Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Minidust posted:

Ha, one of my friends was working that NYWC show and he texted me when I was watching SummerSlam to ask if Bryan had showed up. I wonder if Whipwreck explained the situation to his workers or if it was just an unspoken obvious thing that everyone figured.

Well they also spoiled that Bryan would be showing up on WWE.com during the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Reminds me of when Jimmy Yang was visiting at a TV taping and Vince said something like "why aren't you in your gear?" and Jimmy said "you fired me a year ago".

Always bring your gear.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

He also kicked Dolph's nose straight into his brain.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

This isn't really an answer to your question but here's another one: why don't they just give the Sin Cara gimmick to Hunico? He had better matches under the mask then the other guy did, anyway.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The Mayweather/Show program ruled and was like the second best match on that card.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The Championship Scramble was basically just a retread of that Hardcore Invitational they had at whatever Wrestlemania with the Hollys and it was loving dumb as rocks because it should've been near-impossible for anyone to retain their belt. I think it was positioned between HiaC and ladder match title defenses where the people were like oh wow dangerous match they've gotta go all-out for that belt WACKY FREE-FOR-ALL BEAT-THE-CLOCK JOBBERFEST oh jeez somebody could get hurt that belt sure means a lot.

In fact, I think the ladder match was HHH vs. Hardy and the angle was HHH didn't want to wrestle in Hardy's signature match because it was an unfair disadvantage when he had just defended his belt against four people at once and anyone could've conspired to lie down for someone else and get pinned because the current champ didn't have to be involved in the pinfall.

As a method for crowning a new champ after that bullshit Punk angle, fine. As a match for the 24/7 hardcore title, perfect.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Randy Orton pretty much has X-Pac heat, it's just manifesting as boring chants or chants for the commentators.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The most famous occurrence was probably Mike Sanders getting fired because he didn't go shake Triple H's hand at the airport, supposedly because Triple H was injured and Sanders didn't see him sitting down.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ShadowedFlames posted:

Ok, so I have a question that I'd like to get several opinions on.

I'm working on a gaming side project where I want to factor in different win bonuses/loss penalties based on the type of finish. The catch is that I'd like to vary the bonuses and penalties so that, say, a DQ win barely helps the victor while really hampering the loser, and so forth.

The problem I'm running into is where to rank "non-standard" finishes based on matches available to the game engine. For instance, where does escaping a steel cage rank the winner (or loser) compared to a First Blood match, or a ladder match, and so on?

I know it's a relative thing based on performance if this were real life pro graps, but for this purpose I'm looking at treating all similar finishes equally, whether it be Fingerpokes of Doom or legit MOTY candidates.

I cannot emphasize enough that escaping the cage should be the tiniest possible bonus because it's literally running away from your opponent to win.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Sprint posted:

Also, having watched Royal Rumble 2003 (The Night of the Belly-to-Belly), I had another question - has there ever been a Rumble where all of the contestants had been eliminated before the next person came out?

I don't think there's a point where everyone is eliminated but the 2011 Royal Rumble is, I think, the best booked Rumble of the last ~15 years in that it goes through a number of phases where certain factions rule the ring and team up to eliminate people as soon as they enter. Even the Cena/Hornswoggle team is effective comedy.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

What are you asking, who made a lot of money? I mean Goldberg made more than DDP, at least. Nash made a shitload. Who was kayfabe protected by the end?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

This was asked in the picture thread. I'm currently in the process of making a spreadsheet of every notable deceased wrestler I can find with their birth year, death year, age, and cause of death. It currently stands at 167 corpses and will go on until I run out of notable wrestlers or get sick of the whole idea.

Thus far, it looks like before the television era, wrestlers were much like other people. (I'm sure that wrestlers as a demographic would have differences from the general population, but it's not like I'm going to study demographic data in several countries over the past century.) Most of them lived to be senior citizens and died of age-related illnesses, with some dying younger from chronic illnesses and the odd death from accidents or violence. In the television era you start to see people dying of drug overdoses or heart attacks before they reach the age of 60, and it got much worse in the boom era.

One thing that really surprised me is how few wrestlers have died in automobile accidents. So far it's just Jerry Blackwell, JYD, and Adrian Adonis. I've found one record of a guy dying in a plane crash--a private plane he was flying.

Hey if you're not planning on using this for anything else a friend of mine is a statistician guy and would be interested in running the numbers.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ColeM posted:

I think its more that the new generation, so to speak, don't care enough about the business to improve. They're looking to get a paycheck and that's it. Case in point: Shelton Benjamin. He cared more about videogames than improving his charisma.

Hunter? Is that you?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Rock is probably just savvy enough to know better than to fan the flames of him being on bad terms with anyone and knows that's the one big match with someone of his era that never happened.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yes because it's a work.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Probably, because they'd most likely be using a gently caress finish to give somebody a win over Show without making him look weak.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The scale is at least like -3 to 6 so it may as well be infinite and consequently meaningless.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't know that Lawrence Taylor really counts as much as the others since football players doing wrestling is about as old as football. Tyson and Mayweather are both boxers so a shoot fighter doing a worked fight isn't all that unusual either, except the magnitude of their profile I guess.

It's probably Maria Menounos. Rodman and Malone is definitely the biggest business wise except Tyson, I'd guess? But he asked WWE.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

If you watch the Hart/HBK Greatest Rivalries DVD (which you should you dumb idiot), Hart sort of slips in something about Neidhart possibly breaking the rope on purpose but him having nothing to do with it. Which is a pretty devious move to ruin a match and keep your spot, if true.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Stacy Keibler was one for like a minute, Booker T married one.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Any excuse to post Mankind's piano theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EROJk8tD218

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

that's not how it works. WWE or the publisher can't say "you are not allowed to review our games." they may not send them free review copies but that's it, they can't stop them from covering it. and I highly doubt WWE pays off gaming publications, considering their review scores.

yeah but unless you get the game prior to release so you can put out a review on or before street date then you may as well not review it at all for the amount of revenue you'll get out of your work and expenses

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

magnum_valentino posted:

So when one of the Twilight movies came out, Matt Striker said on commentary “He thinks those Twilight kids look like Sir Oliver Humperdink” and a few minutes later “Listen, a lot of things are unexplained, eleven years between Toy Story sequels, yet seven months between Twilight movies, so I guess time goes on, so does evolution”.

...but at least the first ones are telling you there's a movie out you should probably go see.

The second one is making GBS threads on Twilight, here. So.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

If we're gonna have a thread on Triple H burying people we should also have a thread on John Cena cozying up to the smark darling of the moment to siphon their babyface aura, see Zack Ryder.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Developmental center symposiums on backstage politicking

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I am surprised that California seems to have outlawed knuckles as well as devices made to look like brass knuckles. They should do a police raid on some prop departments.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

LvK posted:

iirc, prop departments and film armories get legal exemption in CA

That makes sense but is far less interesting.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

This is the one where Rikishi get's back body dropped off of the cell into a dump truck right? That match owned.

He took a straight flatback bump. It looks really dumb. The sawdust even flies up around him when he lands so the people in the cheap seats can see how it was gimmicked. Maybe the most overbooked match ever with Vince driving a truck into the arena in the middle of it and then Commissioner Foley doing a run-in.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

What's the most outlandish/dumbest question Jim Ross will answer?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

You know everybody else was juicing because when people shoot they always go out of their way to talk about how Lance never did.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

What the heck was the XWF? I just jumped to the last part of the Hogan anthology on Netflix and the first match is Hogan vs. Hennig with Tony Schiavone and Jerry Lawler doing commentary and Lawler is barely intelligible. Is this when Lawler quit over the Kat thing??

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I just checked out the Wiki. It was taped in the Impact Zone and had Sable as the heel president. Amazing. The one talent that jumps out as me as a weird roster member is Josh Matthews.

Also at the end of this match Hogan cuts a promo and just talks about how gassed and blown up he is. With those terms.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Santino.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Anybody that says Batista had a "mostly-failed acting career" probably also thinks David Otunga's wife is "some D-list celebrity" and should not be taken seriously.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

so you watched that match and when the result didn't go the way you expected the conclusion you reached was that you can only hold a belt one time in that promotion?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

was Zack Gowen ever a heel

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Austin at least cared to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I presume Japanese fans (rightly) presume that the NJPW product is better than the WWE's and the work seems more "legit", but being that the WWE is undoubtedly larger and older, do they see the WWE or IWGP title as the more prestigious belt? I mean Kojima even seemed to have some respect for the NWA title though of course NJPW has more history with the southern promotions.