Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Flips or cartwheel moves. Dream's Death Valley Driver, Kenny's fireman's carry into moonsault thing, Kushida's cartwheel dropkick. Special mention to Hanson's cartwheel that he seems to do for no real reason other than to show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

The Axe Bomber is a running clothesline, straight arm out to the side run into the guy. It’s not a lariat at all.

A western lariat is apparently a lariat without a run, although Hansen ran into it plenty.

I'm pretty sure I've heard western lariat used to describe left-arm lariats in general too, though this could be by people who are making it up.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Going back to ring size how does the modern New Japan ring compare to the WWE/WCW ring?

Also around when did the WWF tighten it's rope up? Watching the Madison Square garden Tiger Mask matches are always a trip for how loose the WWF ropes were at the time

AJ Styles has said the NJPW ring is very slightly smaller than WWE. Someone in a several year old reddit thread says 19.67 feet square, which is basically 6 meters.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

edit: If they ever let him post on Youtube again, find a guy named Showbuckle's videos on NJPW. He offers context to matches and angles and even NJPW employees (like Kenny Omega and Kevin Kelly) like the videos

They're on Vimeo now, which is less likely to remove them.

More suggestions: Hiromu Takahashi's title run (Starts at WK11, goes to Dominion). Evil vs Okada in the G1, Kenny vs Juice Robinson (also in the G1). Older matches worth checking out include some of Apollo 55's tag team matches, and also the ones against each other after Prince Devitt splits to found Bullet Club.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Golden triangle moonsault. I don't actually know who does them besides Kota Ibushi and a 5'7" 20 year old at my local indie but it's my favorite move.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

They claim its not sourced enough and is challenging to maintain (the signature moves section was, but bullshit that finishers were) and so like three people decided it must be removed.

The argument is being made that that's what the pro wrestling wiki is for, and it is, but I don't see any of these people copy pasting that section over before removing it/replacing it with a frankly useless and badly written section in prose about someone's long and dramatic history surrounding the hammer lock DDT.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 6, 2018

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Yeah. Like, it'd be hard if Kenny got hurt right now because Hiromu is out too and Jericho is off doing whatever the gently caress, but usually suddenly we'd see the Jr. Heavyweight champ and the IC champ main eventing big shows for a couple months, and Goto and Juice main event the tour shows. Maybe the KOPW HW defense doesn't happen.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Yeah, I meant like a broken leg or blowing up his ACL, something that would guarantee he's out.

EVIL's injury from earlier this year is the nearest actual example I can think of (since Hiromu wouldn't have to be on shows right now anyways) - Sanada carried both belts around and the Jr. Tag titles got defended far more often than they probably should have been.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Sometimes the promotion puts Joey Janela in the ring with Marty Janetty for 15 minutes and let god sort it out.

But yeah typically it's a heel heels it up, ECW legend comes out and hits a finisher, goes home. Most of these guys aren't taking bumps any more, and most of the ones who are shouldn't be. There's a few (Gangrel, apparently?) who still go basically full speed but just don't do dives or anything, but it's not common.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Well Big Boss Man was a cop or something, so probably.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Jody Fleish was booked in AIW's JLIT tournament this year, which from what I've gathered was his first time back in the US in years, and he had an amazing match with Andrew Everett. He definitely still has everything he used to.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I watched the All In Battle Royale on YouTube and had a few questions:

1) is Punishment Martinez on the WWE’s radar? He seems to be the type they go for

2) does Jimmy Jacobs wear a dress a lot? When did this start?

3) what’s the deal with The Best friends hugging?

4) how tall is Marko Stunt?

1) no clue, it's worth saying that's one of the better Punishment Martinez matches I've seen, he's usually a fair bit more plodding than that. I've seen him described as "just Baron Corbin but better" and it's basically correct.

2) yeah, his gimmick is Zombie Princess and it's just because he thinks it's funny

3) they're best friends, so they hug each other. At some point in the last year or two a camera guy thought it'd be funny to give them the same wide shot that Okada gets when he does his pose after a Rainmaker, and everyone does it now.

4) he's very very small

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

TheCool69 posted:

2 questions.

1) has the "reverse Dragon screw" that Tana used on Suzuki been done before?

2) Listening to LapsedFan and their lookback on Summerslam 2005. The segment on Edge/Matt Hardy made it sound like WWE/fans really didnt give a poo poo about Matt. Can anybody who was part of IWC at the time tell me how the angle was looked at?

And i guess my other question is.. how did they(WWE/Matt) gently caress that up? Was it Matts promos? The decision to have Matt loose the feud?

A lot of people have answered your second question but yeah Suzuki does the reverse dragon screw a bunch.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Davros1 posted:

The opening of his reminds me too much of "N.I.B" that it becomes a distraction.

No, no, his old music.

The silent one

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Riddle makes the bare feet thing look easy but when watching him (and mma actually) I am in perpetual terror that the match is going to end with someone sweeping nail shards off the mat.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Tiger Mask is a classic, and as a bonus if you ever need to work Stardom you'll be set.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

She's been wrestling since 2015, which was right after she got released from UFC. Almost exactly as long as Riddle has been, actually. Filthy Tom's actually been at it the longest, he's the one who had done a couple years on the indies before MMA.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Shayna as another Minoru Suzuki-type would be a hell of a thing to see and I hope we do get that.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

PCO and Kyle O'Reilly also.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

From ones that I didn't watch subtitled, nearly any of Hiromu Takahashi's in-ring promos.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I was there when he said it

I feel like I should ask a question instead of letting this dumb thing continue though. What's the lamest looking championship belt you've seen? It can be for tiny local indie feds if you can find me a picture of their weird cardboardy belt.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I think I hate the Jeff Hardy belt as a weird personalized belt but if a promotion had just said "this is what our belts look like, forever" I'd probably be into it.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

It's obviously nowhere near as bad as those but the original IWGP Intercontinental belt looked way shittier than you'd expect considering how gorgeous most of New Japan's modern belt design is (aside from the NEVER titles)

Oh cool I love those coin pressing machines you find at the zoo

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

How bad was Inokiism New Japan anyway

I know it's objectively bad because it almost bankrupted them, but was the wrestling bad

Some of it was good, most of it was mediocre, some was very bad. If you like shoot-style stuff then just watch UWFi or something though.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Wrestling podcasts most worth listening to?

AIW if you want something about how running indie shows goes. It's pretty unique among wrestling podcasts.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

First full show I went to was probably AIW Death Rowe.

Matt Justice vs Shane Mercer
The Production (Frankie Flynn and Magnum CK) vs Chase Oliver & Tre Lamar
The Party Never Ends (Big Twan Tucker and Parker Pierce) vs Weird World (Alex Worldwide Kellar and Weirdbody Evan Adams)
Malcolm Monroe III vs Jonathan Wolf
No Consequences (AJ Gray, Garrison King, and Joshua Bishop) vs The Production (Colby Redd, Derek Director, and Eddy Only)
Dominic Garrini vs Juice Robinson
Dedication Personified (Brian Carson and Dr. Daniel C. Rockingham) vs The Philly Marino Experience (Philly Collins and Marino Tenaglia) vs The Young Studs (Bobby Beverly and Eric Ryan) vs To Infinity and Beyond (Cheech and Colin Delaney)
Keith Lee vs Ray Rowe

I'd just started watching wrestling with NJPW six months prior and heard that Ray Rowe was having his final indie match in Cleveland, like three blocks from my house. Every single one of these matches except Monroe vs Wolf was awesome though (I can't remember either of them ever being back in AIW either), so I don't think I could have picked a better first show.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 11, 2019

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

fadmonkey posted:

Can Hangman Page do a moonsault?

https://youtu.be/ElW2eeEGuxU

Yeah I'd say so

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Bring back the U-30 title

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Alex Shelley might still, he's got a title shot in a couple weeks.

On the other hand maybe they'll feed one of the best wrestlers in ROH's history to I'm Matt Taven.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I assumed LividLiquid meant GDTs like Raw and Smackdown's every week in which case no, we somehow talked ourselves out of those for the G1.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

eljackass posted:

Hey! I've been out of the loop for a while. What happened to Ronda Rousey? And Nia Jax? Are they both retired or have moved on to different things?

edit: and what about Asuka?

vanished after mania and it's unclear if she's coming back, knee surgery I think, and is too Asian for vince's taste so got shuffled off to a tag team that's never on tv, respectively

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

What? How?

Check this out. WWE has done a lot of awful poo poo but "literally murdering kids" is not on the list afaik

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is Evolve any good? I’m going Saturday for my birthday pretty much just for Matt Riddle. I heard their champion is going to NXT, so maybe I’ll get to see him drop the title.

Yeah, sure. People are kinda down on it here because it's managed to give itself the optics of NXT's NXT over the past year, but if you're going to see a Matt Riddle match then Matt Riddle is almost guaranteed to give you a goodass match, he loves Evolve.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

He's managing a guy at my local indie now and it's really a great act.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I used to stick needles through my fingertips and cheeks and stuff in grade school to impress people so that kind of stuff doesn't get me too bad.

That said, the spot on the mania weekend AIW show where Josh Bishop pounded bamboo skewers into Dominic Garrini's cauliflower ear made me stop the stream and go lie down, so it still can be real nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

davidbix posted:

I agree, but didn't it turn out that the Indiana thing was someone panicking and not a wrestler having Hep C or HIV?

I seem to recall it pretty quickly coming out that the state (correctly, probably) had to recommend that about any incident where there's both a crowd and a lot of blood, not that there was any real suspicion that bloodborne disease was likely.