Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Alain Post posted:

Speaking of Arn/Regal, does anyone have any good examples of matches that felt like they were dropped in from another promotion?

Nailz wrestled Giant Gonzalez at a NJPW event in '94.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

freeranger posted:

Which rumble has the crowd swaying along with Gangrels entrance?

Actually if the crowd is getting into the rumble a lot, that helps make it seem better in my opinion :D

Pretty sure it's the '99 one

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Who in the world was that Big Al dude who faced Tank Abbott and almost got his beard shaved at SuperBrawl 2000? Was he one of Tank's actual friends? Some Power Plant punk?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Tweak posted:

what was the worst botch in a stipulation match (or otherwise) that either they had to grossly overlook and/or just accept the new/unplanned finish?

Rick Martel was supposed to defend the WCW TV title twice in a row at Slamboree '98. He got injured badly during the first match so he just did the job to Booker and left him to improvise a match with Perry Saturn.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

sean10mm posted:

What wrestlers actually did a good job of changing their whole persona when going from face to heel or vice-versa? It seems like a lot of guys, including many good wrestlers, are really 99% the same character before and after turning.

Jericho in 2008, to the point where a number of WWE heels tried to copy him to no success.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Ghostpilot posted:

Any favorite wrestling themes that you just know are bad? The sort you ask yourself, "dear god, why do I like this?"

https://youtu.be/4sDMt19MkRk

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

The Croc posted:

All this mention of Limp Bizkit reminds of the other year when fred durst was shown on camera for a ppv and he flipped the bird.

And they muted the audio as he did that. That was great.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

FunMerrania posted:

The moonsault styles clash off the top rope used by that one indy idiot who injured a bunch of guys and himself with it.

Is this a real thing? :stare:

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

C. Everett Koop posted:

Except that's awesome when it happens in Tekken 7 so.....

Tekken is real, wrestling isn't.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Jack Anderson posted:

We should have a Hall of Fame.

Induct Moose Bigelow.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Incessant Excess posted:

Where did the nickname big sexy come from and how did the announcers call Nash that with a straight face?

Kevin Nash is big and sexy.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Looten Plunder posted:

Is there an equivalent of Sherdog/Figthfinder for WWE/Pro Wrestling that has fighter profiles with Match History & W/L records?

http://cagematch.de

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

St Evan Echoes posted:

It was the night after KoTR 99 but I don’t think Hard Times played

I don't remember when it was but Hard Times definitely played.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/939563356377067520

Was Raw actually close to getting cancelled by USA in 98?

They were getting curbstomped by WCW until they brought in Tyson and started the big Austin push, although I don't know anything about behind the scenes.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

:discourse:

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

MassRafTer posted:

WCW cared a ton, it led to Bischoff challenging Vince to a shoot fight.

That wasn't it, the challenge was over Nitro's ratings winning streak being broken.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Karmine posted:

Did I miss something by not seeing her NXT run or am I not as observant of nazi allusions as I thought I was?

Pale-skinned and blonde-haired, the Aryan beauty.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Benne posted:

The Undertaker vs. Triple H

Do people still love this match? I found it an absolute chore to sit through -- all of Hunter's bad "epic match" habits stretched out to an ungodly length.

The HHH tombstone spot was great though. Everyone thought that was it.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Seams posted:

edit: Man, Test was really over as a babyface prior to the wedding. I'm guessing he gets buried by DX constantly afterwards? I didn't watch at the time and was shocked when I read he died at only 33 years old.

I still wonder why they didn't just pit Test against HHH at Armageddon. I know he wasn't good but the match with Vince was godawful.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

You guys are so mean to each other.

They should settle it in a CZW match.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Nystral posted:

Did The Rockers ever reunite after Shawn put Marty through the window? I can’t think of one, but maybe I’m forgetting of something.

If no, was it ever really explained why not?

They had a match against La Resistance in a 2005 Raw during Shawn's feud with Angle.

Also iirc the Rockers were supposed to feud with the Spirit Squad instead of DX after Jannetty saved Shawn from a beatdown in 2006.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

bessantj posted:

Apart from Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase what other "rich" wrestlers have there been?

His son tried the gimmick in like 2010 but it was an absolute failure.

Evolution had luxury cars and stuff, and HHH once tried to pay Booker T to dance for him.

Drew Carey tried to bribe Kane during the '01 Rumble match.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Who was Willie Green?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Cavauro posted:

Do you dislike wrestling.

I wish I didn't.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
RIP Viscera

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Maxwell Lord posted:

If the big North Korean expo... thing is the biggest wrestling gate in history (with the caveat that attendance was basically mandatory), what's the second biggest? I.e. the biggest "legit" attendance for a wrestling show?

1992 SummerSlam?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So I just watched a clip of Vince McMahon growling "Do you know what E stands for? ENIS! You're an Enis! You're...AN ANUS!!" at some dude in a wig and fake mustache. What the gently caress?

Back in May '09, an arena that was supposed to hold an episode of Raw was double-booked with a Denver Nuggets game. As a result Raw had to be hastily moved to Los Angeles.

The man in the wig and stache was a caricature of Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke, who had just cut a heel promo on WWE fans because of course he would.

You see, Vince was incredibly mad at Kroenke, blaming him for the whole mix-up, and had earlier in a news interview challenged him to a cage match because of course he would.

The episode's finale featured five-man tag teams wearing Nuggets and Lakers jerseys. The Lakers team won because of course they would.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Stan Kroenke's first name is Enos. He also sucks rear end.

They also promoted the 'encounter' with this image:

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Neodoomium posted:

I thought Tatanka's second run was a result of him showing up as a nostalgia act in the Rumble, getting a bigger than anticipated pop, and not looking half-dead in the ring.

Sort of how Curt Hennig got a second run.

Remember when Tatanka turned heel?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

shiksa posted:

what in the gently caress was up with jim neidhart wearing a klan robe to beat up virgil in some indie in 1995?

Wait.

What?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Venomous posted:

I mean, (a) he won the title in a great Mania match (b) he retained against the pair of them in a pretty good match (c) he would've beaten CM Punk for the ECW titles without, you know, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAR-DurmA6o

W-WHAT IS THIS???

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Procrastinator posted:

I occasionally see people calling out wrestlers for being very good at the 2.9 (in particular AJ Styles, and I can't remember any other names off the top of my head). Just saw a really great roll-up 2.9 that made me think about the opposite: are there any wrestlers that were or are notably BAD at 2.9s? Like, always too early and/or never actually doing them.

I once heard someone mention Jeff Jarrett lightly raising his shoulder at 2.9 in his TNA days

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Kinda late to the Kurt Angle talk but I believe his nadir was at the very end of the Invasion angle. WWF inexplicably turned him heel which left the top babyfaces as Rock and, of all people, loving Kane and Bikertaker.

Then they did the whole "mole in the Alliance" deal in the buildup, which was already lovely enough in that it overshadowed the part where the three biggest promotions of the 90s would duke it out.

Angle was revealed as the mole, turning him babyface and rendering the heel run kinda moot.

And then, the very night after his face turn, he turned back heel again because ????? (This kinda extended to a few others that night, including Austin turning face and Undertaker with the strangest heel turn ever).

I really feel like these 24 hours made casuals sour on him as a top guy, even if they knew he was a great worker.

Max Coveri fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 2, 2019

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Defiance Industries posted:

I don't think it made casuals sour on him as a top guy, as much as the invasion in general made casual fans tune out in droves. The casual audience largely stopped being there.

Great point, but I believe at least a portion of the audience that stayed couldn't take Angle seriously as a top guy after that. Even the writers seemed to think so, as he had a throwaway match with Kane at Wrestlemania X-8.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

What heel turn was the most poorly timed in kayfabe? They can't all be surprise briefcase cash-ins, but last night with KO/fi just seemed arbitrary, if hype (although will all understand that this is because the spirit of an angry baby randomly possesess the large Canadian body of Kevin Owens), and WWE wrestlers seem to have a tendency to turn when they're outnumbered and have nothing explicitly to gain in that moment (like the Shield breakup)

Samoa Joe joining the Main Event Mafia.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I'll believe Mil Máscaras is good when there is a Mil Máscaras 2

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Did WWE actually rehire Vince Russo around 2003? What happened there?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

forkboy84 posted:

The one thing I'd say, I wouldn't want to be watching it on the WWE Network because the music is such a big part of ECW feeling apart of the zeitgeist of the '90s: No Enter Sandman, no Here Comes The HotStepper, no Perfect Strangers.

A fan recently did edits of every ECW PPV that restores the original audio while having Network video quality. But it's :filez: so I can't say any more about it.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
ROH used to have the lol ill pretend you said powerpuff girls tv set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Remember when Brakkus fought in Brawl for All lmao