Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

well that certainly is a electro europop song

I don't know, with the big pop sensations, there's always a sense of effortless in how they create. They're easy to watch, absorb, and dream about because they seem to transcend what it is to be human.

I don't think Gaga will ever be capable of reaching that level. The effort is the first thing you see with everything she does. Attention to detail should be hidden from the viewer sub consciously, and only on reflection should you see it.

She's certainly very creative, smart, and a very hard worker. She seems to have surrounded herself with people who know how to create cool (I'm sure she's blown half her budget on hiring the most expensive lighting guy in hollywood, lol). But watch her then watch a Rhianna video and don't tell me there isn't a huge gap between showmanship and the effortless display of. She has a brain that's obviously absorbed a lot of information in all aspect, music, pop culture, fashion, whatever. But she may never have the finer touch of putting everything together in a seamless package that tickles the senses without ever needing to point and say "look, how cool is this part here!".

I guess I'll get told to shut the gently caress up and enjoy it, but all I'm saying is we aren't witnessing the birth of a new culture-ripper, and that's certainly what she's trying for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That's an interesting line of argumentation, and I can see where you're coming from. But I'd take certain issues with it, the first being that Gaga and Rihanna are trying to achieve two different things so a direct comparison may not prove fruitful. Admittedly Rihanna is quite talented and has a beautiful voice and technically she's probably a superior singer to Gaga. She's good at what she does.

But if you look at the credits for Music of the Sun, you may see Rihanna's name on a smattering of tracks; you look at The Fame and it's a wall of Gaga -- she's credited on literally every single track.

When you look at a Rihanna music video, you're seeing Rihanna performing in video whose concept and execution was developed by someone else, and honestly you could swap out any other R&B singer -- the songs are constructed in a way for the performer to be interchangeable. When you look at a Gaga music video, you're seeing Gaga performing in a video whose concept and execution was developed by Gaga herself and therefore she could not be replaced -- it all centers on her. The same thing applies to their live performances; in a Gaga show, the display and thematic undercurrents are carefully constructed by her.

Basically, Rihanna, as talented as she is, can claim authorship of very little outside of her own performance and part of the music. Gaga can claim authorship of far much more. Neither is necessarily more important than the other, but considering that in some regards Gaga is purposefully deconstructing elements of pop music and avant-garde art with her performance, I'd say the obvious attention to detail is intentional.

And if we're going to talk effortless, I'd say writing a #1 single in ten minutes while hungover is kind of the definition of it

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Basically, Rihanna, as talented as she is, can claim authorship of very little outside of her own performance and part of the music. Gaga can claim authorship of far much more. Neither is necessarily more important than the other, but considering that in some regards Gaga is purposefully deconstructing elements of pop music and avant-garde art with her performance, I'd say the obvious attention to detail is intentional.

It's rare for me to be enough of a fan of this wing of music to actually own the album so I'm not super versed with it, but isn't that the case for the vast majority of pop artists? It's always seemed to me like the whole rationale behind a lot of pop music is basically, "do what you're told because we know the success formula and you don't," especially when you were dealing with big managers like Lou Pearlman or big producers like Phil Spector. I'm not trying to be cynical, but pop is a business with a science behind it, and it's rare to see someone actually try to break the mold when you have that much data telling you what tends to work well. You may see people do the style well (Lily Allen comes to mind) but you don't see a great amount of risk taking.

My question here is, can't you apply that same statement to most pop artists in general, thereby making any in-genre comparisons with Lady Gaga imperfect? I can think of Shakira and Justin Timberlake as possible peers, but I'm drawing a blank beyond that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. I just used Rihanna as the comparison because she was in the original example. The majority of artists with the same level of authorship and control over their work tend to be outside the pop mainstream.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

I don't think Gaga is trying to be ironic, maybe the whole point is 'anyone can do this with the right tools' but there seems to be an element of seriousness in everything she does that's probably greater than most pop stars, and you can't exactly ridicule or strip away pop music and not give a few hints or at least a few contrary scenes/lyrics anywhere to keep people guessing. Or maybe i've missed them :)

Amethyst Citrine
Oct 2, 2009
New album just leaked.

She just keeps stepping it up.

& Speechless sounds so drat classic.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Only song on the new drop thats really doing anything for me is Dancce in the Dark, Not including Bad Romance.. But I already heard that so it wasn't anything to look forward to haha.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

LuckySevens posted:

I don't think Gaga is trying to be ironic, maybe the whole point is 'anyone can do this with the right tools' but there seems to be an element of seriousness in everything she does that's probably greater than most pop stars, and you can't exactly ridicule or strip away pop music and not give a few hints or at least a few contrary scenes/lyrics anywhere to keep people guessing. Or maybe i've missed them :)

The point isn't that simple. It's not "ironic" pop. If she were doing all of this with a wink it would lose all meaning.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.

Amethyst Citrine posted:

New album just leaked.

She just keeps stepping it up.

& Speechless sounds so drat classic.

Teeth is absolutely the best way to end the album. It just makes me want to listen to it all over again.

Monster is growing on me, and So Happy I Could Die has really catchy parts. While this is short, I totally agree that the length is perfect; this is a full body of work and feels very consistent (though it could be that the rest of The Fame will always be overshadowed by the four singles).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hopefully not a stupid question, but I am trying to preorder The Fame Monster on Amazon, and it looks like there are three different versions. I think the cheapest one (around $10) is just a single-disc EP with the eight new songs, and then there are $14 and $20 versions. I want a 2-disc version with the original The Fame album along with the eight new songs, but what are the differences between those two versions? Amazon didn't have the track listings or detailed descriptions.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 16, 2009

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hopefully not a stupid question, but I am trying to preorder The Fame Monster on Amazon, and it looks like there are three different versions. I think the cheapest one (around $10) is just a single-disc EP with the eight new songs, and then there are $14 and $20 versions. I want a 2-disc version with the original The Fame album along with the eight new songs, but what are the differences between those two versions? Amazon didn't have the track listings or detailed descriptions.

http://www.amazon.com/Fame-Monster-Deluxe-Lady-Gaga/dp/B002QGUFWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1258346017&sr=1-1

You want this then. Look at the second picture's sticker "blah blah the fame album + new tracks".

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

zerojake posted:

The point isn't that simple. It's not "ironic" pop. If she were doing all of this with a wink it would lose all meaning.

Well she'd only do it with a wink if she believes it has no meaning. I was only saying I don't see a wink so we can probably rule it out as a possibility that she's trying to make a point about pop music.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jesus gently caress the jump between style between "Monster" and "Speechless" is ridiculous. It goes from "80s pop in a blender" into something that you could imagine Elton John writing during his "three albums a year" era. And both are brilliantly catchy.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
"Bad Romance" is a sinister, confident Poker Face. Love this track. 5/5

"Alejandro" has a good groove but is ultimately a little uninspiring. Not a bad track, though. 3/5

"Monster" is a pretty boring synthpop by numbers deal. Wasn't really struck by this one. 2/5

"Speechless" is a great, soulful 1975 Bowie number. The lyrics could've been better but the music is great. 3/5

"Dance in the Dark" is an amazing late 80s goth dance song. I really enjoy this one. Great the whole way through. 4/5

"Telephone" has great music and great hook but the lyrics are so bland and I hate Beyonce. Not bad, though. 3/5

"So Happy I Could Die" has a really different feel from the rest of the record, this kind of trancy hip hop deal. This song won't get the party started, but might help when it is winding down. 2/5

"Teeth" has a really good groove, very jumpy jaunty MIA meets Madonna circa "American Life." What starts as a cool intro never really picks up steam, which is a shame because it has such a dark circus feel. 2/5

Overall, 3/5. Bad Romance and Dance in the Dark steal the show, and the rest is decent filler. "Monster" and "Teeth" especially feel like filler. I think the Fame has singles but Monster is a more consistent effort.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Liking the new album. The standout tracks for me apart from Bad Romance, are Dance in the Dark, Monster, and So Happy I Could Die.

speshalxxed
Jul 19, 2006
This is driving me crazy. I tried to cross post on the dubstep and electropop forums but no one answered. What song is she sampling (or atleast sounds very similar) to for that backround ripping/warp noise, around 25 seconds into bad romance. I swear I've heard it before.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Lady Gaga is the bomb. She's one of the best things to happen in Pop music right now. She's not afraid to be different, and unique, which I respect wholeheartedly. My girlfriend has an unhealthy obsession with her right now, and I'm starting to see why now...

She's just really, really fascinating, and her music is undeniably catchy. The other day I came up with a fitting analogy describing her: Lady Gaga is the love child of Madonna and David Bowie, who was then put into an orphanage, and then adopted by artsy, alternative New York parents.

The other day I bought tickets to see Lady Gaga at Mohegan Sun, on January 18th, 2010 for my girlfriend and I. I'm pretty excited, because if her costumes and music videos (and live performances) are any indication, she's going to put on one hell of a show.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
Upon further listening I've grown to like "Teeth" a lot more. All my other opinions stand the same.

I think I'd like to take a bite of Lady GaGa's "Bad Girl Meat."

Amethyst Citrine
Oct 2, 2009

ArmoredBlue posted:

Teeth is absolutely the best way to end the album. It just makes me want to listen to it all over again.

Monster is growing on me, and So Happy I Could Die has really catchy parts. While this is short, I totally agree that the length is perfect; this is a full body of work and feels very consistent (though it could be that the rest of The Fame will always be overshadowed by the four singles).

Teeth is fast becoming my favorite -- I love how soulful it is, and it definitely was the best choice for ending the album.

I love Speechless & Dance in the Dark, but it might take a while for So Happy I Could Die to grown on me.

Also, I understand it is a matter of personal taste, but how can you possibly compare Rihanna's voice to Gaga's? Rihanna has some pretty good songs, but her voice...well, it's kind of terrible.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
I love Teeth, I can't stop listening to it. Don't forget tonight Lady Gaga will be on Gossip Girl at 9 eastern/8 central on the abomination that is "The CW."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I love this stuff. It hits that Electro-Pop sweet tooth I have, and it's all pretty much insanely catchy.

Bad Romance is pretty much on repeat on my laptop at the moment.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Monster Disc is great, but was this anyone's first time hearing the Japanese bonus tracks from The Fame?

I never knew about Disco Gaga... and I think I love her

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:
I refuse to get the leak. I'm savoring the wait time and the anticipation. I even decided to go old-school and not get any of the tracks in advance, so I keep listening to godawful pop stations waiting for "Bad Romance" to come on.

I know I'm weird but it's fun being a fan. V:shobon:V

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS
Speechless is a loving awesome song. That is all.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I love all the songs on the new CD and I keep hearing the "he ate my heart" part from Monster in my head.

What is it about that line that owns so much

Amethyst Citrine
Oct 2, 2009

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I love all the songs on the new CD and I keep hearing the "he ate my heart" part from Monster in my head.

What is it about that line that owns so much

Because violence is the best.

But really, her cutesy voice is used so rarely that when she does use it, it's very effective, at least for me. It's pretty much one of the only things I like about "Video Phone."

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Demp posted:

Speechless is a loving awesome song. That is all.

Agreed. I beleive "Speechless" is one of her best songs to date...it's heartfelt, soulful, and great instrumentation overall. It's a power ballad that echoes David Bowie, Queen, and the like. Beautiful.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 17, 2009

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
I was curious about Dance In The Dark being a Goth/Industrial throwback so I looked it up on YouTube and...not exactly, but I definitely see the influence. Great song.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I was kind of hoping for another song like Summerboy. I still think it's one of the best things she's done so far.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
I swear to god "Speechless" samples or pays tribute to some Beatles riff but I don't know enough about the Beatles to name the song. Am I imagining things here or what

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
yeah it kinda sounds like "something" from abbey road I think?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm really tempted about buying the 99$ deluxe edition. Her songs are so catchy and good that I consider 99$ a fair price.

I thought she was another generic pop star like Britney Spears, but drat she's so much more. She's achieved the biggest pop star status in just under a year. She knows what sells, and does just that.

All of her videos are great, I'm hoping to see her live someday.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah it sounds like maybe a reference to Something though it's certainly not a sample. I really don't like Speechless though, I think it's my least favorite of her songs that I've heard actually.

Teeth, on the other hand, loving rules.

hilly
May 26, 2005
When I was recently looking for a new band to get into, I looked to the past: My Bloody Valentine, Ministry, Guided by Voices, Sleater-Kinney, White Stripes, M83, Daft Punk (more specifically Alive 2007)...and I was not really expecting that I'd be taken in by Lady loving Gaga, of all people.

hilly fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 17, 2009

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

This thread is hilarious.

I'm not a huge fan of Lady Gaga, but she's at least unique enough herself to make things a little interesting. I wouldn't buy any of her songs or CDs, but if they're on the radio I might not change it.

I'm also glad the whole "she's got a penis" lie looks like it ran it's course. At least, I haven't heard about it seriously in a while myself.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 17, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Amethyst Citrine posted:

But really, her cutesy voice is used so rarely that when she does use it, it's very effective, at least for me. It's pretty much one of the only things I like about "Video Phone."

If you listen to "Retro, Dance, Freak" she has a totally different voice, which apparently is more like her pre-Gaga stuff. I had to check the credits to make sure that was her.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

joyfulgirl129 posted:

Found this recently: it's almost like she's wearing a costume:

Lady Gaga from 2007:

She looks hot as gently caress there.

I like how she's basically Madonna's smarts and changing looks, Aguilera good looks and pipes, then hits Amy Winehouse notes and soulfulness. Destroy all other pop stars, ultimate one found.

Bad Romance is a killer track. The video is sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACm9yECwSso

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

hilly posted:

When I was recently looking for a new band to get into, I looked to the past: My Bloody Valentine, Ministry, Guided by Voices, Sleater-Kinney, White Stripes, M83, Daft Punk (more specifically Alive 2007)...and I was not really expecting that I'd be taken in by Lady loving Gaga, of all people.

Same here, I looked for new music for months, usually listened to one new album a day.

Then I gave The Fame a chance, that was two weeks ago. Haven't heard anything else since.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
It took me a couple listens, but I now officially love the new album. Not every song, but whatever. Is there word on which song she'll make a video for next? My hope is Teeth.

I wish I had been home this year to be Gaga for Halloween. Maybe next year... I suppose by then I'll have even more costume ideas from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

It took me a couple listens, but I now officially love the new album. Not every song, but whatever. Is there word on which song she'll make a video for next? My hope is Teeth.

The word seems to be that Telephone ft. Beyonce will be the next single. I think Dance in the Dark would be a good single too.

• Locked thread