Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Did he also get Shane high and that lead to when Raven returned to WWE Vince screaming Who the gently caress hired Raven?

Yep, but according to Raven in the various shoots he's done he was winning him over towards the end of his run and they considered hiring him for creative after he pitched them his Seven deadly sins storyline to which Stephanie responded "It's great, but I don't know what we'd do with you after it finished" ( Which probably translates to "We'd do it, just not with you")

After much debating and twisting of arms the WWE allowed Raven to do a neutered version of the story on heat. After a few weeks the ratings for Heat went up and when Raven excitedly asked if that meant he could move the plot onto RAW they said no and told Raven that the reason the ratings went up for Heat was because Lita started doing the announcing for the show.

Raven and the WWE split ways soon after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
My favourite HHH conspiracy theory is that the reason the wrestling slowed down in the WWE after 2001 is that Hunter couldn't keep up and he used his political powers to get everyone else to slow down.

:3:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Their career trajectories have absolutely nothing to do with their match history with Triple H. Win-loss records do not matter, but they matter even less when a guy is popular and is respected for his abilities.

Not to do with matches but rather HHH's opinion of you in creative meetings. He's famously been reported on saying that RVD couldn't connect with the fans and that Kurt Angle wasn't big enough to be a main eventer.

If HHH doesn't like you then it'll take a huge amount of skill and charisma to become a main eventer in spite of him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yes and neither of those two jabronies went anywhere

They were going to make Kurt Angle champion on his first day, but because Triple H cursed him, they waited until almost the end of his first year!

99% of Triple H hate is overblown nonsense based on nothing.

They gave him the title because Pat Patterson looked over at Hunter and said "If you two got into a fight, who'd win?" and that pretty much sealed it for Vince.

And both of them went on to become World champions in spite of what HHH thought so I wouldn't call them Jabronies, especially Angle.

But I think you're missing the point. If there's one thing about RVD that everyone can agree on is that the man has an incredibly strong connection with the crowd. And Kurt Angle is a credible champion no matter what because he's won Olympic loving gold. If Hunter doesn't like you he'll make up whatever bullshit reason he likes and no-one dare disagree lest they be shown the door.

Edit: Oh hi sarcasm, I didn't see you there.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 4, 2010

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The sources were Kurt Angle and RVD in various interviews each have done.

And there's plenty of sourced reasons to hate Hunter as well as live on screen stuff that we've all seen.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
When in WWE was the last time a mid carder came in and took on a main eventer for the top title and won without any shinanigans, MitB stips or it being regarded as a fluke?

I thought Jeff Hardy back in 2008 but then I found out that he won it after HHH hit the Pedigree on Edge and fell out the ring.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Endorph posted:

Hrm... Eddie?

Edit: I suppose Sheamus might count if Cena hadn't said that stupid "I FELL THROUGH THE TABLE" line when Sheamus clearly pushed him off the turnbuckle and through it.

I'd count that under fluke tbh. Also Eddie doesn't count because of Goldberg giving the assist.

I think it was Batista and John Cena back in 2005 at WrestleMania 21. Someone please correct me because I don't want to believe that the WWE could drop the ball for five straight years in a row.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DMPunk posted:

Gimmick PPV's are dumb, but having boring/meaningless PPV's like Unforgiven, No Mercy, Fully Loaded, etc is just as bad.

BTW, what was the concept for Over the Limit anyway?

Nah, having a PPV name built around a match type is worse. It degrades a match like Hell in a Cell from the climax of a blood feud to merely an annual event. It's no longer two guys who are going to kill each other in the most brutal way they can because they hate each other so much but rather two guys who are going to fight in the Hell in a Cell because it's Hell in a Cell time, who cares if the situation warrants it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ChampRamp posted:

SummerSlam 98 Shovel/Rock ladder match if I recall right.

Rock wasn't a great worker, but he was so drat entertaining.

Edit:fb

I think the fact that he could pull out entertaining matches with anyone made him a great worker.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

I think Mick Foley holds the distinction of being the only guy to hold gold in WWE (tag, hardcore, world), WCW (tag), ECW (tag), and TNA (world).

Raven got there first and has the action figures to prove it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Matlock posted:

Because they can't keep up with him, or because his expectations are insanely high?

Because he likes to torture them.

Creative meetings can last from the start of the day till the end of the night, during which time the creative staff will receive no food or water. Hunter, Vince and Stephanie will send out their personal assistants out for food and drink while everyone else starves and writes the show.

It's also said that the McMahons will invite new members of creative in to their limo for a ride. Once inside Steph and Vince will immediately get on their phones and start shouting at whoever else is on the line. Hunter spends the time looking out the window and cracking crap jokes to himself.

That's another thing, if Hunter tells a joke and you do not laugh then you are immediately labelled as not having a sense of humour and are the new target for Hunter’s hilarious gags.

In short the McMahons are children.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MrMondayNight posted:

Cant remember the details of the story but the match was Cactus and Luna vs Eddie Gilbert and Medusa in the Tri-State Wrestling fed that later became ECW. And aparently The Sandman won the battle royal.

How? He busts himself open on the way to the ring.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Stanfield posted:

What are some DVDs with good alternate commentary(s) for matches?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7OmP1FIHZM

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Anyone got that link to the Danielson vs Morishima music video set to a rage against the machine song?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CVagts posted:

This is probably an older-school question since I can only think of "modern-day" wrestlers who fit the bill and I'm sure there were more back in the day, but who would you guys classify as being in "could get at least a decent/passable/good match with literally any pro wrestler on Earth" territory? The only names I could come up with are Flair, HBK, and Angle, and possibly Funk, but I haven't seen any Funk matches where he was facing a complete stiff.

Funk was awful against Harley Race and both men say so because both men tried to lead the matches. If they simply rotated who controlled the match they'd have had great ones though.

I'd add the Rock to that list because after he became the People's Champ I can't think of a single match that wasn't exciting.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

That's what makes Bret's book feel more honest to me. I always suspected something was toned down about Foley. I was wrong, he is a nice guy, just a complete whore for money and celebrity.

Name me a wrestler who isn't.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Jean Genie posted:

What's the alternative when nobody draws the winning number?

You're going to want to think about that...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

I'd imagine Goldburg having no idea how to put together and sell a competitive match probably had something to do with this, I'm not taking a shot at him (I am, shhhh!) but from memory, when Goldburg was supposed to have a match that looked competitive in some way it was normally with someone like Hogan or Nash who spent the majority of the match trading blows and brawling into their signature spots, so WWE probably expected something from him that was completely foreign to him as a worker.

Nah, Goldberg had a terrific match against Scott Steiner that was pretty much just power move after power move. It was awesome and his match with Lesner could have easily topped that if they had just went for sheer balls out rip and tear action. Instead they played the stereotypical WWE big man match where they are slow and plodding and stalemated in power and terrible from an objective point of view.

Could have been apathy, could have been WWE telling them to go slow and it could have been a mixture of the two.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep its called TNA also Vince would never do anything as stupid as the NWO takeover of Nitro on a go home show.

To be fair Vince was already in control, the nWo was a rebel faction much like Nexus today. If the nWo took over it would make the WCW babyfaces the underdogs and thus make their fight more noble.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Benign posted:

Has there ever been a beat the clock series where one of the "non qualifiers" (the people who are just there to lose) won WITH the fastest time?

I think that could play out into a decent story for a snubbed wrestler who thinks he should be in the match since he, in fact, had the best time.

That happened to Super Crazy. Beat Mr Kennedy extremely fast and they still went with John Cena or Batista as the winner.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

El Axo Grande posted:

I always thought the rules were that if someone eliminated you, they took your place

Not if you're a comedy jobber. In which case you're not getting a shot at the championship even if you do the supprise roll up of doom on Batista within the first three seconds.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Burrito posted:

For me it was basically that he gave no gently caress about the other person in the ring. He turned into Stone Cold 2.0 in that, you knew he was going to RKO the person talking to him, you knew he was going to do it but when he did it you were still giddy about it. That and they built him up to be a pretty big badass, where even Nexus didn't want to get on his bad side. Unfortunately, that passed pretty quick, and then he was hugging Cena.

That and him being a face means he doesn't put on as many five minute chin locks.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ColeM posted:

Word was back in the day, that DDP wanted to work for the WWE and be a part of the invasion so bad, that he opted to take a contract buyout for 50 cents on the dollar. I'm sure he has regretted it ever since.

Word is that a lot of the wrestlers and agents backstage didn't think much of DDP because he couldn't call matches on the fly and thus he was mocked and buried by the locker room leaders I.E. Taker, JBL etc

Same thing happened to Mike Awesome.

Irony is that wrestling has moved more and more towards the DDP way of wrestling that the old call it in the ring style.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Sid accusing someone else of not having good psychology in their matches?

Ether he was truly the worst in the world or Sid is one delusional gently caress.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Shiki Dan posted:

Here's a question inspired by reading the last few posts in the Rumble topic:

Why in the gently caress does so much of IWC seem to think Muhammad Hassan was so good?
It seems like nobody but me was actually WATCHING the dude's matches, or everyone else for some inexplicable reason has rose-colored glasses for the entire 2004-2005 WWE period.

It was a disgusting angle where we were meant to hate the wrestlers who wanted to be accepted where they went and that were tired of redneck idiots calling them towel heads. This wouldn't be so bad but they had a Italian pretending to be Muslim. It was simply blatant race baiting at it's worst but some people will still argue blue in the face that it wasn't race baiting even thought the last thing he did was mock execute The Undertaker surrounded by terrorists.

"But listen to the heat!" gently caress off. There's two reasons I can think of for someone to boo them. Ether they were as disgusted by the angle as I was or they were booing him because they were responding positively to the race baiting. Ether way I was embarrassed to call myself a wrestling fan when they were on the screen, even more than Katie Vick or Hornswoggle. At least those were just misguided attempts at humour.

The fact that he was a crappy wrestler meant nothing to me.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Perry Normal posted:

The problem with this argument is that is assumes consistent planning by the WWE writers. Early Hassan and terrorist-emulating Hassan are pretty frigging different, and I don't think that having him mock-executing people was the plan from the get-go. Somewhere along the way, Vince changed his mind or some shittier writer got his hands on it or something (which would make sense, since the execution thing happened not too long after he moved to Smackdown, wasn't it?).

I really liked the earliest incarnation of the character. When he first appeared, aside from the Italian pretending to be Muslim thing, he was that classic heel who's right, but is a complete rear end in a top hat about it (see "better than you" Punk). I thought it was fairly edgy, sure, but not really offensive.

But, no argument, by the time he started feuding with Undertaker all the subtlety of the early stuff was gone and it was just in poor taste. I never got the sense that they intended to take it in that direction when Hassan debuted, though.

Trust me, it was always the intent to have him go full terrorist.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Plastic chairs hurt a hell of a lot more according to Taz.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

I like how Terry Funk quit WWF once. He had an issue at his ranch and hated WWF so he told agents he was leaving to go home. They told him he needed to talk to Vince and couldn't just quit so Terry leaves a note for Vince: "My horse is sick. I think she's going to die. I think I better go."

Vince never forgot this and the next time he hired Terry Funk on Mick Foley's request a few years later the first thing he said to him was "How's your horse?".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Terry Funk: Greatest man ever to gently caress a cow.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Burrito posted:

Sometimes a guy gets lonely.

Yip Yip Yip, make em moo.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The cage gave way because 300 pounds of man fell onto it when the people who designed it built it without that possibility in mind, not because it was gimmicked. The chokeslam was pitiful because if you hadn't been paying attention the man on the receiving end of it was in no state to jump, having been flung 15 feet down the side of a cage.

And the one occasion where they did once gimmick the cage they also had to sense to gimmick the ring as well to both cushion the impact and create a more impressive image.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Vince did HiaC.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Dusty may have been an rear end in a top hat behind the scenes as a booker and whatnot but I'll always love his on screen character and commentary. He truly was the portrait of an 'everyman' character that even the fattest most out of shape armchair quarterback (dunno what the wrestling term for that would be) could relate to. Vince gave him a portly sidekick in an era where female managers included women like Miss Elizabeth and dressed him in polkadots and he still got over regardless.

That and terms like 'clubberin', 'pay windah', 'Bubber' and "HE GOT A BICYCLE" on commentary will never fail to make me laugh.

Armbar Quarterback?

I don't like Dusty because he's a racist who hates the Jews.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Arn ruins every DVD he's been in by talking in kayfabe, gently caress Arn Anderson.

And it was funny. Although the funniest part was hearing about Arn act like a baby about it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

Who the gently caress cares? When you buy a WWE DVD you are pretty much getting kayfabe. You are getting their version of the history of a company, person or feud that doesn't match history. So who cares if Arn Anderson is keeping kayfabe? In a way that is more real. You are at least getting the character's thoughts on the real fake world on screen rather than fake words on the real world.

It's irritating as gently caress. Hearing Ric Flairs dogsbody talk like wrestling is real is just awful. He's also a petty mother fucker if you believe dirtsheets.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

Smackdown was TREATED as the B Show as early as 2002, but thanks to Heyman's booking and use of the best wrestlers in the company, it didn't become an actual B Show until 2004, when they kicked him off the writing team and made JBL champion.

That was the exact period I came back to watching wrestling. If I hadn't found ROH I probably would have quit right then and there.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
All I know is that everyone I hang out with knows the Rock is back and it's been seen as a big deal by people who don't even watch Pro Wrestling anymore.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

It's fun watching late 2000/early 2001 and watching the product and trying to pinpoint the exact moment where they ran out of Chris Kreski's storyboards and had to start booking from scratch. Apart from the resolution of the HHH/Steph/Angle storyline, Steph's early run was alright. It was coherant and there was a lot of continuity. Still had some storyboards left over. But around the Two Man Power Trip vs. Hardyz feud, it all started getting really sloppy and slapdash.

It always amazes me that when WWE decided that it wanted to be more like other TV shows and have Hollywood script writers they got a decent writer and he used the tools of the screenwriter including a show bible for continuity, storyboards and building to a peak to cap off a feud etc so they demote him, get in the bosses daughter, throw out all that stuff that the guy had introduced and decided that hiring people who don't give a poo poo about wrestling and taking away everything familiar to the writers about how to write in a group setting was the way to go since seriously, writing things down? gently caress that noise. Ether you adapt to the group writing process and use the methods developed for that environment or you stick to the booker method developed in Pro Wrestling. Can't have it both ways.

Seriously, is it any wonder the writers don't do anything big outside of the main event? They're having enough trouble remembering the continuity for the main eventers alone, you give the mid card characters personality and stories and you've already got triple the history to remember in your head. If the mid card titles and the tag team titles were made to mean something then something like Wade Barrett and CM Punk standing next to each other in a tag match would look like nothing compared to the poo poo that they would forget.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 28, 2011

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

"You don't make a main-eventer by having him beat established stars" ~ Triple H

Every time that's quoted Foley sheds a tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
You've probably picked the worst day to defend HHH from people saying he fucks people over for his own ego.