Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I honestly can't see Vince McMahon letting something as horrifying as Savage defiling his teen daughter go. I'm pretty drat sure that Vince & Linda would have insisted on having the cops involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Why is he forming a Hadouken?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've actually seen it stated/written a few times that nowadays the throwaway pushes being discussed are Vince's way of testing whether that wrestler can be "trusted" in a main event spot in case one of his current stars like Orton or Ccena goes down. Miz's whole program against John Cena was like the wrestling equivalent of releasing the Double Down in a test market before letting the rest of the nation try the thing. Same for Kofi vs Orton, and Punk's first kick at the can with the world title on Smackdown. They also seem to bury a guy soon after; whether that's to test their resolve and work ethic or to keep him from overshadowing the established stars is up for discussion.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
An explanation, re: Parkas

L.A. Park: The real motherfucking deal, the guy who worked WCW, and a hell of a worker. Also, a total nerd according to a guy who used to own a shop that sold horror memorabilia that posted on DVDVR. Was once propositioned by Madusa Micelli while reading the financial section of the paper in WCW according to Meltzer. Is not, as Vince Russo would have you believe, a "Skull Captain".

La Parka II: The guy AAA got to replace Parka whilst holding onto the copyright/gimmick after Park became an independent. Good showman, crap wrestler. Gets along fine with the real Parka as far as I know, but no relation.

Super Parka: The real deal's uncle. Kinda like the Rey Mysterio Sr. to Parka's Rey Jr., right down to the fact that Park is a MUCH bigger star and better worker. Although if I am not mistaken, Park gave his uncle permission to use the gimmick when it is usually the other way around in Mexico.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 17, 2010

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thankfully it appears MVP is now using the Paydirt, which while kinda dumb is still a better move.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The RegalPlex- The weird hybrid of bridged belly to back and a fisherman's suplex. Danielson does it sometimes and Regal used to do it regularly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Diesel vs Bret Hart, Survivor Series 95...Diesel's pity directly costs him the WWF title.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

Was it pity? I thought it was stupidity. Bret goes limp and instead of rolling him over for a pin, he just stares at him and then starts trying to pick him up again and gets small packaged.

I always kind of read it as him going to finish Bret off, thinking he may have gone too far (don't forget, Diesel was a full fledged face at the time)by knocking Bret through the announce table after Bret crumples, then when he realizes he has to be sure Bret's finished, he's already made the mistake of giving Bret enough time to make a last desperation move.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He wrestles In Japan a lot as Giant Bernard, the kayfabe son of George "Brute" Bernard. He's doing quite well for himself.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rock retaining the title was made more awesome by the fact that after they reversed the decision, the belt is returned to him while he's on the stretcher and he raises the belt in defiance like a dick. WM 14 is what sold me on the Rock, and then of course there was "The Rock thinks you should fire him, Vince".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If I recall, Dudley was a double major in college, and specializes in Shakespeare.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The sad part about Brock botching his SSP is the rotation was actually pretty good for a man his size, he just undershot. If Kurt had been closer, he'd have hit it dead on. There's video of him hitting it in OVW, and it looks great when he connects.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Hart Foundation destroyed the Boleshviks at WM4 I think in less than a minute. There's also Benoit's numerous squashes of Orlando Jordan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I seem to recall reading that creative feels it makes the audeience take the guy less seriously.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Well there was his decent run as a member of the Dangerous Alliance.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Trip to Nastyville is the Powerslam followed by Sags lovely Elbow Drop off the top, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've always thought 3-D was the best. Looks like death while being relatively safe, and the crowd loves it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
E & C ususally either cheated with a beltshot, a conchairto, or won with one of their indivudal finishers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TL posted:

Bubba was essentially trying to re-create Mick Foley's feud with Triple H from a few years before, but without the storied fifteen year run building up to their match. I think HHH beat Bubba in a table match on Raw and then they reformed the Dudleys not that long after.

I seriously can't believe they considered loving Bubba Ray Dudley as a main eventer.

I actually think they were going more for Bubba as Dusty, via the whole "Common man has had enough of the arrogant well-to-do world champ making everyone feel small with thug tactics". Especially consdering HHH was pretty much being booked like Flair at the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Cena also rhymed "Mideon" with "Branch Davidian", which I remember marking for. That whole run convinced me Cena was gonna be a star.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Vampiro is from Thunder Bay. He tends to badmouth the town from what I've seen (except when he's working there). I share a birthday with Kane, Ron Reis, Killer Karl Kox, and Tank Abbott. Unfortunately Johnny Devine (one of my favorite wrestlers, was born on the 27th.

Also for the record, I think Barry Windham was a bigger star than his dad. Former world champ, high visibility during two seperate boom periods, and main evented TV with Ric Flair on a regular basis (and was usually made to look like Flair's equal, wheras Sammartino usually got the best of Mulligan.)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So if there's a rash of ultra mega double homicides in your town, we know who to blame?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's shithouse crazy and speaks gibberish. That's basically it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Part of me hopes if he gets a long sentence, that Punk makes reference to it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My problem with Awesome isn't that he left. ECW was a tough place to work and the reward wasn't great enough. It's that he didn't tell Heyman he was done with the company. And I seem to recall he WAS getting paid (there's a list of people Heyman owes money to, and Awesome's name is absent, and it's a list that includes Corino, Storm and The Dudleys, who were man enough to lose on the way out, as was Storm), he just felt he deserved more because he was ECW champion.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Fair enough, but he still left ECW holding their dicks in a way that in m yopinion helped kill the company. He could have just vacated the belt and signed the contract. He doesn't have to do a job (which I think WCW requested), ECW gets to build some interest with a world title tourney, and Awesome gets the money he deserves.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He could have sued for breach of contract. Then again, Sabu sued Paul for the same thing and it didn't work, although that may have had something to do with Heyman having proof that Sabu was gonna be part of an invasion angle headed by Alfonzo. That said, the people who cheered or were happy when Awesome passed away can blow me. I was angry at Awesome for a while too, but at this point my feeling is more that he could have just handled things differently.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 8, 2010

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The champion leaving because he wasn't getting paid killed the company more than not being able to pay its champion?

Yes, because up until then, everyone KNEW that ECW had money problems, but it had never caused anybody to flat out walk. The coffin was already built, this was the nail.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Shoot To Thrill was what the WWE one ripped off, so it's probably that being TNA rips off a lot from the WWE (i.e. Christian's Jericho-esque entrance).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
From what I've been told by folks who follow lucha aggressively, he kinda sucked, but then again, he trained Psicosis, Juvi, and Rey Jr. So he at least had something to offer the business.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The greatest instance of "What" is when Austin cut a promo on RAW about how his strategy for the Royal Rumble was to get fat so he had a lower centre of gravity.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Actually, Jamie Noble is a terrific wrestler who is well known for bumping like a madman and making guys look good. Ask Rey Mysterio and Sheamus, as both guys had some of their earlier matches in the company with him and he made look spectacular. There was a item in the WON years ago where supposedly Vince said to him (the wrestler was unnamed but EVERYBODY, including Dave, assumed it was Noble) during his phase with Nidia that if he were 6'2 220, Vince could make him a huge star. Furthermore, he's currently a road agent and as a rule they do NOT hire crappy wrestlers for that role.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not only did he pick a fight with Jericho, from the account of that I saw he lost. So he can't back up his words, either.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
You know the powerbomb is nasty because all 3 announcers lose their poo poo over it. Sweet jesus.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sting was actually getting VERY good around the time the nWo debuted. It was a shame he was booked to be inactive so much, he was having really good matches.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

If they did an angle where someone like Danielson has to face Hunter, you could build a match around the fact a guy like Hunter might not be able to wrestle as well or match the younger guy's speed but he's willing to go the extra mile in brutality and experience, like catching Daniel's moves and punishing him or taking it out of the ring and using whatever he can get his hands on. The guys from the Attitude Era seem like they had more brutal matches that might give them an edge against the younger PG era guys.

On the other hand, as you mention, guys like the Rock thankfully weren't broken down so he looks like he's in capable condition to go a few rounds.

Danielson is the best wrestler in the company but I cannot envision Triple H allowing that story to be told. I'm not a "Triple H always buries everyone all the time" guy, but this is the same guy who used his "superior wrestling ability" to tell a story at Wrestlemania against John Cena. Cena went over, but Cena sells merch and tickets by the truckload, and Danielson, as world class as he is, does not.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Holy crap, I barely recgonized him. I rmember Orton being able to do a REALLY great High Cross Body back then.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Before he started getting booked more regularly, Samoa Joe was a CPA.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Back when the title was worth a drat there was a story circulating that Fritz paid off a board member to vote in favor of moving the title onto David Von Erich, but then David's health problems and subsequent death torpedoed that. There's also the Tommy Rich story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I am uneducated about most puro things. Out of curiousity, are there some people over in Japan that had a run like 2004 HHH or 2003 Jarrett where they would make everyone else look like chumps and devote large portions of a show to themselves due to creative control? Or does that not happen in GLORIOUS NIPPON?

Liger did something like this. He turned heel, booked himself to beat every single Jr. Heavyweight in the company, won the IWGP Jr. Title, and then challenged THEN-current IWGP champion Kensuke Sasaki. A lot of people thought he'd go over for that title, too, but Sasaki beat him in less than 10 minutes.