Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DrVenkman posted:

They've turned it away from generic monster, which I appreciate. He's a little shakier than that and more importantly he's selling the fact that yes he can be hurt.

I think that him being hurt actually helps get over that he is a monster. You can wreck his ankle to the point that he can barely stand, and he'll still push your poo poo in by just toughing it out. No just physically strong, but mentally strong too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Lately JBL and King have both been dropping "receipt" while calling matches. When three people say the same words every single week, it's really jarring when a new word enters their lexicon.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

super macho dude posted:

Whats the deal with wrestlers soaking their hair down sopping wet before a match or promo?

As someone with long hair, I totally get it. Wet hair keeps you cool, but more importantly, it adheres to itself and moves out of your face more easily. You can flip your head back to move it without using a hand to move the stragglers. Look at Adam Rose. He wrestles with dry hair and he's constantly brush it out of his mouth and eyes.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Shima Honnou posted:

Sabu's interesting because every time I see him it's like he wants to be flippy-doo but lacks the confidence to just go for the moves half the time, and the other half it's like he has no sense of balance.

The genius of Sabu is having a character where botching fits the character. Sabu never botches, he just Sabus.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

That DICK! posted:

If the news is to be believed he's about to reveal himself TO a higher power, if that's good enough for you

Username/post combo.

Also Drew Galloway rules and I wish he would be the champ of my local indie.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Does that make Curt Hawkins the wrestling Holy Spirit?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

TL posted:

I was reading that the Bella feud is something the Total Divas producers were pushing for. I've never watched Total Divas. I know is it as scripted as every other reality show, but how much does it break kayfabe? Would they really try to play it off like Nikki and Brie really hate each other?

It is the weirdest mix of kayfabe and reality. They once played it off that Trinity (Naomi) threw a shoot hurracanrana on Jimmy Uso because she was mad at him and it was a problem because that broke the match script.

Somewhere Vince Russo smiled for seemingly no reason.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I know Lance Storm has gone off the deep end lately with some of his opinions, but his tweets during Raw this past Monday really encapsulated everything wrong with the Bella Twins feud. If Nikki is telling the "truth", then wouldn't that make her the face as well as making Brie the heel because she's obviously an awful person? And if Nikkie is lying, then what point is there to her attack and turn in the first place? And how do they handle it on Total Divas which is supposed to be a reality show? Everyone, including friends and family, pretending that this storyline is actually true and acting accordingly?

Well Nikki did have to deal with all the beatings that resulted from Brie quitting. So she's lying to bolster her reasoning for attacking her sister, which is definitely heel behavior and a reason to boo her. But yeah, the angle is a mess when you factor in Total Divas. I imagine we'll get the Bella brother confronting Nikki about tearing their family apart and John Cena saying he doesn't want to get married until the drama settles.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I'm sure we'll all still laugh at Samoa Joe stuck in a hole. That will be TNA's legacy.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

CombineThresher posted:

Because most American wrestling fans only saw him during his stint in WWE, where he was awful.

I thought he was kinda cool when I was young because he did a spinning kick and had little vest.

I still don't think I was wrong. :colbert:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

HogX posted:

So who came up with NXT? It's a really good idea that's been done really well, i'm interested in how it got started, it's fantastic.

Triple H talked about it on Jericho's podcast. It was his first project as an executive with the company and he created the business proposal to present to the board for approval. You can hear the pride in his voice whenever he talks about it. I imagine that somewhere there is a three ring binder with an NXT logo on the front and a bunch of financial reports covered in doodles Metallica logos and skulls inside.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

TNA would have given him the title in a heartbeat for the chance that WWE's mentions them in an offhand way.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

epitasis posted:

none of this is about wrestling or even a wrestler

This is a pro cross-PSP post.

Also, I don't know why wrestling fans are so weirdly obsessed with straight edge and ascribing their own perceived "rules" to it. If you make it past 25 without selling out, you aren't likely to break edge anyways. Punk's still edge.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

People get really worked up about edge in the weirdest way. Just let me drink my root beer in peace.

New topic: I miss suplex variations in WWE and Brock is just mocking me with the fact that I don't get them on the regular.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

epitasis posted:

no he didn't it had been done for the hardcore belt years earlier

The WM2000 battle royal required the champ to be pinned for the title to change hands. Also, I think that all of the title changes in that match actually counted as official reigns.

Someone petition Triple H to rewrite history and make the scramble reigns count. The Brian Kendrick deserves it.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

LightsGameraAction posted:

As someone in the US, where is the best place to order NJPW shirts, and as an adult men's medium, what is the best size to order?

Only shop you need, good brother.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

ZDar Fan posted:

I want to watch a really bad TNA PPV with some friends. What's the worst non-weekly PPV they did? I hear Victory Road '09 and '11 are down there; I'd love to hear this forum's thoughts.

Victory Road '09 has the infamous Sharmell/Jenna Morasca match. I think there is an entire Botchamania devoted to it as well. Might be a better use of your time to just watch that.

omgomgomg posted:

Are there any matches with Shawn Michaels being visibly intoxicated? Or any other wrestlers on that matter

About half of Jeff Hardy's career ("DAMMIT JEFF")

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

LividLiquid posted:

They weren't, is the thing. The first one was shown on a pay-per-view, then all the rest of them, wherein it was revealed that it was a gag, were on the website. So to the average wrestling fan, Tim White shot himself live on PPV and it was never addressed again.

I think Lunchtime Suicide was the way to immediately retcon that horrible PPV segment.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Critical posted:

The rumor is pigs blood and vodka.

I remember seeing this for the first time a few years ago and being really loving disturbed because I was sure it was a shoot. Then I looked it up and felt like a dipshit.

I'm really glad poo poo like this is pretty much gone from the modern product. Someone posted a Memphis video last week where someone gigged and pulled a 1.0 Muta and the kids in the front row looked white as sheets. I think a minor blade once a year for a huge blowoff blood feud would be ok but poo poo like Eddie's job or Flair flinging his blood into the crowd are unnecessary.

I was just watching Starrcade 95 and Flair gushes blood from the most pointless blade job I think I've ever seen. Savage lightly bops him with a megaphone and suddenly he's a crimson mask. The dumbest part is that the match ends about 3 moves later, so it really just felt like blading for the sake of blading.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Awesome write up, Perdido. In my mind, Canadian Stampede was easily the hottest crowd in wrestling history. I cannot think of one that topped it. Not Stone Cold's god pop from the Mankind title win. Not 75,000 yesses at Mania. There is just something special about it and it was one of the first things that I watched when the Network launched. I was at Payback 2013 for Punk's return and that crowd was the loudest crowd I've ever been in. I can't even imagine having been an historically electric crowd.

Perdido posted:

I remember getting to my seats midway through this match because my girlfriend at the time was throwing a hissy fit that I was going to this and I had to console her

I assume this was the catalyst for the break up.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did they ever do that again other than DDP as La Parka and Malenko as Ciclope?

Not WCW but Taker dressed as Kane one time on Raw during the Attitude Era. When he ripped off the mask to reveal himself I flipped my poo poo.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

super macho dude posted:

Whats the word on Daniel Bryan's return? Any chance we'll see him before the end of the year?

On Total Divas? Sure.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Spermgod posted:

Has a mini ever been a major draw?

Rey Mysterio

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Halloween Havoc 97 has the single best match in the history of WCW cruiserweights with the bonus being the start of Rey's ridiculous superhero costumes.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I think it is important to note that the Eliminators broke up because Kronus was too much of a gently caress-up for Saturn. ECW was a crazy place.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I miss Tazz on commentary. He's poo poo now, but his French tickler song will always make me chuckle.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Red posted:

I'm still not sure why The Mexicools rode lawn mowers to the ring.

The Raw Diva Search (was there more than 1?) is horrible and embarrassing.

And I'm embarrassed for wrestling any time a "diva" has her arm raised for "winning" a "match" involving mud, gravy, lingerie, etc.

Wasn't the Mexicools gimmick supposed to be a send up of the Mexican stereotypes? And then in true WWE fashion, they just did the stereotypes without the requisite sending up.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Smoking Crow posted:

Has there ever been true "shoot-style" announcing where all the announcers do is call moves and analyze strategy in the ring? I don't think I've ever seen this and it kind of appeals to me.

Joey Styles in ECW was pretty drat close. He'd comment on the story between the wrestlers but the majority of matches were just move name on top of move name.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He was legit a good promo, and had a buttload of charisma. Watch the Hard Times promo, and this, which is my favorite wrestling promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGG1QGU1VEg

The view never changes, baby.

Dammit, that promo put so much dust in the air. Yes, it's just dust.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

triplexpac posted:

I heard a story about either HHH or Kurt Angle being worried Taz would go into business for himself and shoot on them in a match. I may be misremembering though

It was Angle before Royal Rumble 2000. Could not have been a funnier person worrying about someone trying to legit grapple him.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

famous hoot = anderson
big hoot = gallows
little hoot = rocky
republican/champion/phenomenal hoot = aj
uncircumcised/pussy-slaying hoot = devitt
indietaker = nick jackson
corporate kane = matt jackson

those are the ones you'll hear the most on talkin' shop.

Also on the gerdamn propertee:

Cheerleader Hoot = Cheerleader Melissa
Millionaire Hoot = Bob Sapp

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

omgomgomg posted:

Yeah but, why didn't they ever invest in anyone as much as taker?

Because nobody has the talent of Mark Calaway to make the character work. If any other wrestler had been given that gimmick, it would have faded away as the other cartoon villain fodder of the time.

Bray may be the spiritual successor of Taker, but he will never have the same aura because his character started as a human.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Dibiase

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Spermgod posted:

Noble had a really excellent match with Rey Jr. on Velocity in 2004:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJZQ3Wec9hA

Jamie Noble consistently had awesome matches on Velocity because nobody cared about that show so the cruisers just tore it up every week.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Didn't it happen even before the trial when Vince didn't want to pay an athletic commission, so he just said, "C'mon, this poo poo is fake as hell. I will keep all my money, thanks!"

Edit: Yep, it was New Jersey in 1989.

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 3, 2014

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't they in fact kill Buff with that?

If I remember, that was the regular bulldog version and Buff's head slipped out of Rick's grip, causing his forehead to hit Rick's back and bend his neck backwards.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Spermgod posted:

didn't taker start coming out in street clothes for a little before he went away and came back as the American Badass?

He definitely came out at least once in a black sweatshirt (maybe sweatpants too) and explained that his name was Mark Calaway and he'd gotten too into his satanic priest character.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Great White Hope posted:

I don't think Duggan ever won any belt in WWF either.

Duggan won when the Rumble was a meaningless battle royal.

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 18, 2014

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Davros1 posted:

No it doesn't. When Steiner was started doing it, he'd just whip the guys into the ropes and catch them with it as they came rebounding back. They don't have to be on the turnbuckle.

In modern terminology though, the frankensteiner has come to mean a top rope rana, much like how hurricanrana is used even when a pin doesn't happen. I bet video game CAWs are partially to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Nostradingus posted:

What's the context of that gif of Big Show, holding his fist up, I think wearing a suit, and making a horrified face?

e: this one

He really wanted to punch the Authority. Finding out you will die soon will make you very emotional.