Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.
I think Lady Gaga's music is pretty catchy, so that probably colors my perception of her, but I think that by and large she's dismissed as another Britney Spears/Jessica Simpson clone, recording music written by other people and then "performing" it but lip syncing the entire thing. She writes her own stuff, has been working at it for years, controls her stage shows and production, and is, I think most importantly, a genuinely talented performer. It only takes one video of her acoustic performances to know that she's got pipes and can play, and the fact that she never, ever lip syncs, with the amount and intensity of her choreography during performances, has always impressed me greatly.

So, I think she's an amazing performer, and I think that can be appreciated even if you don't care for her music. More importantly, though, I just love how absolutely batshit she appears to be. Is it legitimate? Based on her back story and media presence thus far, maybe. But even if it isn't, anyone who decides that they will stick to that persona, day in and day out, without slipping up, has to be a little crazy anyway. I don't think there's really any deep meaning or groundbreaking ideas in her music, at all, but she still has a fresh take on a genre that doesn't really ask for much, and she looks like she's having a hell of a good time. She wrote an album called The Fame when she was a nobody, and went ahead and made it - it's a lot of things, but come on, just watch and see which stage she bleeds out on next.

That thought process has been rattling around in my head for a while, and now that it's out it's kind of embarrassing. At any rate, she did a lot of stumping for the National Equality March that was this last weekend in DC, and she's not the most articulate of speakers, but I do admire that she's willing to make a stand for a cause - she's a barely established pop artist. Speech below, worth it just for the image of Lady Gaga on CSPAN. At first they just give her name alone, and then at the end it's subtitled "Recording Artist" - I don't think they knew what the hell she was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNx95U1Q_vE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.
For real. It might not seem like much, but every contribution makes a difference, and I can't think of a better way of doing so than buying a Lady Gaga t-shirt. Without looking too deeply into that, check out the store. There are some new shirts, the Haiti relief one is kind of tacky but I guess makes a double statement. I'm going for the Alejandro T.

http://ladygaga.shop.bravadousa.com/Default.aspx

Haiti is going to fall out of the public eye soon and consequently out of aid money, and don't tell me there isn't at least one thing on that site that you would buy. If there actually isn't... Well, the Haus of Gaga is in shambles.

P.S. As far as I can tell the Gaga pens are no longer on sale; I'm so glad I got the back to school set. Don't look at me like that. (You amaze me, he ate my heart, etc.)

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.
"When I wake up in the morning, I feel just like any other insecure 24-year-old girl," she says. "Then I say, 'Bitch, you're Lady Gaga, you get up and walk the walk today.'"

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.
I wasn't thrilled on first listen, but true to every song I've heard by her, repeat listens have yielded results and I'm pretty sure this is gonna be as much of an earworm as anything else she's done.

The prechorus in particular I think is fantastic; I'm predicting that the production for the chorus itself will be way amped up for the final track, towering choruses have always been her strong point.

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.

Obligatory Toast posted:

Just got back from the Atlantic City concert.

It was... holy loving poo poo. Not only was it fabulously entertaining, it was run so loving tightly. I don't think anything I ever see will top that for a loooong while.

I live 45 minutes away but couldn't get tickets. Went to the Boston show way back when (3rd stop on the Monster Ball), but that was before the current show as we know it. As much as I want to hate you, I will appreciate the addition of your experience to the monster collective hive mind and :hfive: little monster to little monster :)

Also... anyone else think a Gaga smiley is totally in order in the near future? Gratuitous... but it would also be fantastic.

EDIT:

Skilleddk posted:

My two shirts just arrived. I completely forgot I need to pay customs when they arrive. All in all, I paid 100$ for two shirts. At least I got a free calendar, but drat.

gently caress that's rough, but report back once you start wearing them, mine always add something special to my day!

astareus fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 5, 2010

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.
jpg

Click here for the full 674x700 image.

Gaga performed on the Today Show in NYC this morning, a pretty crazy amount of people showed up - around 20,000 apparently. Watched it on TV, enjoyed the performance even though it was clearly a stripped down version of her normal show for the wider audience (that's ironic, right?)

Oh, and she kept going when it started raining. Sure rain doesn't hurt anybody but the dedication is always great to see.

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.
BREAKING: Lady Gaga Kidnaps Commissioner Gordon
http://www.theonion.com/articles/lady-gaga-kidnaps-commissioner-gordon,17789/

Replace Gotham with NYC, etc., and this could totally be true. God knows she has the outfits to pull it off.

quote:

"If you ever want to see Commissioner Gordon again, you'll do exactly as I say," Lady Gaga said from her secret lair, adjusting her angular yellow Tyvek and spandex dress as henchmen danced menacingly around the bound commissioner.

REDONEDIT:

astareus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 27, 2010

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I had a Lady Gaga dream last night. She decided to put out the new album early and was performing it on MTV with Pat Briggs from Psychotica. Then I ran into her in a bathroom somewhere and asked if she had an issue of a magazine that had her on the cover and she yelled at me. :(

The beauty of this is that in real life she'd hug you, give you 5 signed copies of Vanity Fair, and then put you on stage at the Monster Ball. I'd say you had a Lady Gaga nightmare :)

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.
It kills me that I never noticed that, although I guess I don't usually listen to Just Dance with headphones. Cannot for the life of me tell what it is, but 'put your hands up' is something she says a lot, so I'll stick with that.

While we're on the topic of Lady Gaga production easter eggs, I would just like to highlight the bouncy little synths in the background of the Paparazzi chorus; it's already immaculate, but those just bring the house down.

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Well Gaga is now the most followed person on Twitter and has made a video acknowledging her supremacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyf4LGQdbB8

I LOVE THIS WOMAN

Really, she never disappoints. Harp wand + bird on a string

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

While we're on the subject of shirts, would it be cliche of me (a lady) to wear a Gaga shirt to a gay club?

Honestly, it's probably one of the few clothing selections that would render you immune to fashion criticism in a gay club. She's universally loved (I don't feel uncomfortable making that statement at this point, I think it's more in the realm of "realistic" than "sweeping") and that love is also bestowed on those who wear clothing showing their appreciation.

This has gotten overwhelmingly positive feedback, with a surprisingly large amount coming from straight guys who like the retro design. You can't lose!

• Locked thread