Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The championship ceremony where fans wouldn't stop cheering for Daniel Bryan. Stephanie, HHH, HBK, and Mark Henry all take cracks at trying to get the crowd to calm down.
I was there that night and it was amazing. It was some 12th man poo poo.

oldpainless posted:

What’s your favorite wrestling move and why is it the tilt a whirl back Breaker?
Because it looks like it'd legit gently caress somebody up. I still wince every time I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

What's the most offensive crowd chant you've ever heard?

I'm still making my way through B&V&C's Retro Raw/Nitro reviews and they have repeatedly said the crowd chanted stuff at Pillman in his dress that you'd never hear now. One time they said the crowd was chanting "gay" but was that always it or was the crowd dropping the F-word? I recall hearing ECW crowds did that.
WCW crowds did this to Lenny and Lodi when they were the West Hollywood Blondes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"You're gonna' get your loving head kicked in" is a chant that isn't offensive, really, but I just can't imagine how it started/caught on.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

It was a soccer thing.
That just raises further questions.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SiKboy posted:

I mean, I feel like the chant is fairly self explanatory?
Once you hear one crowd do it, yeah, it's easy to spread, but I just can't fathom one person starting the chant and getting an entire stadium to join them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SiKboy posted:

How is that different from any chat though? All you need is a few people and the right atmosphere to get a section of the stand doing it. Once a section of the stand is doing it, it's not that unlikely that the rest of the crowd (or... well, half the crowd. You have to be threatening someone, after all) will pick it up if its simple, catchy and rhythmic. Its a British football chant from the 60s or 70s, so if your confusion is "why would half the fans threaten the other half", then I'm guessing you arent massively familiar with British football hooliganism? Or is it "how did a football chant end up seeing fairly common use in wrestling?" thats confusing you, in which case I cant help because I dont know.
It's none of that. It's just that it's so long.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Corrode posted:

That isn't long for a football song :psyduck:
Look. You're countering my saying "this extremely common thing is still really impressive to me" with "but it's so common!" Does that make more sense?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I liked Tamina as AJ Lee’s giant leather bodyguard. That’s about it.
Ah, yes. Her Shiesel period.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

John, my diet soda. What are you doing?!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

"Brass ring" is obviously an old cliche but I think it became a thing with WWE when someone said on a podcast that Cesaro or someone had failed to "grab the brass ring" and that's why Vince didn't like him. Something like that.
The brass ring metaphor is incredibly ironically apt considering its origins.

For those who don't know, old carnival carousels had a section where you'd reach out and grab a ring from a slot. In the chamber was one brass one. If you got it, your next ride was free.

So in addition to needing to be a large person with a long reach to get a ring at all, you had to be extremely lucky to get the brass ring.

Vince uses it like "you didn't succeed because you didn't try," which is exactly how I expect a loving billionaire who inherited his father's company to think.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

Either way that Lockdown match still stands out to me as a highlight.
I think it did either the highest or second-highest buyrate TNA ever managed. Naturally, Russo never allowed a build like that again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Aesop Poprock posted:

Do you think being able to look into vince’s mind would cause a gradual Lovecraftian madness or would it just be full on ark of the covenant face melt
Neither. He's Donald Trump. There's nothing in there but narcissism.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

People in here were super mad about the Goldberg Brock squash, so I'm really happy the forum as a whole seems to have come around because it was amazing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I actually remember most people loving it at the time, but maybe that's just because I was having such a good time I assumed everybody else was too :)
It certainly wasn't the consensus, but it was a very vocal contingent.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They tried to trademark WWE fan nation, if memory serves, and they failed. I think they were gonna' go with WWE Nation at some point before settling on WWE universe.

But Dave's said Vince absolutely loathes the word "fan."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's a stupid loving term because it sounds like you're referring not to the crowd, but to the fiction of WWE.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

One of the only wrestling dreams I've ever had involved me in a tag match against HBK and HHH, and everything was going great till I realized (even in the dream) that HBK was carrying my dumb rear end to a passable match, and then he got pissed off with me and tagged in HHH to beat my rear end :smith:
That's an awesome wrestling dream.

I had a very similar one where I was programmed against Christian at Bound for Glory 2006 and I hadn't trained a single day in my life and I was freaking out.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't Bischoff give Nash and Hall a big raise as well to stop them "going"? Or did I make that up because it sounds like something he would do and I convinced myself?
Hall and Nash say this happened. Bischoff says it didn't.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

May I see it?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

How does old ECW hold up these days? I remember thinking what a genius Heyman was for being able to book the talent he had as well as he did. We were talking in another thread how attitude era WWF doesn't really hold up well anymore, so I'm wondering if anyone has gone through and rewatched hardcore tv in the last few years.
It's very much a product of its time in that much like is happening right now, in the 90s, a bunch of people who weren't white men were like, "yo, can we be people too?" And at the same time, hardcore Christians were trying to censor a bunch of art, and — in a weird show of solidary with that second group — Tipper Gore and Hilary Clinton and a bunch of other democratic politicians, and all of this mixed unto a foul-smelling cultural miasma that was incredibly confusing and saw being homophobic and loving over the marginalized as virtues worthy of being championed instead of, y'know, just fighting the actual censorship of art and the encroachment of religious values on entertainment.

Rush Limbaugh and his ilk were mixed up in it too.

In any case, the bad news was that it set us back like thirty years in terms of discourse and laid the groundwork for the modern Nazis calling themselves the Alt Right to ascend politically and in the discourse, but the good news is that we're ironically far better equipped to have the conversation now than we were then.

ECW was all about capturing that aggrieved, irritated audience tired of being told that they should only like wholesome bullshit. There were good examples of other art serving this audience, like The Simpsons, and bad examples I won't mention.

ECW was both simultaneously. It's worth revisiting, but you might want to watch it by yourself to revisit it before, say, showing it to friends, because there's a lot of cringe-worthy stuff we've thankfully left behind as a culture mixed in with the awesome counter-culture.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

afatwhiteloaf posted:

what was the first episode of WWE television you ever watched? for me, it was the July 4th 2003 episode of smackdown where Zack Gowen defeated the Big Show.
I turned on WWF some weeknight in grade school and Papa Shango set some dude's hand on fire with his mind and I was like, "wow, that's loving stupid" and refused to watch wrestling again until Nitro was firing on all cylinders and some friends invited me over to watch it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

I caught an American Alpha/Revival match at an NXT house show, that was some good poo poo
I saw one of these at the Paramount in Seattle and everybody up and down the card was sleepwalking through their poo poo but these two teams.

We were all happy as gently caress to see Finn and Bayley and Nakamura sleepwalk, but drat did The Revival and American Alpha bring it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My first live show was Spring Stampede '99. WCW's last great show. You can even see my pale skinny rear end on the home video, if memory serves.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

shiksa posted:

i was just thinking how much i wish i could see the meeting between vince and co when they thought for sure that they were gonna be able to sign the elite and went ahead and bragged about it on raw.
This happened? I remember they thought they were gonna' sign 'em. I don't remember them mentioning it publicly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

As I recall, the Rock Bottom wasn't treated like a Burning Hammer even when the Rock was at his peak, and he would often hit it more than once in big matches. I wasn't so bothered by it being a weak move because it wasn't as protected as the Tombstone.
It's sorta' bizarre that the people's elbow was better protected than the rock bottom.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Quick question. Has the WWE Performance center had any good trainees or is it the WCW powerplant all over again?
Neither, really. NXT is basically around so HHH can have experience running a fed so when he takes over for Vince it'll be more seamless than it otherwise would be. This has been done very publicly so shareholders have confidence because the person taking over seems like they can do it.

But basically, Hunter bought the indies the same way Vince bought the territories and until recently, we all cheered him for it because it was nice having a good wrestling product based in North America that didn't make you feel disappointed all the time and could still feel like a big deal four times a year.

Now WWE proper has squandered just about every callup despite some of them being the surest thing since finding a box of money and here we are.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vince Russo is the most untrustworthy because he, like Hogan, can't tell the difference between what happened/is happening, and the story he's told himself to make himself feel better or look good.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The theme song for x factor was so embarrassing it has to have been a rib.
Uncle Kracker. Combine that with the fact that the stable was X-Pac, Albert, and Justin Credible and it's almost certainly a rib.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, that. Also the numerous occasions where Raven, high out of his mind, would pull his dick out in clubs and present it to random women on the dance floor. Jericho and I think Konnan have stories about that.
Jericho and Batista had this moment in the latest Talk is Jericho where they went all "everybody's so PC now and nobody can take a joke anymore" and I had to turn it off.

He's absolutely the kind of person to think that people having a problem with Raven taking his dick out are the real problem.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bad things were bad before centuries of people saying they're bad finally got heard and were responded to with derision a tiny bit less often.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bartok posted:

Who was the first heel you cheered for and who was the first face you booed?
First heel I cheered was Bret Hart because I figured out pretty quick that when he was in the ring with boring people, they were suddenly interesting.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fatherofmustard posted:

Is MLW a bigger promotion than Impact now? They get more views on YouTube than Impact gets on Twitch/Pursuit.
What's the better of the two Denny's near your home?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There was a solid year where I watched that Daniel Bryan Monster promo like three times a week.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vellius posted:

are there any finishers that have been protected as strongly as the 3D has been? the rainmaker kind of, sort of comes to mind, but it doesn't have the same longevity, and okada wasn't a feature of multiple promotions.
Who all's kicked out of the 3D? I know one of the MCMGs did back in TNA.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I just wish they'd give more of them tag team names.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Teddy Hart is definitely the correct answer. Matt Morgan and Carlito, even if they failed to reach the top, still peaked significantly higher up in the world than Teddy Hart did.
Matt Morgan spent like a decade being the blue chipper rookie who never broke through. It was loving stupid and bizarre.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Excludes a bunch of companies because they're not American, then counts a Canadian company.
It took me a long time to realize that my perception was based almost entirely on what had weekly television that had an active GDT here. Impact losing its game day presence is pretty much when I stopped watching, I think.

Does AAA or NJPW have a GDT presence here I'm unaware of?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Draxion posted:

I assumed LividLiquid meant GDTs like Raw and Smackdown's every week in which case no, we somehow talked ourselves out of those for the G1.
That is what I meant, but live-posting counts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why is Scott Steiner persona non grata in WWE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He's never really said why, as far as I know. All we can do is speculate.

Austin went out on his back putting over Rock and he was hurt, and I'd imagine he never came back for a one-off because of his experience being a guy whose time it was to shine but got derailed by an un-retired Hulk Hogan.