Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I still get agitated whenever I hear the "Hey Joe" riff in the nWo theme, aped or no. I mean, I know WCW loved aping the poo poo out of established rock tunes, but it struck me as lovely sampling which is a worse offender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

El Axo Grande posted:

And it didn't bother you when Hogan straight up stole Voodoo Chile?

Oh it did. Believe me it did. But we're talking about the nWo theme right now, so I didn't wanna start talking about that, or Smells Like Teen Spirit, or Evenflow, or whatever other aping occurred. There was a ton of it, and it was all obnoxious.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Oddly enough, after I peeked into Wrestlehut for the first time a couple months ago, I tried watching TNA. I never even paid attention to their themes because I had a feeling they'd do the same thing WCW did, and you've just proved me right. It's better that I didn't pay attention.

I stopped watching TNA as soon as they were preempted by reruns of Gangland.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Did anyone in Japan ever whip out their dick before performing a bronco buster? I remember seeing a gif somewhere but can't remember if it was a bronco or just some guy giving dick against a turnbuckle.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

What was the theory behind the phase-out of the noggin knocker? That did get phased-out, right - like, indies don't use it? Looking back at the old Rumbles and stuff from the "cartoon"(?) era, it got used a fuckton, but I can't imagine that ever being taken seriously.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

My noggin-knocker question from earlier never got answered, so I figured I'd ask a different one: Which RAW did this gif happen:

My searches for a video have led me to blown up versions of this very gif.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

While it's not from the same event as in the gif, I did find somewhat crappy video on my fifth try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BByG879x7c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BByG879x7c

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

It's before a KOTR ppv according to commentary

The gif and the video I found are from two different events, both of which probably took place near the same timeframe (in 1999, according to the youtube source). However, the one in the gif looks like it's taking place during a match while this video was basically that spot + the brahma bull being lowered from the rafters.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Has anybody since Rugged Ronnie Garvin used the Garvin Stomp? That move always cracked me up when I was a kid, and I could never take it seriously, even back during my "IT'S REAL YOU GUYS" phase when I was 8.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

I enjoy watching half-naked sweaty men pretend to beat the poo poo out of each other. Like martial arts action movies.

Would you watch more WMAC Masters if it actually survived?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

First question: When was the last time the WWE used the blue bar "FIFTEEN FOOT HIGH STEEL CAGE"?

Second question: Having seen the Jeff Hardy bombed-out-of-his-mind clip from last night, when was the last time we ever saw someone come to the ring visibly intoxicated in such a manner? I, myself, have never seen anything that bad before, but I can't imagine it's that isolated an incident.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I've read a lot of complaints in the Pagoda regarding how much the WWE neglects the Tag Team division, or that teams tend to be broken up just as they might look the slightest bit interesting. What baffles me (and maybe someone can explain it here) is that, with all of the "special event" tag team matches that happen, why anyone would want a division whose matches have been paint-by-numbers for at least two years now?

A more specific question: When people complain about the tag division, are they only complaining about the lack of teams? Or are they complaining about the fact that tag teams in the WWE have been running [hyperbolically] the exact same tag match for two years, just with different players?

Examples of sameness include: heels bury rival in corner, double knockout-to-hot tag, face no-sell to pile-of-bodies finish (or, the alternative gently caress finish via interference).

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hogan's "Real Americans" has that build too- maybe shorter than Cena's, but it works.

The version of "Real American" that they played at shows always cut off the distortion/echo beginning, and went straight for the main lick.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

When did people start doing "run-ins"? I'm not talking about managerial interference, but a wrestler running in from the back to assist/disqualify.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

budreck posted:

I remember Samoa Joe being written off tv for a while because he was kidnapped by ninjas.

How did he return?

If he wasn't rescued by two guys in wifebeaters, screaming "I'm BAD!" then that's yet another missed opportunity by TNA.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

After seeing someone bring up the Daniel Bryan Airplane Spin in the WWE GDT, it got me to thinking about the "Dino Bravo Airplane Spin" that's featured in the background in "Encino Man," with Gorilla Monsoon saying "Oh, it's an airplane spin, going ROUND AND ROUND."

Does the actual Dino Bravo airplane spin exist on youtube/Dailymotion? Also, was it just a jobber in the spin, or anyone notable like Hercules or something? It's been years since I've seen Encino Man, but because the airplane spin actually gets referenced later in the movie, I always think of it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at Sep 17, 2011 around 03:22

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

After seeing someone bring up the Daniel Bryan Airplane Spin in the WWE GDT, it got me to thinking about the "Dino Bravo Airplane Spin" that's featured in the background in "Encino Man," with Gorilla Monsoon saying "Oh, it's an airplane spin, going ROUND AND ROUND."

Does the actual Dino Bravo airplane spin exist on youtube/Dailymotion? Also, was it just a jobber in the spin, or anyone notable like Hercules or something? It's been years since I've seen Encino Man, but because the airplane spin actually gets referenced later in the movie, I always think of it.

I unfortunately posed this question in the middle of a Mark Henry argument, and have since gone through a bunch of Dino Bravo jobber matches and PPV matches, and yet have not found this clip. Anyone got a clue on this one? It's a fun curiosity, but if you want to talk about him getting shot in the head seventeen times, that's all you.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

True story: When I was a kid I didn't know about gimmick repackaging, but I had been a big fan of Demolition. Repo Man was beating someone up in the ring and yelled, "I'm gonna kick yer stinkin' teeth in!" which is something Smash used to say. I recognized it, then I recognized him, and that was the day kayfabe died.

If I recall correctly, my kayfabe died when my parents saw me crying during the "Earthquake crushes Hogan's ribs with Dino Bravo cheering in the background" montages, and felt the need to explain to me then and there that Hogan didn't need me to send him a Get Well card, because he was probably just on vacation.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Other than "It's 1993, so it must be time to do coke", has there ever been an explanation behind having references to Survivor Series used in the Wrestlemania Anthem?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Is John Cena the only wrestler to pretend that the ring steps are harder to lift than Mark Henry? Or is this a callback to an earlier kayfabe heavy "steel steps" that people have been ignoring for decades?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

What other finishers appear to deal (or actually does) more damage to the performer than the recipient?

Justin Gabriel used to sell the poo poo out of hurting his abs after his 450 splash.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I'm hoping this isn't a rhetorical question, but here goes:

With the WWE Network's supposed back catalog of EVERY WWE PPV EVER, UNCENSORED AND UNCUT... are we finally getting Over The Edge '99?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I feel REALLY lovely for asking my question about OTE99, but my original reason for asking it was due to the "EVERY PPV EVER" being trumpeted in the advertisements.

Personally, I'm hoping to find the Superstars of Wrestling episode that featured Dino Bravo doing an airplane spin (which I've only seen in the movie Encino Man) when the catalog becomes available.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Was there ever any asterisks on the "unedited, uncut" advertising for the WWE Network's back catalog? Yes, I'm still butthurt about entrance theme rights, and it'd be nice if they admitted it, too.

The replay of WM27 last night's missing "Ain't No Grave" music package for the Undertaker's entrance is why I'm asking, although I'm also the guy who imported the Alan Parsons Project into WWE 2K14 for Steamboat.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

And WWE did say, when asked, that the only edits would be for rights reasons.

This was the answer to the question. I wasn't sure they had said this.

Also, I'm really hoping they recut their masters to remove the blurs, but that's splitting hairs at this point.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Unless I am misremembering, PSP's initial reactions to Roman Reigns as the third man of the Shield were something akin to "green as goose poo poo" (paraphrasing). I don't know much about his time in FCW/NXT as Leakee, but if my memory of PSP's guarded reaction to him is correct, what was the moment (or series of moments) that turned around collective opinion on him? Was it him showing abilities people didn't think he had, or was it just being booked smartly?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

What is the kayfabe reason for storing kendo sticks under the wrestling ring? Is there one?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I could somehow understand keeping a spare chair, table or ladder. I just didn't know whether there was a kayfabe-specific reason for kendo sticks to exist within a wrestling arena when the Singapore caning thing happened over two decades ago.

However, I do like the idea of them being Blackman-traps.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Two questions, so I'll break them into separate segments:

1) After watching the "Overachievers" episode of Legends of Wrestling on the WWE Network, I'm actually wondering about the likelihood of the "WWF Superstars of Wrestling"/"WWF Wrestling Challenge" catalog actually being put out by the WWE Network. I know it has aged poorly and is a back catalog of throwaway characters in squash matches, but I can recall there also being a fairly big stack of house show promos that don't really show up anywhere else. Also, that video package for the Lex Express.

I know they'll eventually put up all the RAWs and Nitros to go with their Monday Night War show, but with all the clips of the Brother Love show showing up in interstitials for the Network, I'd like to see a catalog of that source material. Just... umm... I really hope they don't do the same for WCW Worldwide, because I'm still pretty bitter about my Los Angeles affiliate getting WCW instead of WWF (although it saved me from having to hear more "OH BOY HERE COMES VADER NOW" for more than, like, 2 weeks).

2) Wristlocks and hammerlocks. They used to be as ubiquitous as the "noggin' knocker". I know some folks are sick of the "Irish whip, duck, leapfrog, improvise" spot, but it's a far sight more entertaining than the staples that came before. It's almost to the point where I have a hard time watching a match if it has a wristlock or a hammerlock in it (looking at you, Wrestlemania VI). The question: is there a hard-and-fast point at which the pro wrestling community-at-large phased those out?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at Apr 14, 2014 around 04:20

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

In the sequence of John Cena's Five Moves of Doom, I know that I've seen people counter the Flying Shoulder Block by ducking it and having him just go sailing out of the ring. I've seen people counter the Five Knuckle Shuffle at both the taunt and the "dust shoulder off" point. Of COURSE everyone counters the AA.

So, why do people insist on throwing the haymaker after the second Flying Shoulder Block if people have kayfabe scouted the rest of his repertoire? I don't know that I've ever seen the Side Slam countered, like, ever.

Has anyone interrupted the sequence at the Side Slam?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Real quick aside on the Wrestling Shirts discussion: I bought a yellow Big Boss Man/Akeem Twin Towers "Never Forget" t-shirt as recommended by this very forum, and I trot it out every 9-11.

I have managed to have 5 random passersby compliment me on the shirt since purchasing it in 2011, and I have also completely infuriated one coworker to the point of reporting me to HR for it.

It's my favorite shirt.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What was in the report to HR? "Offending clothing" or something?

Yeah, it was "Offensive attire." I explained the joke to HR, and they laughed and then said "eh, just don't wear it here, but I agree, this is dumb. Just keep the peace."

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Where do you work where a wrestling shirt is both appropriate and inappropriate at the same time?

It was a video game company I worked for. I'm not saying that makes more or less sense.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

epitasis posted:

btw they were definitely appeasing you and agreed more with the complainant just fyi

I have no doubts that I was being appeased. HR's duty isn't to tell people to suck it up, after all. I didn't want to ACTUALLY offend anybody, but so it goes.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Guys, guys! Isn't this line of questioning a little facetious? You're implying a very bold claim in which one assumes that the midcard belts actually matter. Think about it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

NameHurtBrain posted:

If he was in today's WWE I wonder if Cena would even get booed against him when it turns out Bossman fed a make-a-wish kid to him.

I never knew I wanted this so badly. I'm a horrible human being by proxy.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Marquis de Pyro posted:

This is difficult because they'd REALLY have to commit to it long term. They've conditioned everyone to think that most moves can never win a match, so at least at first it's going to be 'what, how did that bum lose to a loving transition move'

I can't remember who it was against, but during one of the first Old School RAWs, Mark Henry won a match with a bear hug. While not my favorite transitional move, something like this would be cool to see again.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I know that people brought up the whole "harleys, Death Valley, big dog, my yard" thing about Undertaker, but I feel we're ignoring the elephant in the room:

Soupbones

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

MisterGBH posted:

How many people ever got over being a kayfabe relative of already established star? I was thinking Arn Anderson and Dean Malenko to a lesser extent Kane.

The Big Show (née "The Giant" in WCW, Andre's kayfabe son)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

In the original Wrestlemania for the NES, Ted DiBiase's theme was Strike Force's "Girls in Cars" by Robbie Dupree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Why do wrestlers do that thing where they point at each other with both arms. Like, lift both your arms above your head and now try to point to the left with both hands, that thing. Is there a place where that started? I notice wrestlers seem to do it a lot.

First, Goten and Trunks

Then, hall and nash?

«3 »