Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Becky also used her time off to continue her character work via twitter with various accounts of her attempts to get out of "doctor jail", and even when WWE had her come out and handpick Charlotte as her replacement (basically Bret Hart giving Hulk Hogan to go ahead to fight Yokozuna) she made it work by then declaring that her concussion made her accidentially hug somebody she didn't like.

Becky owns and I hope like gently caress she beats Ronda in the main event of Wrestlemania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah that Becky promo to Bryan was loving awesome. I thought it was leading to something (it wasn't) but now here we are and life is good and Becky owns.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Is there a thread for match recommendations? If not, I am looking for match recommendations to watch.

As posted above, that thread's also supposed to serve as a catchall recommendation thread (not just for 2019 matches) though obviously the MOTYs will dominate.

If you want a breakdown of a specific type of matches to recommend you can also try the Wrestling Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Somebody pulled it as a rib on Al Snow (Bob Holly I think) and Mick Foley wrote about it as the legend of the penis suplex. I believe a similar story was told on I think a Jericho podcast by Cody (again, this is from memory) about it also happening to Zack though this time by accident.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sharparoni posted:

What are some intentionally funny moments?

Years and years and years before the Michael Cole/Anonymous GM laptop stuff ran it into the ground, there was an episode of Raw during the Heel Austin era where Austin got so paranoid he refused to come to the show, but was sending regular faxes through to Paul Heyman on commentary who would grab a mic and begin reading them, but he wouldn't grasp the context of what Austin was saying till after he'd read it or forget to grab the next page or something and kept loving up his message, plus the humor of Heyman trying to deliver an Austin promo via text. I thought it was loving hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

R-Truth smoking at that London show while the crowd chanted,"THAT'S IL-LEGAL! <clap clap clapclapclap>" was also beautiful.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

He won the Best In The World Tournament To Determine The Best In The World

At Crown JewelWorld Cup in Saudi Arabia.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

Batista deserved a way bigger part in Blade Runner imo

Have you seen the little prequel they shot with him? It's really loving good. Plus he's going to be in the new Dune :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It is canon that the entire time Bam Bam was signing, he was scouting his surroundings and ready to do a forward roll in case any trouble kicked off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One of the most :aaa: moments for me as a kid was that night Bam Bam ended up the last guy on his Survivor Series team (which included Hulk Hogan!) against three huge dudes including ANDRE THE GIANT and his fighting effort to get it down to a one-on-one only to finally fall against The Giant was loving incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

From memory the best match on that card was Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho, which was genuinely great but the only match that I really remember.

It was Rock/Austin's worst match (it was still really good) but a great capper to the "story" of their parallel careers and Austin's slow decline crossing over with Rock's meteoric rise. But in-ring nothing topped HBK/Jericho.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Edit: The question reminded me that in his early career Gotch would do a spot where he'd get thrown into the orchestra pit.

No psychology, he'll never make it in this business.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always remember one night Vince was in a match and came to the ring all jacked up, and JR was ranting about what an rear end in a top hat Vince (a heel at the time) was and then out of nowhere says something like,"I don't care if he does only have 4% body fat!" or something like that.

It was clearly either a line Vince gave him to say or him kissing rear end, but the King's response was amazing. Just this laughing, disbelieving,"......what? :wtc:" because he can't believe what JR just said.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

John, my diet soda. What are you doing?!

Punk was really loving good on commentary. It wouldn't have lasted, but I'm glad we got what we did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nystral posted:

Uhh que? I was a child when Gorilla was on commentary so it may have gone over my head but I never caught anything like this watching him.

He used to make jokes about going to the Terry Garvin School of Self Defense. Terry Garvin (if I remember right) was a guy who would go around finding pretty young boys and offering them a chance to meet their heroes and be ring-boys on the show, then sexually molest them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm really, really glad Shayna made it to NXT. She's such a great natural heel and a perfect foil to the likes of Kairi Sane.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nystral posted:

How much power does a non-McMahon creative team person have on the final product though?

Triple H is probably the second most powerful person in the company from a creative perspective (maybe Kevin Dunn?), is literally a member of the family, heads up their developmental branch, has a major role in corporate, outranks Vince's own firstborn son, is well-liked by much of the roster (and beloved by the NXT recruits) and has a somewhat more modern take than Vince that has people hopeful for what things will be like under his reign because it is all but guaranteed he will run the company when Vince is gone. Triple H also has ZERO power over the final product if Vince dictates it to be so. The recent NXT call-ups are just one example of how Vince can and will completely run roughshod over anything and everything even HHH is doing at a moment's notice.

Probably the only recent example I know of where Vince didn't automatically get his way was the inclusion of Charlotte to the Becky/Ronda feud, as Vince apparently wanted it to be a singles match (whether Becky/Ronda or Charlotte/Ronda) but got talked into making it a threeway. In this case, it took literally every other person with power in the company presenting a united front and hammering him constantly to get him to begrudgingly slightly adapt his idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think Vince "retired" from being a regular on-screen character because he thought he was too old and people don't want to see old people on TV. There was a long period he wasn't on TV, and when he was the appearances were few and far between, but that appears to have gone by the wayside the last few months.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 4 made the bizarre decision to "kill" Dario but retain the actor and it basically killed my interest in the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NienNunb posted:

Triple H desperately wanted to be an old NWA heel champion that held onto the title for years, which isn’t inherently a terrible idea. What was terrible, though, was that most of the time he refused to show his rear end and make the big babyface challengers at the time look like they could’ve beaten him if only he hadn’t had cheated to win. Like say what you will about lovely Bradshaw’s year old reign, he more or less did exactly that and it was much more palatable than Triple H’s run.

The sad thing is that he (rightly) idolizes Ric Flair, but Flair's lengthy NWA Title reigns were marked by him making every babyface he fought look like a million bucks and he would be reduced to cheating his rear end off to escape with a victory. As mentioned above, he also had the benefit of moving through different territories so there was a reason for him not to have rematches after loving over the face, and in some cases he'd actually set up feuds between the territory face/heel that could continue after he was gone. Best example I can think of is that time he went to Memphis and got tricked into a match against Jerry Lawler, took a beating and left the show after announcing he was putting a bounty on Lawler that any heel that wanted to could try to cash in on, effectively setting up months of potential feuds for Lawler out of one match.

Triple H was the top of the only game in town, so he'd beat everybody and they'd just kind of... meander back down to the midcard (upper midcard if lucky) while he got to cut 15-20 minute promos about how much better than them he was.

All that said, the earlier question about whether Rock and HHH ever faced off against after 2000 can be answered with this wonderful interaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDa4A7v3-z0

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah the entire Goldberg/Brock program was golden and it still blows me away that they basically managed to do EVERYTHING right and every single person involved with maybe the exception of Kevin Owens came out ahead in the end. Especially considering how badly they bungled Goldberg's first run.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CityMidnightJunky posted:

How long was Lesnar Show in 2002/3 (can't quite remember the year) when Show won the title? That match was incredible and the only time in the last 20 years where they've booked Big Show they way they should.

The only complaint I have is that the story was that Heyman turned on Lesnar because he didn't believe Lesnar could lift/f5/beat the Big Show. And then turned on Lesnar after he had lifted/f5d/beat the big show

Oh yeah, that match was superb and when they repeated it like a decade (?) later I got super excited because they did it so well the first time, but it wasn't as good.

Heyman did such an amazing job of convincing me that Brock couldn't beat Big Show even though I'd seen Show get his rear end kicked by everybody for years, so watching Brock just toss Show around like nothing had me in a mixture of :aaa: and :neckbeard: and then the HEAT for the ending was the icing on the cake.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was that the one where KUSHIDA just loving launches himself out of the ring before Hiromu has even arrived?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shine posted:

Man, Goldberg's promo leading to that match, talking about having one last spear, one last jackhammer, made me want him to win so bad. And then he just Goldberg'd the poo poo out of Brock in 90 seconds. gently caress yeah, Goldberg owns.

Then when they met in the Royal Rumble, Goldberg just pitched him out like a sack of poo poo too. loving awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

People in here were super mad about the Goldberg Brock squash, so I'm really happy the forum as a whole seems to have come around because it was amazing.

I actually remember most people loving it at the time, but maybe that's just because I was having such a good time I assumed everybody else was too :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

didnt it get more MOTYC votes than almost any other match that year

Haha I just took a look back at the old thread and it got something like 21 MOTY nominations and 3 WMOTY nominations from posters who were completely baffled that anybody could like it :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

karmicknight posted:

The Nexus Riot was one of the most dynamic and cool debuts that the WWE could ever do, I mean they proceeded to monumentally gently caress it up, but the Nexus Riot itself was really really cool and well done.

It really did feel like something special, even with everything that came after I'll always have fond memories of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We were talking about stuff that felt spontaneous and wild and not micro-managed to poo poo, and the Becky/Charlotte/Ronda segment that aired on tonight's Raw ahead of Wrestlemania this week felt like exactly that kind of amazing mayhem. It absolutely ruled.

d8uv posted:

What are some good Kurt Angle matches?

In WWE in the early 2000s he basically had great matches with everybody. Check out basically anything he did with Benoit, his matches with HHH were great but generally were let down by the endings. He had a hell of a feud with Undertaker, incredible matches with Austin and The Rock. His Wrestlemania match with Brock was a letdown but every other match with Brock was generally really drat good. His "comeback" match against Eddie Guerrero was a blast.

In TNA, the first couple (maybe three) matches he had against Samoa Joe were really drat good.

Edit: Oh also I shouldn't forget he generally had really exciting matches with Rey Mysterio, but you could say that about ANYBODY having a match against Rey Mysterio.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 2, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benne posted:

The Rumble match with Benoit is arguably Kurt's best ever match in WWE

Until Tanahashi/Okada at WrestleKingdom 10 it was my personal favorite ever wrestling match :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I think it was Wrestlemania 16 (the infamous "McMahon in every corner!" main event) that had the Angle vs Jericho vs Benoit match, where Angle went in as the "Eurocontinental Champion" and each fall was for a specific belt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That list is both surprising and not surprising. It's easy to forget because he made it look so effortless, but the speed with which Kurt Angle became a complete performer at a main event level, and the consistency of quality he brought to EVERY opponent really is something spectacular.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Angle starting a statement with,"Mr. Undertaker... if that is your real name..." is almost as funny to me as the time he was shown backstage finding Taker's bike and getting a look on his face like a kid in a candy store, getting onto it and pretending to ride it, then the sudden crash-zoom on his face when Undertaker walked in :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The recent talk about Kurt Angle suddenly reminded me of something somewhat depressing I remember reading years and years ago. Kurt was so goddamn good that even when Bret Hart was at his absolute lowest point in terms of his relationship with/hatred of WWE, he would have literal dreams about getting to wrestle with Kurt because he recognized how good he was and desperately wanted to work a match/feud with him.

It makes me sad that this was a match that could never happen, both due to the opposing promotions thing but also Bret's career came to a permanent end at essentially the same time Angle's was really taking off. It's a dream match for me too, those two in their primes going at it would have been incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phenix Rising posted:

HBK was also a good special guest ref in the Bret/Taker match from... some show in 1997, I think. Maybe SummerSlam: Hart & Soul?

Either way, I don't remember the whole match but remember the end where Bret pisses Michaels off to the point of Michaels trying to hit him with a chair, but Bret ducks so he clocks Undertaker instead. Taker is out cold and Bret pins him and Michaels frustratingly counts the three before bolting. Just being so pissed off and not being able to do anything about it and knowing it was his own fault was such a nice touch.

That was legit one of my favorite moments when I had just gotten back into wrestling after a few years not watching. Just the way HBK is glaring at Hart the entire time he makes the count, knowing he hosed up and can't do poo poo about it, is so loving good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've rewatched Misawa/Kawada matches a bunch and knowing the outcome doesn't change the fact they're some of the best matches in the history of the world.

Similarly, I've rewatched Okada/Omega (and Okada/Tanahashi) matches where I knew the outcome and not only did I still love them, I actually still got carried away enough that I actually bought false finishes by the guy I already knew was going to lose :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The first is the 3rd man in the nWo.

We all know that Bischoff has mentioned the other possibilities for the 3rd man, as Hogan wasn't 100% sold on doing it. Could they have told a compelling, long term story with Sting turning on WCW? Would it have worked out better long term for WCW, not being stuck in the story as long, possibly?

If you discount Claytor's (very!) likely probability that Hogan would have turned it into yet another heel stable for him to effortlessly destroy, then I think Sting could have been very interesting as the Third Man. They'd been building up the Sting/Luger storyline for awhile where Luger was pretending to be a face for Sting's benefit, and shock twist heel turns weren't as played out then as they quickly became. I could see Sting being the one to turn heel after all that being a really interesting direction to go down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kenta Kobashi vs Kensuke Sasaki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAIWOBVL2AE

Warning, no hoss-off you watch after this will ever compare.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've only ever heard it on Bryan & Vinny so I just assumed it was something they came up with themselves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was gonna choose Hogan because he'd always triumph over the big bad scary heel. But then I remembered that he'd do that by getting revenge for some poor sap "friend" who got obliterated first, and that would probably be me :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Procrastinator posted:

I want to ask the opposite question. What, in your opinion, should never be removed from pro wrestling, if you want to continue to enjoy it?

They must never remove....... THE HOT TAG! :woop: