Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Listened to the album on iTunes radio. It's got some decent songs but overall it feels too much like The Fame, which is a huge step backwards. I liked almost all of Fame Monster and Born This Way whereas I only like maybe 5-6 songs off this. The only song I'm really in love with is the title track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/lady-gaga-to-sing-in-space-in-2015-2013611

US Magazine posted:

No one ever said she was down-to-earth! In early 2015, Lady Gaga will become the first artist to sing in outer space, Us Weekly can exclusively reveal.
The "Dope" performer, 27, is set to blast off in a Virgin Galactic ship and belt out a single track during the Zero G Colony tech festival in New Mexico. "She has to do a month of vocal training because of the atmosphere," says a source, who adds that the diva's glam squad will join her in the shuttle.

Zero G Colony is a three-day hi-tech festival set to take place at Spaceport America in New Mexico that features world-class entertainment and cutting-edge technology. Gaga's performance in space is planned to take place on the third day at dawn, which is approximately six months after the first Virgin Galactic commercial flight.

A source says the historic event will be "like nothing the world has seen before."

And just in case the force isn't with the pop star, a source tells Us, "Gaga has taken out a ridiculous life insurance policy!"
So I guess she's preparing for "Machete Kills Again... In Space!"

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

fuseshock posted:

Just ask your gay friends their advice before you get a spray tan on holiday in Taipei. :confused:

This song should've replaced both Donatella and Fashion! -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGTKtqtXeE

Yeah the one linked is definitely a more fun song, very 'Just Dance-y'. The current Fashion riffs from the 'Get Lucky' song.

Some random thoughts:
Pretty big fan of Manicure, that guitar riff does it for me.

The G.U.Y./ Girl Under You & Manicure/Man Cure is kinda stupid in how 'obvious' it is, but pretty funny at the same time.

I mostly enjoying the album for how exploratory it is, even though Gaga is not an expert at the genres she's jumping into and doesn't dive too deeply. I can understand why people think she's 'tryhard' for doing this (it's not like she's the best rapper or cabaret singer).

Still, I think it's inspirational because the broad undertaking is not easy and I'm curious where this kind of journey would lead. People tell you that it takes 10 years to be truly on top of the field and it'll be interesting to see if we'll get the same passionate Lady Gaga in the future.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

TOOT BOOT posted:

Listened to the album on iTunes radio. It's got some decent songs but overall it feels too much like The Fame, which is a huge step backwards. I liked almost all of Fame Monster and Born This Way whereas I only like maybe 5-6 songs off this. The only song I'm really in love with is the title track.

That's basically how I feel. When The Fame came out, it sounded like "pop music", but it had a freshness to it. When The Fame Monster came out, it sounded so unique and fresh and awesome. Born This Way was a step back to just making pop, and Artpop sounds like Lady Gaga trying really hard to sound like Lady Gaga.

I'm sort of disappointed, but there are definitely some gems on the album.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I was weak and couldn't wait. I'm glad about that though... the album is amazing.
I think 'Gypsy' might actually be my favourite so far... that and 'Swine'. There's not really a bad track on there though.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I'm over halfway through and this album pretty much sucks compared to her older stuff, and kind of just sucks as music. Almost every single song uses that fuzzy synth I'm not entirely sure of the name of, which gets really old after the first couple tracks, and the entire thing just feels pretty uninspired. It's a huge step back from Born This Way.

Artpop also uses virtually the same melody as Dance in the Dark at a couple points, except it's not as good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is probably my least favourite album of hers.

I love Aura, Venus, Applause and Artpop, but literally none of the other songs do anything for me at all.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've gone most of the way through it on the first listen and it just feels really shallow to me so far. It does make me want to dance more than any of the other albums though so I guess that's a thing?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Judging the album by the "shallow" subject matter is itself a shallow approach to take. She's talking about some shallow subjects throughout but in the end she rejects all that, deciding that she lives for the applause (to perform) instead.

Also there's at least one section in each song that thwarts the easy straight-forward interpretations and introduces some ambiguity, contradiction, or ambivalence.

Anyway, new rumor is Gaga will be performing in space in 2015: http://t.co/1aZhf8AXbM

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 6, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lord Krangdar posted:

Judging the album by the "shallow" subject matter is itself a shallow approach to take. She's talking about some shallow subjects throughout but in the end she rejects all that, deciding that she lives for the applause (to perform) instead.

Also there's at least one line in each song that thwarts the easy straight-forward interpretation and introduces some ambiguity, contradiction, or ambivalence.

Anyway, new rumor is Gaga will be performing in space in 2015: http://t.co/1aZhf8AXbM

Oh I'm completely aware that the album is, in itself, self-aware about the materialism, etc; but that's not the shallowness I was refering to. Musically there's not a whole lot that is impressing me and that's a first for a Gaga album.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

weekly font posted:

Oh I'm completely aware that the album is, in itself, self-aware about the materialism, etc; but that's not the shallowness I was refering to. Musically there's not a whole lot that is impressing me and that's a first for a Gaga album.

Oh, ok I see. Sorry to assume.

The best musical details to me are all in the background of the title track. That's some gorgeous ear candy.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

She's in a weird position right now, she made the fame which is still to this day her best selling work, then fame monster which was a bit of a departure from The Fame, and then Born This Way which was COMPLETELY different and in doing so she lost so many fans and gained so many at the same time.

I've been browsing different forums, and Artpop is just about as polarizing, with people who liked BTW kind of being disappointed with the album, and people who preferred Fame-Ga loving her again.

I agree Artpop sounds like a step backward, but I also think it was a bit necessary so she doesn't lose the fanbase who put her on the map to begin with. It's a pretty safe album for her, and while Gaga is usually a risk taker, I could see why she decided to make an album with a more radio appealing sound.

I like this album, I wasn't wow'ed like with BTW though (honestly i love that album, and it seems like MOST of her fanbase hated it) but it's a fun record and I absolutely love a few tracks.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
The thing is, I'm just generally very happy to have a pop star for whom an album like this can be considered safe.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

Even though I love this album, anyone else found it somewhat exhausting/tiresome to listen to?

Yes. I listened to the album with good headphones and had a headache after the third song.

gucci void main posted:

I'm over halfway through and this album pretty much sucks compared to her older stuff, and kind of just sucks as music. Almost every single song uses that fuzzy synth I'm not entirely sure of the name of, which gets really old after the first couple tracks, and the entire thing just feels pretty uninspired.

My husband and I have each listened to the album twice (not twice in a row, that would be suicide) and think it sucks. I think Venus has a catchy chorus and Gypsy is a good song, and he likes Applause, but we both independently came to the conclusion that the most of album sounds more like noise than music. Gaga needs to stop being such a try-hard wannabe unique disfigured space mutant with intimacy problems and get back to trying hard at making good pop music. She was pretty good at that.

I thought Katy Perry's CD was underwhelming (though I love Roar) and Gaga had this one in the bag, but I never would have imagined that she could release such a horrible album. My initial impressions (posted a couple pages ago, if anyone cares) were not positive, but they were guarded because I thought this might be the kind of album that had to grow on me. It's not. If Artpop were her first album there is no way she would have become famous.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Lord Krangdar posted:

Sarah Brightman is gonna be pissed. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/classicalmusic/9955313/Sarah-Brightman-Soprano-in-space.html

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
To me, it's clear that she's surrounded by yes men. When she had less control over her music, it was way better. She needs to realize that she can't make great music on her own. ARTPOP, Venus, and DWUW are good--but I agree that the others just sound like noise.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Maximusi posted:

To me, it's clear that she's surrounded by yes men. When she had less control over her music, it was way better. She needs to realize that she can't make great music on her own. ARTPOP, Venus, and DWUW are good--but I agree that the others just sound like noise.

After listening to this album some more times, I can't agree more with this statement. I also agree with a previous poster about that she needs to get off her whole thing about being a crazy fashionista alien, and just start making music. I get that it's her art and it's fully understandable that she would make an album like ARTPOP, but when she's surrounded only by yes-men she will make some mistakes. A Norwegian music journalist said it better than I could, "The album stopped being "LOOK at me, it's become look at ME.""

I do like this album, but I've only been listening to a few select songs because some of the other songs are giving me headaches really.

Gypsy's still one hell of a song. It's just so fun :3:.

Edit: I mean, The Fame, TFM and Born This Way was full of Gaga being Gaga and it's clear that she had some guidelines and help from her producers when creating the music as it didn't went off to become way too overproduced(overproduction being the keyword for this album). Highway Unicorn is a great example of this as it's clearly not a typical pop song, but it was still fun for what it was. The whole of The Fame and the Fame Monster are also good examples of this.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 7, 2013

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011
I didn't think there would be people that considered G.U.Y. "noise", but here we are. Well I'm enjoying the album, I think it is a nice reel-back to more danceable music while still maintaining some grit.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
If you guys think this album sounds like noise, then you really need to listen to some real noise music.

This album is way, way, way better than Born This Way, which had a few good tracks (most of which just ripped off the melodies of Express Yourself or Bad Romance) and some lousy trying-too-hard message songs. I'd hardly call myself a Gaga fan, but I've been digging this album.

RequiemDream
Nov 2, 2013
Hi, I'm Azure_Horizon and I'm literally a rapist.

Maximusi posted:

This is basically why ARTPOP is another disappointing album. I'd rather she had some creative control and restraint than just go hog wild with no one to tell her she's going the wrong way.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Surfingelectrode posted:

This album is way, way, way better than Born This Way, which had a few good tracks (most of which just ripped off the melodies of Express Yourself or Bad Romance) and some lousy trying-too-hard message songs. I'd hardly call myself a Gaga fan, but I've been digging this album.

Yep. To go full on Radiohead thread-style album rankings, Fame Monster > Artpop > The Fame > BTW.

BTW had a handful of "interesting" tracks (Government Hooker owns once and then is boring forever) but for the most part sounded like an ok pop album from the mid-90s (outside of Judas, which is total ownage). This sounds like what a pop album should be in 2013 and a proper evolution of her sound. I don't understand how anyone could think this is going backwards.

I also continue to be baffled by dislike for "Fashion"; it's my favorite track on the album. The piano line, bass, and that loving guitar synth that sounds like it came right out of Aerodynamic :allears:

e: also I wasn't impressed with the live version of Sex Dreams but the production on this studio version is amazing, maybe some of the densest on any Gaga track

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 7, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Now I understand why the talk of this being a double album was quietly dropped a while back, there's not even a single album's worth of quality material here. It would make a very good EP if you cut all the filler.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
I've been playing ARTPOP in my hour long commutes in my car and I usually skip through everything and hit repeat on GUY, Venus, and Mary Jane Holland. I think Dope is decent. I don't really get the appeal of Gypsy but alright. Lyrically weak album but acoustically good?

snackpants
Sep 3, 2009

Watch how fast I type "motherfucker."
It's been fascinating reading the polarized reviews of this album. Honestly, I'm pretty into it. Maybe I'm not hearing the horrible production/vocals/lyrics some people are (though yes, the lyrics haven't been, on the whole, brilliant). The songs from BTW that I love, I LOVE, but that's still only around half the album. I'm liking most songs on here except for 2-3. I'm also apparently one of the few people who don't love TF or TFM even, though that might have to do with her image around the beginning of her popularity grating on me.

I also can't think of another mainstream artist for whom more people say their career is over with an album release (BTW, Artpop). It just makes me anticipate more what the next move is - hopefully not an actual career killer.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

snackpants posted:

It just makes me anticipate more what the next move is - hopefully not an actual career killer.
I want either a stripped down piano album or full-on goth rock :rock: . She has the vocal chops for both.

Placebo is one of my favorite bands and since they have a fairly new album, I've also been listening to them a lot. Given their respective styles, I'd love to see her do a song with them, but I'm sure they probably hate her.

I'm still digging the album. "Fashion!" is probably my least favorite. I don't hate it, but I've yet to get into it.

snackpants posted:

I also can't think of another mainstream artist for whom more people say their career is over with an album release (BTW, Artpop). It just makes me anticipate more what the next move is - hopefully not an actual career killer.
IIRC, there were some reviews of The Killers' third album (Day and Age) that predicted it was the end for them, but I think those were all pre-written because Sam's Town would have been hard for any band to follow up.

EDIT: Wrong emoticon.

Taliaquin fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 8, 2013

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
You monster, how can you not absolutely love Fashion

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gypsy was the track of the album for me. Absolutely gorgeous song.

A few posts ago I referred to the album as shallow, mostly musically, and after a few more listens I'd like to go back and refine that and say that I do actually think it's kinda shallow thematically and lyrically as well. Yes, I'm aware that it's being satirical with its focus on fashion and materialism. But lines like "I'm rich but I'm a bit of a bitch" aren't doing anything to further the satirical aspect. It's toothless to just say "I'm this thing. Nah just kidding that thing can actually be kinda bad!"

I still enjoy the album but it's a significant step down in my eyes.

snackpants posted:

Gaga has dug her heels into an intensely devoted audience. She isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I'm even more convinced after listening to this a few times through that Gaga's next step is to drop the Gaga business and go back to being a talented singer/songwriter. Her shock and satire thing is over as far as being interesting or challenging goes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

I'm even more convinced after listening to this a few times through that Gaga's next step is to drop the Gaga business and go back to being a talented singer/songwriter. Her shock and satire thing is over as far as being interesting or challenging goes.

Because being yet another girl with a piano is somehow interesting or challenging?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I'm really looking forward to her jazz album with Tony. I think it'll be something I'll play over and over.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

TheJoker138 posted:

Because being yet another girl with a piano is somehow interesting or challenging?

Nothing about crazy hair and wild dresses is interesting or challenging.

edit: ^^ - yeah the Tony Bennett duet is something I'm really looking forward to. You can be "interesting and challenging" by reimagining musical styles and challenging listener conceptions and ideas without being as wild and crazy as humanly possible.

We know she can be out there and eccentric, so why not just let the performance and the music speak for itself instead of requiring increasingly bizarre antics to go along with it?

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 7, 2013

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Platypus Farm posted:

We know she can be out there and eccentric, so why not just let the performance and the music speak for itself instead of requiring increasingly bizarre antics to go along with it?

Why can't I have both? I'm quite happy with Artpop. I don't get this whole "let's turn her into dreary singer/songwriter #742" idea at all.

Dreamlogic
May 11, 2007

I wanted to like this album and gave it a few fair listens, but it's pretty bad. Some of the production is well-done and her voice sounds great, but the songwriting is lazy and often borderline-nonexistent. People keep talking about the "hooks" but honestly I don't hear any. It's just paint-by-numbers chord progressions with her often stringing out one phrase or word into a chorus. (A few exceptions: Aura, Venus, Applause, but they're still not particular memorable.) It's also overcompressed to hell, which is why it's tiring to listen to. (LOUDNESS WARZ) And some of the lyrics (Donatella, Fashion) are so grating I feel like they have to be tongue-in-cheek, but there's no indication that that's the intention. Just a mess.

I guess a lot of people love it... I think it might boil down to whether you just enjoy hearing Gaga's voice over a dance beat and a wall of noise, or whether you care about songwriting. I know that sounds snotty but, well.

(I do love Fame Monster and Born This Way and I think they are both musically solid so I'm not some pop hater.)

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

DominoDancing posted:

Why can't I have both? I'm quite happy with Artpop. I don't get this whole "let's turn her into dreary singer/songwriter #742" idea at all.

I'm just stating my opinion, but her eccentricity is starting to feel more like she's doing it because that's what her market expects rather than because she really feels it. I could absolutely be wrong, but it is starting to feel like something she's forced into. Again, just offering my opinion, not trying to state a fact because, you know, I don't know her.

Also, I don't really understand why singer/songwriters have to be dreary? Or why it necessitates her only using a piano?

edit: Yeah Dreamlogic's opinion is pretty much the one I have. I was talking to a friend about it today, and neither of us think it's a BAD album, it's just not really fresh and interesting enough to be the result of... what? Two or three years of work and a nearly constant hype stream starting in July, that's all.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Dreamlogic posted:

And some of the lyrics (Donatella, Fashion) are so grating I feel like they have to be tongue-in-cheek, but there's no indication that that's the intention.

Of course it's tongue in cheek.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

weekly font posted:

Yes, I'm aware that it's being satirical with its focus on fashion and materialism. But lines like "I'm rich but I'm a bit of a bitch" aren't doing anything to further the satirical aspect. It's toothless to just say "I'm this thing. Nah just kidding that thing can actually be kinda bad!"

I'm pretty sure that line is about Donatella Versace, not Gaga. And I don't think the song is meant to be satirical as much as its Gaga honestly expressing her ambivalent feelings about the subject matter, like much of the album.

If The Fame was about her fantasy idea of being rich, famous, superficial and sexy then ARTPOP is Gaga revisiting those same themes now that she actually is famous, taking them all full circle. She doesn't deny her continued fascination with that lifestyle, but by the end of the album she has rejected all but two of the "highs" she gets from that life. Fame is worth it because it connects her with a receptive audience, and that's what she decides she lives for above everything else.

So the song Donatella should be understood in that context: Gaga doesn't deny Donatella's charisma ("magic") or her own fascination with that "fab, rich, blonde" lifestyle, but she doesn't deny the uncomfortable aspects as well.

Platypus Farm posted:

Can you give a recent example of what you mean? From what I've seen for the most part her antics and way of dressing have been decreasingly bizarre and relatively stripped down this entire album era. You would never have seen looking her like this, with her real hair even, when she was promoting Born This Way or The Fame Monster:

If you just classify all that stuff as bizarre and stop there I can see why it would stop being interesting really fast, but usually she seems to be expressing ideas with her outfits, props, performances, etc. She's rarely just being weird for the sake of it or for shock, and even those times are just for fun. I think she honestly enjoys the art and creativity of fashion. If you're rich and can do whatever you want, why not enjoy it and go wild sometimes?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 8, 2013

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Giving it my first spin. Fame Monster is my favorite because it's so incredibly tight, no bullshit no fluff. Thought Born This Way had some good tracks but was a sprawl-et mess. Some of my favorite albums, and works in general are often big sprawling self indigent wanks but Born This Way just wasn't pretentious enough to pull it off. This is much better. The arrangements are fantastic and dense, lots of great weird synth sounds, real burbly organic-ey tones. The songs are overall better than Born This Way.

Artpop is a groovy cut. This might end up being my 2nd favorite of her albums.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Skilleddk posted:

You monster, how can you not absolutely love Fashion
It just hasn't grabbed me yet. I'm actually listening to it right this moment. I think it will just take a while to grow on me.

Lord Krangdar posted:

If you just classify all that stuff as bizarre and stop there I can see why it would stop being interesting really fast, but usually she seems to be expressing ideas with her outfits, props, performances, etc. She's rarely just being weird for the sake of it or for shock, and even those times are just for fun. I think she honestly enjoys the art and creativity of fashion. If you're rich and can do whatever you want, why not enjoy it and go wild sometimes?
To add to this, I think it should also be remembered that she has a background in performance art. Hard to believe considering her initial pop image in The Fame, but that's where she's coming from aesthetically.

I'm one of those people who sees fashion as having the potential to be an artistic medium, not just clothing. She was McQueen's muse for a reason, and his fashion was very much about art. I love Gaga's style. Hell, I'd probably dress like that if I had that much money Since I don't, I'll have to continue looking like the broke-rear end version of Helena Bonham Carter, please adopt me, Vivienne Westwood.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Taliaquin posted:

It just hasn't grabbed me yet. I'm actually listening to it right this moment. I think it will just take a while to grow on me.

To add to this, I think it should also be remembered that she has a background in performance art. Hard to believe considering her initial pop image in The Fame, but that's where she's coming from aesthetically.

I'm one of those people who sees fashion as having the potential to be an artistic medium, not just clothing. She was McQueen's muse for a reason, and his fashion was very much about art. I love Gaga's style. Hell, I'd probably dress like that if I had that much money Since I don't, I'll have to continue looking like the broke-rear end version of Helena Bonham Carter, please adopt me, Vivienne Westwood.

That's fair enough.

To be specific - I might be old and boring, but when I see someone with a four foot tall wig dressed up like Venus De Milo, my first though is "trying too hard to be weird." I'm NOT talking about the stage shows. Of course you get theatrical and out there and wild and crazy on stage because, you know, that's the point. But it makes very little sense in what are supposed to be intimate things, interviews and so on, to usually appear in some kind of wild costume.

I'm really not trying to be down on her, because to be totally honest I doubt many 27 year olds would act much differently if given carte blanche to do whatever they wanted. poo poo, I probably would have done the same thing. And again, it's not because I don't see the artistic value in fashion or anything like that. I'm thinking "at what point do you have to take a step back?" You know? Like, at what point is there essentially no turning back to something that's sustainable into her 40s, 50s, 80s?

But yeah, sorry, my past points were certainly too vague. I don't mean she's like obnoxious or grating or whatever RIGHT NOW, I'm badly phrasing thoughts about the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
Did you guys all torrent a leak of the album, or something? As far as I'm aware, it doesn't come out until November 11th.

• Locked thread