Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Bret/Lawler feud that started at the ‘93 King of the Ring lasted two loving years?

Why?

By the time they were initially supposed to do the blow-off (Survivor Series 1993), Lawler was pulled off TV due to the sexual assault allegations. He didn't come back until the following WrestleMania. By then, Bret was back in the title picture and had his feud with Owen going on. That transitioned into Bret losing the title to Backlund and the Bret/Backlund feud finished at WrestleMania 11. Since the title picture was all about face Diesel at that time, Bret went back to feuding with Lawler for a few months, mainly as a way to keep him busy.

Once Bret finished with Lawler and Isaac Yankem, Vince lost his patience with the Diesel title run and Bret was pushed to champ again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheCool69 posted:

What are your favorite commentary mistakes/flubs and interactions between wrestlers and commentators

I always get a kick out of Triple H's bi bit. Jr reactions is perfect.

This one time Chuck Taylor was having a match with Arik Cannon while UltraMantis Black was on commentary. As UltraMantis was getting really into it, Chuck -- from the middle of the ring -- got his attention and told him to calm down. A bit frazzled and taken aback, UltraMantis continued his commentary and referred to him as "the voluptuous Chuck Taylor," which caused Chuck to turn around and laughingly go, "What?!"

Also, that time CM Punk was doing commentary on a no-commercial edition of Raw and was really into the display bucket of KFC in front of them.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CombineThresher posted:

Art gets a pass because he was unintentionally hilarious.

It breaks my heart that Rarity stopped her PPV review thread long before that King of the Ring.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cavauro posted:

Look at this pikachu that fell asleep on the beach and someone made them Look like a snorlax. using sand

my question is, is there any wrestling like this or about this.

I mean, in terms of Snorlax-based wrestling matches, Men on a Mission once became tag champs because Mabel fell on a guy in a house show and couldn't get up in time and the ref had to count to three.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ICHIBAHN posted:

About to watch Lucha Underground season 4 purely for Pentagon DARK. It's a long season though. Who does he feud with, and is it worth my time?

He mainly feuds with Cage and Marty the Moth.

Season 4 is easily the worst season, but it's worth watching just for how dumb and weird it gets. Mainly because the guys behind the show made an agreement with the roster that if they wanted out of their contracts, they could do so as long as they showed up to be written out. So you had characters being written out and killed nearly every week and sometimes you had to guess whether they were gone for good or if they were going to be brought back through storyline bullshit.

Then they give a (literal) god push to someone they really shouldn't and it's no wonder that the show is pretty much dead now.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Venomous posted:

Apparently there was an HIAC between him and Jericho that was good? idk, haven't seen it tbh

Triple H's matches were Jericho were very good, but completely forgettable due to the awful storylines surrounding them.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TriffTshngo posted:

Didn't H win like every single one, too?

It was rough because Jericho was like the opposite of Triple H in status during that run. As Undisputed Champion, the underlying story for a few months was "Chris Jericho is absolutely terrible and why are we stuck with him as champion?" Kind of like Seth Rollins but without the explanation that the guys in charge were protecting him at all costs.

So even though the matches were fine, everything surrounding them was crap because:

- It was a dominant face taking on a guy who somehow looked incredibly weak despite having various singles wins over Austin and the Rock in the previous couple months.
- The angle became Triple H vs. Stephanie McMahon featuring a bulldog and Chris Jericho.
- The storyline was so lousy that rather than show any of the build at WrestleMania, they had a buttrock group do a concert with random clips playing on the screens to "tell the story" of their feud.
- Triple H insisted that it main event the show, even though Rock vs. Hogan was the bigger deal. This hurt the match because everyone was burnt out and too tired to care for the main event.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Alex Wright.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

kinetic77 posted:

What is the main reason point systems never work? As far as determining ranking and such.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Obeying ranking systems in practice is a pain and not actually exciting, which is why not even actual sports follow them.

Chikara has a pretty solid point system for their singles and tag divisions. For whichever division, every win gets you a point. If you lose, you go back to zero. Three points gets you a title shot. It means there's a lot going on at all times, but keeping track and writing around it is Quack's wheelhouse.

For the most part, you can do interesting things with it. A match between two guys who each have two points is essentially a #1 contender match. Someone could earn a title shot via winning a one-night 8-man/team tournament. You can get multiple points from a four-corners elimination match or a tag gauntlet. There's a guy who made a couple visits from Australia over the years, and even though his team lost King of Trios, he still won his third singles point towards an eventual title match for his next visit.

The only drawback is when they introduce some new guy with momentum and they don't want him immediately in the title picture. Like they introduce this monster heel, but he needs to get disqualified to keep him from reaching three points.

One of the better uses of it was when Los Ice Creams Money in the Bank'd themselves into a title run and spent several months interfering in matches where someone has two points, just so they never had to defend the titles.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Ultimate Warrior vs HHH at Wrestlemania, simply because you know that it eats up HHH inside that he never got his win back.

It's like watching a supervillain origin story happen in front of you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

You guys are doing a great disservice to how awesome Koko's parts in "If You Only Knew" were.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I like to think he's speaking out of an old timey megaphone.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Electric tie rack, it's so nice, moves ties from side to side...

Thank you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

We're gonna have to cancel Mil Mascaras.

Mil Mascaras cancelled himself. Then he looked all confused while the referees told him to leave ringside.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Phenix Rising posted:

Especially if working with some random dude on the indies who might have his timing off or do something dumb to gently caress things up during the spot.

I love how unabashedly Nash holds out for more money and how often he's right for doing so. What a guy.

Plus he's a Monster Truck Madness survivor, which is incredibly inspiring.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gaz-L posted:

Cody then comes out on the next AEW PPV and steals food off of platters held by scantily clad men and women lining the entrance ramp.

I just realized that the perfect ending to the AEW vs. WWE war would be Cody reenacting Lee Chaolan's Tekken 5 ending with Vince as Heihachi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA7DeHyXCM0

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

afatwhiteloaf posted:

what was the first episode of WWE television you ever watched? for me, it was the July 4th 2003 episode of smackdown where Zack Gowen defeated the Big Show.

An episode of Wrestling Challenge from January 1991. The Royal Rumble hype drew me in.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Origin posted:

I'll throw this one out: What was the first live WWE show you ever went to. Mine was a house show at an arena in Manchester, New Hampshire in 1995. I remember seeing Yokozuna there, and of course since Triple H's hometown was a short drive away, he was there too.

Post-WrestleMania 7, I went to an MSG house show that is on the Network. It's the one where Hogan and Slaughter have a Desert Storm Match, featuring Hogan wearing his masked soldier gear.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

titties posted:

Same with flair vs savage

I remember WWF Magazine posting a photo of that spot with a really clean blur job on it and I was trying to convince someone at school that Ric Flair physically did not have an rear end crack.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Best WWE match I saw in person: Bret vs. Owen at Wrestlemania X.

Best non-WWE match I saw in person: Kota Ibushi vs. El Generico vs. Jigsaw vs. Nick Jackson from King of Trios 2009 Night 2.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Talk of old house shows makes me think of the second one I went to, which had a fairly rad Ultimate Warrior vs. Undertaker Bodybag Match main event. I think due to a friend of my dad's, we ended up watching the show from a sky box, so we were really high up.

One of the undercard matches was Jake Roberts vs. Earthquake with Andre the Giant in Jake's corner. This was after they had Earthquake destroy Andre's leg as a kayfabe explanation for why Andre was always on crutches. He was too broken down to get physically involved, but before the match started, he stood up, grabbed the mic and gave Earthquake the most scathing promo ever.

Maybe. I don't really know.

It was near-death Andre with a live mic in an arena where I was a mile high. All I could make out was, "RARRRRRARRRRARERRRURRRRRARRARREEERAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Diabolik900 posted:

No, I believe his last appearance was later that year when he was in The Bushwhackers' corner at Summerslam.

Yeah, Andre's last run in WWF pretty much went like this:

- Andre is announced for the Royal Rumble, but then they ignore that announcement because he's in really bad shape and can't make it.

- Andre shows up at WrestleMania 7 to mess with Heenan and Mr. Perfect. The end of the segment kind of makes it look like a passing of the torch from Andre to Boss Man.

- Vignettes start airing where various heel managers try to convince Andre to let them manage him, but he refuses.

- He takes part in two house show matches in limited capacity. A six-man tag in Northern Ireland (Andre/Rockers vs. Orient Express/Mr. Fuji) and a battle royal at the Nassau Colosseum where the winner gets a shot at the IC title that night. Young Gavok really, REALLY wanted to go to that show, but alas.

- Jimmy Hart asks him to let him be his manager. Andre refuses, so Earthquake attacks him from behind and destroys his leg.

- His last regular television appearance is as a guest on the Barber Shop where he acts like he's going to come back from the injury and have a match with Earthquake. Kind of sad to watch because you can tell that he's just done.

- Andre starts showing up in Jake Roberts' corner during a series of house shows as Jake wrestles Earthquake.

- At SummerSlam 91, Andre is in the Bushwackers' corner against the Natural Disasters. He doesn't really do anything and just stays outside the ring. After the match, the Disasters confront him, only for LOD to come out and ward them off.

Couple months later, he was off wrestling in AJPW.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Bad Wolf posted:

Taker's gotta be up there. I mean, The Streak alone has more than its fair share.

Not to mention his debut match was against a team of four guys where only two are still alive.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cavauro posted:

what is the shortest wrestling pay per view event.

I misread that as "shortest wrestling pay per view main event" at first.

That would probably be Punk vs. Del Rio at Summerslam 2011, right?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I guess in a way the first heel I cheered for was the Undertaker. Not for taking on a face, but because WWF had a 900 number poll on who Flair should defend the WWF Championship against at WrestleMania 8 and the options were Hogan, Savage, Sid, Piper and Undertaker. I wanted Undertaker to win the poll because I was so anti-Flair and figured that none of his tricks would work on a guy who couldn't feel pain.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has there ever been a really good "mismatch" match? On the level of Rey Mysterio vs Khali in size difference. Something more than "Big guy squishes little guy" or "Little guy tricks big guy and wins instantly".

Big Show vs. Mayweather?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheCool69 posted:

And what is your "most replayed moment" or ä moment you find yourself watching when you get on the tube and are bored. For me its either the Austin stuns everyone/Jesus pop or Heymans shoot promo on Vince, with the infamoua "YOU STOLE FROM ME" bit

- Hogan and Warrior clearing the ring at Royal Rumble 1990, with everyone suddenly realizing that they're the only two left and have to fight.

- CM Punk dressed as Jeff Hardy.

- Seth Rollins turning on the Shield, complete with that one guy in the crowd screaming, "NOOO!!" right before the chair hits.

- Bryce Remsburg taking a bullet for Ashley Remington.

- John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt (Kenny Omega) vs. John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt (Bryan Danielson).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I always like watching Sheamus' debut on Raw where he killed Jamie Noble. There was one guy in the crowd that kept shouting 'GET HIM AGAIN BIG RED AHAHAHA"

"HE'S A BUM!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheSwizzler posted:

When did the New Generation era really start or end? It's easy to say that it's based on the WWE using the term in their marketing, I've got my own guess on this.

KOTR 93 with the departure of Hogan to Bret's heel turn in '97 where a proto-Attitude era started. Or maybe that time Bret said "bullshit" unbleeped on Raw a month or so earlier

My pick for the start of the New Generation is Survivor Series 1992:

- The show takes place in-between the last real episode of Saturday Night's Main Event and the first episode of Monday Night Raw.

- Initially a huge push for Razor Ramon.

- Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels was announced as a nothing match, but they both won singles titles going into the show so it suddenly became the main event. The most hyped match ended up on the midcard.

- Warrior left the company a couple weeks before, being replaced by Mr. Perfect. Face Mr. Perfect's run consisted of running Flair out of the company, then putting over Lex Luger, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

- Yokozuna's first match against a named opponent.

- Big Boss Man's last relevant match during his classic run.

- Undertaker's match is basically the catalyst for the whole Giant Gonzalez thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are some of the most underwhelming surprise returns in terms of live crowd reactions? Brian Christopher got nothing for his last return with whatever Lawler angle that was but he was never that big to begin with and gassing yourself just dancing isn't impressive.

Tito Ortiz by a mile.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheSwizzler posted:

It's a pretty good place to pick with Hart's title run, Tatanka hanging around, Crushbrah brahing out, but I still think having Hogan around upstaging the title with his feuds places it in a transitional phase.

I find Hogan's run during this time to be more comparable to the Warrior's New Generation run. He shows up for a handful of shows and a couple PPVs to relive his glory days, but even as he disrupts everything they're building, it's apparent that this isn't his time anymore and he abruptly leaves.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aesop Poprock posted:

I swear there had to have been at least one chikara match where wrestlers fought over who gets to use a masked gimmick, it sounds too right to be wrong

In terms of two guys with the same (or similar) gimmick wrestling in a mask vs. mask match? They did one a few months ago with Dasher Hatfield vs. his son Boomer Hatfield. Boomer won and Dasher's free to be more serious as a main eventer.

They also did the opposite a couple years ago. Race Jaxon vs. Hype Rockwell in a match where the loser was forced to wear a mask from then on. Race lost and went from egotistical male model to insane, self-important avant garde artist named Blank.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Sort of related (and probably already asked, but this thread is huge): who is the biggest, most high-profile wrestler to get signed by WWE to end up being a HUGE flop? Like, tons and tons of hype, initial big push, then slumming it on the preshow rumble matches within a year or so? Sin Cara (1&2) definitely fit this, but anyone else come to mind?

Tazz is in the conversation for sure. Maybe DDP.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

AEW isnt going to effect the WWE's bottom line for awhile cause of blood money and the TV deals but Vince is treating them like competition. See the comments to investors about not doing blood and guts and the 5 year deals

Plus that Evolve show counter-programming.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Wish he was Joe Perfect, but that ship has long-since sailed.

Friend of mine always joked about he should have called himself Mr. Acceptable with the Acceptableplex as his finisher.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Blast Fantasto posted:

I kind of wanted this to be a loop of Brock just running around in a circle

"Some days you just can't get rid of A-Train!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Minidust posted:

Are there any accounts of wrestlers changing a finish on the fly, due to a spot coming off really well?

Like kind of the inverse of a botched finish... where things go way better than planned and it gets a huge pop, and they're like screw it we're going home on that note.

Obviously there are some difficult logistics involved, namely cluing in the referee and the timing for television broadcasts if it's a mainstream company. But I figure it has to have happened here and there. I imagine the lower you are on the card, the easier it is to pull off/get away with.

I was at an NXT house show a few years back and one of the matches was Jason Jordan vs. Tye Dillinger. Jordan was pre-Gable and didn't have any real character at the time, but it was a house show and pretty much every face who wasn't in a title match was going to win. Dillinger was initially the heel, but he was introducing his 10 gimmick through that house show run (it hadn't shown up on TV yet) and the crowd absolutely ate it up.

As the match progressed, the crowd got more and more on Dillinger's side and started turning on Jordan, who was smart enough to start heeling it up. They ended up having Dillinger win, which I'm almost certain wasn't the original plan.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Low Desert Punk posted:

how bad was Byron Saxton as a wrestler? I've only ever seen the gif of his finisher

He was in the fourth wave (third for men) of NXT rookies, so it was what it was, but Saxton was more in the middle of his class. He had an awkward eagerness to him where he was trying but couldn't figure himself out. He had shades of potential, but dropped his wrestling aspirations immediately afterwards. He was still better than Lucky Cannon and that Novak guy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Does anyone know where I can find the gameday thread for the 2007 WWE Hall of Fame? It's the one where they inducted Dusty Rhodes and I'm interested in looking back at everyone's initial reactions to Cody.

I seem to recall at least one, "Give this kid a contract!" post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Many thanks!