Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

yeah but that's cheating.

In the territories you were only allowed to be a star in one city if you left they arrested you.

Obviously he was a huge football star there but he was good enough that Lou Thesz seemed to like working with him. He was also pretty big in the AWA but not nearly as big as he was in SF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

I am sorry

I forgive you big dog.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, it seems like the whole "This should just be a one on one match but we're shoving Charlotte in" Becky Lynch/Ronda Rousy thing might be tied to a persistent rumor that Ronda, like Dean's, gonna leave after Wrestlemania. Any idea why? Considering all the hype it seemed like she'd be around for a given definition of 'long term'...has she fallen victim to the same issues that have killed a laundry list of star's passion for the business, like Dean's supposedly is/was? Or something else? Or is it just a rumor?

Ronda is going to be part time after WrestleMania. She wants a family and gets sick and bails on things pretty quick too. The company has basically confirmed she won't be full time when they were asked for comment and only said she was under contract another two years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

remusclaw posted:

I always loved wierd matches like that. I wanted to see Hogan fight all the workrate and or stiff guys just to see how he took their moves.

Of course as I learned from Hogan/Vader or Hogan/Taker 2000's, the answer was always going to be not well or not at all.

The Hogan/Vader matches were mostly good in ring wise for Hogan matches, the problem was more the booking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
After the WWF raided the AWA there were a lot of weird match ups between guys they didn't really care about both young and old. So you'd get battle royals with Mad Dog Vachon, the Iron Sheik and someone like Bret Hart, or a tag match with Vachon and Dynamite Kid vs The Hart Foundation. This stuff is all on house shows and I doubt they even got filmed for VHS given the period.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

- CM Punk vs. Eddie Guerrero vs. Unmasked Rey Mysterio
- Abdullah the Butcher vs. Zeus
- Surfer Sting vs. Bruiser Mastino (Kane)
- Steve Blackman vs. David Samartino
- Andre the Giant and Mighty Inoue vs. Cactus Jack and Texas Terminator Hoss
- Ultimate Warrior vs. Isaac Yankem

That's not even Warrior's weirdest generational match up. Orlando Jordan is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN3J2s-k618

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Rollins vs Sting
Snuka, Piper and Steamboat vs Jericho, then later just Steamboat.

Steamboat could still go, the other two not so much. By the time Jericho came to WCW, I think all three of them were retired? Maybe not Piper but likely the other two.

Rollins vs Sting is mostly generational but also weird that it was those two. Not sure who else though, Sting faced HHH the year before? I can't remember the timeline.

Piper main evented several PPVs during Jericho's run! Snuka wrestled semi regularly during that period and well, basically up until his death but he was treated as a returning legend when WCW and WWE would use him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I had to look it up and Piper joined WCW two months after Jericho did :psyduck:

And was wrestling regularly on Nitro right as Jericho left the company.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

I loved him at the time but his act has aged about as poorly as most of ECW did. But he was real good at calling moves.

Except for the Tiger Bombs and Roaring Elbows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

TBH the music was such a huge part for everyone in ECW. Shane Douglas without Perfect Strangers was the definition of just a guy, and how much of the New Jack allure was Natural Born Killaz? Basically all of it.

New Jack had a ton of charisma and a compelling promo style that he was much more than the music. Watch the promos he did from Harlem or the subway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CityMidnightJunky posted:

So I have a vague idea of how wrestling became fake back in the day. My question is, was the shoulders down for the 3 count ever used in legitimate competition? Or was that purely an invention for fake matches? Seems like such a strange, impractical way of finishing a real fight

Originally in pro wrestling it wasn't even a count, a fall was recorded when you were thrown down. That changed when collar and elbow style went out of favor but it was mostly worked before that point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can anybody explain to me why Wrestlemania 19 did such a buyrate? It did 560,000 (compared to 18's 840,000 and 20's 885,00), is there any particular reason for this?

They promoted Vince McMahon vs Hulk Hogan the most out of any match and Vince has never actually been a big draw as a wrestler. No one really cared about that match. Brock was also never the difference maker they wanted him to be, especially as a babyface so the SD title match wasn't going to save the show and the racist bullshit in HHH vs Booker T sure wasn't going to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

remusclaw posted:

MMA didn't just expose the business, it exposed pretty much every other fighting style but amateur wrestling, BJJ, boxing, and muay thai. A few have made some comebacks, but what they look like in actual fights resembles what they look like in movies or in single style sparring. Old wrestling just was not going to be believable in a post MMA world, no matter what the old grumps want to say. Anyway, it was exposed more than once and it never died, starting in 30s in the States. If anything, the constant kayfabing may have done more to stifle wrestling than anything else because some people look at that and feel insulted by it. I don't hear anybody champing at the bit to go on about how my favorite prime time tv show is fake, or the action movies that are on all the time.

Pro wrestling has been exposed in the US long before the 30s.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

remusclaw posted:

I thought the earlier exposures were in France, but honestly I was just going off the last thing I heard on the matter.

What is all your favorite references to wrestling in the media?

Mine is in " The Music Man" The Mayor says he hadn’t seen Iowans get so excited for something “since the night Frank Gotch and Strangler Lewis lay on the mat for three and a half hours without moving a muscle.”

There were many complaints of match rigging in the US in the 19th century and then in the early 20th century there was the Manhattan Opera House tournament which had dudes in masks and all sorts of wacky angles that the press did not look kindly on. The entire style changed in the 20s from something that resembled grappling to an obviously worked style by the early 30s.

Edit: The question reminded me that in his early career Gotch would do a spot where he'd get thrown into the orchestra pit.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 19, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Brutus Beefcake/Booty Man/Disciple/Ed Leslie

There's still a chance Tamina could main event a Starrcade too!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, who the gently caress was that fat old man covered in dried mud? He was the one that needed Hulkamania to die?

King Curtis Iaukea!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

I know 3 things about Shane Douglas:
1. He was a big deal in ECW and nowhere else, although I do remember Revolution in WCW but that apparently went nowhere.
2. He hates the Kliq
3. He hates Ric Flair

I know the story behind 2 and it seems likely enough they did bury him. But why does he hate Flair?

Also is it a heel move to get out of the ring and just walk around for a while? It seems like bad guys mostly do it and the crowd hates them for it. But it's pretty frickin' smart when you are getting your rear end kicked to create some distance between you and your opponent.

It's cowardly to run away from a fight and doubly so to take your time getting back to it.

Davros1 posted:

As a "heat" move, it was usually done after the heel took a cheap shot. The face would get riled up, make a move towards them, and they duck between the ropes so the face couldn't legally touch them. Done well, like with Zbyszko, the crowd would explode when the face finally got their hands on them.

I wouldn't say Larry did it that well. He just did it a lot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

I’ve always been a Jake the Snake mark and I caught him while channel surfing one day I n an upper tier Indy promotion during the 90s where there was a backstage action shot of Jake DDTing a person dressed as a ninja. Only it was the wrong ninja and the announcer was like “Jake just DDT’d his own ninja!” Then cut to commercial and I moved on.

I never saw the promotion again and I have no further context other then it was between his WWF stints. Does anyone have any more context on why Jake had his own ninja and why he would be DDTing some other ninja?

In 1993 WCW was basically an upper level indie but I'd guess you'd know WCW if you saw it.

Jake was in Smoky Mountain briefly but I don't remember him interacting with any ninjas.

The only other place he worked during that period with US TV was AAA and I think you'd remember if the show was in Spanish. I'm kind of curious.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mark Henry would've been the perfect territorial heel. Very limited but great at what he does well. In six month bursts he'd be great while at a guy on TV for 22 years he'd have nothing to do or be kind of bad when he's just a mid card guy. He's not good in mid card back and forth matches he's a loving big rear end dude.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Platypus Farm posted:

Gorilla was awesome simply because he clearly didn't give a gently caress a good bit of the time, especially when he was with someone bad. When he was paired with one of the two best color guys in history (body or brain), his straight man act was perfect.

It was always funny when he was with lord alfred hayes because gorilla didn't give a poo poo, and hayes had so much CTE that his sentences hardly agreed with themselves, much less with the next thing out of his mouth.

It totally owned when he didn't give a gently caress and started making jokes about children getting raped.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

gently caress.

I seems like everyone in wrestling is a loving monster.

Lance Russell and Dave Brown were both fine men!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Cameo posted:

Hogan was pretty much a top babyface to the world when he came back to the WWF in '84, still riding off the popularity boost he got from being in Rocky 3. Why he didn't do the white tights and red boots + pads from the movie? Who knows! I'd assume someone somehow had a claim to that combination or Vince was worried about a lawsuit from MGM because they could maybe make a claim that Vince would be promoting the character from Rocky and not the guy who played the character.

People forget that Rocky basically made Hogan into a massive white-hot star in America (while accidentally knocking Inoki out with a lariat made him a white-hot star in Japan and created the AXE BOMBER), mostly because Vince tries to pretend that he was the real mind behind Hulkamania and not some rear end in a top hat who happened to offer a good deal to a guy who was going to be the biggest wrestler in the world either way (although god knows Verne would have probably found a way to screw it up because he wanted all the money).

Actually, it's kinda funny; if Hogan had just kept the AXE BOMBAAAAAAAAH his whole run instead of doing The Big Leg, he'd most likely still have his hips and would probably still be working matches from time to time.

Hogan had been a white babyface in the AWA for almost a year prior to Rocky 3 coming out, giving them their biggest box office success ever. He became bigger after Rocky but he was going to get there regardless. He didn't return to the WWF for a year and a half after Rocky either so I don't think they was any reason to think about using his look from the movie. Mr. T did give him a boost to the next level for Wrestlemania though.

The Inoki thing was a planned finish, and no he probably wouldn't have kept his hips. He destroyed his body from years of steroid abuse and walking around with too much muscle mass on his body, not one bump a night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

For a brief while he was coming out to "Eye of the Tiger" from Rocky 3, so yeah, Vince was still trying to ride that train. But Vince was also trying to push the idea of "larger than life" wrestlers, so licensing "The Incredible Hulk" Hogan from Marvel* did that better than the nonsensical "Thunderlips".

*Yes, he was Hulk Hogan before that, but for a brief time he was called, by announcers, if not in print, in the WWF as "The Incredible" Hulk Hogan.

The Incredible Hulk thing and Eye of the Tiger theme date back until the AWA too. It wasn't so much licensing it as Marvel demanded it because the name blatantly infringed on their trademarks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

Is Filthy a good worker? I’ve seen maybe two of his MMA fights but in terms of pro wrestling I’ve only seen him in gifs taking a superkick from Chico and a shoot powerbomb from Shamrock

I think he kind of sucks. His strikes look really awkward and his transitions are no good. He has charisma, and he's very new to this, but he just can't hang with most of the indie guys I've seen him with. He probably would have been fine as an NXT system guy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TTBF posted:

I've seen him live and he's got a charisma to him that doesn't translate well to video. He brings a lot of personality and character energy that lets him work the crowd. His strikes do suck but his grappling and wrestling are solid.

I saw him live in MLW and while a lot of the match was overbooking I thought he looked really bad in the match. He bored me in Beyond teaming with Riddle against Gage and Tremont too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

surf rock posted:

It's crazy to me how much of the narrative in smark circles is seemingly pulled directly from a handful of promos. I always wonder about the timeline: before this promo, were people talking about Vince Sr. and his promises to the other territorial promoters, or arguing that Vince hated the word wrestling? Before CM Punk's pipebomb, were people talking about Vince's brass rings or thinking that Lauranitis was a weird sycophantic yes man? Or about how important t-shirt sales are to a wrestler getting pushed?

Are these promos capitalizing on something that all the fans are already talking about online? Or is this super inside-baseball stuff that didn't catch fire until after the promo?

My feeling, as someone who's only been watching actively again for a few years now, is that the wrestling fanbase only really latches onto things once they get some form of validation about it from WWE itself, and that there's this bizarre cycle of general fan sentiment getting turned into a worked-shoot angle that then becomes the "real story" to fans from there on out.

People had definitely talked about Vince hating the term wrestling for years and years and that Johnny Ace was a yes man.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

If you ask me for TNA's highlights here's what comes to me off the top of my head.

- AJ vs Joe vs Daniels. The Unbreakable match is the peak but there's a lot of mixed matches in there.
- Joe vs. Angle. They rushed it and didn't know what to do after but it was a good quick program and that second match was a different approach trying to give it a MMA/boxing feel.

The MMA build wasn't the 2nd match it was the 5th.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

Huh. I guess my 10 year wrestling memory sucks worse than I thought. Maybe my mind interpreted as the "second try to make it a big deal match" after they rushed the first one so quickly?

Either way that Lockdown match still stands out to me as a highlight.

They did 3 in late 06/early 07 and then brought it back in August of 07 when they had a match for all of the belts in TNA. Despite that I wouldn't really argue with the assessment that the Lockdown 08 match was the second try to make it a big deal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JayMax posted:

Help me understand PCO.

As a wrestling fan from Quebec I feel like I should have a better a idea of who he is. All I remember from watching him on TV as a child is him being a generic "foreign" jobber who'd come to the ring waving a flag and promptly lose. It always bummed me out and I kind of hated him for it. :quebec:

What's his deal? Why is he suddenly a hot act in the indies? What matches should I watch?

PCO was a guy who was always known as a pretty good wrestler who worked really hard but rarely got a chance to show it. He'd do crazier spots than you'd expect for a guy his size, or really most anyone in the 90s. He almost got the chance to really show just how crazy he is when he got a brief push in TNA as X, but that didn't last. He hadn't had any real high profile runs since then, mostly working Canadian indies until basically retiring around 2010. He started getting active again a couple years ago, feeling he had one last run in him and wanted to get signed by WWE.

He became a really hot act when he faced Walter at Joey Janela's Spring Break last year, which is one of the matches you should watch. He had a really good match with LA Park in MLW that's on youtube and shows off what he's been doing.

His deal is that he takes the kind of bumps a guy in his 20s who is trying to get noticed takes but he's 50. He also does fun skits on youtube. He is also very nice.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Flair becoming a cowardly heel who barely got out of jams and looked generally weak was one of the things that contributed to JCP going down. HHH definitely could have shown some rear end during his run but the NWA champion was normally booked much stronger than Flair was when Dusty started hot shotting poo poo.

If 80s Flair had replaced bloated 2003 HHH no one would have been complaining about that run.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Suplex Liberace posted:

Would they Indy's have been better or worse off if wcw had lived instead?

The indies probably would have been much worse off since both companies would have been signing the guys who became indie talent. Would have been much better for the talent, which is why you had guys like Bryan and Spanky under developmental deals in 2001 until they were released a few months after the WCW buyout.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Monkeycheese posted:

:lol: discussing something other people were just discussing, how gauche

People shouldn't expose their ignorance by posting anti-Goldberg opinions they should try to educate themselves and do better.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In Hulk Hogan's first autobiography he states that when he started wrestling he thought it was all about having good matches.

I'm sure that is 100% true and he suffered some weird decline along the way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Barry Windham was slowed by injuries but that wasn't the entire reason for his decline from The Best Wrestler in the World to kind of bad,

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Supposedly the Anderson vs Angle cage match with the stupid rules and troops stuff was good but I think people were just loving with me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Who actually owns and runs GameChangerWrestling?

Brett Lauderdale and Danny Demanto own it. Brett seems to do most of the booking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn't he just go on a transphobic, misogynistic rant recently?

Yeah he's a lock for the WWE HoF. It was a very weird rant where it started out like he was pro-equality and then he ranted about how trans athletes in combat sports are dangerous and will hurt people.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stealth Tiger posted:

WCW died because they stopped having luchadores take off their mask to reveal who they really are. The Ciclope thing and that time La Parka hit the diamond cutter and then ripped off his mask and it was DDP are incredible, and if WWE has done it recently then you better show it to me right this instant.

Fake edit: that time Sting wore a Sting mask in the crowd in TNA is one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed.

They had Jeff Jarrett dress up as a Villano in 2000 and it was terrible because Jeff Jarrett is the worst.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Magee always just seems so self conscious about his movements. Selling, running the ropes, etc.

It’s like he’s constantly thinking “oh no am I doing this right?” and psyching himself out.

That was the first thing I thought about him when I first watched his matches years back. He's so uncomfortable in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

One thing I didn't know about Hogan until I looked into it is that he's had way more knee surgeries than anything else. I wonder if that's a style thing or if he's just one of those guys who has a bad knee. Anyone who does any kind of sports has a bad something; with me it's the neck.

It's a steroid thing, he carried around massive amounts of bulk and wore out his knees.