Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I don't recall where I read this, but I've heard that in the WWE, it's in your best interest to vocally hate Obama around Vince McMahon. Is there any credibility to people actually getting bumps/promotions simply for being republican?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

skyliner posted:

Does anyone else have wrestlers living near them?

Jim Ross lives about a half hour away, and my junior high wrestling coach was Charlie Haas's high school wrestling coach.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

HHH vs Hogan is one of my guilty pleasures. The match is horrible, the finish terrible, and the build awkward as hell. That said theres something about watching two master politicians going head tohead and giving the other as little as they possibly can.

The first live event I ever went to was a Smackdown during the build to this and there was a battle royal to start off the show. The last two men in the ring were Triple H and Hogan and they would both go over the ropes and touch the floor at the same time several times in a row. I think before they finally decided to have a real match for the show's main event they had 4 double eliminations.

Then you get to their real match and it felt like a contest to see who could pretend their legs work properly the hardest.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

So are there any really good singles matches under The Miz's belt? Because I haven't seen one yet. Please direct me.

His match against John Morrison on the first RAW of 2011 was a fun match. It was basically a JoMo offensive showcase though.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah that was definitely Dustin. Taking off the paint seems to visually age him 20 years nowadays.

Not only that, but he looks exactly like his dad. He should just go back to impersonating Dusty, now that I think about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLrHeRYuXw0

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lamuella posted:

The thing about heel heat is that the reaction you're aiming for is "I hate this guy, I want to see him get his rear end kicked", and the reaction too many bad heels get is "I hate this guy, I never want to see him again".

It has to be fun to hate someone, and my problem with Orton as a heel (and as a face, to be honest) is that I don't have fun watching him. I don't want to see him get his head kicked in, I just don't want to see him wrestle.

Kurt Angle was so fun to boo :allears:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Chunky Delight posted:

Who was Pro Wrestling's version of Jackie Robinson?
I got to imagine given wrestling audiences tendencies to boo gays and non Americans that this guy's life was a living hell and that it took a lot of courage just to make it to the ring every night.

I'm frankly shocked that Muhammad Hassan wasn't assaulted by fans, but there's probably a better answer to your question.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Does anyone know anyplace where a wrestler's lifts were recorded? Like a website or anything that could tell me Hulk Hogan's bench press in the 80's or what John Cena can squat? Hell, even if its in kayfabe I'd still like to see what weights the wrestlers could move.

Hulk Hogan can at least deadlift a 900 lb. giant so there's a good starting point.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

Who would you say is the Modern day JOB squad in wwe?

It used to be Nexus/Corre but they at least win some of the time now. Now it's probably the entire cast of Superstars.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

It really loving pisses me off every time I'm reminded WWE once had a guy gently caress a corpse. How did I continue to watch wrestling?

It was a Kane feud. All Kane feuds are about that terrible. If you're anything like me, by now you just ignore every storyline Kane is involved in.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

I remember I was at my aunt's house in 2005, and I was watching Raw. She walked in during a part where they were doing a segment with the whole Kane-Lita debacle and boy was that fun trying to explain it to her.

I was still watching wrestling with my mom during the Katie Vick crap and the Kane/Lita rapebaby stories. Then we went to see Kane at a Barnes and Noble as part of his book tour for Journey Into Darkness and she chewed him out for like 5 minutes. He was pretty cool about the whole thing and still signed my Big Freaking Machine t-shirt that I used to think was the coolest shirt ever.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 27, 2011

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hahaha god drat this RVD/Sabu match is something to behold. RVD trying to just jump from the top rope and grab the title, missing by a mile, and then Taz trying to sell it like a GREAT IDEA is the best thing.

-edit-

Just before Sabu attempts to vault off of the ladder someone just yells "ARE YOU RETARDED?" The answer of course is yes.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 27, 2011

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I realize most of those stories are likely false, but I am willing to believe pretty much anything I hear about a Von Erich

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

quote:

218. Ricky Morton let Killer Kyle & Robbie Eagle (Maestro) watch him get it on with Andrea one night. After Ricky was done apparently Eagle sheepishly asked Ricky, "can I eat that?"

Zaqtaro needs to confirm this for us.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

So I just watched Heroes of Wrestling in its entirety for the first time.

Did anybody here actually catch the original broadcast of it, and at what point did you realize it was the most amazing/terrible thing you've ever seen?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Did Hogan have a match with Muhammed Ali?

No but he wrestled Rocky.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

I never understood the appeal of Lesnar. He's just a big mutant and completely boring.

Dude F-5'd a shark. How could anybody not love him?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Timby posted:

Where did the whole "SEND FOR THE MAN" thing with Randy Savage come from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-_a8HJYAgXk#t=546s

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

Your scale is flawed because Darren Young is at least 0.6 on the Cena scale.

Is this an intentional Three-Fifths Compromise joke or just a coincidence?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

This is more asking for peoples' opinions than a straight answer to something, but I can't really find anywhere else I'd post it without derailing any more topical conversation:

Is a PWInsider subscription worth it? It honestly seems really pricy for a newsletter and some podcasts.

PWInsider? No.

Wrestling Observer/F4D? Yes.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

What was the card for Awfulmania?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I will always have a soft spot for the first PPV I ever saved up my own money to order, No Mercy 2000. I remember a great Angle/Rock match, which I think was the first time Angle held the Heavyweight title, a great HHH/Benoit match, and William Regal defeating Naked Mideon.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I remembering loathing the RAW main event scene during the entire tenure of Evolution. Meanwhile, Smackdown had the vastly superior Team Angle :swoon:

and has Hogan done anything that hasn't eventually gotten crazy-stale?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Monkeycheese posted:

"current star" doesn't fit exactly but Undertaker was using that Johnny Cash song.

Speaking of Undertaker, "American Badass" and "Rollin'" spring to mind.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

As much as I hated "All the Things She Said" it wasn't anywhere near as bad as her next song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eKh8bFqWgI&feature=related

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Any band being commissioned to write a new song for Test is hilarious.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I actually wouldn't put it past them to give Test his own personal song by an actual band as he got a few inexplicable pushes during his time there.

But I mean... loving Test

Actually now that I think about it, didn't Slayer have a song called "Here Comes the Pain?"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The best part of the arm wrestling contest is Ric Flair over-selling the gently caress out of it like only Ric Flair can.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Has there ever been a more worthless mid-show interview segment than Abraham Washington's?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

How does a Uk person go about subscribing to the Meltzer dirtsheets?

Can you not just sign up using paypal or a credit card on the website?

https://www.f4wonline.com/member/member.php?tab=add_renew

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Cole & Tazz were remarkable for how boring they were together, and after his many years in the business I am not at all convinced that Cole actually cares about or likes wrestling. He is supremely phony.

It's not like his boss cares about it, why should he?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

Oh god I forgot about that. Someone find me a video of something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIn0GchsGo8

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

He is huge in India

He's a pretty big guy in every country :v:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm thinking in my head and I'm convinced he missed one on Nash once. Maybe he just went to the top rope and teased it and my brain is filling the blanks.

I think you may be referring to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hysqQkUink&feature=related

Also, Kane should do more Hurricanranas (even though it looks like he lands straight on his neck in the process) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yDmwIhUfls

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Nystral posted:

In the TEW thread the goons have made Kane rich and are dicussing having Kane wrestle in a tuxedo and possibly a :monocle:

Has Kane ever been a comedy character?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbhx3GNW6ew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK5uMfrBEX4&feature=related

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

There are no words to express how much I want to know what the gently caress this is.

I believe it was the crazy heel gimmick he had when he wrestled in Memphis.

edit: gently caress, beaten like an Atlanta security guard

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I thought they allowed him to go provided he stay under a mask. Then one week he just stopped wearing it and nobody cared.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Taking advantage of workers/organizations just because they can and there's nothing they can do about it goes beyond loltna and into lolthisearth territory, but yeah it's not exactly out of character for TNA

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Kane's in-kayfabe biography is the best book. Ever.

Everyone always forgets Big Apple Take Down. Truly it is the highlight of WWE books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Uh, its not that good dude, THERE ARE CONTINUITY ISSUES

Continuity can and should be ignored if you can tell a better story without it :colbert: