Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I liked Spike & Big Show's tag team reign. I thought he got a fair shot in the WWE, given that he was always a bit of a niche character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

What was the last update on Bobby Heenan? Last I heard he was recovering from throat surgery. Did he pull through? Can he talk?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Umbra Dubium posted:

If that Executive Vice President turned up for work every morning driving a Ferrari, wearing a huge fur coat and trailing dusty white bank notes down the corridor, yeah.

So what you're saying is that you work for Dr Ken?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I remember WWF catching a SHITTON of flak for that and quite correctly pointing out that they hadn't recieved a single complaint about Chris Jericho beating the living poo poo out of Chyna on the same PPV.

That always bugs me.

Women being beaten by men is bad.

Women being defeated in combat sports by men is not a problem, especially when the woman is actually bigger and stronger than the man in question (in which case its actually kinda cool).

Its all about the setting. No-one would have complained about Kat getting her norks out if it had been some x-rated girls gone wild pay-per-view.

Well.

I would have, but I'm a boob connoisseur ... :smugdog: (of dodgy PPVs) :smith:

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Carlton Banks posted:

"Whoops, just got my rear end kicked by tiny little Savio Vega"

Did he ever!

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Do you guys think the WWE might ever consider doing non-canonical, low-key shows to compete with Indy talent or to spread appeal overseas? It seems they're forever struggling to find places for some of their low and mid card talent. I can't imagine they couldn't turn a profit producing a more indy-style (ie more athletics, less talking), lower budget show under a different brand name. You know, so long as it wasn't HEY KIDS ITS THE NEW WWE INDY - just make their own little indy organisation and not ever talk about it on TV.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Judakel posted:

What was up with Shawn Michaels' face when he first came back? I have seen clips of him at Wrestlemania 19 and his upper lip looked stiff. There's really no other way to describe it. It looks as if he can't move part of his face.

I've noticed he has a droopy eye thats been getting steadily worse - almost like nerve damage from that broken orbital bone he had (or was that kayfabe?)

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

How often throughout the history of wrestling has there been a good feud for the title that wasn't about the title itself?

Punk/Jeff?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Blinken posted:

This is kind of an odd question, but are there any defining characteristics to a luchador mask ? Like visual cues that let you know it's a Mexican wrestler and not a power ranger or something.

Follow-up question: is there any tell-tale signs that point to heritage or geography? I always associate horns and streamers with Jap lucha, but that's probably just me.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Axissillian posted:

If he hadn't Foley'd from the rafters in 1999 his career accomplishments would have been: famous brother, some good matches, the white guy in NOD.

While I agree that he probably doesn't really deserve to be in the HoF (unless, perhaps, he went in alongside Bret), I really think with his solid style, clean cut looks and reputation for being much-loved backstage, he'd probably have been Cena without the rap gimmick.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

reality_groove posted:

Well, I'd say it's not that he was gay, but that he went around whining that he was being held down due to homophobia.

Case in point: Pat Patterson liked the BANANA and it never hurt his career.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

When watching Japanese clips on youtube, while I don't understand the words, I like to think I can read the inflections and meter a little bit, and it seems very much like they're not in any way conversational. While I don't like WWE people talking over big moves, I think I'd get annoyed if the "commentary" was simply just guys running off the move names. What sort of thing do the Japanese guys talk about?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Trips hits people with a sledgehammer every month or so.

A sledgehammer. Not a chair, or a baseball bat, or even a steel pipe. A loving sledgehammer.

Sometimes they win the match afterwards. I mean, not often, but sometimes.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Judakel posted:

That question led to some really embarrassing moments being brought back up. Jesus christ this business...

Which, since I'm having a crisis of faith elsewhere, leads me to my next question:

Which is more embarrassing: obsessive gamers or obsessive wrestling fans? As a gamer and a wrestling fan, I pretty much hate most of my peers. :smith:

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Katie Cou Baby Boo posted:

both are equally embarassing and pretty much anyone who gets mad serious or obsessive about entertainment falls into that category.

At least games have the POTENTIAL to be both a thought-provoking medium and a tool for learning.

I mean, I'm not saying wrestling hasn't taught people anything, but yard tards are not a great contribution to the world.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Batmanuel posted:

I learned to never jump at Mark Henry

We all learned that. The wrestlers didn't.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

There've been tons of car-wreck storylines. Hogan crushed Rock with a semi truck, then was his buddy the next week and Rock was fine. Cena just got run over by JBL recently.

The car thing happens a lot.

ITS A GODDAMN SLEDGEHAMMER.

Conclusion: everything in wrestling world is made of Nerf action foam.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

How'd this thread end up on page 2?

Also, why did Joel Gertner ALWAYS wear a neck brace?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Is it pronounced DEgeneration X or deGENeration X?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Is Jay Are Fatu ever going to return to WWE? (pronounced wah-wee)

Lookit Jayru Salum over here.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

CM Punk

Lance Storm

Similarities?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

They're both good workers but CM Punk made it to the world championship so I'm gonna ultimately say they're different.

They both work a stiff technical style in the ring, with not too much flair (beyond some nifty kicks) and talk pretty much straight without being wacky, or comedic, or spitting through gritted teeth.

But Punk has piercings, tattoos, a hardcore punk intro, and calls his clean lifestyle "straight-edge".

I'm basically saying Punk (especially heel Punk) proves Storm had a bad break, because they're really the same candy in different wrapper.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Look excited and look like you're about to ring the bell for every nearfall.

Accept that in the order of people to be thrown around by monster heels, you're above the cameraman, but still below announcers, even Cole.

Also, remember that when a wrestler asks for your chair (or your tiny, deadly hammer) that he isn't really asking.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

3 pages late, but when did the V1 era end? Was there ever any dirtsheet rumours or anything on why it did? Is it just Matt Hardy's desperate desire to be a serious, bitter, angry character and not a silly wrestler? Has there ever been an attempt at V2? I miss enjoyable Matt Hardy

Edit: Also "clicka-clicka-click ... click-click ..." was the best pre-intro intro ever.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

We have Cena's 5 knuckle shuffle.

Before that was THE WORM (also, people's elbow).

Hogan used to pose before hitting the big leg sometimes (didn't he?)

Who was the earliest person people remember doing silly dances before moves while their opponents had to lay there not doing anything?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Theshby posted:

I mean the movement more than than the name.

I always thought it did look a bit cooler - there's certainly an implied added momentum given from the arm-swinging, esp. with the chest being thrust forward towards the end.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

battlemonk posted:

I think Steiner ... doesn't seem the type to care too much about ... language.

Creative quoting for truth. :smugdog:

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

You know what would own and is completely supported by the rules? An open ladder match. Just hang the belt up there and say the first superstar to get it is the winner. Locker room emptying, announcers climbing, it would be great.

Would only work in a DDT-style fed, though I'd kill for some of the old 24/7 slapstick wrestling to be brought back.

Why hasn't Chikara ever tried to get on TV? It's family-friendly and quite well produced. I don't think it'd be hard to get backing.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Minidust posted:

oh hey that's a pretty nice way of looking at it :shobon:
I've always hated when people give the big "THAT'S SO FAKE!!!" reaction to a blocked chairshot. Is frantically protecting your face not a "realistic" reaction to seeing a chair fly at you?

Nothing looks faker than unprotected chairshots/headpunches.

Next time someone says "THATS SO FAKE", they should have a chair swung at them, and we can all see how they react.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Has anyone other than HHH ever used Ode To Joy as an entrance theme? Its pretty cool.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Well this just makes no sense. Why would Jericho switch to a move that is easier to counter? Doesn't he want to win?!

Because you get bored of using the same move over and over when you're the man of 1004 holds!

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

:bahgawd: in my estimation it'd probably be MVP

Its not prison rules.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

So, I just watched the new Botchamania - which is pretty much how I stay on top of happenings in TNA these days.

What's happening with their ring? Did they change it to a traditional 4 sided ring, get poo poo on by the fans, then change it back? Or is it still 4 sides?

And then there was that "you're all cast members" video ... are they just trying to insult as many fans as they can as quickly as they can?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Was any kayfabe reason given as to why we didn't see DX vs Punk/Gallows at the Rumble? Weren't they announced as #1 contenders?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

inconsequential posted:

For example, according to the quotes, the december 15, 1997 Nitro featured a dummy dropping down, only to be revealed as actually Sting who then fights the NWO while ridiculously hampered by the hooks that dropped him down.

A youtube search shows the show from that date featuring a Sting dummy dropping from the rafters only to be beaten by Hogan after they fake shoot that it was the real Sting and he's hurt. While equally stupid, I really want to see the moment described but can't find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wfaszgQlO0

I think the story was that the nWo "fooled everyone" with the dummy one week, then Sting pulled this the next week, but I can't be sure.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I vaguely remember Christopher Daniels appearing in one of the first giant clusterfuck matches they had when they brought in the Light Heavyweight title. Is there any reason he's never been tapped for OVW? Or AJ Styles, for that matter? He seems pretty decent and reliable, and I don't imagine the TNA paycheck is keeping them there.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I know AJ always said he was afraid of going to the WWE and being used horribly. I guess he does not want to be the next Nick Dismore.

In other news, AJ is staying in America because UK gun crime has been on the rise.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

What is, in your opinion, the best, most crystalline example of WWE's 'Face in peril' type tag match style?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD7T_z3KPvw&feature=related

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Burrito posted:

This is the guy that made me realize what "indy as gently caress" meant.

He's wrestling to earn enough money for a second kick pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Yeah, that's why the crowd goes nuts every time someone uses a rest hold.

TBH, Bryan seems to have a grasp of how to make the crowd pop at least a little for a submission. That heel hook he uses must look like poo poo live (it's just a few degrees off a very basic STF), but it looks deadly on camera.