 against Hogan!) I doubt that the other wrestlers would perceive his employment as solely a favor to Macho. He'd been in the business something like 15 years at that point. And even if they did think he was just a favor to Macho, why would they make shoot gay jokes about the straight brother of their second biggest star?

You're being worked, JACK

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

D-Bry and THE RYBACK were travel buddies, which gave us the great Panera story.

Same with Kofi Kingston and CM Punk, who would often refer to Kofi as his "road wife"

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Trollologist posted:

My thought is that it doesn't make any sense to pay a champ more that the mid card since the only reason the Brooklyn brawler isn't 16time wwe champ is booking. (A but of an exaggeration there, but you see what I'm getting at)

This makes very little sense and, respectfully, makes me wonder if you really should be running a wrestling business.

Workers should be compensated for the revenue they generate for the company. What money was the Brooklyn Brawler generating for WWF in 1988? What money was Macho Man, World Champion, generating? Paying them the same even though one is the centerpiece of your organization and the other is a jobber having two minute matches is only going to have the effect of losing you Macho Man.

It's also a ridiculous idea because no, actually, booking wasn't the only thing keeping the Brawler from being a 16 time champion. Sure , they could have done it in theory, but there are tangible skills like work rate and promo ability as well as intangible traits like charisma and image that a champion requires and a jobber doesn't. Brawler didn't have those. A champion Brawler would have bankrupted the company.

If you don't understand this, should you be running a wrestling promotion when your other major idea is to make it more like 2000 WCW?

E: more specifically with merch, WWF is moving 100,000 Hulkamania shirts because the fans love and admire Hulk Hogan. Why should Brawler get that money? The disparity will obviously be much less on a random indie with mostly no-names, but if you're ever going to be profitable some limited number of your wrestlers will be the draws of the company. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for profit sharing plans and fair payment and the current model in mainstream wrestling is absurdly exploitative of the workers. But suggesting that no one wrestler has more value than any other and thus they should all be compensated the same is also exploitative of the men and women who will end up doing the most work in your company.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 29, 2015

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

At the end of his US title run Dean was stuffing half of the belt he never defended down his pants.

It was awesome.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Impact isn't on the Network.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

MassRafTer posted:

Yes, and as you imply he would still try it and

get stuck.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

checksin posted:

Is there a not-gonna-happen match today that would be greater than Tanahashi vs Cena

plucky champ Bryan vs monster challenger Lesnar is a match I'll never get over not getting :(

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Helped that, for whatever reason, Hogan sold for him on TV more than he had any heel since Andre

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Obvious example, but Macho worked 4 matches at WrestleMania 4 including the main event. Liz came out in a different dress for each one, which was a great touch.

Mankind and the Rock also each worked 4 matches at the Deadly Games tournament at Survivor Series 98, culminating in a pretty nasty main event against each other, but for both of them that includes a >1 minute squash/flash pin in the first round.

"Ladies and gentlemen.... DUANE GILL!"

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I'll have you know Lanny Poffo is 1-0 against Hulk Hogan!

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

That had nothing to do with any extent that the Goldust character "worked" because almost all of his matches were heatless snoozes. He was entirely reliant on the gay character stuff for reactions, and once they removed that and turned him face he lost any ground he had.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Halloween Jack posted:

Shocking that wrestling audiences didn't know what to make of a bizarre glam rock throwback character until they were given clear instructions to hate him.

So they could have put anyone else in the role, and the result would've been the same as long as that guy knew how to gyrate suggestively? Come on now. Dustin's size and style made it possible for him to feud with guys like Razor and Taker.

The Undertaker matches are all terrible, and the audiences for those matches and the Ramon matches stopped reacting the moment he stopped touching himself and started wrestling.

Dustin absolutely put his all into the character, but so did Papa Shango. The instant he toned down the gay schtick (because GLAAD made them) no one cared. A month after he turned face Marlena was more over than him.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

For worst wrestler with no excuse I'd go with Mr. Kennedy/Anderson. He was a decent worker, decent talker, and he got pushed seriously in two companies, but he never made himself a star. It's one of the only clear-cut cases I can think of where a guy was given opportunities, had everything going for him, and never hit home.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

That's insane. Beefcake never meant anything for business; Warrior, Andre, Savage, Piper and even Orndorf did. He was never going to be the number two face while those guys were around. And even if they weren't, Dibiase and Roberts would have surpassed him.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

The Hogan title matches are fun for what they are, Hogan losing to and then slaying the monster. But I'm a big (WWF-era) Hogan apologist.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Mankind was a masochist, Cactus Jack was a sadist. Most of Mankind's matches were built around him withstanding punishment, Jack's were built around him dishing it out.

Dude Love was a loser, and all of his matches were built around him losing.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Great Power Uti

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

THE HELIOCENTRIC COMMUNITY!?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Bret Hart did table spots in several of his big matches starting around 94. They got huge reactions.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Here's a question, and I expect MRT would likely know this: did ANYBODY peg Hogan as a possibility of being the 3rd man leading up to BATB '96? Or did WCW get it right when it counted and keep that poo poo on a need to know basis?

Bobby Heenan

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Luger only had good matches when he was carried by workhorses like Tatanka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Shawn's 1996 run drew big houses, actually, just not ratings or PPV buys. So while he wasn't an out and out success, he was hardly a failure like Diesel.