Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

frankenfreak posted:

So the phrase "are you trying to gently caress on me" randomly popped up in my head today and I need a refresher where it came from because I'm pretty sure it's a wrestling backstage story.

https://streamable.com/ka0bm

I actually just heard this story for the first time like a month and a half ago and it's seared into my memory because it was so funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

-I think Dave said they were originally going to fire Edge and HHH took Vince aside and said to fire Matt instead, since Edge didn't break any laws and Matt had, and Edge had bigger upside as a star.

I pretty much figured this was the reasoning but if it really was Haitch who prompted it then lmfao of loving course it was

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Sending two bombs to the same person is hardly proper decorum but sending one of them after the first already exploded is just uncouth.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I've only been watching New Japan since June and I legitimately cannot imagine Minoru Suzuki coming out to any other music.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

He was also in the 1992 Rumble, which Meltzer rated ***3/4

This made me curious what his highest rated Rumble match was but instead of asking here I just went and looked it up. Big Dave apparently pretty lukewarm on the Rumble most years because they almost never get more than a 3.5. 2008 was the highest at 4.25. The ones everyone points to as their favorites, 92, 02, and 04 he seemed to think were all fairly middling. Personally I think 08 is one of the most boring outside of the Cena return.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Jericho's first win over Triple H, even if they took it back the next commercial break

This is the one that always comes to mind for me, it's definitely an underrated one.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I've always been curious how the flippier guys develop their movesets that involve crazy poo poo like the Sunset Bomb, do they practice it a bunch before using it on a show and risk injury by doing it over and over to try and perfect it or do most of them just know they can pull something like that off and do a minor amount of practice to get a feel for the timing and spacing and everything? The idea of "practicing" some of those moves makes my neck ache just thinking about it, but I imagine the opposite, trying to do it for like your fourth time ever live in a match, is probably worse.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Qoey posted:

I can also say with a little bit of confidence that usually a person won't be learning high flying stuff unless they can already do flips and gymnastics beforehand.

Yeah I was more referring to guys who are already high-flyers workshopping new moves than trainees learning the basics. Good to know they're strict on stuff like that though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

What are the longest shows with the least amount of wrestling? WCW had some notorious Nitros, but I think WWE has outdone them on at least one occasion.

I remember one of the recaps I watched (because I can't imagine actually watching the show itself) saying a Raw from a couple months ago, maybe May/June-ish, had some absurdly low number like 20 minutes of wrestling over the course of all 3 hours.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

dromal phrenia posted:

This is the questions thread, so here's a related question: Did any wrestler ever say anything about taking the move Starship Pain? Obviously their role is pretty easy (lay still), but I used to have a theory that Morrison intentionally landed the move oddly because the alternative would really suck for his opponent. This was when people regularly complained that he always botched the move, and it seemed weird to me that Morrison would be so athletic otherwise and then just consistently gently caress up his finisher. Especially since he often dragged them into position.

I've always had conflicting feelings on that move, it looks so cool in motion but the impact itself seems really wimpy because so much of the movement and rotation is going into his legs, which just sort of clatter against the mat. I remember wishing he'd set guys further out and hit them with his legs so it would look more convincing but a couple years later when I actually thought about it I realized that it would look convincing because it would actually really loving hurt.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

shiksa posted:

quote:

japan has this already. some of the holds during the match are sexual in nature.

how'd this post about the HBO golden lovers doc get here already

I don't think Kota Ibushi or Kenny Omega have ever performed a wrestling hold in their lives.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember that match, just not that it was a squash. It's also been eighteen years.

WrestleMania XXX had that squash where the Shield just clowned on the New Age Outlaws and Kane for what seemed like forever. I honestly thought that was the end of all three of their respective careers before transitioning to road agents/writers/mayors, it was so embarrassing.

I think that match was like 3 minutes

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Regal was in the middle of a really interesting heel run as GM when he won KotR but was either part of the big steroid thing in 08 or just randomly got popped on his own and got the plug pulled on his run before it actually went very far. Iirc it was like what they're doing now with Corbin except way less terrible because Regal is good.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

VJeff posted:

Was Awesome Truth any good?

Not amazing but better than they had any right to be, at least.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I kinda liked Viscera as a lower-card big dude that guys on the way to IC/US level could beat and get some credibility but man that ill-advised repackage in 08 really sours my memory of him.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Men who have eliminated the Undertaker from the Royal Rumble:

Hawk & Animal
Hulk Hogan
Giant Gonzalez
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Rikishi
Maven
Brock Lesnar
Shawn Michaels
The Big Show
Roman Reigns

A few of these names stick out rather egregiously in hindsight.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Baron Corbin posted:

a mark is a guy that takes himself or his character too seriously like Goldberg or Bret Hart or Low Ki

To be fair to Goldberg he was pretty much in his rookie year when he got mega hot and had no real idea how loving awful and ruthless the business itself was, let alone what working in the same sphere as Hall, Nash, and Hogan of all people would be like. Everything I've heard about his time there made it sound like any weirdness he had/has about wrestling was because of them, so I absolutely don't blame him for it. Bret and Low Ki just seem like dudes who never learned what "fun" was.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Maybe I should just get World and watch every Nagata match they have and then jump to NOAH to fill in the gaps. I really miss Yuji Nagata, y'all.

Seems like they might be angling for a Nagata/Ishii singles match at New Beginning?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Since they introduced the Wrestle Kingdom title shot, has New Japan ever fully laid out what would happen if the champion won the G1? Like you assume they pick their opponent, but if someone beats him during the tournament does he defend the belt or the briefcase at the Fall shows? If he loses the belt does he then wrestle as challenger at WK?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

bessantj posted:

Speaking of Vince being a petty, petty man, what is the pettiest thing he has done?

It's probably far far from the actual answer but the first one I always think of is Zack Ryder. Every time some older wrestler or executive talks about young talent being "too afraid to take risks" or "not having ambition" which is why they never get over or are stuck in the midcard doing nothing for years, I just think did none of you dense fuckwits watch the show from mid-2011 to February 2012 because that's LITERAL HARD EVIDENCE that ambition gets you punished. Starts a youtube show, builds a following from basically nothing, sells a decent amount of merch despite having one of the worst t-shirt designs in history, fans are chanting pretty consistently for him every week, hey guess what Vince, you've somehow stumbled on a new midcard babyface people want to see! What do you want to do with him? Book him in a US Title feud with Ziggler where he wins it to cap off 2011? Awesome! That's a heartwarming conclusion to things. Wait why is he being beaten up by Kane to make John Cena angry, why is he in a body cast, why is he being squashed by Swagger for his title, why is he STILL being beaten up by Kane, why did Eve Torres start dating him and dump him for John Cena, WHY IS HE STILL BEING BEATEN UP BY KANE!?

I know most people don't think too highly of Ryder, he's a goof who's nothing special in terms of his actual wrestling, but they genuinely had something with him and because Vince didn't come up with it he loving killed the guy's career and eliminated a potential money-making midcard act for no real reason, which I think has scared off talent from putting themselves out there in that way ever since. It was motivated by nothing but pettiness.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Stipulations where one participant can fluke their way to a win like a cage or tables match seem like they could be used to get someone lower on the card a big signature win over someone higher up but it seems like nobody booking WWE remembers how to do that. Even Money in the Bank only really successfully elevated 4 people, Edge, Punk, Bryan, and Seth. Everyone else was either already a main eventer or fell back down the card and never recovered.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The only matches that make sense to happen at a set time of the year are Royal Rumble and MitB, though I also do really like when they put the Elimination Chamber on the show between Rumble and Mania as a #1 Contender's match for the other championship not chosen by the Rumble winner.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Are there any examples of someone trying to use another guy's finisher but not being able to figure out how to do it?

I like kayfabe explanations for the weird aspects of wrestling, like why no one else uses something like the Pedigree if it's so effective. The explanation being that no one CAN do it because it takes years to perfect.

It's not a finisher but watch practically any SANADA match. I will never get tired of everybody on the roster attempting to apply the Paradise Lock on him and failing.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I wasn't even watching at the time but every time I see reference to the HHH/Booker T feud for WMXIX I get upset all over again. Has whoever was responsible for writing Booker to lose that match (I assume Hunter, given the time period) expressed regret about it in interviews in the years since?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And what was with the WWF in the 80s bringing in these guys that got over in a specific way, and then completely changing it? Or did they keep doing it because it was successful with the Bushwhackers?

They literally never stopped doing that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Me when Jericho had to hand the title back to Triple H after his first title win :negative:

god, loving same

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

It's unfortunate that the Powerbomb has kind of gotten DDT-ified because it's such an amazing move even in its basic form. It's always been a personal favorite of mine.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

shiksa posted:

you should also know the red belt on raw is completely and eternally cursed and anything that happens with it is going to turn out to be a total mess.

aside from, somehow, goldberg's reign.

Festival of Friendship........ :smith:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gavok posted:

The story became that Roman Reigns would enter the Royal Rumble at #1 and the title would be on the line. From that moment, everything was obvious to every fan. Triple H would enter at #30, win and would hold onto the title until WrestleMania where Roman would win it back. That's exactly what happened and the crowd turned against it HARD. To make things worse, Triple H used this angle to get himself over some more despite being the heel. Fans rallied behind Triple H and he did nothing to correct them. This gave us arguably the worst WrestleMania main event in history.

That may be a bit of an overstatement. The match was flat and boring and nobody wanted to see it but it was hardly the worst in history, or are we forgetting such illustrious main events as Hogan vs Slaughter, 'Taker vs Sid, and Triple H two previous times main eventing in a title match to a completely dead crowd after the REAL main event had already happened.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gavok posted:

Charlotte kind of sucks as a face, so any attempts at her trying to get sympathy fell flat

I will never understand why Vince McMahon thinks people want to cheer people that are portrayed as better than them.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Are pro wrestlers in better shape now than they used to be? It just seems to me like in the Retro Raws and Nitro's that the crew mention how wrestlers get blown up or gassed in a couple minutes, especially in the Brawl For All.

A large chunk of the current generation are people who grew up with wrestling and actually care about putting in good performances and also not dying before they hit 40, so they tend to use less steroids and cocaine. Unless they've somehow gotten way better at hiding it since the 90s, anyway.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Truth is good until Vince notices that whatever he's doing is working and pushes it way harder and for far longer than anybody actually wanted and everyone's sick of it after a month. I think the only exception might be Little Jimmy, he managed to keep that funny for as long as I was paying attention to Raw during that period, which I think was until about halfway through Punk's title reign.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Other than Ronda, her last match's were against Brie Bella and Vickie Guerrero in 2014 and she won both. Nobody get's over on Steph unless they are a huge crossover star.

oh no poor brie, how did she manage to recover from that one

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

karmicknight posted:

I'm glad the WWE remembered who the real crown jewel was and decided to retcon the name of their war crimes and journalism crimes ppv in Saudi Arabia accordingly.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Has a crowd dumped on anybody for pointing at the Wrestlemania sign yet? As in someone they usually like eliciting boos specifically for the act of the point, not like Roman being Roman and getting booed for being Roman. It seems like the kind of thing that would've happened by now.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

No, it's a meme so people always cheer it now unless they actively hate the person doing it.

the w.w.e. universe is a hosed up place, i've decided

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Genericide posted:

one two three in the middle of the ring

distraction roll-up

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Bossman (in the attitude era) was the perfect midcard enforcer for a big heel faction like the Corporation and I hated him in the exact way you want a 9 year old to hate a wrestling bad guy

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Wrestlemania Main Events:

Bruno Sammartino: 0
Bob Backlund: 0
Ric Flair: 0
Ricky Steamboat: 0
Roddy Piper: 0
Booker T: 0
Kevin Nash: 0
Eddie Guerrero: 0
CM Punk: 0
AJ Styles: 0
Bam Bam Bigelow: 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

purkey posted:

Piper was in the main event of Mania 1

poo poo