Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Jagtpanther posted:

Did anything come of WWE's alleged interest in bringing back Sycho Sid for one more run?

Another broken piece of Sid's body (this time, it was his heart).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah except it isn't the job of the Scranton, PA Office Manager to dictate terms of when and under what conditions HE will allow his financial records to be gone over by head office. And since we're comparing Steiner/HHH, Triple H would be showing up to work in a pretty drat nice looking cadillac wearing an Italian leather coat and would be dropping $50 bills as he walked down the corrider. Steiner would be showing up to work in the world's only ferrargini, with 30 inch gold plated rims, the car painted bright pink with the words,"PIMP DADDY!" in day-glo lime on the hood. His coat would be made from the feathers of Dodos and he would toss $100 bills about him and smile wide to show off his diamond-plated grill as he screamed,"FINANCIAL MALFEASANCE IS THE BOMB, YO!"

Look you are just going to have to accept that Triple H is the devil and some people will love any time he is even partially made to look bad and if you are not down with that I have two words for you

shut up

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Anybody been to JR's BBQ place in Norman? I made the road trip from St. Louis to Dallas for Christmas break, and I'm about to go back in a few days and I always pass by it. Problem is, when I leave from STL I get there too late, when I leave from Dallas I get there too early. I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to adjust my driving schedule.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

edit: double post

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

What's BJ Whitmer doing?

Probably wishing getting stuck with barbed wire and staples got him more popular/money than it did.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

That's the thing. The call is super inconsistent. The announcers call El Generico's corner boot a yakuza kick, and one of the Briscoe's kicks is called a yakuza, so I inferred that it was like a running boot. But now Taker does a running boot that looks different. In games a yakuza kick looks like a combination big boot and super kick, but it looks different in real life.
I'm putting way too much thought into this.

Just call Generico's the helluva kick like they do in PWG (pronounced hell-OOO-va, which prevented me from getting the joke for like a year and a half).

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

When did tag team wrestling start?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

PsiKoTicK posted:

I am bored a lot, and need something to watch, I'm caught up on Bones, House, all 3 CSIs, both NCIS's, Criminal Minds, Psych, White Collar, In Plain Site, Burn Notice... I watch Raw (usually), miss ECW due to pool league on Tuesday nights, and miss Smackdown cuz I forget it's on, even though I have MyNetworkTV in HD... I catch what happens through the threads here really, and I think the CM Punk story right now is awesome...

If you can think of some good storyline based wrestling, or something else (that isn't wrestling), I'm interested - or give me a reason to watch ROH that isn't "the physical wrestling is good."

To nerd out for a minute: in the first place, all good wrestling is "storyline-based" wrestling, because two talented wrestlers in the ring with one another are essentially telling a story. People that say they like ROH because "the physical wrestling is good" probably mean that they like good storytelling delivered in the ring on a regular basis, which the WWE doesn't (and really doesn't have to) deliver on the same up-and-down-a-card level. Unless, of course, by "physical wrestling" the person is all "RAHH MOVES MOVES MOVES RAAAH," in which case, why are you listening to anything Teddy Hart says?

So what you are looking for is feud-based wrestling. Which ROH has, though not as extensively (or elaborately) as the bigger promotions. For one source of these shows, you can go to MRP's site: http://www.ultimatepokerbankroll.com/uncategorized/roh-feud-guide

That has a fairly decent list of some of the older feuds, though at the moment it leaves out the one I would recommend: RoH vs. CZW (since you seem to like invasion-type stuff). It is basically a storyline that pits the "Wrestler's Wrestlers" of Ring of Honor against the "Garbage Wrestlers" of CZW. So there is a lot of crazy brawling and so forth.

It progressed over about 10 or so shows, though only half of those are really that great. You can look at the cards and see if there's anything you would like. But it starts with Hell Freezes Over, and ends at DBD IV with the CAGE OF DEATH. The best ones in between (for this feud) are probably 4th Anniversary Show, the 100th Show, and Ring of Homicide (though my memory is sort of hazy, I could be wrong). Hell Freezes Over is probably skippable, unless you really, really want to see the whole thing begin (it starts at the end of the show, after a very technical World Title match that a lot of people didn't care much for).

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

anakha posted:

Decent to good inside the ring. Awkward with promos, to put it mildly. Seemed to have a genetic predisposition to internal bleeding. Had a Botchamania moment with his kayfabe sister. Seemed more comfortable as a heel than as a face.

This isn't entirely on-topic, but Ken Shamrock had some awesome loving entrance music.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Sionistic posted:

There was a wrestler who talked about how he would blade midway through that move and toss the blade before he landed, and you could never tell. I wanna say it was HBK but Im not sure.

I don't know if he said or not, but HBK does a beautiful example of that during the HIAC with Undertaker.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Here's a wrestling question:

Is it weird that when I first really got into wrestling it was when Chris Jericho and Rey Mysterio were feuding for the WCW Cruiserweight title, and now when I see them wrestle on Smackdown I view them as completely different entities? They still put on great matches when they wrestle (in fact I bought a PPV where Jericho took Mysterio's mask last year in a really good match), there's just some element not there that I can't quite define.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 17, 2010

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

We just go back to wrestlers who execute a move better than anyone else use that move as their finisher.

Right now, we're unquestionably in the "Fireman's Carry" era of WWE finishers.

Cena with the Attitude Adjustment
Punk with Go 2 Sleep
Barrett with his...whip-slam thingy.

Who else?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I realize this is kind of late on the Shamrock discussion, but does anyone else remember when Vince was trying to recruit him for the Corporation, and he said, "Now Ken, you may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer...but you are the MOST DANGEROUS ONE."

Like what the hell does that even mean? I remember my 11 or 12 year-old mind thinking that maybe the knife had a disease on it, so then maybe Shamrock was contagious or something.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He's dull

No, I got that. But how is a dull knife dangerous?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

If you get stabbed hope that you get stabbed with a sharp knife because the cut us cleaner. A dull knife requires more force and leaves more damage.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It takes more force to use the knife, so you're going to accidentally cut yourself more often because of that. Also the wound will suck because the knife edge is jagged.

Well that all makes perfect sense. I guess I was getting hung up on the "drawer" aspect. Like, the most dangerous knife in the drawer, to me, is the sharpest one, because that's the one I'm most likely to accidentally cut my hand on when I reach in there for something else.

I've clearly over-thought this whole issue.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 17, 2010

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Because it is dull, you twit. I will hurt more.

So then by this logic, Ken Shamrock was actually the most dangerous spatula? It seems like it would hurt a lot to get stabbed to death by a spatula.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Alan Rickman in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves played the Sheriff of Nottingham. He sees Kevin Coster's American-accented Englishman, Robin of Lockley, escaping the castle grounds. He yells, "I'm going to cut your heart out with a spoon!"

Later on, his cousin (played by the bad guy from The Crow) asks him, "Why a spoon, cousin? Why not... an axe or a-"

"Because it's dull, you twit. It will hurt more.

There. Now that I've explained the joke, I'm going to go kill myself.

So what you're saying is that in that movie Alan Rickman should have had the presence of mind to say spatula instead of spoon. I get it now.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

When wrestlers get in each others' faces in the ring, bumping chests and so forth, are they actually trash-talking (well, not actually, but "pretending to trash-talk" seemed weird), or are they planning the next things they're going to do in the match?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

My problem with Cena is and always has been his character. He seems to be a company guy, and does what he's told, and does the best he can within those parameters. Those parameters are, like any wrestler, his character and what the writing makes it out to be--and for him it's a guy who can take a licking and keep on ticking. That's it. That's his entire character. If he ceases to keep on ticking, the beating has to be astronomical.

What helps with this is that he's as loving gigantic and ripped as he is, but still, it's not the kind of character I like to see. I'd like to see him have one solid weakness, like Samoa Joe in his first ROH title run was vulnerable to flash pins, or Stone Cold wasn't the best technical wrestler in the world (I'm aware that before his neck injury he was rather adept at technical wrestling, I'm just searching for an easy example). Cena's character is basically just a SvR CAW with the stats all turned up to 9. His Endurance stat was maybe around a 7 until the Elimination Chamber in 2006, then he won and he got a special achievement of "Limitless Endurance." For a while Submissions were only up to like 3, then he got the STFU in 2006 and it went up to 9.5.

Anyway my point is that the problem, basically, is with the writing, not with the dude. Doing what he's been told to do has allotted him fourteen cars and a giant house, he's not going to stop all of a sudden.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Blinkman987 posted:

What is the story behind the David Flair Titantron and subsequent parodies?

His original titantron was just like 8 looped seconds and was very bad.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Probably this is as good a thread as any to post this. So I've taken up woodcarving recently and I'd like to ask for some ideas on wrestling-related things to carve. Now, I'm not nearly good enough right now to do anything super complicated like figures in motion (or hell, really not even human-shaped things), but stuff like logos or illegal objects and whatnot seems like fun to do. For example, here's the old WWF logo that I'm working on:

Not very good at the moment but it's like my third carving and I'm still working on it. Now, I'm okay in the creative department, but you WH2k fellows are always having awesome ideas, so I thought I'd ask for a hand in the concept area. If it turns out well, I'll put a picture up, and if you really want it then I'll just send it to you so long as I get some money for postage.

Cool wrestling-related woodcarving ideas: Go!

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 2, 2011

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Horse Pepsi posted:

Life size Great Khali with realistic movement.

This one was really hard but I think I nailed it.

I think maybe I overdid it with the muscle tone though.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Edit: This is more appropriate for the pictures thread.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 2, 2011

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

What percentage of the WWE's income comes from house shows?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Quarex posted:

I am seriously not trying to troll by saying this, but, uh, what? Stone Cold is/was awesome, do not get me wrong, but the Rock is probably the most charismatic professional wrestler ever. His matches were also generally decent at worst.

And Stone Cold's weren't? I'm not sure how that refutes the idea that Stone Cold was better overall. No one is saying Rock was bad at what he does.

quote:

But, I mean, how can we really discuss this?

This is a good question. If only we had some kind of elimination tournament, with really specific criteria like drawing power, wrestling ability, tenure, historical significance, and whether or not that wrestler ever murdered children.

*cough*

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Lamuella posted:

Is there a reason managers don't seem to be used as much in modern wrestling?

In the WWE, the lack of them is a result of too much focus on making people stars by themselves, and this weirdly ingrained belief that the only way that can happen is via making guys into World Title contenders/holders on their own.

It's pretty much the same reason that there's no more tag teams, midcard importance, or outlandish gimmicks. If you want some management, ROH does it fairly well, and so does Chikara.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Minidust posted:

No Way Out (Of Texas) 1998 main event: Steve Austin, Owen Hart (!), Mick Foley, and Terry Funk vs. Triple H, The New Age Outlaws, and Savio Vega

Savio was actually a mystery partner reveal, replacing an injured Shawn Michaels :geno:

I was there for that match. That was bullshit, but it also kind of made sense because Austin had been messing with Vega for forever.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

KildarX posted:

Is there any particular reason behind Kendrick being let go? I seem to remember he being upper-mid card in Smackdown, then according to Wiki, he basicially got jobbed the hell out of the company.

Pot.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Timby posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. As soon as they autopsied his brain, just about everyone has said, "Holy poo poo, he was absolutely out of his gourd and it was a matter of when, not if, he snapped." I haven't seen anyone say, "Boy, you know, I just can't figure out what made Benoit do that."

A lot of people on this board have demonized Benoit for what he did, and refuse to separate the man and worker from what he did during his break from sanity, which I think is probably not the most even-minded reaction.

A lot of the time, people say, "He snapped!" and their wording and argument makes it seem like they are relating Benoit's psychotic break with a guy at a bar with poor anger management who suddenly punches someone in the face for saying something crass (not saying you are doing this, at all. But that is what I see happen on this place a lot). Very little apparent effort is put into thinking about a very well-respected, overall nice guy over the course of several months getting to a state where he thinks killing his wife and child and himself is the absolutely necessary thing to do. It shows a lack of understanding of sanity, and our very tenuous grasp on it a lot of the time.

Case in point--the best Wrestler survivor contest thing we had a few months back.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

See, I do understand that this wasn't just a binary switch, it was a massive shitstorm of factors, some of which were in Benoit's control (the drugs, the concussions), some of which weren't (any predisposition to psychological problems, Eddie and co's passing, general stress) that came to a head. And I can even feel some level of sympathy for the man as a result. But, rational or not, it's nearly impossible for me to consider watching a match with him in it, even if it used to be one of my favourites, because my mind makes the connection between seeing the man in the ring and what his ultimate end was. If you can, I'm happy for you, that's a ton of great wrestling you can still enjoy (although even if I could make the distinction, I don't know how I'd feel about watching him do those headbutt spots or take chair shots). The resistance to Benoit as a performer after his death and crime isn't a logical thing, it's a visceral one.

This is a totally understandable reaction. For whatever reason, I have a similar problem watching Misawa matches now (in addition to any super-stiff puro). Benoit doesn't bother me as much, maybe because he didn't actually die in the ring doing what he did.

But there's a far cry from saying, "He killed his family while insane, and that makes me dislike watching his matches because it's difficult for me to make the separation," and "He killed his family while insane, and everything he's done should be hated." I see the latter more often than not.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

See, I understand people who want to say that Benoit wasn't in his right mind and obviously he wasn't. Where I disagree with these people is when they seem to want to make it like a switch just flipped and he became a new man one day. By all accounts that's not what happened. Benoit just gradually went deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. He was clearly out of his mind when he killed his family but he was probably there for months or years before that. Maybe one final thing snapped that weekend that led to those actions but for the most part that was the man Benoit had become thanks to the life he had lived. Its tragic and it should teach us lessons but its not much of an excuse to me.

If utterly losing your grip on sanity is not an excuse for deplorable action, then nothing ever could or will be. One way or the other, I think it's important that you know that's the argument you're pushing forward with your last few sentences.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Captain Charisma posted:

The Briscoes gimmick in 2007 was that they were "the masters of the 2/3 falls match." They would win 2/3 falls matches 2 falls in a row a ton, and it got a big reaction when they finally dropped the second fall. (now some allege that this was because they didn't want to lose clean but it was a good story and if true it was a good example of Gabe turning lemons into lemonade)

It was also neat because this gimmick came about after they FINALLY regained the Tag Belts, then lost them on their first defense. So the night after the loss, the Bricoes have this crazy match against each other and absolutely destroy one another, going to a no-contest. Then they get the belts back (in a match where Mark Briscoe nearly kills himself), and dominate for the rest of the year.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Serious question how would you book a tag match differently?

This has been answered to some degree already, but my problem with the WWE tag style is that there is no high degree of competition. The faces dominate, the heels cheat to get an advantage, there's a hot tag and then there's a win. In this last step, occasionally there's a quick back-and-forth.

What I like seeing in tag matches is one team dominates, the other team dominates after gaining the advantage somehow (usually underhanded means), the first team fights back, the other team has to regain the advantage (these last two steps can go on for quite a while), then quick back-and-forth-and-back until the finish.

You can't do this in every match, obviously. Certainly not on free TV. But you can at least do it in the main event. But the WWE never does that. Their style of tag matches places chicanery as important an ability as athleticism or talent, which makes those athletic/talented guys look like fools and/or poo poo.

but whatever that's not the wwe style so it must not be something that works or makes money

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

El Duke posted:

Don't tell that to Paul Heyman circa 2002.

Yeah I was thinking of the Edge/Rey vs. Angle/Benoit match to decide the Smackdown titles as pretty much the pinnacle of this in the WWE.

When I said you can't do it in every match, I just meant that...well, variety is important. The importance of variety is one reason why the WWE product is getting dragged through the mud lately. I love that kind of match and can watch it all day, but I understand that it's not for everybody. Unfortunately, the "Three-Ring Circus" mentality that the WWF had no longer really exists. Unless those three rings are, "Mediocre matches," "hosed Sketches," and "Scripted Promos."

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Dickeye posted:

I've seen this referenced a few times now, what is it?

A time when six of the WWE's best wrestlers were on the same show and had a ton of emphasis put on them. Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Edge, Chavo Guerrero, Eddie Guerrero, and Rey Mysterio are they, I'm fairly certain. I wasn't watching at the time so I can't be certain, but they put on some tremendous tag matches.

Basically, Paul Heyman was booking, and the general creative direction was, "These guys over here are saying they're better than you. What are you gonna do about that?"

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

El Duke posted:

He's a devout Christian, pretty conservative and thinks Fozzy is a good band. I'm leaning towards dumb.

1. Everybody needs a purpose. I'd rather him be a Christian than a mess.
2. Being a conservative wrestler is like being a Texan who loves football.
3. As already stated, the dude's not going to dislike his own stuff.

He's sounded fairly intelligent in all of his interviews and books, so I think he's just not wanting to burn the bridge toward the some of the best money he's ever made.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Why did Austin Aries stop using the Crucifix Bomb? Thing was awesome.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I don't know what it is about wrestlers that they just can't give up the in-ring part of it. Flair could have been a GM or manager and still done the odd bump or match, but he has it in his head that he has to be an active wrestler.

I understand not wanting to give up the crowd reactions, but you'd think you could still get that fix from a manager role. I guess we're not meant to understand it though, since most pro wrestlers are somewhat nuts.

I think acceptance of change is something that all humans (even the best of us) struggle with. When you've done something drat well for years, and all of a sudden you can't do it because your body won't let you, it's akin to having a broken heart. The way you want to live your life, you can't do anymore. It's little surprise that decades of drug and alcohol abuse and bad decisions have led to him still not being able to make good decisions.

I mean it's never really the lovely guys who can't let it go (or maybe they just aren't as publicized).

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

triplexpac posted:

What are some examples of Vince using the WWE to air his personal grievances/opinions?

The RTC was obviously him hating the PTC. I also seem to remember him cutting a promo on the US Government once

In the middle of his Million-Dollar Giveaway thing, he had this long, odd rant about how he hated that the public looked down on his fans and that everyone in the WWE universe was part of a "very special club."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

No he just went on and on about how the rest of the world looked down on WWE fans, so they belonged to a special club where they could be entertained every week or something.