Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Aurain posted:

There was an article in maybe the main WWE thread a couple of days ago where Edge was talking about his musical tastes and he said something about Striker dropping in album names and things from certain bands as a sort of injoke/competition. This is probably another case of that.

Striker and Regal used to try and sneak in The Smiths' references in their commentary as a little in-joke competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
After reading that, I'm picturing Louie with pro-wrestlers now and I really want that show to exist somehow.

I'd name it Ryder.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
A Sin Cara/ADR match ended in a suicide dive, does that count?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm reminded of Sami Zayn, a dude that has three finishers that are not finishers it all depends really (big boot in the corner, tornado DDT - which is his "true" finisher and a Koji Clutch). Koji might be stretching it, but the boot and the tornado DDT got a number of pins in NXT. Rollins was a bit like that for a while, although I suppose the Blackout is now his defacto finisher.

Also on the list of NXT performers with multiple finishers, Paige just got the Scorpion Crosslock in addition to her Paige Turner. I guess rule of thumb is, if you're getting a push and your finisher has some weird setup/you're too small to hit it on the huge guys, you get a second one. Pretty much what Halloween Jack said.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I didn't catch Striker on commentary, but that series of nicknames for Yoshi Tatsu are probably a bad way to demonstrate he's bad at commentary because I'm all up for stupid references during my wrestling.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Cole is good when he gets to play "real journalist", like with the HHH interviews that culminated in the in-ring segment this Raw. He's maybe not the best dude to be doing play-by-play (and definitely never let him be heel ever again for gently caress's sake), but he's competent if very bland. The one dude in the three-man team that REALLY pisses me off is JBL. Maybe it's the Vince effect, but his constant interruptions and nonsensical arguments hurt my head and ears, and distract me from the match that's happening.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

oatgan posted:

Both. He's gotten a lot better in the ring by virtue of working long matches against good opponents for over a year, but right out of the gate he oozed charisma in a way he hadn't as Generic Babyface Guy in FCW. Spearing dudes through barriers and powerbombing jabronis every week helped, but it was strong booking like at Survivor Series that really got people hyped.

He was booked to his strengths and very well-protected in a three-man team that had two great workers from the get-go. For the longest time, Reigns was the big, quiet dude that would tag for a bit, do some damage, tag out and show up again to hit one devastating move and look handsome and cool and :allears: So he didn't do much, but he always looked awesome doing it. And since his teammates were indie darlings and he showed signs of improvement quite fast, Roman got both the good will and the time to develop into a solid wrestler in most people's minds.

But that's all bullshit, the true defining factor was that he changed his name from fuckin' LEAKEE.

EDIT: you know what's a really really annoying word to spell right if you're not a native English speaker? Strength. The more you know.

Dias fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 31, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Justin Godscock posted:

It was during the Tribute to the Troops tour in 2008, I believe, JBL was essentially loving with Styles like he usually did to talent back when he was the locker room bully. Styles had enough of JBL's poo poo that whole tour and flat-out punched JBL in the face and JBL retreated and didn't fight back.

Did he realize what happened afterwards and shouted OH MY GOD in a high-pitched voice?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

oatgan posted:

"Say what if you sleep with your sister" is actually an incredibly lame comeback

And so is your face.

(I like that the crowd actually fell for it somehow)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

sticklefifer posted:

And it's not pronounced Triple A, it's pronounced :aaa:

Pretty sure it's Triple A, mirroring how American wrestling is synonymous with Triple H. :downsrim:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Monkey Man posted:

Other than Mexico and Puerto Rico, how much wrestling is there in Latin America?

I can't speak for all countries in South America, but Brazil has basically no wrestling. It used to be bigger around these parts during the 70s, I'm told, but right now there's some backyard-wrestling level federations and nothing else. A cursory research tells me KENTA was here for a Latin American tournament, so that's something I suppose?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shima Honnou posted:

So even in the jungle you can't find a fan of John Cena.

Ironically, the only person I ever saw wearing a WWE/wrestling-related shirt here was wearing that garish purple Cena shirt.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Adrian Neville is another dude that for sure isn't as tall as he's billed. He isn't much taller, if taller at all, than Renee - and his Wikipedia says 5'10" (although I remember him being billed at less than that on NXT).

The add four inches rule basically strikes true unless you're really tall but not a giant, or really short and need that for your character.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hulk Hogan :supaburn:

except in Japan

If we're going that way, wouldn't Warrior be a better answer?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My joshi knowledge is not that good, how protected was Aja Kong's backfist?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Memento posted:

How long does he have left? You could be talking about 2-3 years here.

Well, JTG lasted a while, so who knows.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The amazing tag team of de_dust and de_dust2.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Smoking Crow posted:

What has the Rock been cooking all these years?

Can't you smell it?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

WadeBartender posted:

Gringo Killer was the vertabreaker, the cutter was the Gringo Cutter/Stunner

Also known as the Cop Killa.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Red posted:

Or maybe a girl mortician. Paula Bearer? Morticia?

Paige ain't doing much, is she?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Daniel Bryan posted:

Is there a bigger waste of theme music than Curtis Axel?

Eva Marie.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blasmeister posted:

The rest of his entrance is good too but come on now

Also CJ Parker

CJ Parker can be an okay arrogant/chickenshit heel. Gangrel could do basic wrestling manuevers. Eva Marie is literally good for nothing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I Before E posted:

1. lovely booking.
2. Cameron. Just incompetent.

2. Three-way tie between Cameron, Eva Marie and Rosa Mendez.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Smoking Crow posted:

Piggybacking off that question, is Paige really that pale?

She's British, so yeah.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I wanted to just post rapadoo but Cena doesn't work for that question, amazingly enough - at least he had his rapper gimmick.

Rey Mysterio might be the best answer. If we're counting HHH I'd put Ric Flair in the mix.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

sticklefifer posted:

Depends what you mean by change. Big Show is still "I'm a 7 foot, 500/450 lb monster!"

Big Show changes his alignment so much it's already part of his character too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

magnum_valentino posted:

I get that it's a torture rack, but did they call it that before Nikki bought her boom boom tittayz?

Nah, she recently picked up that move as a finisher (so after the implants) and the name is about her boobs, no doubt about it. The "technical" term for it is an Argentine backbreaker, IIRC (probably not).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Thauros posted:

Is managment really this clueless? Vince made Ryder stop using his "Take care spike your hair" catchphrase because Spike showed Impact at that time, I find it hard to believe they'd look kindly at guys wearing shirts basically saying "NJPW's cool and maybe we'd be better off there".

Eh, it's pandering to the IWC in his eyes. Really, whoever gets the reference already watches NJPW, and NJPW isn't really a programming threat.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Thauros posted:

Or watches ROH. Or engages in online wrestling discussion. Lot of people in PSP still don't watch NJPW but if nothing else they know that the Bullet Club is a a big NJPW heel stable that western smarks love.

All I'm saying is that WWE management have been a hell of a lot pettier about things that they perceive as devaluing the product or referencing the competition that I see as a hell of a lot more irrelevant. Hell while as a NJPW fan I'm all in favor of WWE guys basically stating that NJPW's cooler I wouldn't be condoning it if I were HHH or Vince.

Exactly. They are already aware of NJPW as an option, even if they choose to not watch it - and they're probably not gonna tune out of RAW to watch an old PPV. Thing is, you could literally switch the channel to TNA, so it was a programming threat - yeah, I know, lol tna, but in TV terms it was.

Them getting to wear that shirt a couple of times doesn't mean Vince/HHH will keep letting them use it, anyway. Maybe there wasn't any rationalization about NJPW not being competition and it just eluded Vince's whims for now. Cesaro's been going hard on the "brass ring"/"too swiss" thing tho...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Germansimp posted:

Maybe they should try DDPYoga. And once they get hooked on it, start their own yoga programs. YeaohYoga!

Totally would follow King of Yoga Style, the swaggest downward dogs around.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gaz-L posted:

Entirely because it's been so protected. Imagine Heath Slater doing it on Main Event, would it get the same response?

If Heath Slater pulled out a Rainmaker on Main Event with theatrics included I'd mark out even harder, bro.

(I know)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
With the benefit of historical hindsight, I wanna say Moolah smothered women's wrestling in the West, then it started coming back to life in the 90's thanks to Japan but the Attitude Era headshotted that zombie real fast. People watch this poo poo for the attitude and attitude means boobs. It might be getting better tho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DeathChicken posted:

I think you'll find if you built a WWE Superstar from the ground up he wouldn't look like Kevin Steen, Maggle.

From the ground up, more like from the ground beef up, Maggle. :smug:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
When in doubt, channel the best:

"My client <name of the groom> will DESTROY <name of the bride> tonight!"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MotU posted:

You're WWE

"I can see how that would be fun, but I don't see why people care about having fun" - WWE Creative, 2015.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Smoking Crow posted:

Irish whips, quick action, lots of safe moves because you're wrestling so much

Also, a very specific set of moves that you WILL hit or at least tease during a match and "finisher (and only finisher) means death" unless it's title.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

John Cena (John Dinner).

Los Matadores are actually famous indie-rock band The Killers.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

He called it Damien.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Darnielle was a big wrestling/Chavo Sr. mark, wrote a song about the guy, threw an invite out and got him in his music video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I dunno, I never found him to be terrible in NXT. Sometimes I even like his calls, whenever Saxton/Graves aren't emulating JBL and diverting him from the wrestling because apparently that's how you commentate in WWE.