Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is that when Hogan gave Abyss his WWE Hall of Fame ring and the storyline was that it imbued special powers?

suddenly this entire video makes perfect sense (in spite of it being stupid as hell)

e: I mean I've still no idea why they have Ric Flair in a fuckin wheelchair but at least part of it makes sense

Venomous fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jenny Angel posted:

Earthquake, Bam Bam, Vader... who else would be on the list of "fastest / most agile superheavyweights of all time"?

Brock Lesnar.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Someone post that gif of Brock teleporting to clothesline Heath Slater outside the ring.

https://streamable.com/3jnf

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 29, 2016

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

What would create the biggest pop possible currently in the WWE? Within reason I mean.

I'm gonna say a surprise CM Punk return in Chicago would have possibly the biggest pop of all time.

Stone Cold returning at the Rumble, even if it's just for a short while where he just Stunners everyone and gets speared out of the ring.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Are there any books on joshi or women's wrestling in general? I know there's probably a ton of Observer articles on the subject, but if there's any good books I'd appreciate it.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Shaq is gonna kill Big Show in the ring

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Let's go Okada

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

2016 (so far): Battleground

That or Backlash.

e: also, if Takeovers count, Brooklyn II was great.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

As was Benoit/Triple H and Orton/Cena.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Wild Pegasus and The Great Sasuke wrestled four separate matches in the 1994 Super J Cup, and the fourth was the best of the lot.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

hates him so much he hired him for lots of money and made him the star of The Good Show

tbf if it weren't for Jericho he probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to become that star, seeing as Ryback was originally going to squash him at Wrestlemania

...that and the fact he had two incredibly good matches with Roman Reigns, especially at Extreme Rules, and Vince was VERY impressed with AJ.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

RVD-Cena at One Night Stand was pretty cool tbh, though a huge part of that was the crowd

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking back at the history of professional wrestling, are there many pro wrestlers who you could put in a ring with, for example, a judo guy and they'd be able to go all Ad Santel on them and win legitimately? I guess what I'm curious about is which pro wrestlers are historically (and currently) considered to be the best legitimate fighters; I've been reading a bit about the early days of pro wrestling recently and was struck by how a big reason why the Gold Dust Trio were able to establish their stranglehold on the business in its early days was because Ed Lewis was legitimately skilled enough that he could beat anyone who wouldn't follow the script.

The folks that immediately come to mind are Shibata and Lesnar, seeing as they've both had great MMA careers and they could both legitimately kill someone. Other than that, afaik the New Japan dojo generally trains folks to be able to withstand shoot fighters and all that. Think there was a story about these MMA folks coming to the dojo to prove that they weren't proper fighters or whatever, only to find that the NJ dojo folks were actually really loving tough and fought them off surprisingly well. Not sure if that's just bullshit, but that's what I heard.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh I'm glad Cena's character is slowly shifting towards 'Hollywood bigshot who openly admits he's pretending to play a marine'

I expect him to win the Tag Team titles with The Miz in short order

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Okada brought out the table, the Bucks set it up.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

idk how long ago 'a while' is but don't forget Bray eliminating Bryan in 2015 and the entirety of the 2014 Royal Rumble

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

How much more autonomy do folks in New Japan have with their characters and the direction of storylines and what have you? I mean, I know they don't have a creative team like the WWE and their style of show is different and all that, but do they have much input into what happens in a feud or is it mainly directed by Gedo and the other top brass in NJPW?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Roman would be good in New Japan

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Both of the Tanahashi/Shibata matches from 2014 definitely fit the bill. Shibata walked out of NJPW to do MMA when the company was at its nadir, and after Tanahashi spearheaded NJPW's revival, Shibata walked back into the company and regained his place on the card as though he'd never left. That really pissed off Tanahashi, and it especially shows in their G1 match where Tanahashi pretty much works heel against Shibata.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

I need your favorite matches with big guys hitting each other very hard and tossing reckless suplexes.

Ishii/Elgin at the G1 two years ago. They go full force, beating each other to poo poo, and it's incredible. I'm not an Ishii fan in general but I absolutely adore that match.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Not sure if this deserves a thread or not, but whatever. What matches are the best examples of pure in-ring storytelling? Like, they don't have to be flashy or anything, just matches with good self-contained stories and that.

For example, one of my favourite matches ever is Okada/Makabe from Dominion 2013, purely because of the storytelling. Makabe is a big guy and a former IWGP Heavyweight Champion who throws really hard lariats and dragon suplexes and that. Okada's finisher is a wristlock lariat, and he's a former champion, so it kinda makes sense that he'd want a go at Okada. However, Makabe's nearly 41 at this point, and at this point Okada is a heel who wants to prove that Makabe's past his prime. This is especially evident in the first part of the match where Okada overpowers Makabe at several points and tries an early Rainmaker. However, as the match progresses, Okada finds that he can't drop Makabe, whereas Makabe lariats Okada to the canvas several times easily. He can't pin Okada though, so he eventually just picks up one of the announce tables, sets it up on the ramp and effortlessly powerbombs Okada through the table. At this point Makabe's accepted that he might not pin Okada, but he can definitely win the match by countout, especially as Gedo's screaming at Okada to get up. However, Makabe changes his mind around the count of 14, and he drags Okada back into the ring, powerbombs him and gives him a bridging dragon suplex...for a two-count. The rest of the match involves Makabe panicking as Okada makes his comeback, especially at the end when he throws lariats left and right, only to be flipped over into a Tombstone and a Rainmaker.

Basically, I love that match because it tells a simple and effective story of Okada the young, cocky bastard nearly losing to the older, more experienced Makabe until he finds a way to outsmart the heck out of him. What are good examples of self-contained stories like that?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I guess Brody would've gone to the WWF when Hogan left for the first time. Guess we'll never know.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Suzuki's 48, and he had that amazing match with Okada last month. Otherwise, I can't really add to what's already been said.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tozawa's gimmick is going AHHHH

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I watched a couple of Tanahashi matches from 2004 the other day, and in both matches he pinned his opponents with the bridging dragon suplex. How soon after that did he start using the High Fly Flow as a finisher?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

They just don't want to pull the trigger on Finn/Joe IV huh

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Incidentally, Shane only started using Here Comes The Money at Backlash 2001. Missed opportunity for them to debut it at X7 imo.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Roman is a good wrestler. He had great matches with Bryan, Lesnar, AJ and KO for example, and he has a great sense of ring psychology. Trouble is, he was pushed at exactly the wrong time. Unless they change course and give Big E all the momentum, he will be The Guy going forward. So it goes.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Give Roman the book

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Timby posted:

Presumably in the Fatal Four-Way instead of Foley.

Yep, and the Streak would've died there and then. Thank goodness he was injured.

e: also, I assume that if Austin hadn't been injured for the Royal Rumble he would've been in Big Show's place, so that would've been interesting

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Also, Jushin Thunder Liger's used the exact same theme since 1989, and amazingly enough he's still going strong.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

That summary was really badly written, but Christ alive, the message came through: ROH's management in the early days of the Sinclair regime was incompetent as heck, and not because of Cornette. I mean, I loving hate Jim Cornette, but I can't deny that he has a better understanding of the business than that prick. Urgh.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Ostentatious posted:

in the context of wrestling bruno sammartino was bigger than both hogan and rock.

where does Ric Flair fit in?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

remusclaw posted:

Best wrestler/top 3 draw of the 80's?

Fair. Wasn't a chance that he was bigger than Sammartino then. Cool.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Nakamura's English is okay though. Look at his first promo against Aries, for instance. He had a nice sense of timing there. That said, I'm pretty sure Ziggler will do the heavy lifting on that end of the feud, whereas Nakamura will say a few things at the end that really pop the crowd before Kinshasaing the poo poo out of him.

Asuka? Eh. Asuka just needs to be pushed as a silent killer. I dunno how that'll get over, but it's what they need to do.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Randy's best matches were his ones against Triple H at No Mercy 2007

that was ten years ago, Christ

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So if Tanahashi is NJPW's equivalent to Cena, who is NJPW's Randy Orton?

e: I mean it's probably Shinsuke, but Randy hasn't reinvented himself to the level that Shinsuke has. Maybe if they'd just kept him aligned to the Wyatts he would've come into his own then, but noooooope

Venomous fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 20, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

ECIII is bad.

Derrick Bateman is good tho

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

He carried The Big Show to the best match of his career, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the Bush administration was a weird time

But Clinton was still in power. Same difference tho.