Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I haven't really been following the GWF thread but after looking up a little bit about it, it seems like it's more like just a bunch of affiliates kind of like NWA, only worldwide territories instead of US. Is that relatively accurate?

GFW isn't even really that, it's more Jeff Jarrett's plan to make money promoting other people's (NJPW) shows in the United States. Which is why Jeff Jarrett is promoter of the year and GFW is the number two promotion in the world. Hashtag Join the Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

What goes through Scott Steiner's mind when he's making a promo?

"How can I ruin the life of the white trash and rednecks for what they did to my brother?"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

oatgan posted:

Dawg its 2014 and they're still going strong

http://youtu.be/riHEocUuAdU

Mark Briscoe is a gift to the spoken word. A poet of the highest caliber.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

This is going to be an unbroken line of unsafe workers going back to Plato right

Plato, he broke Xenophon's nose with a heel kick.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's the most consistently bad PPV? By that I mean a PPV that has been going on for 4 years or more.

TNA Victory Road?

It had the Sting/Hardy 1:30 Drug Addict match.
Jenna Morasca vs. Sharmell
Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle winning the match before they had the match for all the titles (a tag team title match with the Dudleys).

Pretty historically poo poo event.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

Victory Road 2011 was pretty drat bad as well with a drugged-up Jeff Hardy in the called-off main event and the undercard was dumb as well.

My favorite part of Victory Road 2011 was that they had a gently caress finish draw in the Number One Contender's match immediately before the Main Event, which made it impossible for them to find a way to put together a main event while Jeff Hardy was drugged up and useless. High comedy.

Basically, TNA Victory Road is the worst series of PPVs.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

LvK posted:

False alarm I'm just gonna watch Lucha Underground

That or ROH TV are better ways to restore your faith in prograpples.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Howling Man posted:

This Sid fellow sounds like a real Sycho.

Nah, it sounds to me like he was just after Justice for himself.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

TL posted:

Draven Doomcloud is the finest yardtard name I've ever heard.

Draven Doomcloud is a tabletop RPG villain.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So all Roman Reigns needs to do is become a smug, smarmy, self-aware heel and you'll love him?

That does sound great actually, I hope it happens.

Yes and Yes.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Early Randy Orton got over with his dad's inherited injured arm.

RNN was a really good gimmick for Orton.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Question: What is the best thing to do with my money if I just want to watch a bunch of Chuck Taylor promos/matches?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

3. Impact: TNA stopped being called TNA, which is good, but they stream on twitch to 8,000 people and also their champion has the same name as the company which is bizarre. There's never been a WWE champion named "Teddy RAW" or something similarly dumb.

Is this a fair lay of the land? What am I missing? What should I be watching?

No, he was Johnny Nitro, not Raw.

Also, continuing the people coming out of the woodwork shaking New Japan at you, it is a fantastic promotion.

Hellblazer187 posted:

OK, yes, oversight on my part. Lots of those guys going to AEW too it seems like.

Any (legal) way to watch the English language NJPW content for free?

They have a weekly free match on their English YouTube every Monday. As well as subtitled post-match promos from the shows. That plus any other random free shows on new japan world should be (and was for me) enough too tell you if you'll find New Japan world worth your while.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

At Crown JewelWorld Cup in Saudi Arabia.

I'm glad the WWE remembered who the real crown jewel was and decided to retcon the name of their war crimes and journalism crimes ppv in Saudi Arabia accordingly.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Prince Iaukea's dad?

And I love that, by Uncensored '96, the Dungeon of Doom and the Horsemen had to team up as the Alliance to End Hulkamania and still couldn't defeat him.

They also teamed with Batman film actors, Zeus and The Final Ultimate Solution.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Abyss/Sting Last RightsCasket Death Basket match? Where Abyss does a legendary job of selling the gimmick tombstones as heavy, only for Sting to be very casual when moving them?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

VJeff posted:

What're some examples of great babyface roll-up wins?

Colt Cabana vs. Togi Makabe from this years New Japan Cup.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Nexus Riot was one of the most dynamic and cool debuts that the WWE could ever do, I mean they proceeded to monumentally gently caress it up, but the Nexus Riot itself was really really cool and well done.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Jeff Jarrett has his merits and talents, however he has the same problem Triple H has which is that he has a distinct idea in his head of what he is capable of and what he is best at, and this imagine differs greatly from what he is actually best at and where he should be used. So he ends up being real bad.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I would say Tomoaki Honma, only because his voice is so shot that, like watching him wrestling, I have a visceral reaction and have to look away.

Otherwise, when DBS Jr. cuts promos with Killer Elite Squad, he does the same shtick as Archer, but with way worse delivery, which is a sign he is a bad promo.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It also depends on what you mean by "is better to workers," a lot of the egregious stuff the Fed does is because it is run by an insane megalomaniac and his cabal of equally horrific henchmen, but a lot of the bog standard lovely business practices are the result of normal ant-labor practices, and it is a matter of scale as to whether ROH or Impact does better.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
If you have New Japan world, just searching his name and watching the singles matches should expose you to Nakamura at his best. I’d personally recommend his match with Kota Ibushi at whichever WrestleKingdom it was at. As for his peak period, people with better information will have better explanations. I understand that he had a run from the mid 00s onward and was tapped as a top guy by Inoki initially due to an MMA victory or victories. I’m not sure when he went from that to the world destroying King of Strong Style, leader of Chaos, namer of Tacos, Nakamura, but I would assume that is a beginning point for a peak.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

The RDV Four-Way is still my go-to for introducing new or lapsed fans back to wrestling, just about everything is perfect except Jigsaw

Thereby allowing them to have a floor rather than all ceiling, even Jigsaw has a purpose.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The only live wrestling I know I have been to was an AIW show two months ago. I feel like I have missed a deep and rich world.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

How is he still alive?

His horse was sick.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cavauro posted:

he is a weird gremlin who is proud of ohio. And he stupidly hurt someone very dangerously and sloppily and then used his massive fuckup to "get heat" on twitter and elsewhere and people don't like to be insulted in real life by some dickwad who thinks he is his wrestling character. there might be more stuff. i do not know

truly his biggest crime.

shiksa posted:

the baseball bat incident and the proceeding fallout really made me go from "eh sami's just one of a million guys with a dumb edgelord gimmick" to "gently caress that guy"

but yeah, hitting a dude in the head with a bat and then double down makes him a shithead.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
By ending up with a lot more potential energy from being ~6 and half to 7 feet up in the air at your highest point and taking that a bunch because it is just repeated stressed of a moderate amount.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
WWE rephrased the psychology of the cagematch from being "it is too difficult to escape the wrath of the face, they will catch you" to "it is a foot race to see who can get out" which hosed the match because then doing cool moves and killing people makes no sense if the goal is to win a race, rendering the stip entirely pointless, like most things in the fed.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

big black turnout posted:

I have a really dumb question: what's the technical name for the videos that play when a wrestler is entering

Depends on who you are and what your looking to define it as. I think, the technical television term would be background or monitor VTR, but AEW's twitter called it an entrance video wall, which also composes all of the pieces of it into one phrase.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Man, for such a long time for me wrestling was just "one of the shows I watched that I don't think about" that I honestly think the first real cheering for the heel I would have done, based on merch I owned, was for Legend Killer Randy Orton. Since I had the nWo parody shirt, which might have been my first piece of merch.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I don't think I've ever watched any wrestling bit more than John Zandig being interviewed by Robbie Mireno outside of a CZW show about an attack by The H8 Club. Most famous for Zandig going "JEEZUS" but him just screaming "YOU'RE GOING TO DIE, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE, I GUARANTEE I WILL KILL YOU. AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH"

“H8 CLUB? H8 CLUB’S DEAD!”

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

The Kings of Wrestling but with Cats and shouting Fact was such an entertaining combination of talents.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The process is called "WWE wants to copyright your character so pick a name off a list we give you"

If you use your real name then they can't copyright that.

:eng101: Well, technically it's "you give us a list to pick names from that we can copyright"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

His real name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt.

Which weirdly enough is also the real name of AEW EVP Kenny Omega

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Joe has a regular spot where someone goes for a springboard and he walks away from it:

Rob Van Dam
https://gfycat.com/quarrelsomenexteyelashpitviper

Christohper Daniels

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Did I hallucinate it or did Stokely Hathaway have a gimmick in Ring of Honor managing Moose and no one knowing his name? It might have been someone else but I feel like I didn’t invent this whole cloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, Kaze Ni Nare is the best professional wrestling theme of all time.

I'd put Final Countdown as having similar entrance energy but being a worse theme.