Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

Did Negro Casas ever wrestle in wwf? If not, it's him

It depends if you count SuperAstros. I got to see Casas vs (I think) Scorpio Jr before a Raw back in the day. It was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I don't think they had any concrete plans for him to be champion during his second run, either. I think the plan after the LT match was for him to do a face turn and be a top guy, but not the champion. And then team up with LT in a high profile tag match at the next Wrestlemania. He blames the Kliq for derailing those plans.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, but CMLL's fans are so unused to young guys getting top spots that the casuals started out booing Dragon Lee at that show. A good chunk of CMLL's audience has been trained to believe that a 21 year old hasn't "earned" the right to be a star.

Anyway, AAA is way more chaotic and hosed up behind the scenes. I get exhausted just thinking about typing up a post about all their bullshit.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Stevie Richards giving JBL that chairshot receipt for Meanie is the best.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

SLUM KING posted:

I want to buy a custom wrestling mask. Anyone have any recommended sites for that sort of thing?

If you're looking for a custom pro-grade mask (high quality materials, lining/reinforcement), contact these guys: https://www.facebook.com/luchausa/

They use multiple mask makers, and they'll be able to connect you with whichever one is best for your needs.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Every single Survivor Series and War Games team Hulk has ever been a part of has been called the Hulkamaniacs, regardless of what other main eventers were members.

EDIT: Here's a question...who are some of the worst fathers in wrestling? Obviously there's the automatic Christ Benoit answer, and some of us know about Buck Zumhofe. And then there are #1 Dad winners like Fritz von Erich and Stu Hart. Anyone else?

Today on Observer Radio, Dave talked about Bob Sweetan since he died a couple of weeks ago. He says his name and immediately says, "what a miserable human being."

Bob was a piece of poo poo to everybody his whole life, and was arrested, convicted and later deported for molesting his daughter when she was 7. https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/SexOffender/PublicSite/Application/Search/Individual.aspx?IND_IDN=6274430

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Thauros posted:

I could've sworn I heard him discuss it in the Q&A segment at the end of a WOR a few years ago but I may be mistaken.

He's definitely talked about it within the last year, but I don't think he said anything about Hogan being in line for a title run in Japan. I might be wrong.

I think I remember Dave saying that he talked to Vince, and Hogan had convinced him that his words were being misconstrued and taken out of context and Dave told Vince that the interview was on tape, and he had it.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

WWE doesn't deserve Hechicero

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Does anyone have pics of LA Parka maskless? I was just listening to when Konnan was on Jerichos podcast and they make him sound like the loving elephant man

According to Chuckie T and Excalibur, you'd call him the elephant man if you saw him walking around the locker room naked.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Stealth Tiger posted:

Um Shawn Michaels trained Bryan Danielson, which might be pertinent to this conversation. The only unique thing about that situation was that 99 percent of big name trainers gently caress off to do pills and never show up to class and let someone else do all the actual training while they take the profit.

Rudy Boy Gonzalez actually trained Danielson. Shawn Michaels hosed off to do pills and never show up to class.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Justin Godscock posted:

But the problem is his wife, basically in charge at this point unless Vince sticks his nose in,

I can't believe Stephanie is dominating poor HHH and Vince like that! Stone Cold needs to come back and stunner that bitch!

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Might not be the place to ask, but where is the best place to get quality lucha masks within the UK? Preferably with a large selection of types and colours?

The best quality masks still come from Mexico and Japan and all the mask collectors I know from the US and UK order everything online. Are you looking for pro grade or semi pro? You can get decent quality masks from http://www.mtzwear.com/eng/index.php, http://www.highspots.com/c/Wrestling-Masks.html, https://mrmaskman.com, or http://stores.ebay.com/rafael0666/. Semi pro masks cost about $25- $30, and pro grade start at around $100. Basically pro grade masks use better quality materials, are reinforced, and usually have a lining.

If you want the best quality pro grade masks from the same mask makers that luchadores use, it gets more complicated and a little (to a whole lot) more expensive.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

MTZWear took my money for a mask then never delivered it so be weary about them

Good to know. Unfortunately for me I'm a full on mask nerd now, so I just get pro grade and ring worn masks from a network of collectors, luchadores, mask makers, and Japanese stores.

The best guarantee for getting a good mask is to buy one right off a luchador's head.

Big Bidness fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 5, 2017

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Didn't Lex Luger have a rep for being lovely in the ring for the first 5 years or so of his career? And then he had a really great run in '90 and '91.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Anyways let's move onto a new topic. What is the most insane/dumb dive to the outside someone does regularly?

Barbaro Cavernario's splash from the post to the floor seems like a great way to shorten a career.

Takahashi's diving senton to the outside is always terrifying.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Mob posted:

I definitely want a Last Podcast on the Left episode on her, it would probably be a 3-parter

My Favorite Murder just did a segment on her. But I'm sure the extent of the research was just browsing her Murderpedia entry.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Impact is better than Raw and Smackdown. I watch CMLL, NXT, MLW and 205 Live on a weekly basis and it’s usually in the mix for best show of the week. CMLL is the king since LA Park came back.

Anyway, the lucha guys are always fun, and guys like Brian Cage, Eddie Edwards, and Eddie Kingston have been given storylines and they’re making the most of it. If I gave a poo poo about Sami Calihan and Eli Drake, I’d enjoy it even more.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I'm halfway through it, and so far I'd say it's good but kind of dry. Considering the giant personalities involved, it's a bit of a disappointment in that regard.

Still, I'll take a little dryness over the weird tonal shifts and random purple prose of that new NITRO book.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I though the proper term was "British Wrestler"

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I went to Cleveland All Pro show in like 2005 that depressed me enough to quit watching wrestling for almost a year. There were some little kids, maybe 8 or 9 years old screaming "gently caress you human being" at the heels while their parents looked on and laughed. One of the kids had a sign that said "faggit"

I had dragged one of my friends to show who barely watched wrestling and he just looked at me and said, "These are your people, huh?"

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Takuan posted:

Is there a website or anything with in-depth explanations of popular angles and storylines from the territory days? I would like to learn more about the types of angles from those days, and how they were built up and executed.

Listen to Between the Sheets.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

The same thing happened to Blue Meanie. Right after he signed with WWE an airline upgraded his seat to first class for free. A bunch of people including JBL got pissed and he was told he should have given his seat to someone like the Undertaker.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

My first show was the Clash of Champions 5 which was a terrible, terrible show. But at least I get to say I saw Tenryu live. Even though it was a bad match and I had no idea who he was at the time.

I went to some ok WWF house shows after that, but the next time the NWA/WCW came anywhere near me, I went with my friend and his dad and we drove more than 90 minutes and ended up with a Flair vs. El Gigante main event. I stopped going to non-WWF events after that until the Nitro and Thunder era.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Nystral posted:

This was years ago but there were ads online for a “behind the scenes, raw uncensored look at the lives of professional wrestlers” that was filmed by one of the wrestlers using a video camera so maybe late 90s? But basically it was a no-name WWF guy who was filming constantly while riding with other wrestlers and stuff??

Is this a fever dream or did it ever come out?

It was video cam footage Maxx Payne/Man Mountain Rock shot when he was with the WWF. He would get sued into oblivion of he ever put it out.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Draxion posted:

First full show I went to was probably AIW Death Rowe.

Matt Justice vs Shane Mercer
The Production (Frankie Flynn and Magnum CK) vs Chase Oliver & Tre Lamar
The Party Never Ends (Big Twan Tucker and Parker Pierce) vs Weird World (Alex Worldwide Kellar and Weirdbody Evan Adams)
Malcolm Monroe III vs Jonathan Wolf
No Consequences (AJ Gray, Garrison King, and Joshua Bishop) vs The Production (Colby Redd, Derek Director, and Eddy Only)
Dominic Garrini vs Juice Robinson
Dedication Personified (Brian Carson and Dr. Daniel C. Rockingham) vs The Philly Marino Experience (Philly Collins and Marino Tenaglia) vs The Young Studs (Bobby Beverly and Eric Ryan) vs To Infinity and Beyond (Cheech and Colin Delaney)
Keith Lee vs Ray Rowe

I'd just started watching wrestling with NJPW six months prior and heard that Ray Rowe was having his final indie match in Cleveland, like three blocks from my house. Every single one of these matches except Monroe vs Wolf was awesome though (I can't remember either of them ever being back in AIW either), so I don't think I could have picked a better first show.

That show was super fun. That Monroe vs Wolf match was dumb as hell. I love dumb indie spotfests, but those kids were doing Canadian Destroyers and tombstones like they were arm drags. I don't think either of them sold a single move the whole match. Jonathan Wolf barely changed facial expressions, it was kinda creepy.

I miss Magnum CK.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

bartok posted:

Is there a reason why WWE doesn't treat the KSA events like house shows and just not air them on their network or promote them on air?
It would still be a super lovely place to hold an untelevised house show but it wouldn't seem quite as lovely if they were hush hush about it like when a Nicki Minaj or a Jennifer Lopez are hired to perform at the birthday party of some horrific dictator.

They're not being paid hundreds of millions of dollars to put on wrestling shows. The money is for them to show propaganda in the US for Mohammad bin Salman and Vision 2030.

And just to add to that, WWE probably wouldn't be facing as much criticism and anger if they were just holding wrestling shows there. People wouldn't be happy, but it would be a very different situation from accepting money from the government to be part of their propaganda that is being used to cover up literal genocide.

Big Bidness fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 15, 2019

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

TheCool69 posted:

The talk about Japanese traditions and Young Lions and being humble brought this question to mind. In the 80/90s why were foreign guys like Vader, Hansen, Dynamite, Norton, Andre etc so popular? Was it the "foreign heel/monster" factor or was the crowd bored by their own grapplers? I mean reading stories about their experiences it was like they were gods. They could stiff/nearly kill their opponents, got paid very good, got rats brought to the hotel room every night.

Sounded like paradise.

The foreign heel was always big in Japan. You can imagine why a Japanese (or secretly Korean) hero feuding with and overcoming an American villain in post-war Japan would capture the fans' imaginations.

Also most people think about WWF vs WCW as the big wrestling war, but Japanese companies were constantly at war with each other in the 70s- 90s. Just think about the fact that Giant Baba and Antonio Inoki were students of Rikidozan at the same time, worked as a tag team, became the top two stars in Japan, and both eventually went off to form rival promotions. The gaijin were a big part of the "war". If you could steal Hansen or Brody from the other guy, it was a big shot fired.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

its really quiet but if it helps you is the instrumental theme they used in recaps or something like that. its a piece of electronic music

I can barely hear it, but isn’t it just the Midnights’ entrance theme? If it is it’s The Chase by Giorgio Morodor. I’ll try to listen with headphones later.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Takuan posted:

Holy poo poo, that's also the opening theme to Coast to Coast AM!

it is, and it’s from the soundtrack he did for a movie called... Midnight Express.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

is there video of anyone falling doing the Old School? i feel like I've somehow never seen that

I've only seen it done on purpose. Kikutaro does a spot where he crotches himself on the top rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

LAX was originally a whole stable led by Konnan that eventually sort of pared down to a tag team of Homicide and Hernandez with Konnan and others as managers/valets.

Konnan brought back LAX a couple of years ago with Homicide but no Hernandez (or any of the other people we've all forgotten about) from the original 2000s version. They brought in Santana and Ortiz (who had been wrestling in other promotions as EYFBO) as the new tag team within the stable LAX and eventually Homicide and everyone else kind of fell away so again, LAX effectively turned into a tag team.

They also did a storyline that was just goofy enough to kind of work last summer where Eddie Kingston came in and put a hit out on Konnan and they had sitdowns with gang leaders and attempted drive-bys and etc. in a feud where Kingston brought back Homicide and Hernandez as THE OGZ to try to kill Konnan/Santana/Ortiz to reclaim the LAX name, but they lost and the New Gz got to keep the name, until they left for AEW.

As insane as all that was, everyone really made it work. And Eddie Kingston did such a good job selling it I'm really surprised Impact didn't keep him on. He's had a pretty great in ring run the last few years, too.