Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Just saw a pic of another Rybully victim in the spoiler thread and once reminded of Drake Younger as the victim a couple weeks ago and once was wondering, since he had another appearance tending to Drake after he was attacked, how often has Joey Ryan been seen on WWE television now? I realise he does a lot of mocap work for WWE games (and probably earns more money for that than for the entirety of his TNA run), but it seems to me like he has the most WWE appearances than any other Indy wrestler, or heck, even contracted talent like Braden Walker. He was on Smackdown a couple weeks ago, was a plant at Summerslam last year when Henry speared Sheamus through the ringside barricade, was sleazing around in the background when Miz as champ was walking to the ring and got destroyed twice by Big Show on Smackdown. I'm pretty sure there were a few more matches in which he jobbed, but were there also more background cameos by him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Supreme Allah posted:

Where is Wade Barrett. I literally cannot watch this stuff without him. Jobbering and all.

On the JBL&Cole Show, delivering bad news to people.

*sigh*

BadNewsBarrett

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I seriously wonder what's the backstory behind that dude and if she has a restraining order on him.

Look at the comments on this video http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=QdpsffMLKDU He's got like 100 accounts all dedicated to hating on Molly Holly.

I tried to read some of those comments and, really, stuff like "serious mental issues" doesn't even begin to describe that guy. Seriously, a restraining order isn't getting anything done to shut that guy down or anything. Now on the other hand, the Old Yeller treatment should probably work better. How can any human being be so obsessed/hosed up in the head ?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Very recently. It was the Raw in Toronto when Cesaro did that massive Giant Swing on Santino. The crowd was doing that thing where they didn't care so they tried to amuse themselves with a random chant, and Cesaro brought them back into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWXtHvU6B_E

I think we might have finally found the solution to stupid mark chants - just have Cesaro come out during the match and put one of the guys in a giant swing. Doesn't matter if it's some boring Khali/Hornswoggle/Santino vs 3MB match, another Kofi Kingston match or heck, even a Divas match. After all, he wouldn't really be physically attacking any women, just causing some motion sickness.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

budreck posted:

What happened to him in the mean time? He was only seen in early 90s WCW and late 90s ECW...
Moved (?) to Europe after the death of ECW and has spent most of his time wrestling half a year for European Wrestling Promotion in Germany and Austria as Kanonenkugel Grizzly (Cannonball Grizzly), then half a year for All Star Wrestling in the UK, and so on.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Maybe I am thinking of Slugga then? They had a big rear end bodyguard at some point.

Slugger was the other big guy with Special K indeed. Plus, Joey Matthews was in Special K as well, and he wasn't really a high flyer either. Heck, during his run with them they even made it a point to have him wrestle like a cheap "Jerry Lawler in Memphis" knockoff while the other Special K members were doing 630 corkscrew backwards rana moonsault planchas onto their own faces.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Paulocaust posted:

The 3d is one of the best moves ever. Has anyone kicked out of it?

Aside from the two points already mentioned, wasn't there also one match in Japan where one of their opponents kicked out of the 3D?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Man Saturday Morning Slam was surprisingly good. Remember when Sheamus and Curtis Axel did a Criss-Cross spot where Sheamus just slipped out and Axel just kept running, even when he turned his head to see Sheamus standing by the commentary desk, sipping on a water bottle.

Oh yeah, good times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0vxPCCXjG4
"What are you doing? This is supposed to be serious! I'm a serious wrestler"

Also, who can forget Daniel Bryan's passionate commentary about BEARS?

Man, SMS not getting another season is still so sad, that show was just pure entertainment.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

I vaguely remember reading something years ago about an exploding glass cage death match?

I believe FMW once planned that for a match involving Onita sometime in the mid-90s, but people realised that having a glass cage, rigged with explosives, might just be bit too dangerous even for FMW and cancelled the idea.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Thauros posted:

What was the story there, since Onita was not in fact in the '94 Rumble?

He probably arrived for the Rumble, proceeded to take of his shirt to prepare for the match, some official saw all his scars, and as a result his appearance was scrapped.

Also, looking up Onita's match statistics, I only now realise that that guy had some type of barbed-wire match on pretty much a daily basis around 1994 . How the hell is that guy still active today?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

VogeGandire posted:

I'm pretty sure DDT had a 100+ man Royal Rumble.

Indeed they did, in cooperation with BJW and and Kaientai DOJO. Could only find this short video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJt7AR7ucwo

It used to be in full on YouTube, but those videos were deleted, it seems.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Volcano Style posted:

One of which involved CM Punk (in OVW at the time) being brought down to fill in for some talent who couldn't make it. Punk, in his wrestling tights, went outside and make a snow angel post-show.
That would be Unscripted II, which was probably the best of the Unscripted shows, thanks to focussing pretty much all the attention on Punk and Danielson, though to be fair, Strong vs Whittmer and Nigel vs Aries were pretty entertaining matches themselves, only the opening matches were pretty much useless.

Unscripted I, what a waste. They had a tag title tournament, they had Dick Togo and Ikudo Hidaka, and they had the amazing London-Shane street fight, and yet, what people most remember aside from that match is a bland tournament, and a downright terrible Xavier-Low Ki match with a stupid as gently caress ending.

From Unscripted III, I honestly only remember Danielson vs Jacobs, everything else was just 'there'.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

triplexpac posted:

What kind of name is "Unscripted" for a wrestling show anyway? Was there some sort of gimmick to the event?

The gimmick was "half of hour roster is stuck in a blizzard somewhere so we throw the script out the window and just make up matches as the wrestlers arrive to the building".

Which is quite different than the "Half of our roster is stuck in Europe due to a volcano so we'll focus the entire show on dumb McGruber skits" method the WWE uses for extreme circumstances.

Oh, and on the topic of disgusting foreheads, Devon has to be up there in the running for most disgusting forehead alongside Dusty. Easy to tell that when it came to the Dudleys bleeding, 99& of the time it was Devon.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Thauros posted:

Dave said on today's show with Bryan that "it's of course not true" that Ron Simmons was the first black world champ as commonly claimed. Who was?

I'm fairly certain Bobo Brazil won the NWA Heavyweight title in the 60's from Buddy Rogers. Not sure of the exact year, but definitely decades before Simmons.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

To think, in theory he could have attacked Crash right then and there and become the Hardcore Champion. What a wasted opportunity.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

TL posted:

I can't believe this was actually a thing. Holy balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZiTbU5JTUk

I can't believe Vince Russo hasn't somehow come up with a Triple Cage Bungee King of the Mountain match, in which you have to fight your way to the top of the third cage, where you will have to climb outside, bungee jump down to pick up the title lying on the outside, and once you're back on top hang the title up in the rafters.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

Was Coach not a tag team champion with Regal when Eugene got injured? Or am I imagining that?

He was a last-minute sub for Eugene at a house show where him and Regal lost the titles to La Resistance, but given that it was a house show, I'm not sure he is even recognized as a champ or whether in the WWE's history line it's just "La Resistance beat Regal and Eugene for the titles" with no mention of Coach at all.

And Coach really was the best when he was interviewing the Rock. Yeah, he was always the butt of the jokes, but man, him and Rock had great chemistry in those interview segments.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Castomira posted:

Why is it that even in female-centered promotions like SHIMMER, et al, literally every single referee is a man?

In some places it is probably also to keep costs down. From what I remember, most of SHIMMER's initial shows were run on the same weekends ROH had events in the Chicago area, so they could use the same ring crew, refs and other workers.

Which also lead to some entertaining dark match stuff like the Come As You Are Rumble before the first SHIMMER taping, which featured like half the ROH roster at that time.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

On-topic: Is CIMA still wrestling? I haven't heard anything about him in a long time, and I kind of lost touch with what's going on in Dragon Gate because I don't know where to watch it nowadays.

Still very much active in Dragon Gate, though he hasn't been in DGUSA sine summer last year. Also, I believe he is now in his 10th or so stable of his career with We Are Team Veteran.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Road Dogg and Josh Matthews spent like, half of Are You Serious? making fun of his weight.

I used to think they were mocking Kidman 'just because' as a sort of running gag. Then he appeared on the BNB&Cody Show a couple weeks ago and it became quite clear they weren't really exaggerating about him.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Minidust posted:

There was actually an in-ring segment with Stephanie and Jericho in which it was very specifically addressed, complete with before and after pics on the tron. It was like a more awkward version of a typical McMahon humiliation segment (and of course my mom was in the room when it originally aired).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZU1r9xuppc
The whole segment involving Jericho, Rock, Steph, Booker and Rhyno.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Corzaa posted:

Has Randy Orton ever eaten a Stunner?

Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlsSlHiyyEI

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Ambrose paid hommage to Sandman by doing a White Russian Leg Sweep to Cesaro on Smackdown this week as well.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Still, none of those scenarios beat the one where Kane chokeslammed Ryder off a loading bay and you could actually see Ryder's body bouncing back up after landing on the crashpads.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can't help but be bored out of my loving mind every single time Orton is on screen, regardless of what he's doing. The last thing I enjoyed was the RNN updates and that was over ten years ago.

Good excuse to post this match again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccI9vWCS7UU

If that doesn't entertain you, nothing will.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn't he have a terrible knockoff version while in TNA?

'Terrible' doesn't even begin to describe it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZFPbAd_RMA

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Endorph posted:

That guy with the middle east gimmick in TNA whose theme song started with a loving plane crash.

Sheikh Abdul Bashir, better known as Daivari:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBluf_YzRg4

- Exploiting a wrestler's real-life alcohol/drug issues (Hawk, Hall, Roberts, etc)

- Roddy Piper in blackface

- Cryme Tyme's entire gimmick

- Katie Vick

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

Speaking of the piledriver ban, before the one Punk did against Cena, when was the last time someone did one post ban? The only other one I can think of is Shawn Michaels against Cena at WrestleMania 23, on the steps no less. But was there another one besides that?

Dreamer against RVD on WWECW in 2007 as well, sometime later in the year (November, I believe).

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Red posted:

Has anyone ever taken a Pedigree through a table?

Just talking WWE, I'm pretty sure Sheamus and Mick Foley took Pedigrees onto the announce table, but I'm not sure anyone ever took one through a stand EZBreak table. Of course, there was that one time Rock tried to pedigree through a announce table that just no-sold the move.

That said, I'm sure there are there plenty of backyarders that took pedigrees off house roofs through tables, just because.

edit: drat I'm too slow for this.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Sir Jebus posted:

In fairness, that was a double foot stomp on the apron, which just seems like a dumb idea anyway. And it looked like it sucked real bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybuoPnJs8pQ

Anytime I see that video and see the link to YoukilledPaul2, I can't help but be pissed that neither did the ref end the match right then and there, or at least tell Davey to cover London for a fast 1-2-3, but actually let the match go ahead for almost 2 more minutes, including letting Paul do an SSP while clearly concussed.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Marty's supposedly making it big in Hollywood, which why they also don't do the "Worst Promo Ever" vids anymore, which is probably a blessing.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

minoru suzuki posted:

what was tna's best top to bottom ppv in terms of match quality? i dont remember it too well but i think destination x 2012 was pretty great?

I don't fully remember what all the matches were, but Sacrifice 2007 was pretty serviceable. Chris Harris and James Storm had a brutal no-DQ match, Sabin defending his X-title against Lethal and Dutt, a 4-way between Jerry Lynn, Shelly, Low Ki and Tiger Mask (III, I believe?), decent enough match between Joe and AJ (nowhere near their best obviously), and a couple other average matches, with no real stinker that I remember.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

That show had the Christian/Angle/Sting three way with one of the dumber finishes in TNA history. (Sting has Christian pinned, Angle has Sting in the ankle lock but Sting taps out at 2 because he's too much of a wuss to last one more second.) Oh god and it also had the VKM vs Bashams match! Not saying that disqualifies it.

Dumbest finish no doubt, but at least the match up to then was okay. Though I definitely chose to forget that tag match.

And since Eugene mentioned BFG2007, I had that up for consideration as well due to the matches he mentioned, BUT it had a Reverse Battle, a bad Knockouts Gauntlet, and the awful AJ/Tomko vs Truth&Consequences tag title match.

Man, finding a top to bottom good TNA PPV really is a challenge.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Haggis Heed posted:

What about the top to bottom worst TNA PPV?

Victory Road 2009. "Minus Five Stars"

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Bard Maddox posted:

both Nakamura and Tanahashi seemingly walk around like old men due to back issues from a very demanding and bump-filled schedule

Maybe they should try DDPYoga. And once they get hooked on it, start their own yoga programs. YeaohYoga!

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Probably one of the people in the world who has such a grin on his face while talking about how a lighttube sliced open his chest and the ringside crew 'closed' the wound with cloth and tape.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

The first one was really, really stupid, as was 2006.

Given who won the title in both, that's no surprise. The last one they had for the X-Division title in 2009 was pretty decent though.

Of course, King of the Mountain is far from worst type of 'reverse' match TNA has had. I still wait for TNA to modify their Reverse Battle Royal into a Reverse Royal Rumble, where once 10 or 15 guys have fought their way into the ring, people can only be limited after at least 60 seconds has elapsed, and once they are eliminated their entrance music starts to play in reverse.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Xavier was going for a Nation of Islam character, and The Shield were only 2/3 white dudes.

What now, flatHITLER?

If anything, Woods was trying to be Black Brother Love.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

I just watched that entire thing. Was that actually Sasuke? Anyone else big in that? Like I think I saw Bob Sapp, right?

Yuji Nagata and Riki Choshu would be two other big names getting slapped in that vid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

triplexpac posted:

She really just didn't give a poo poo, from what I've heard.

Was it Justin Gabriel who took off in the middle of a tour and it took them a while to notice he was missing?

The deal with Gabriel was that he went to every Raw and Smackdown, didn't get to do anything (not even dark matches) and after a couple of weeks decided "gently caress it, I'm going skydiving", someone from creative called him after he had already jumped to ask where the hell he was, and he decided then to just not bother with WWE anymore.

«3 »