Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Did X-Pac and Rikishi ever have a match? Crotch vs. Butt for the title?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bavsf6KFNvs And thankfully it's not for the Hardcore title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

BAN DICKEYE posted:

the original plan for the chamber match was to have punk and big show start it, with punk making Big Show tap within a minute to immediately elevate him to star status on the brand.

Yeah, but the smarter idea was for Lashley to go over, Sabu to be thrown out of the match DURING THE PPV, and for Punk to be eliminated first.

God drat, was December to Dismember awful. Actually, after RVD got busted for driving with pot, it pretty much felt like WWECW's purpose was to piss on anyone who liked ECW or anything other than John Cena, Batista, and The Great Khali.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

Speaking as a fan of the original ECW, once they dropped all pretenses that it was exactly like the original (i.e. removed the barbed wire and razorblades from its theme, stopped calling it 'The Land of Extreme', fired pretty much all the original ECW guys, etc.) it got to be a pretty good show in its own right. It just took a couple years.

Yeah, it did. I missed the final bit of it as I stopped watching in 2009 between Wrestlemania and the Punk/Hardy feud I wish I caught, but it was pretty cool after awhile. Just that period was really loving bad overall.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

Booker T/Goldust?

This is the first thing that came to mind for me. Right before Booker T won the right to the match against Triple H at 'mania, Goldust was basically "If we lose this next match we're done. We're friends but I'm holding you back." And Goldust was the one who got pinned during the tag match. Then the racist conumdrum of the build up to the match then Triple H winning because of Goldberg as an excuse or whatever.

Cardboard Box posted:

That match is widely regarded as a disappointment because of its length.
I completely remember that, but re-watching it, for 10 minutes it is a really good match.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I love how that is only a year ago
It's weird how much has changed since they decided to throw the "Emergency Make Punk The Guy" switch.

His fake crying followed by "SHUT UP" is awesome.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

No Way Out 2003: Hogan vs. Rock DUD

Never saw this match. Now I'm morbidly curious and just found it on youtube. The first wasn't bad, I know the crowd won't be what it was, but still there has to be some special reason for this.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I don't remember anything about it other than the debut of Hollywood Rock's amazing intro.
Hogan is now beating the crap out of The Rock with his belt. It's not a no DQ match as far as I know.

EDIT: Ok I guess it is, I just missed it. They're using chairs.

EDIT2: I guess not, the ref just took the chair from Hogan. Ok.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 11, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

LightsGameraAction posted:

Hahahaha wait, this was the same PPV as the botch crazy HHH/Steiner match that was so bad they wrote him out of the feud, wasn't it?

How did he actually rate that match higher than Rock/Hogan?

Nah, HHH/Steiner's more infamous match was a month before at the Royal Rumble.

Lights just went out, ref is knocked out. This better be Undertaker for some reason even though Vince just came out.

EDIT: Oh, the ref is a bad guy for some reason. Ok.

EDIT2: Wow, this is retarded.

EDIT3: And then Vince beats down Hogan. Not a DUD because I always figured those were non-matches like those Brodus squashes or Bryan/Sheamus, but drat yeah that was disappointing to say the least for Rock/Hogan 2.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 11, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

They tried selling a Best of Raw 1993 and it bombed.

MassRayPer posted:

Best of Raw 1993

Maybe if they tried a good year.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

HulkaMatt posted:

But he jumps off of high things!!!!!!

This is a really good point, I have to admit

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Wow, these sound like the ridiculous wrestling storylines I've always wanted to see. I need to start watching CHIKARA.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jetfire posted:

Lashley looked alright, but wasn't terribly exciting and IIRC he left due to some row between WWE and Kristal.

He left because around the time he was scheduled to come back, Michael Hayes decided that he had "nothing for him." After being in the biggest match at last Wrestlemania, and having a rocket on his rear end for like six months before taking time off for an injury.

Not that Lashley was that great, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Paulocaust posted:

I'm pretty sure that was on SmackDown, and it was Lesnar that ate the pin/was in the feud, not Taker.

Nope, SS 2000 was definently the Kurt/Eric Angle switch

EDIT: Beaten, and with detail.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

Victoria's theme was about how she wasn't the lady to mess with.

And Lita's was about...

Well, it was crap, but it wasn't about being hot or having a boyfriend or some crap. But what do you expect from most themes when the division's belt is a demeaning pink butterfly?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

Oh wait no, some fyad or byob Idiot King moved it to their subforum and started banning and probating people in it and it was gassed by admins

What? Banning PSP people, or just whoever from that forum posting?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Lashley was never as over as Ryback is now.

This is true. Want a "monster" that was ACTUALLY boring, go look at Bobby Lashley.

Valeyard posted:

But he lacks integrity and intelligence. Oh it's true.

He compensates with more intensity.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Juggalos love Ric Flair. He must be terrible.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm guessing there are several reasons. Lesnar and Rock are good ones. Cena out of the title picture for a while is another. People buying PPVs for Daniel Bryan and CM Punk should be factored. The Nexus seems to have hurt buyrates rather than helped and now that's gone. It's possible the SuperShow format might not have moved ratings much but it does help buyrates.

Probably more I haven't thought of. Every PPV in 2012 has done better than its 2011 counterpart but that will likely end on Sunday.

If it does worse that means just inserting Cena in the main event hurt for once. I'll laugh.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

triplexpac posted:

They had it in one of the video games, for some reason

Only wrestling games coming out are WWE games, might as well throw other stuff in them.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Liar Lyre posted:

I always feel lost when people talk about specific moves. Is there a good visual resource to learn the differences between suplexes and such?

Everything I know I learned from video games.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, JR is a great tool for learning just because the man's an encyclopedia of moves and calls drat near all of them exactly right.

And the rest were all Sidewalk Slams...

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

ChaosSmurf posted:

How did we get to the point where a right jab is considered one of the more sensible and deadly finishers in WWE?

(as comically as this is phrased, seriously how did that come about?)

Started around the Floyd Mayweather stuff, kinda evolved from there.

EDIT

VogeGandire posted:

It's a 500lb man with hands like snowshovels. "Getting punched by him would be pretty terrible" is just common sense.

Also this, but I just love strike finishers.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Those are fake from the front page. Fun's over, everyone.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/jo-buds-2.php

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Is it true that the reason why Cena's STF is so lovely is because when he actually trying to do it the right way, Edge passed out? Someone told me this and I think it is bullshit because before his rivalry with Edge he was still doing a lovely STF.

Its lovely because his arms that are "choking" them aren't even near the throat. It's like his forearms are squeezing the sides of your neck really hard. Seeing him do the STFU makes me involuntarily yell "pull your loving arms up!" at the TV.

He's a better wrestler than a lot of people want to give him credit for but jesus, that loving move...

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Its hard to believe that he can STILL blow my mind by doing a hurricanrana Frankensteiner even after transforming into that.

Dude, watch out. Scott Steiner would loving murder you.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

People were tired of Cena and Edge only had a couple of months before his MITB expired. They pretty much had to do it then or do it some random Raw or Wrestlemania.

Plus it helped make the Edge/Foley match a little more high profile, since it spun off from Cena/Edge. Even after Wrestlemania Edge jumped right back into the title picture and never really left. Evn if it was short it was the thing that launched him as a main eventer.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

I think what really solidified Edge as a main-eventer was ratings jumping like 25 percent when he won the title.

Yeah I forgot how good the ratings for the :alarm:LIVE SEX CELEBRATION:alarm: were. Still, that first MitB cash in and the night after really solidified what his character was.

RoleModel posted:

What I could see happening is staggering wrestler's schedules so that they don't burn out. It won't happen as long as Vince is alive, though.

Yeah, you don't need an off-season, just different scheduled off times. Hell, you can make that part of the story. Faces gunning for the heel with the title so he can't get a free 2-3 months as champion. Face gets screwed right before taking time, wants to come back early but is denied. Then returns with a ready made blood feud.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

I remember seeing that and thinking Randy Orton was going to become the next break out bad rear end babyface because of that. Silly me.

Ugh, McMahon and family deciding they were good guys is practically what made me stop watching for years until the rise of Punk. Evil industrialist Vince McMahon can not be considered good compared to anyone, even a creepy psychopath like Orton at the time.

When Vince showed up earlier this year as a good guy against CM Punk I practially had an aneurysm at my TV.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Because Punk is not allowed to be bigger than the corporate champ

Cena/Punk felt so weird because it was like if 1999 WWF was booked with trying to make the fans boo Steve Austin for fighting Vince McMahon. It's like they've lost so much self-awareness that they don't realize when people are cheering a guy fighting for the system they're still giving you money. You don't have to convince everyone that the WWE power structure and corporation are the good guys in storyline, because if they really thought you were evil they wouldn't watch the drat show.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Title reigns generally suck when you don't really let the champ do anything and only have one title defense that actually ends decisively over a period of months.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Again, it might not be due to the Draft itself, but moving Batista to Raw so both Batista and John Cena were on the same brand probably had much more to do with the ratings than CM Punk as World Heavyweight Champion, especially since Punk's time as Champion pretty much had him acting like a midcarder fighting guys like Snitsky and William Regal. He also lost more matches than he should have as World Heavyweight Champion. Not blaming Punk for how he was booked but fact is, it wasn't a smart decision for him to become World Heavyweight Champion at that time.

It wouldn't have been a bad decision if they, you know, actually acted like he was a contender. Its only a bad idea in retrospect because they obviously didn't give a poo poo and booked their own self-fulfilling prophecy.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Shiki Dan posted:

Meanwhile AJ as a talking head is being pushed in silly 'main event' storylines in an era where people like Mark Henry and The Miz can be considered 'main eventers'.

You bring up many good points but drat, did you see his run last year?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

cucka posted:

I especially was into the actual finish, where Orton is out on his feet, and if memory serves, tried for a half assed RKO and just couldn't even get close to pulling it off. Henry brushes him off, hits his finish, and even during the count I thought "No way in hell."

Orton literally crawled up Mark Henry, pulling onto the tights to get on his feet, to try and hit the RKO. And Mark Henry just loving pushed him away like nothing. Personally, if the rise of Punk got be back into wrestling, that match just solidified me watching again.

And anyone who says he's bad on the mic, on top of the Hall of Pain promos there was him at the commentary table when Big Show vs. Daniel Bryan happened for the title in the lead up to the fun triple threat cage match at the Rumble where he was amazing.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Hamass posted:

Henry's been with the company for years, seems like a real nice guy in real life, found a gimmick that was absolutely perfect for him and the company decided to ride it out. Henry getting his moment in the spotlight, and entertaining the audience in the process, sure didn't hurt the careers of Punk, Bryan, Cesaro, Sandow, The Shield, or any other "youngsters" who seem to all be carving out their own niches despite Mark's "Hall of Pain" run.

To the contrary, Bryan feuding with Henry and everything that followed is what started his rise. And the three match mini-feud with Punk was pretty amazing. Add to that helping Sheamus become face I think he did put over newer guys.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

The GIG posted:

Billy and Chuck. They only acted fake due to social pressure.

As much as I hate that gimmick, Rico being Three Minute Warning's manager was somehow pretty awesome.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gonz posted:

Terry Gordy. He died in 2001.

Well that's not funny at all...

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

We're watching the downfall of a future legend. A man who couldn't lose if he tried and now he can't become Champion if he tried. Losing to The Rock was the worst loss of his career. His career hasn't been the same since and even though he tries to keep it cool on the surface, Cena is falling apart. If this were a film, it'd be easier to catch. But it isn't. It's pro wrestling. So instead it looks bad.

Also, you know, the announcers or, gently caress, anyone could try and sell it like this to the audience. But it feels more like an accident you can string this narrative together than anything that was actually intended.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

TL posted:

My big concern now is that WWE has no idea how to book a top face anymore. Sheamus is having the same issue now, where he's rapidly turning all jokey and not taking anything seriously. It's weird, too, because its so far from his original character: he was a big Irish dude who likes to beat people up. All you need to do to make him a face is change his targets to heels. Instead, he's a big, happy go lucky smiling dude who hasn't shown any real anger over losing the World Title.

Dude, he beat the Big Show with a chair for, like, 5 minutes.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

But that's every former champion other than Cena, Bryan, and I guess Henry because he got hurt.

WWE isn't just bad at pushing new talent. They make drat sure to turn new main eventers back into just another guy.

Well, they'll never be moneymakers like Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Batista, Edge, or Taker.

Oh... wait... poo poo.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

What are you suggesting here?

Vin Diesel wants his Wrestlemania money!