Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

nasboat posted:

Write off the Ohno stuff as rumor if you want, but is there anyone who would be surprised if it turned out to be true? Hero has always had issues with his weight.

Really, the biggest thing that would make me think it's idle speculation is that this story would be too easy to come up with.

Meltzer and Ohno had a rapour for a long time.

When some Wrestling World News or similar newz source reported Ohno failed for steroids in his pre-contract WWE wellness screening. Ohno went to Meltzer to get the word out that it was false and even recorded an exclusive podcast with Dave that week.

I believe the story to be completely true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

VogeGandire posted:

Don't read Regal's book in that case. Goldberg manages to gently caress with his career too.

How much of a career was Regal having at that point in fairness.

triplexpac posted:

Regal's book is probably the best WWE biography I've read, and I think I've read them all.

Most honest and self-critical.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Red posted:

I wasn't being completely serious asking about Jeff's career options should TNA fold. Hopefully, at this point, he's got enough in savings that he could retire without having to become a full-time wrestler again.

I would believe so too.

Apparently Vince McMahon rang Jeff to extend his condolences when Jill Jarrett passed away and they made peace. But what else would Vince in that situation.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Palmer Cannon definitely quit WWE after an altercation with JBL, the only question is what JBL tried to do.

Wasn't just sexual verbal abuse if anything it was more JBL's crew just completely working him over going to so far as saying Palmer's brother who died in a car accident was burning in hell and things like that.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Jeff grew up raised by his mother and didn't really get close to his father until he was older. One theory is Jerry pushed Jeff so hard to try and make it up to him, and helped him get the funding needed for TNA for much the same reason. Jerry became disillusioned with TNA pretty quickly and the two had a major falling out when Jerry negotiated the deal between WWE and Kozlov and ended up on WWE.com for it. Jerry is very candid about TNA and Jeff's ability to draw in interviews which doesn't help the situation.

You've got most of the details correct however Jeff's mother was really crazy. Jerry felt really guilty leaving Jeff to live with her while Jerry raised his other children in an affluent and caring environment. Jerry was guilted into starting TNA.

However for whatever reason it has come out within the last year that Jerry's two other sons no longer speak to him too. The only child that speaks to Jerry is his sole daughter.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

CombineThresher posted:

So what has Dave Prazak been up to? Now that he's not part of the ROH announce crew I've kinda lost track of him. Is SHIMMER still around?

SHIMMER is still very much around. Dave has been doing a fair bit of colour commentary on various indies the past year. AAW seems to be the main place.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Is there an African American NBA, NFL or Basketball player that Brickhouse Brown hasn't claimed on a shoot interview he hasn't smoked crack crack or double teamed whores with?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

the_american_dream posted:

This may be more for the NXT thread but where does the Ascension "yah" thing come from? Every video I see is from just the crowd chanting it

To my understanding it was the crowd entertaining themselves. NXT kind of ruined the Ascension in Full Sail's eyes as earlier in the year the team would have the exact same squash match 3 or 4 times per taping.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Is the RVD/Sabu vs Hayabusa/Jinsei Shinzaki generally considered one of Sabu's best? Because I was never a big Sabu fan back in the day but rewatching that match there is some really impressive stuff in it and no notable botches. That combo of top rope rana into frog splash is nutty good even if as good as they are they are sort of out shined by Shinzaki in his prime being a tattooed demonic badass.

Yes it is. If you have to opportunity to rewatch it again tune out the high spots and the crowd pops and focus on what Sabu is doing he is a great worker in it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Sabu's strike rate is really lambasted on the WWE Countdown: High Flyers episode. He's no Seth Rollins thats for sure.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Is the Gary Hart autobiography out of print? All I've been able to find are used copies asking for more than a hundred bucks for it on eBay. Heard incredible thing about it/am a huge WCCW fan so I was trying to find a copy of it.

Had two limited hard copy publishings and is now out of print.

Sadly it is never going to be republished again via hard copy or ebook. Gary's co-author (Philip Varriale) thinks that due to some of the content he is liable to be sued. There's some sketchy things in the book but no different from a lot of biographies. Court Bauer offered to pay a lawyer to look over it and Varriale still wasn't interested.

The book had a now or never moment a couple of months ago as Steve Austin raved about it on his podcast and started a mini-campaign partly aided by Twitter to get it republished. Varriale and Gary's sons weren't interested.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Sebastian Vettel posted:

How much cocaine did wrestlers use to do before cutting promos? I'm watching the early Raws on WWE Network and just witnessed a frankly terrifying nonsensical promo by the Mega Maniacs where Brutus Beefcake seemed to come dangerously close to beheading Jimmy Hart and Hogan sang.

There's a Don Muraco promo with white powder in his noise.

In the talent's defence they need SOMETHING given how much they were they were on the road and tour dates were not talent friendly. They would go East Coast to West Coast to East Coast in the course of a couple of days rather than doing what they do now which is touring in concentrated areas.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

And Hayes isn't really alone in the racist employee department, is he? Isn't the story on Del Rio's firing that he punched a staff member after he said racist stuff?

He isn't and that's the story. For a public Company WWE is still very sloppy when it comes to race or using racial terms. It is a hangover from a prior era. Carlito told a story that during the initial character vignettes Vince McMahon told him to "Spic it up a bit." Carlito was raised fairly middle/upper class due his father being a major Wrestling star.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

crime fighting hog posted:

Jesus, that's depressing. I mean I'm glad he's at least on the clean(er) path now but wow.

He reappeared on the Indies and then as a trainer in NXT but I think he disappeared again.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MrBling posted:

Is Joey Mercury actually a good backstage agent or is his job more of an apology from WWE because they exploded his face that one time?

He is legitimately viewed as the next Pat Patterson figure.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Writer Cath posted:

:3: I'm so happy he got his life straightened out.

Yeah that's quite the story. I always remember this interview from 2007:

quote:

FREE DR KEITH~! (show) is back with a extraordinary two part episode. The super heavyweight show of audio lore has a very special guest for part one as Joey Matthews joins us in his first interview since leaving the WWE. Stories from his entire career (so far) ECW, WCW, TNA, ROH, XPW, OVW, MNM, WWE, wellness, addiction, and pro-wrestling love! A marvelous DKE (Dr. Keith Exclusive!) Also Your New Teacher Bill Barlow and his ugly students, a WWE Ice Cream story, remembering a great friend and a Khali croon. Join us back this weekend with part two of the show that could not make weight with Gabe Ruediger!

http://www.f4wonline.com/free/051107dks.mp3

Hopefully the free link still works. He just poured his heart out here. His family seemingly all were addicts/had addictive personalities.

The only rap against him these days that he's a stooge (CM Punk only just called him that today) and makes it worse as he is very thin skinned about it hence why they refer to him as that on TV as a rib.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I don't think Cornette has done the coughing thing since lost all that weight for whatever reason.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MrBling posted:

How does Kevin SteenOwens cannonball splash in the corner not hurt like hell? It's not exactly like he can control very much of what he's doing and the opponent is just sitting there and can't really do much to not just get crushed.

I'm guessing the answer just might be that it really does hurt like hell. Mostly I was just surprised to see that WWE let him do the move.

It does hurt like hell my all accounts. One of the more dangerous moves.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

What led to Goldust being released from the WWF in '99? Drug problems?

He requested his release from WWF to go to WCW. He reconciled with Dusty and Dusty had recently gotten a bit more power in WCW. Realistically Goldust was at end of his "run" with WWF. In fairly grand fashion just look at all the crazy things the character did in just a couple of years span. He famously pitched getting breast implants around the same time in a desperate attempt to revitalise his act. Also Dustin had pretty bad back problems (sciatica?) at the time and the WCW schedule would have been an easier one.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

He was also divorcing Terri, which I'm sure was part of why he wanted to move on.

Oh yeah for sure and why he reconciled with Dusty.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

magnum_valentino posted:

What's her brother Zak up to now? Is he still trying to get fit enough for a successful WWE tryout or has he contented himself with knocking about in the indies? I like him, I'd like to see him do well.

In a tag team with his brother called the Hooligans. He still holds out hope about getting signed with WWE. He has a wife and son now so I don't think it will really happen for him.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

triplexpac posted:

It's not the workrate I was raising question with, it was him being addicted to painkillers and killing himself. Using him as an example for someone to strive for was funny, that's all.

With triplexpac on this. Kerry would miss WWF house show dates all the time due to being hosed up.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
What will they do with Edge and Christian suing WWE for millions after the Authority roughed them up? Drop the angle completely?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I think that's how DeMott got to be head trainer.

More or less. Triple H wanted a drill instructor, someone who listened to Titan Towers and was computer literate. There's a lot of reporting that needs to be done.

Dr. Tom was considered too close to talent and not office. I don't think any FCW students have ever talked bad about him.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Fierce cringe at Benne and MotU here.

Charlotte has always been a weird case for me in terms of perception. Associations with Triple H/management and a big push can really make internet fans turn on you just ask Roman Reigns and Sheamus before him. You even had Michelle McCool being disliked one due to in part her relationship with the Undertaker and the belief she had the power to hold people down. I am just surprised Charlotte has avoided it given how the internet works and how over bearing Charlotte's presence on the division is and her 2014 super push were indie darlings Bayley and Becky seemingly existed to get her over for large parts of the year. Currently I don't know if there's an actual backlash brewing or if my Twitter followers are just aping my excellent opinions which initially had to do with Charlotte getting all the praise from WWE and Meltzer while Sasha Banks was being drastically overlooked.

Thinking Charlotte's mega push hasn't caused resentment in the locker room matter how nice or talented she is given competitive the women are traditionally and how few spots there are is crazy.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

According to rumour*, Vince "subscribed" to the WON, but through Howard Finkel's wife's name.

*Wikipedia

Not even a rumour. Howard's job was to synposise Newsletters for Vince McMahon.

In the modern day Howard is WWE's official podcast listener.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

P-Mack posted:

What's the crowd like at women's wrestling shows?

Is it like a WNBA thing where there are lots of parents with young daughters looking up to their athlete role models?

Or is it 300 pound goons with holes cut in the pockets of their XXXL sweatpants?

More the latter. At Shimmer there's still a fairly diverse crowd though. More gay men and women than you might initially think.

Shimmer has tried to market to women in the local area and have given comps to local female sports teams. But it never really stuck. Kind of like CHIKARA's attempts to promote to Mexicans and children.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Have you seen any Raven match post 2001? Raven loves to talk about how smart he is and has some good ideas (mainly consisting of everyone should have robes) but when it comes to putting together his own matches he doesn't have much of a track record.

Raven is Billy Corgan if Billy wrestled for a bit.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

ZeroDays posted:

I'm reading a "top 20 things that WWE ruined" article, and Zack Ryder is listed as one of them. What's the story with him? Why was he buried?

Everyone has supplied good details but a big thing was that Triple H and Vince didn't think Zack was tough enough/could beat someone up. He's a quirky guy who doesn't give off the best first impression. He loves boy bands, action figures and Disney. His old tag team partner Curt Hawkins among others said that was the reason.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

NickRoweFillea posted:

Do you guys think Punk still talks to some of the WWE wrestlers regularly?

Kofi, Batista (if he counts), Zack Ryder, Big E, Tyson Kidd, Cesaro, Corey Graves, Samoa Joe I'd strongly assume.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Somehow I don't see Matt Bloom officially sanctioning donut stinkfaces or deliberately dangerous practices. Regal, maybe. Billy Gunn when he was around, probably. Triple H probably would (and Bloom would probably follow orders) but I doubt he gives a poo poo about rank-and-file discipline / HR at the PC.

But if you read his interviews prior to his naming as head coach it's clear that Bloom is hyper-conscious of the WWE / NXT / PC as a corporate brand. Plus he seems well-liked. I'd imagine he was hired for reasons beyond "he was already there". Hearing the same sorts of accusations after the shakeup is something WWE will work hard to avoid if it's smart.

Bloom left New Japan on a promise he'd have a "job for life"/"be looked after". Tensai was very much intended to be his last run as a Wrestler.

It always seemed like to me that Triple H made a deathbed like promise to Killer Kowalski is look after his students. For example he did/does what he can with Chyna and Saturn while Fandango will probably last longer with the company than his natural shelf life - arguably he has already.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Petit Gregory posted:

Cody Hall also thinks using PEDs is totally cool.

Not just PEDs.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

magnum_valentino posted:

I just watched the RTE documentary following Finn Balor just before he starts with NXT. There's a scene in a Japanese restaurant where he and his Bullet Club cronies are chopping local guys across the chest, and laughing and high-fiving about it. The guys receiving the chops are clearly not enjoying it, but their arms are being held behind their backs.

So is Finn Balor an rear end in a top hat or what? It was pretty uncool to see.

They are sponsors and pay to hang around with Wrestlers and to get chopped.

Balor is one of the nicer people in Pro Wrestling.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Blasmeister posted:

I hard somewhere the divas actually get paid a fair bit more than their male low-midcard equivalents due to WWE basically subsidizing things like hair/makeup/clothing that they require of them for PR events and photoshoots.

Also a second income from Total Divas.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
If we are talking about Santino I have to link to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWMa6OzWli8

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

Why did WWE/FCW pass on Brian Cage? He seems like their brand of muscle-bound freak.

Basically a superior Ryback

He was caught using horse steroids or whatever?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Solus posted:

What's so good about Sasha? The three matches of hers I've seen in the buildup and at wrestlefest haven't been that great.

She's really good when she has 3 months of full time 9-5 preparation at the Performance Center for her matches with endless rehearsal and tape study. Can't deliver in the weekly WWE TV environment at all. Was more interested in her Eddie Guerrero cosplay than her match at Wrestlemania this year as she's a MARK. Also gets injured by a mild breeze.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Seriously though I do like Sasha but I wish she had a couple of good/decent matches under her belt back to back on WWE TV and could go 2 months without being injured. Coming into 2016 I hoped she'd address the issues I made above but sadly hasn't.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I can deliver hot takes about the WWE midcard all day if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
My takeaway from watching Main Event and Superstars weekly is that Stardust and Adam Rose weren't good at Wrestling and Apollo Crews probably wasn't paying attention during training at the Performance Center.