Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
What is Cody Rhodes's ceiling? He has a great look, has shown ability with vastly different characters and seems (to my untrained eye) to be at least a competent worker. I think he's great (mostly because of his American Psycho impression) but I don't know where he's headed long-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I'm seeing a Daniel Bryan/Cody Rhodes feud that elevates both wrestlers and introduces them to the main card... but, you know, WWE.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

edit: To give an example, in what ways are monster heels filmed? Are there distinct ways of filming them that communicate their absolute dominance, camera angles and suchlike? I want to say there are, but would have to do some research because up until now I never thought about it.

They used to film the audience from the entrance ramp and then have Mark Henry step in front of the camera to make it feel like he was larger than life. You can see it about 1:45 into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWKyWeizIoc

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Dr. rear end posted:

When? I'm not seeing it on there and the only loss to Big Show I found was after a Seth/J&J distraction spot.

Yeah, Reigns was poised for the Spear, Rollins jabbed him in the back (?) with the MITB briefcase and then Big Show chokeslammed him for the pin.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The funniest thing about Ryder was that they stuck him in the Kane storyline and then immediately put Santino in a bunch of storylines that felt mapped out for Ryder (winning the US Title again, being Teddy Long's assistant, almost beating Daniel Bryan at Elimination Chamber). It was like they find-replaced Ryder's name with Santino's.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I'm catching up on stuff I missed and I gotta ask, what was the reaction for the 18 second fart of match between Bryan and Sheamus at Mania? What a horrific idea. Extreme Rules even seems like they tried to make Bryan a heel but nobody took is seriously. Was it WWE trying to gently caress over Bryan and stop his fanbase or something?

It was the perfect ending to the character, it was just that Daniel Bryan was portraying the character so everyone thought it was the WWE burying him.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Cody Rhodes & Dolph Ziggler as a face tag team that wears stupid uniforms and never talks is pretty over in another dimension.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Mark Henry's House of Pain run was awesome, mostly because he talked about how he had been disrespected his whole career and was going to win the title and then actually backed it up. He followed through, which is something a lot of heels don't do nowadays.

2011 was when I started watching wrestling again and the World Heavyweight championship had the following feuds:

-Christian wins the title off Alberto Del Rio
-Christian loses it to Randy Orton the next Smackdown, turns heel in their ensuing feud and the two have a bunch of great matches
-Orton retains but then loses it to monster heel Mark Henry in kind of a squash that made Mark Henry look like a beast
-Big Show challenges Mark Henry, spurred on by his little buddy (and Money in the Bank winner) Daniel Bryan
-Big Show wins the title but then Daniel Bryan cashes in immediately after, turns into a smug rear end in a top hat and manages to hold onto the title until Wrestlemania, where 18 seconds happens

That was probably the best extended run of title feuds the WWE has had in the time I've been watching. Every feud fed into the next and there were a variety of challengers and match types. I enjoyed Smackdown from basically May to April the next year.

Then Sheamus won the title and feuded with Alberto Del Rio for 2 straight years and I wanted to die.

Alexander Hamilton fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 11, 2016

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It's funny how JBL's match was seen as appropriately hilarious comeuppance while Daniel Bryan's 18 seconds was seen as a burial.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

bradzilla posted:

Haha yeah a guy asking to retire by being squashed and a guy booked to be squashed to kill his heat are totally the same

I was pretty new to wrestling for that whole storyline and I didn't read the sheets or anything but I never felt that Bryan was booked to kill his heat (most of heat at the time was heel heat since he was really good at being a smug vegan rear end in a top hat boyfriend). It lined up perfectly with the story they had told; Bryan had spent almost 6 months avoiding a fair fight and he got more and more full of himself and then when he finally got into a fair fight, his arrogance got him squashed. It was a good storyline with a solid payoff. People just reacted badly to it because they were convinced Bryan was going to get squashed after that. Maybe Meltzer said he was or something, I don't know.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
There are times where caring about the backstage stuff impacts storylines (Christian's heel turn after losing to Randy Orton was a good storyline that a lot of people rejected because they thought Christian was being buried), but there are times where things would be completely baffling if you didn't follow backstage stuff (imagine not knowing anything but what was presented on-screen during the end to last year's Rusev/Ziggler feud). It tends to even out, I think.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Jason Sextro posted:

A contender emerges!

All right, if Nash comes out of semi- or total retirement to get Randy Orton to job to him I'll have to give him the edge over Hogan.

Nash came out of total retirement and hi-jacked CM Punk's white hot storyline, making it all about him.

Of course, he ended up losing to the real King (of Kings) of Backstage Politics at the end of that run...

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The first Shield match is still my favorite because I don't think anyone anticipated just how amazing that match was going to be. Rollins was the underwhelming NXT champ, Ambrose was still thought of as a deathmatch guy, and Leakee loving sucked in his what, 2 appearances on NXT? Even on the other side, 2/3rds of the match were Ryback and Kane. But then the match loving ruled and The Shield actually won and everyone was hype as hell after that.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Would anyone like to help me out and give me a rundown of Aron Rex? It sounds hilarious.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Haha okay cool, thanks

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Sandman McMahon posted:

Just so you know, the original Damien Sandow gimmick was very good, despite Sandow now being always bad.

The gimmick was amazing but ARON REX was only okay playing at it. You always kind of got the feeling that he wasn't actually that smart.

Holding the mic like a snifter was A+ work, though, I admit.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

when the gently caress did wikipedia eliminate wrestling finishers from their wrestler bio pages

Relatedly, why is every wrestling article written so horribly on Wikipedia? Is there one freak who makes them all sound like a robot struggling to explain the concept of wrestling to an alien race? We know the outcomes are predetermined, dipshit, you don't have to put that at the top of every single PPV article ever written.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

Does anyone remember the one guy who absolutely refused to allow Zack Ryder for some reason to have his own Wikipedia article? Like it went on for a year after Ryder split from Hawkins and everything that happened in Ryder's single career had to go on the page for their tag team because this one guy was able to use his pull on Wikipedia to prevent anyone for making a page for Zack. Why he decided to exercise his power that way is anyone's guess.

I like to think this was Curt Hawkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Someone post the gif of him throwing that tech guy into the netherworld.