Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
I'm disappointed it wasn't a 10 minute documentary and it really needs an epilepsy warning in the front of the video. Also there were no naked men and synchronized dance moves. Or wild costumes.

0 out of 100 gagas.

Maybe 70/100 new gagas though.

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
Lady Gaga half time Superbowl show!

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/lady-gaga-will-perform-during-super-bowl-halftime-show/

Where do I bet on openers, costumes, etc?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

She's starting to play snippets of other songs -

This one is called "Just Another Day"

Edit: previous link wasnt working anymore, try this

https://m.soundcloud.com/lmddawson/justanotherday

She says it's called John Ivy but she was just being funny.

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 5, 2016

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

somnambulist posted:

She's starting to play snippets of other songs -

This one is called "Just Another Day"

Edit: previous link wasnt working anymore, try this

https://m.soundcloud.com/lmddawson/justanotherday

She says it's called John Ivy but she was just being funny.

That link doesn't seem to work anymore but there is a snippet of her singing it on Ryan Seacrest's show here: http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7533339/lady-gaga-previews-just-another-day-song-stream

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

https://streamable.com/pjl9

loving awesome new song. Sinners prayer. Can't wait to hear the studio version.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

New song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYRJ-ryPEu0

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That was a really good song.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Is the whole album going to have a country twang to it, or is just the treatment she's giving the songs while in a live Nashville setting?

"Sinner's Prayer" is freaking awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0qdfIdQuBg&t=230s

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 6, 2016

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
'A-Yo' oh man, it's awesome. haha. My favorite new one so far, caught me a bit off guard. I was not expecting that.

edit: everybody hold up their Bud Light!

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 7, 2016

Fart Jockey
Aug 13, 2010
Can someone please explain what the thread title means? Its been driving me crazy for the past few years

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Fart Jockey posted:

Can someone please explain what the thread title means? Its been driving me crazy for the past few years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g29seKqECJQ

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Don't forget to look at this photo while listening to it:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

New song - A-Yo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANy...w&v=Hb6MdbZ6hn0

I think this should have been the lead single, it's a lot more catchy and radio friendly.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The album leaked. It is FANTASTIC. How the gently caress did Perfect Illusion become the lead? It works on the album, but some of these other songs are 5983759375x more catchy.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Really love the new album and seconding the confusion as to why they picked "Perfect Illusion" as the lead single. I don't think this album has the massive hits people probably wanted from a Gaga album, but I feel comfortable in saying that this is her best, most consistent, and most mature album. Favorite track so far is "Sinner's Prayer".

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Come to Mama takes me back to being in my moms car and listening to her favorite Oldies station. Nostalgic, so many feels.

My favorite song on the album is either John Wayne, Come to Mama, Sinners Prayer, or A-Yo.

Honestly, Perfect Illusion shouldn't even really be on this album.

I was so nervous about the album, but I'm glad she delivered. It's so good.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
Diamond Heart is one of the best songs she's ever done and should have been the leading single, there I said it.

The album reminds me of LEMONADE a bit in terms of genre-mixing and the honesty of the lyrics. I'm pleasantly surprised.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Boob Dylan posted:

Diamond Heart is one of the best songs she's ever done and should have been the leading single, there I said it.

Agreein with this. I also loved Perfect Illusion but Million Reasons is sorta meh to me.
Angel down is also blowing my mind right now, especially the electronic elements.

ETA: Hey does anybody else think Dancing in Circle is about masturbation? I mean, I'm pretty sure....

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 17, 2016

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Where did you guys get a link? Can't find one anywhere.

Edit: Finally got it.

Maximusi fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 18, 2016

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I just love Hey Girl :allears:

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
^ Me too. God, this album is not at all what I expected. I'm getting a lot of 60s, 70s vibes from a few of the songs, but I love that poo poo. Does this mean she's leaving dance/electronic music for good?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I thought Perfect Illusion sounded like a pretty good little Eurovision-ish pop track but A-Yo is absolute trash, like someone threw the horn section of an Amy Winehouse track on top of a rejected Taylor Swift single. Not surprised she'd revert to pop boredom after the flop of Artpop, but still disappointing, especially with Ronson having so-recently released a very solid pop record of his own.

I'll give the album a shot of course but posts like

quote:

Come to Mama takes me back to being in my moms car and listening to her favorite Oldies station. Nostalgic, so many feels.

or

quote:

^ Me too. God, this album is not at all what I expected. I'm getting a lot of 60s, 70s vibes from a few of the songs, but I love that poo poo. Does this mean she's leaving dance/electronic music for good?

make me assume it's going to be absolutely terrible, but my mom probably will love it, so there's that I guess

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

*deeply inhales own fart*

*nods sagely as gently caress*

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
The change is pretty jarring. I agree about A-YO, it's not great. And I'm not a musical critic, but the album does remind me slightly of Amy Winehouse. Ronson mentioned he brought people who worked with her for this album. Anyway, I think she's going to alienate a lot of her fans with this new direction, but I'm sure she'll be grabbing a bunch of new ones with Joanne.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The thing is, this is.....not that different from her early stuff. Come to mama could easily be on Red and Blue. Her voice sounds like her pre-fame days. Same with hey girl, Joanne, and a few others.

I HIGHLY doubt "she's done with electronic pop". She loves experimenting and evolving. She will do something different next.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This album seems good but it's absolutely not "for me" in the same way something like Fame Monster or Artpop is. I was worried she'd go for something overly safe after the failure of the latter and I guess I was right. It says a lot that my favourite moments are when the music does get more crazy like the end of Dancin' in Circles.

Lyrically there's a few too many BTW-esque obnoxious lines where references are given and just expected to be inherently good like the chorus of John Wayne, and Come To Mama is incredibly basic "stop da fights guys", but it's okay.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Wow, this album was definitely not what I was expecting at all but I'm definitely loving it. Come to Mama is such a damned cute song!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

This album is so good and Perfect Illusion is so loving bad it's mindblowing

edit: Confused as to how people are finding this album "safe". A safe album for Gaga would've been 12 Bad Romance-style electronic dance tracks. This is pretty ballsy imo.

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 21, 2016

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

tote up a bags posted:

This album is so good and Perfect Illusion is so loving bad it's mindblowing

edit: Confused as to how people are finding this album "safe". A safe album for Gaga would've been 12 Bad Romance-style electronic dance tracks. This is pretty ballsy imo.

Yeah, safe is Katy Perry using Max Martin....again.

Gaga is alienating her main fan base and taking a giant risk making these songs. Some people love it, and some people are upset there's no "poker face" on the record. We'll see how it does commercially (especially after the super bowl when some of these tracks will probably get played live for 83728372837373737 people)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah it's interesting and different, quite like it so far.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I loooove me some Florence but the track does nothing for her. She needs the big heavy strings of the last Florence And The Machine album or she needs a ballad imo. It's a decent song but I think it's a pretty big waste of her feature. :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After a few more listens I still mostly feel the same. A-YO, Million Reasons, and Perfect Illusion are my favourites in order. John Wayne and Dancin' in Circles have good moments but also at least one poo poo part that ruins it. And I find the rest forgettable, except the title track, which is like active hot garbage.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Joanne is alright, I still really like Perfect Illusion and a few others, but I just went back to listen to Artpop and I like it a hell of a lot more. I like the more electronic sound I guess.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
album is $3.99 via Amazon.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I too am a bit surprised by the overall sound of the album but I dig it. "John Wayne" is probably the only song that makes me wish it wasn't included on the album, this is especially kind of interesting since Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age/Kyuss) had some involvement on that track, I would have never guessed that. I'd say most Gaga albums have a couple of tracks that turn me off, so par for the course.

This is not at all a safe album for Gaga and I'm pleased that she decided to strip things down a bit. I'm not sure I can agree with "country" label getting thrown around, there are some aspects that relate to that genre but I think reaching for that label kind of short changes what is going on with these songs.

I can't wait to see what she's going to do for the Super Bowl.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I....... love John Wayne. I thought it was going to be a favorite but most people seem to not care for it as much. I love the way she screams John Wayne during the second repetition of the chorus. I always crank up the volume when it comes on in my car.

I didn't know Angel Down was about Treyvon Martin. Interesting.

I can't get enough of Come to Mama and Diamond Heart.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

somnambulist posted:

I didn't know Angel Down was about Treyvon Martin. Interesting.

Aww :( I hadn't heard that. In a Rolling Stone interview Mark Ronson said that was the first song she showed him going into this album's sessions.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wow, that was definitely my favorite overall album from her so far on first listen. There isn't a standout song on first listen like Edge Of Glory, but it's a cohesive product that is overall very easy to listen to. There were a couple songs I wasn't crazy about and it all kind of blended together, but this is a refreshing reboot from the too often cacophonous Artpop.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

pizzadog posted:

Hey does anybody else think Dancing in Circle is about masturbation? I mean, I'm pretty sure....

Uh yeah. It opens with "I lay around and touch myself to pass the time..." Then it continues with some not-very-subtle metaphors (not sure if this is the right figure of speech but you know what I mean) for the rest of the song.

I absolutely loved it, btw. Definitely my favorite song on the album. It's the most "Lady Gaga sounding" song on the album, both in terms of sound and the audacious content. If you're looking for 'traditional' Lady Gaga on this album, it's this and Perfect Illusion. I'm in the camp where I like the new sound well enough, but it's not exactly what I listen to Lady Gaga for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"up all night tryna rub the pain out" obviously she's talking about massaging a wound

• Locked thread