Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So lets talk about Ninja 250s, As it can never be said enough, ninja250.org has everything you'll ever want to know about your bike, and doing your own maintenance.

Here's a good post about why you want a Ninja 250:

nsaP posted:

I made a post on reddit a while back mostly covering this so I'll just c/p, the OP was asking about getting a 600 but the points stand. I can't actually say why your instructors said that, but I'd think they either believe it, or they've seen enough riders that do "get bored" with the 250 and they know a 500 or 650 isn't a death sentence. The second part is true, while I love the little 250s, a gs500 is a fine starter bike as well. Just a bit heavier. Anyway:

----
When people say they "got bored" with a 250 what they mean is they got used to it's slow straight line acceleration and wanted more acceleration. If you just want to go fast in a straight line, by all means buy a 600.
If you want to actually learn to ride well, smaller bikes with tame, predictable motors are the way to go. It's your first bike, not your last. You should be focused on learning the basics on your first bike: clutch control, throttle control, braking and cornering. A ninja 250 is forgiving of beginner mistakes and great for learning the basics. It's no speed demon in a straight line but you're still quicker than half of the cars on the road, and once you get it up to speed, it's much more agile. I keep up with 600s and 1000s on the backroads because I can run the same pace as them even though they accelerate way faster. 600s are much less forgiving on newbie mistakes and it's a lot harder to learn throttle control on them, since you can barely twist the throttle without breaking laws usually. You can run a ninja250 to redline in 3 gears and you're only going 55. That's the top of 1st for most 600s.
People say to buy old ninja 250s because they are great learner bikes and hold their value, so after you spend a season on one learning to ride, you get your money back out of it and buy the bike you really want. Again, if all you want is the thrill of straight line speed then buy whatever and go wring it out on the highway. There's tons of riders like that and you can spot them by their poor low speed control, awkward body positioning and tendencies to crawl thru corners. If your goal is to become a competent rider, small and low power bikes like the ones in the FAQ are the right tool.
I'll say too that while a sv650, ninja 500 or ninja 650 are all tame and decent learners, they are heavier. A ninja 250 is 100-120 lbs lighter than any of them and when you're learning that is very nice. It makes low speed maneuvering so much easier. The other bikes are not* particularly hard, compared to like big 800 lb cruisers or something, but they are harder than the 250.

EDIT: I'm keeping my giant iron bull + ninja pic :colbert:

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Checkin in with my poor battered 04 EX250 :ninja:

Here's me looming over the littlest ninja just before taking it across Texas :downs:

I purchased it a year ago this month :monocle: and it seems like I'm always doing something to it. I bought it with a broken upper cowling and two broken front signals. I tried repairing the cowling, but I found out I like my bike more as a streetfighter. So, I swapped out the headlight and tossed a computer on. Hooray!

My seat has started tearing lately, sadly, so my next repair is going to be recovering it. I've got a new cover on order, but the lady who sells them got hit by a car :( and is out of commission for a while, delaying my order for however long it takes her to get back going again.

I also need to replace the side panels, as both of them are broken in various ways.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Posing with Tank Dog© accessory kit.

I have crazy fantasies of painting the whole bike fluorescent yellow to match the helmet.

I haven't made any modifications yet, unless you can count the wristwatch strapped to the left mirror. The first mod I'm planning on is flush mount signals in front, relocating the rear signals to the side pods in the tail (DOT compliance be damned!), and possibly eliminating the rear fender. I also wanna get a Ram mount for my TomTom, but gently caress that until I've got a job again...

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Woop woop, '06 ex250. So far, most of the modifications it's got were done by the PO. Louder horn, brake light modulator, and removing the flames. He gave me the fender eliminator kit he made, and I'll probably end up having to use it because my rear left blinker likes to fall out. gently caress.

Right now she lives under my scary stairs, I swear someone's going to die bringing furniture up or down those someday.

Recent mods include:

Dinged tank and...

...scraped and cracked fairing™, courtesy of me not knowing what the gently caress. Oh well, I know slightly more wtf now.

Oh, also a sweet new tank bag. The only trick is finding an atlas to actually fit in the drat thing. (GPS is for wienies people with money)

ninja edit: i also got bored and put stickers on it. A couple more trips on the highway and they'll all be gone it's looking like. Until then, it's the rare Kawasaki Ziljdian/ Pearl.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Methusulah posted:

...scraped and cracked fairing™, courtesy of me not knowing what the gently caress. Oh well, I know slightly more wtf now.

ninja edit: i also got bored and put stickers on it. A couple more trips on the highway and they'll all be gone it's looking like. Until then, it's the rare Kawasaki Ziljdian/ Pearl.

We've all got that scrape on the fairing, at least I do. It's like exactly the same. I'll grab a photo tomorrow. Oh and did somebody say STICKERS?!?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
My bike is jealous of your stickers. She won't shut the hell up about getting her own. It's always "vroom vroom stickers vroom vroom" all drat day.

Edit: It's worth the trip way the hell out there for that pie town sticker. Was that Arizona or New mexico?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Methusulah posted:

My bike is jealous of your stickers. She won't shut the hell up about getting her own. It's always "vroom vroom stickers vroom vroom" all drat day.

Edit: It's worth the trip way the hell out there for that pie town sticker. Was that Arizona or New mexico?

New Mexico off US 60. There are two restaurants that sell sandwiches and pie. That's it. Also go ride it. ;)

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

My old 250, soon to be totaled (if that drat insurance company ever gets around to it).

I hope to get another one, probably the pre-2008 model again, as my old one always treated me well.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Heres something that might be interesting to you US Ninja owners. Its my brother in laws 08' Ninja 250 ZZR. I don't think you get this model down south. I don't know much more about it other than that it sounds like an angry bee and handles awesome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

We've all got that scrape on the fairing, at least I do. It's like exactly the same. I'll grab a photo tomorrow.

Mine is on the right side.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Upside to no fairing: no side scrape (yes I had that scrape too. Everybody does)
Downside to no fairing: where to put stickers?

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

blugu64 posted:

New Mexico off US 60. There are two restaurants that sell sandwiches and pie. That's it. Also go ride it. ;)

I don't have a Ninja 250, but, I can say US 60 is awesome, at least west of Phoenix. The area around Superior and Globe has some fantastic scenery.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
First new gen 250 post! An '09 250R in Candy Thunder Blue to be exact.

I've only managed a few hundred miles so far in my almost two weeks of ownership, but that will be increasing greatly once I start riding 110 miles round trip in to work.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 6, 2009

NoCleverName
Nov 16, 2006

I've got a Black and Green 05 with 918 miles on it. I haven't actually ridden it yet as it's still being worked on, but I'm close now. Bought it with one broken front turn signal and a whole lot of filth throughout the internals from sitting outside for 2 years without being ridden.

In the process of taking off the wheels and getting the tires replaced with some Sport Demons. I'll grab some pictures tomorrow if I get a chance.

Edit* I've got, in PDF format, the 250 Service Manual Supplement which explains a lot of the mechanical work in much more detail than ninja250.org. I'll upload it somewhere if I can get confirmation from a mod that it doesn't count as filez.

Edit2* Anyone know whether the front axle bolt on the 250 is 22 or 23mm? The 24 I got for the back is too big and the 21 I have is too small. I can't seem to find the info on the internet anywhere.

NoCleverName fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 5, 2009

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
My '08. Also included is my less than stellar lawn.

Bought it with in flawless condition with 1800 miles a few months ago. Put about 2k more on so far. I'm already starting to get bored with it, though :(

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

NoCleverName posted:

I've got a Black and Green 05 with 918 miles on it. I haven't actually ridden it yet as it's still being worked on, but I'm close now. Bought it with one broken front turn signal and a whole lot of filth throughout the internals from sitting outside for 2 years without being ridden.

In the process of taking off the wheels and getting the tires replaced with some Sport Demons. I'll grab some pictures tomorrow if I get a chance.

Edit* I've got, in PDF format, the 250 Service Manual Supplement which explains a lot of the mechanical work in much more detail than ninja250.org. I'll upload it somewhere if I can get confirmation from a mod that it doesn't count as filez.

Edit2* Anyone know whether the front axle bolt on the 250 is 22 or 23mm? The 24 I got for the back is too big and the 21 I have is too small. I can't seem to find the info on the internet anywhere.

Ninja250.org says 22mm.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

What do the rest of you J guys have your rear shock preload set at? I currently have mine at "3" and it has made a night and day difference from the stock "1" setting, even "2" felt like a world of difference. I'm debating on moving up to "4" as I think it may be just about perfect as it is, but I won't know until I try.

monkeynuts
Sep 14, 2007

2009 250R - bought it new about a month ago. I followed the suggested break-in for all of one day... after that I decided to just ride it normally, varying the RPMs, etc.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

I installed a fender eliminator right away, and had a few other things planned (new exhaust, jet kit, ss brake lines, etc.) but I think this will be it - planning to trade up to something slightly bigger next season.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Any of you guys with the newer 250 ever ridden one of the older models care to compare the seat?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

monkeynuts posted:

2009 250R - bought it new about a month ago. I followed the suggested break-in for all of one day... after that I decided to just ride it normally, varying the RPMs, etc.

As soon as I saw that 4k RPM in 6th gear was ~35mph I gave up even bothering with the break in procedure. I just try to keep the RPMs low and vary them as much as the long straight roads around here allow.

Which fender eliminator did you go with? Any problems with the install? Outside of a fender eliminator and a double bubble screen I don't really have any mods planned for mine. I just can't see paying $500 for an exhaust and $90 for a jet kit for 3hp and more noise. I plan on having a local tuner fix the lean spot once I get a few more break-in miles on the bike, but that's pretty much it for "power" mods. Any particular reason you want stainless brake lines?

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 6, 2009

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
03 Ninja 250 with best color and paint scheme of them all :) The day I got it for $1700 with about 1500 miles on it

A year and 10k miles or so on a ride up Palomar mountain

The little 250 was beating 600rr's down the mountain, I actually got some brake fade.

It always seemed to have pinging issues, which I suspect was from too much ignition advance. I enriched the carbs with the little washers under the needles but never got it to not ping. I melted a few sets of plugs and then after about 12k miles I was riding home on the freeway and I lost a cylinder, I tried to limp it home but at 8k rpm or so it threw a rod and punched a hole in the block. I sold it for a few hundred with a perfect body/fairings and blown motor.

It was the perfect bike to start on, I made so many stupid mistakes but since it's a 250 nothing happened. I recommend anybody up to 280 lbs to start on this bike and learn to ride properly.

aventari fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 6, 2009

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
What's y'alls opinion on aftermarket screens? I'm 5'9" and going highway speeds is killer and I'm not looking forward to any long distance rides with the stock screen. I've been thinking of the zero gravity double bubble, but I don't want to drop 100 bucks on a screen that had this review on ninja250.org

quote:

I got the DB and it definitely makes for nicer tucking; you can stick your head down there and get out of the wind completely. You won't get too much of an improvement besides that. I'm 5'6".

edit: http://www.mikesshields.com/ the euro model is pretty tempting. Cheaper too.

Methusulah fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 7, 2009

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Methusulah posted:

What's y'alls opinion on aftermarket screens? I'm 5'9" and going highway speeds is killer and I'm not looking forward to any long distance rides with the stock screen. I've been thinking of the zero gravity double bubble, but I don't want to drop 100 bucks on a screen that had this review on ninja250.org

edit: http://www.mikesshields.com/ the euro model is pretty tempting. Cheaper too.

i think it depends on how much long distance stuff you're going to do. I knew I'd only have the bike for a while so I resisted trying to mod it out and waited to do upgrades my next, better bike.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had a GPX250 as my first bike. Got stolen after 6 weeks, 1 of which was spent in the workshop after I had my first noob crash. Had it recovered 15 months later in better condition than it was when it got nicked, and promptly sold it back to the poor sap who'd bought and tried to register it after a REVS check had failed to show it as stolen. He wound paying $4k AUD for a 92 GPX. gently caress it felt like a pile of arse to ride compared to the ZX-6R I had at the time. Felt I was riding a couch and the front seemed about 2 metres long.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
me and my 2004 EX250

I am going to be replacing the clutch lever either tonight or tomorrow. ninja250.org is a brilliant site, but often gives you waaayyy more info than necessary. After that I think I'll swap the brake pads and then touch up the mufflers which got scratched in two tip overs.

Lets see, what more can i say? My bike tops out at about 105 mph or so. This was on route 5 (flat and straight), full tuck with the throttle alllll the way open. I don't expect I will ever be going that fast.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

BlueBayou posted:

ninja250.org is a brilliant site, but often gives you waaayyy more info than necessary.

This is very true, you really have to be able to sift through the guides and figure out which steps might just be overkill for your situation. I like that it has too much, instead of too little info though.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Another "started on a 250"er here. They're great bikes when they're running nicely. I convinced two my friends to buy bikes the right way and one has a 250 (other has gs500). The 250 was fun to ride again but it's been a bitch to get running right for someone with lack of carb knowledge. In it's current state it starts very easy and idles well with choke on some, but as it warms it wants to die.

We've:
Adjusted the valves. Bike had 11k and it probably never had been done, all valves were tight. Made starting easy but dies when hot, which, annoyingly enough, is usually touted as a symptom of tight valves.
Cleaned the carbs. And by that I mean, when we got into the carbs and they were spotlessly clean even after sitting for nearly a year with no prep. Cleaned them anyways.
New plugs and fresh gas. One of the old plugs was literally missing part of the electrode or whatever you call it, but it still sparked.
New batt, for good measure.
Nothing obvious like leaky gas from a stuck float but I can't figure out what gives.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

frozenphil posted:

What do the rest of you J guys have your rear shock preload set at? I currently have mine at "3" and it has made a night and day difference from the stock "1" setting, even "2" felt like a world of difference. I'm debating on moving up to "4" as I think it may be just about perfect as it is, but I won't know until I try.
I have mine set to 1, when I bought it it was set to 5. 1 feels good to me, but I'm 5'8" 125 soo..

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Lookie lookie what daddy just brought home :)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Where do you plan on going with THAT

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Anywhere I feel like ;)

Serious answer. I'm going camping with a few friends around labor day and will probably be riding on gravel/dirt/sand. I'm still debating which front tire I want to get to go with it.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

blugu64 posted:

Anywhere I feel like ;)

Serious answer. I'm going camping with a few friends around labor day and will probably be riding on gravel/dirt/sand. I'm still debating which front tire I want to get to go with it.

thats a Duro dual sport, right? 60% road 40% off road. I just replaced a set of these I had on my KLR. they seem to be good tires especially considering the price you can get them for. I replaced them with continental TCK80s, not sure if I really like them yet, will have to use them for awhile to make sure though.

Those Duros do alright on gravel, well the rear did, the front was seemed a little "loose" in the gravel. Run lower pressures in them when you are in the gravel and you should have fun.

Post pics of the tires mounted on the 250.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Anyone got an upper fairing for sale? Preferably 06 black, and not in multiple pieces :(

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

SuperSlant6 posted:

thats a Duro dual sport, right? 60% road 40% off road. I just replaced a set of these I had on my KLR. they seem to be good tires especially considering the price you can get them for. I replaced them with continental TCK80s, not sure if I really like them yet, will have to use them for awhile to make sure though.

Those Duros do alright on gravel, well the rear did, the front was seemed a little "loose" in the gravel. Run lower pressures in them when you are in the gravel and you should have fun.

Post pics of the tires mounted on the 250.

This man knows his tires, respect. Ya it's a Duro Dualsport 60/40. I'm kinda anxious to see how they'll perform on that beach, so here's hoping. Even if it doesn't do too hot, I'm going to find some trails and have some fun with it. I'll definitely be posting pics when I dualsporterize the ninja :cheers:

Sloppy posted:

Anyone got an upper fairing for sale? Preferably 06 black, and not in multiple pieces :(

Stay away from my motorcycle :ohdear:

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 8, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not to rain on your parade, blugu, but from what I've read (not experience), it's better to put the DS tire on the front, and use a road tire on the back, if you're only doing one. That way the front is supposed to track accurately in the loose stuff, and the back end can do whatever it wants as long as it's vaguely pushing forward.

Of course that may change for the beach, given that you need to keep speed up. Also for what you can find available in 250-size tires of course.

Also if Tsaven can ride a Virago to the north slope pretty much any bike can go drat near anywhere so don't take me too seriously

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Phy posted:

Not to rain on your parade, blugu, but from what I've read (not experience), it's better to put the DS tire on the front, and use a road tire on the back, if you're only doing one. That way the front is supposed to track accurately in the loose stuff, and the back end can do whatever it wants as long as it's vaguely pushing forward.

This is probably the worst advise ever provided and the most common misunderstanding. For all vehicles (cars, scooters, mopeds, bicycles, motorcycles and skateboards) friction between the asphalt and your rear tire(s) is way more important than the grip of your front (steering) tire(s). Please draw a vector force diagram to back up this stupid urban legend. I need a good laugh.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Blaster of Justice posted:

This is probably the worst advise ever provided and the most common misunderstanding. For all vehicles (cars, scooters, mopeds, bicycles, motorcycles and skateboards) friction between the asphalt and your rear tire(s) is way more important than the grip of your front (steering) tire(s). Please draw a vector force diagram to back up this stupid urban legend. I need a good laugh.

I've always heard/read that you can slide the rear around, but if the front washes out, you're on your rear end, is this not true? Also, I think he's talking about dirt, not asphalt.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

It's kinda moot point anyway as I'm looking at a few dual sporty tires for the front anyway.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Sloppy posted:

I've always heard/read that you can slide the rear around, but if the front washes out, you're on your rear end, is this not true? Also, I think he's talking about dirt, not asphalt.

The way I understand it is that the rear is also the tire where all the power is generated, which is the first thing that needs grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Here's me being a cool kid. gently caress no passing rules in beginner groups. I got pissed at a 1098 who passed me in a corner (you weren't supposed to) and had to blow by him on the exit of the bowl at streets of willow. I am the best. Or something...

• Locked thread