Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

EugeneJ posted:

He's still stuck in the cage

I laughed at this. Thank you for posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

All this talk about John Tenta makes me wonder - was Dino Bravo always loving terrible? Like, I know he got merc'd in Quebec and all, but in retrospect he just always looked awful. The only thing that ever sticks in my head about Dino Bravo is him doing an airplane spin on a short clip used in the movie "Encino Man" (and goddamn it I still want the source tape for that match), and the Earthquake "man from the crowd" bit that introduced Tenta proper.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Brock Lesnar posted:

Rey Mysterio Jr. killed Perro Aguayo

This was the "shoot 619," correct?

:thejoke:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

the wooooooooooooomb

I laughed at this post. A good post.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Was I the only kid who thought that the ref you could bump in WWF Royal Rumble was modeled after Garvin?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

This really isn't a question, but after seeing those pictures from the 2017 Royal Rumble where Braun and Bray were golf-carted to the ring, I'm jonesing for the return of Ring Carts.

We're almost there! I'm a little surprised that Roman didn't take a cart to the ring, what with his cardio and shameful back.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

MD2020 posted:

Obviously Macho Man thought that the rules from the WWF WrestleFest arcade game were in place, as that Royal Rumble mode allowed eliminations from pinfall, submission, over over the top rope.

Oh how I so desperately want this to be the thing.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Is there any chance of there being any Network effort to digitize/release the jobber shows? I know that watching 1990 episodes of Wrestling Challenge probably sounds lame as heck, but I thirst for the green screen backdrop promos and the one obscure episode where Dino Bravo used an Airplane Spin as shown in Encino Man.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also this would be loving amazing. it seems like there's... just really, really huge gaps in the WWF/JCP/WCW TV on there from before the Monday Night Wars, like they have nearly nothing from the mid-80s up to the first Raw except SNME, the Coliseum Video tapes, and the PPVs.

I think the only thing I might regret is trying to watch mid-90s Superstars and hearing that completely butt-awful country intro OH BOY HERE COMES VADER NOW :ohdear:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

VJeff posted:

Okay, here's a game.

List every instance of "WWE guy who has some really cool signature move but uses a weakshit Neckbreaker variant as a finisher instead." you can think of.

I almost want to say Ravishing Rick Rude here, but you’ve got a downer view on neckbreakers, so maybe anybody with a cutter?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Rude Awakening loving kicked rear end

I actually agree with you. The original question was written with a very negative slant and I was trying to give him “the answer he was looking for” rather than my opinion.

But yeah I dug the rude awakening. It was a childhood bed wrestling thing when you’re 8.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

If WWE puts Bam Bam into the Hall next year because they’re in the neighborhood, would LT agree to indict him? Or would people want to distance themselves from the memory of the match?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Other than invoking the memory of LT, what else kept Bam Bam out of HOF consideration for this long?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I was replying to an example from a few months ago. I mean he goes through phases where he's horribly out of shape and stinks, then gets in shape and is good and then it repeats. I mean the guy had to get out of the business (mostly) for a year in 2007 because he'd been so worn down in the previous decade (and to try and box.) He had a good run in 08, then the Jerishow run, then I honestly don't remember a ton until Braun but there's probably stuff in there since it is late and I'm tired.

He had like eight turns. Maybe more. And the crying.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

One of the often repeated things about NXT is that it doesn't actually do anything overly complicated, it just takes basic stories and executes them well. Whaddya know, turns out people really loving like that!

I’m pretty sure people are also sick to death of McMahon-spoonfed angles involving McMahons and their spouses. And wouldn’t you know, the only thing that comes close to that in NXT is HHH pointing at his own dick (figuratively, on Twitter) every single time something cool in NXT happens and we’re all irritated that the main roster isn’t getting the love.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

She’s not Ziggler.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

You guys are so mean to each other.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I really really like gutwrench powerbombs best

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I wish Samoa Joe would suplex Joe Buck

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Timby posted:

Foley and Flair lost about a gallon of blood in a throwaway match on Impact back in 2010.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x35d55p

Just talked to my friend from Florida who once told me she had to get treated for having a shitload of Flair blood all over her hands. She used to work for Universal Studios.

It was this match.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Gavok posted:

The one bump that always haunted me was Eddie Guerrero in his first WWF match. He hit a frog splash, but slammed his arms too hard into the mat and completely hosed up his elbow in a nasty-looking way. What made it worse was that we immediately got to see him react to it after the impact.

Holy poo poo I watched that when it happened. I didn't realize that was his first match in the organization, though! Happened on a Smackdown, no?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Who was the first heel you cheered for and do you remember why?

Does "HOROWITZ WINS HOROWITZ WINS HOROWITZ WINS" count? Because the "pat on the back" was a Heel move, right?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

titties posted:

It's a beautiful heel move and after watching some of his matches I'm pretty sure Barry Horowitz was pretty good at wrestling. Too bad he had a schlubby regular guy appearance instead of looking cool.

I mean like if Barry Horowitz had a Rick Rude or Scott Hall body he would have been unstoppable

Also, maybe don't give him Hava Nagila for entrance music?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

The only thing keeping Bam Bam from the Hall is remembering Lawrence Taylor, which is a bad look right now I think?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

Now I assume there was probably more to the Lita/Matt/Edge thing than what people initially heard but I've never heard any kind of history on it?
Was it based on RL events? Was it completely fabricated?
Shame Matt didn't find his muse until he was in his 40's.

https://youtu.be/iEDu0sOISFs

This is so entertaining I don’t care how much is true

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

TheCool69 posted:

Do you think that the type of multiweek "deep" character study interviews like they did back in the day with Foley and Dustin would work today? Would todays crowd have the patience for it? Would it help a character get over?

Anger Management therapy?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Hey wrestlegoons. I have stumbled upon an ear worm that has reminded me of how terrible mid-90s syndicated television was:

Until my brother got PrimeStar for the family, my last taste of the WWF was the Superstars theme from that era.

I won’t say the name of the song or mention any of the quotes, but it’s absolutely awful Monday Night Football garbage and nobody needs that in their head. If you know it you know it and I’ve already done the damage and I’m sorry.

No, I won’t link it.

Here’s the question - how many revisions of it exist!?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Yes, it's perfectly normal and not-at-all pathetic to remember, then bring up a week later, a stranger's opinion of a wrestling move. And when they remark on how sad they think that is, it is really they who are sad.

Your math checks out.

OH BOY HERE COMES VADER NOW

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Cavauro posted:

It was The Undertaker, because he was still doing that gimmick where he would come down from the rafters and wouldn't speak and JJ Dillon kept on being a dick about "not knowing" what he wanted unless he spoke when everyone knew

I, too, want to see Becky embrace Crow Sting

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

The match featured briefly in Encino Man during the Wooly Bully montage, with Dino Bravo doing an airplane spin on somebody with Gorilla Monsoon on the call - I know I’ve asked this a few times, but is the full match located anywhere? All WWF video I’ve seen from the time period has him doing a Sidewalk Slam, so I’m confused as to the origins of the clip.

And yes, I was inspired to ask this again because that dude’s gut reminds me of Dino Bravo.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Davros1 posted:

It was only house shows, and it doesn't look like it lasted long enough for him to have an outfit before Animal left.

It looks like he’s pressing Pac-Man. Who the heck is that?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I always liked announcers talking about the match that they supposedly had scheduled if the main event ended quickly. (It never did)

The dark main?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

shiksa posted:

it's wild how we as a society have forgotten the scream films. not singling you out, but honestly, that ghost face mask was the most common Halloween item for a decade and when is the last time you heard someone mention any of those movies?

I'm glad for this, because the sheer volume of saturation at the time was unbearable. You can lump into that the Wayans parodies.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I always thought a good answer to the biggest upset question was Horowitz Wins, even if it's wrong.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a webpage or wiki with a list of all the belts used by major companies, preferably with pictures?

Are you looking to legitimize the weed belt

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I still want to punch Todd Pettengill in the face.

That meme where they put Nic Cage’s face on David Schwimmer as Ross Gellar, but instead it’s Todd

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I’m waiting for the day that an increasingly irate WWE Universe will start doing “3... 2... 1... *buzzer noise*” chants in the middle of a promo.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

MotU posted:

i miss the big men. i miss bam bam. i miss bossman. i miss vader

Who do you wish ate more?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

There was a New Day promo from years ago that my wife and I still bring up, where New Day (still during their first heel run) had worn t-shirts of the heel women’s faction (I think this was during an awful acronym period, or something), but the ladies had the OLD New Day shirts, and the entire video concludes with Big E saying “Why y’all late?”

Anybody got a link for this? I remember it being pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Thanks for the Team BAD reference, here’s the promo I was looking for:

https://youtu.be/LP8oefTHYAs