Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am actually working on a study of Lady Gaga's videography, but let me just say that anyone who can synthesize the work of Andy Warhol, the French New Wave, Hitchcock, and Kubrick is anything but shallow. The release of the "Bad Romance" video is actually going to be an "Einstein eclipse" test of my thesis, since it's directed by the same guy who directed Britney Spears in "I'm a Slave 4 U"

(also I've never anticipated a music video as much as I am right now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjmQa18hMMU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cat doter posted:

I mean, she's obviously a real musician, she can play and sing quite well. She could be quite popular without the image bullshit, but whoever is handling her PR resorts to it anyway. I admire that she's a pop star with at least some talent, but come one, the stupid image, typical pop beats and songs about poker and stuff, there's no need for it, it's like music industry trans fat. But we all know people love their fat.

Lady Gaga posted:

What has been lost in pop music these days is the combination of the visual and the imagery of the artist, along with the music — and both are just as important. So, even though the carefree nature of the album is something that people are latching onto right away about my stuff, I hope they will take notice of the interactive, multimedia nature of what I'm trying to do. The things I like to do and the theatrics, I like to incorporate them into the choreography. With my music, it's a party, it's a lifestyle, and it's about making the lifestyle the forefront of the music.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Your Proud Pal posted:

If you have gay sex while Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) is playing, you literally cum a rainbow. It's amazing.
This is true.

Lady Gaga posted:

I’m not trying to make your dick hard the way other girls are. I’m trying to teach your dick to get hard when it looks at other things.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There are several steps to Gaga conversion, also known as "being bitten by the Fame Monster", which parallel what this thread has gone through.

First, you may be initially repulsed by what you're experiencing. "This is trashy pop music," maybe. Or "Dude, she's totally a man, this is some Crying Game poo poo right here, you can see her dick right here!"

But she gets your hooks into you. Somehow "LoveGame" slips into your playlist "accidentally," or you watch that Christopher Walken clip or that South Park clip a strange number of times.

"I like Lady Gaga ironically," you start to tell yourself. Or maybe you're a little braver and admit that you do love her -- but you're scared to let anyone else know.

It's only a few steps from there until you're contemplating how much you're willing to spend on a lock of her hair, get a Gagatar, and are having your first gay experience

Lady Gaga posted:

I will say that I'd be a happy girl if I could make the whole world gay.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Illandir posted:

I miss you, CharlieFoxtrot. Let us commence the first Gaga-themed game of Mafia in Traditional Games, wherein you post every last quote that you've seemingly assembled.

We should also discuss your thesis sometime, let me know~
Well, I'm working on getting it out this week to coincide with the release of the "Bad Romance" video (God, when is it going to drop?), but here is a snippet:

quote:

Fig. 3. “Lady No More Gaga”: Death imagery in Gaga’s work and beyond. From top, left to right: (a) “Just Dance” (b) “Beautiful Dirty Rich” (c) “The Fame: Part One” (d) “Paparazzi” (e) “Paparazzi” (c) Melanie Pullen’s “Half Prada (Hanging Series)”, part of High Fashion Crime Scenes

Also, consider this is Lady Gaga on writing "Just Dance":

Lady Gaga posted:

I was very hungover. I wrote the song in about 10 minutes with [producer] RedOne.

And this is her discussing the set design for her live show:

Lady Gaga posted:

The theatrics and story elements are in the style of an opera. Imagine if you could take the sets of an opera, which are very grand and very beautiful, and put them through a pop-electro lens. The design of the show is very, very forward, very, very innovative. I've been thinking about ways to play with the shape of this stage and change the way that we watch things. So what I've done is I've designed a stage with Haus of Gaga that is essentially a frame with forced perspective, and the frame is put inside the stage.

It's got kind of a triangular inset, like a diamond, and everywhere we're playing, the dimensions fit this box that I'm bringing, so it's this giant box that fits into every show. So no matter where I go, my fans get the same experience. So often you go into theaters and there's ambient light flying in from all sorts of places, and the audience is in different spots, and the stage is in different shapes and lengths and widths and depths, so this is a way for me to control all the light and all of the different elements of the show.

Two guesses which she cares more about

EDIT: Just think about how many pop stars could even tell you what the concept of forced perspective is

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 10, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Considering that most people are surprised she can play an instrument or writes her own music, sure.

Also Illandir, I always thought that the lyric in your Gagatar was "got your Dre headphones" like the Beats by Dr. Dre headphones that are in all her music videos. A lot of lyrics sites say "dirty headphones" though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought maybe I was stretching a bit in thinking I saw some influence from Matthew Barney and Cremaster in "Paparazzi", but Gaga confirms my suspicions again. Jesus, what a video.

(These were all made for academic research purposes, of course)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Those are good interesting finds; it looks to be a common motif. I mentioned Melanie Pullen's High Fashion Crime Scenes earlier, and there's also a strong resemblance to some of Helmut Newton's work in play.

This was a really good analysis of Paparazzi that I referenced, especially since it's not like I can identify D&G on sight or anything

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ArmoredBlue posted:

I'd say a large portion of what she wore after Poker Face became blew up is designer made, though some of her really out-there stuff (like the orbit dress for example) is made by her small fashion team called the Haus of Gaga.
Lady Gaga on the Haus of Gaga:

Lady Gaga posted:

I called all my coolest art friends and we sat in a room and I said that I wanted to make my face light up. Or that I wanted to make my cane light up. Or that I wanted to make a pair of dope sunglasses. Or that I want to make video glasses, or whatever it was that I wanted to do. It’s a whole amazing creative process that’s completely separate from the label.

Lady Gaga posted:

They're my best friends. I'm not really sure what the world thinks ... but I do hear things like, 'Who is the Haus of Gaga?' and, 'Are you putting out a fashion line?' And no one gets it. It's not a commodity. It's not something that's meant to be sold... It's a real bond and relationship, and that's what I think music and art is about... they are my heart and soul. They believe in me, and they look at me like a mother and daughter and sister, with pride and love.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think Gaga's already crossed that bridge; Bjork at least showed her face.

If we're sharing "When we first learned about Gaga," I remember the guy that recommended her to me also recommended The Secret in the same breath, and I was like, "You've got to be loving kidding me."

I have no intention of reading The Secret, but he was pretty spot-on about the other thing

Edit: Also this seems to be the artistic equivalent of the Justice League:

quote:

Now Vezzoli is in L.A., pulling further favors from the famous while putting on a new hat as the creative orchestrator of Saturday night's 30th anniversary gala for the Museum of Contemporary Art. The centerpiece will be a live, five-minute production number called "Ballets Russes Italian Style (The Shortest Musical You Will Never See Again)," in which Lady Gaga will debut her new ballad, "Speechless."

She'll play a Steinway grand piano painted in spin-art style by Damien Hirst. Her hat was designed by architect Frank Gehry, and she and Vezzoli, who also has a part, will don masks created by filmmaker Baz Luhrmann and his production designer wife, Catherine Martin. For company, Gaga will have a dozen dancers from the Bolshoi Ballet, who will be wearing costumes created by Vezzoli and Miuccia Prada, head of the famous fashion house.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 11, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nova Bizzare posted:

She's said often that what she does is pop music and that she likes to sing about clubs, dancing, ingesting alcohol, and all of that. She had an interview where she talked about the 70s and the dance floor being sacred and some poo poo.

Lady Gaga posted:

When you listen to a song like "LoveGame", is it communicating my soul to you? No. My music isn't me jerking my dick off all over a piano trying to feel something. I make soulless electronic pop. But when you're on Ecstasy in a nightclub grinding up against someone and my music comes on, you'll feel soul.

The quote is doubly ironic, but anyway I think the sometimes-simplicity of Gaga's music is part of her trying to make what is normally considered avant-garde art accessible to the masses. The music is sometimes as simplistic and catchy as possible, which helps the audience interact with her visual identity, which is far more out there. There's a quote which I (surprisingly) don't have available which went like "The music is the sugar and I'm the medicine."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The intersection of these two things will probably make my head explode.

This is an interesting read considering the earlier discussion: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1625589/20091105/lady_gaga.jhtml

quote:

Rather than showing up on the set for the day, Gaga met with the writers and producers first to make sure she was doing a performance that she felt comfortable with.

"I really sat down with the writers," she said. "I was like, 'Look, I want to do this, and the reason I want to do this is because I am trying to say something that is not mainstream in a mainstream capacity. So, if I can say it on your show, that would be, like, a real coup d'état for me as a performance artist.' "

The result sounds like an elaborate music video. "I am the narrator behind what is going on with the characters and make the song part of the moment," she explained about the "crazy performance-art piece." "We used these ladders, and I'm falling off ladders. Ladders are kind of a monster symbol about bad luck. And I have this 35-foot-long dress on and these X's, very gothic-inspired. It was great. They let me do whatever the hell I wanted. It was amazing."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That's an interesting line of argumentation, and I can see where you're coming from. But I'd take certain issues with it, the first being that Gaga and Rihanna are trying to achieve two different things so a direct comparison may not prove fruitful. Admittedly Rihanna is quite talented and has a beautiful voice and technically she's probably a superior singer to Gaga. She's good at what she does.

But if you look at the credits for Music of the Sun, you may see Rihanna's name on a smattering of tracks; you look at The Fame and it's a wall of Gaga -- she's credited on literally every single track.

When you look at a Rihanna music video, you're seeing Rihanna performing in video whose concept and execution was developed by someone else, and honestly you could swap out any other R&B singer -- the songs are constructed in a way for the performer to be interchangeable. When you look at a Gaga music video, you're seeing Gaga performing in a video whose concept and execution was developed by Gaga herself and therefore she could not be replaced -- it all centers on her. The same thing applies to their live performances; in a Gaga show, the display and thematic undercurrents are carefully constructed by her.

Basically, Rihanna, as talented as she is, can claim authorship of very little outside of her own performance and part of the music. Gaga can claim authorship of far much more. Neither is necessarily more important than the other, but considering that in some regards Gaga is purposefully deconstructing elements of pop music and avant-garde art with her performance, I'd say the obvious attention to detail is intentional.

And if we're going to talk effortless, I'd say writing a #1 single in ten minutes while hungover is kind of the definition of it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. I just used Rihanna as the comparison because she was in the original example. The majority of artists with the same level of authorship and control over their work tend to be outside the pop mainstream.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Monster Disc is great, but was this anyone's first time hearing the Japanese bonus tracks from The Fame?

I never knew about Disco Gaga... and I think I love her

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Amethyst Citrine posted:

But really, her cutesy voice is used so rarely that when she does use it, it's very effective, at least for me. It's pretty much one of the only things I like about "Video Phone."

If you listen to "Retro, Dance, Freak" she has a totally different voice, which apparently is more like her pre-Gaga stuff. I had to check the credits to make sure that was her.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Not that this has anything to do with Gaga, but every Beyoncé video recently has been "'Single Ladies' did really well, :regd08:"

It really makes you appreciate the thought Gaga puts into her own videos.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 19, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

hilly posted:

4. She's not afraid to look like Hedwig-scale unattractive. Oddly, this makes her sexier. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Lady Gaga posted:

I’m not trying to make your dick hard the way other girls are. I’m trying to teach your dick to get hard when it looks at other things.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I dig it. Note though how all the symbols of subjugation (the vodka, the bathtub, the ice-white outfits, the bathhouse itself) are all centered the traditionally-feminine element of water, while the liberating symbols (including the cigarette, her explosive brassiere, and the red outfits at the end) are centered around the traditionally-masculine element of fire, which Gaga appropriates for herself.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gothy McAngstydie posted:

I would say that the idea of white as purity and power is what Gaga is doing away with. She makes everything red or black by the end, obviously signifying her passage from the innocent Maiden form of the Goddess to the more vengeful and destructive Crone, and the protective and powerful Mother. Is the fact that everything in the video is white, red, or black, the three colors of the triple goddess who reigns over all things a coincidence? Doubtful.

The observation that the avenues of power are all fire and male and the oppression are water is a good one which I have done little study on. Could this be Gaga advocating the use of symbol and power theft, the "revenge" for the patriarchal's power structure for stealing the pagan traditions of female power?

I definitely see the progression you're talking about : note how when Gaga is in the tub, she has enlarged, wide eyes with diluted pupils. This is a classic signal of neoteny, which gives off the image of being helpless and immature.

However, by the end of the video, Gaga has an entirely different look and expression, one that conveys power and maturity -- look at the swept-back hair and straightened posture.

Another opposition to consider is that the male oppressors are heavily tied to technology; their outfits and faces feature bolted-on gears and metal, and they bid on Gaga using computers. Gaga, on the other hand, is possessed with a sort of animalistic, primal energy. She wears a bearskin cloak at the end, another one of her outfits is blatant in its recalling of an animal, many of the dance moves feature clawing motions, and she crawls across the floor, prowling towards her target.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Of course, referencing Monroe extends to referencing Madonna (who made massive leaps and bounds in popularity by grabbing that persona and twisting it to her own ends), so she could be trying to place herself along those sexual icons through association. She could be suggesting that by grabbing their own sexuality, any woman can be free (like Madonna).

I think this is especially important; at one point in the video, Gaga incorporates the Sign of the Cross into her dance routine, and Catholic imagery is something that is often associated with Madonna. The video for "Like a Virgin" touches on the same issues and also incorporates this white/black, maiden/mother, bride/groom opposition, along with animal imagery.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

archwhore posted:

If you look closely, she doesn't make a cross. She touches her forehead, her right shoulder then her left shoulder, making a triangle.

I'd argue that it's an abstracted version of one, since what other iconography incorporates touching your forehead and shoulders? The three-point version still retains the trinity symbolism of the gesture, plus she's definitely wearing a diamond cross in the preceding shots.

It's not the strongest symbolism in the video though, I'll grant you that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LuckySevens posted:

You might think she's better but she's certainly square in the 'pop star' category.
You say that like there's something wrong with that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Advice posted:

Does anyone know where I could find this image? I want it for an SA avatar. It's the shot that lasts for like two seconds in Bad Romance, similar to this picture:

but the shot before it, right when her robe falls, and her arms are out at her sides.

God I love that shot.
You mean this one?

Here is it more square and in gagatar form:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That is an excellent summation, especially since I'm less able to suss out Gaga's musical thought process as opposed to her visual one. It's going in my mega-gagapost

So that this isn't entirely contentless, if you haven't watched "The Fame: Part One" (which is where I first heard it), "Fooled Me Again, Honest Eyes" is an excellent song which I believe she's only done live. Love the part when she plays the piano with her foot, and the end where she goes all Ray Charles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIeCrj_Gn6A

I would love it if she did an entire piano album

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Triple Tech posted:

Also, in the music video for LoveGame, it feels like she's evoking multiple idols, but I'm not sure who. Three influences that stand out for me, and are not necessarily tied to the idols I think she's imitating... 1) The chain mail mask makes me think of King Arthur, or some sort of knighthood. 2) Being the head of an underground gang makes me think of Callisto featured in the Fox X-men series. 3) That light staff makes me think of Gandalf the Great/White/Shark.

Those are interesting suppositions, especially the concept of idols and the Gandalf comparison because I thought the same things, especially with the motif of transformation. Since my article is apparently quarantined for review or something, this is the excerpt on LoveGame (I feel bad that I actually gave it short shrift compared to some of her other videos)

quote:

Directed by Joseph Kahn back-to-back with “Eh Eh”, “LoveGame” continues the thematic trend of Gaga as invader, starting with her gang of dancers charging through Times Square; they heft a manhole cover branded with the words “Haus of Gaga.” The sanitized and glittery New York of today is contrasted with the deliberately anachronistic and raw gang outfits straight out of the New York of the 1970s and 1980s. Much of the video is a direct homage to the video for Michael Jackson’s “Bad,” which was a display of a pop musician and his dancers flouting boundaries and challenging authority. In “LoveGame” this challenging of authority ranges from jumping subway turnstiles to Gaga co-opting the police with the sheer force of her sexuality. While every Lady Gaga video features numerous costume changes, in “LoveGame” there are three distinct fashion styles used by Gaga to illustrate specific elements of the video’s core theme of sexual expression and dominance. The first is used in the opening of the video, as Gaga brings her gang of dancers all around her. Dressed in light colors to make her stand out from the crowd, she is also hooded and hides her eyes behind a fence-like mesh. Lady Gaga wields her discostick like a scepter, and all eyes follow its bright light as she waves it around. The effect of the whole ensemble is to make Gaga seem ethereal or even magical; although she is surrounded by athletic, towering men, the diminutive Gaga is clearly the dominant figure in the space.

The second style is employed outside the main narrative and intercut throughout the video: Gaga is engaged in a liaison with two men on a subway bench, and she is fully nude save for being covered with shiny makeup and jewels. As in the couch shots from “Poker Face,” Gaga claims the power position. Even though she is naked and ostensibly vulnerable, she remains the dominant force; the men have the words “Love” and “Fame” shaved into their hair, and they are passive – almost symbolic – playthings for Gaga. Like the “Haus of Gaga” inscribed into the manhole cover at the top of the video, Gaga is physically carving her presence and style into the world. The makeup gives her an angelic or alien appearance; she is transcending concepts of shame or modesty.

Lady Gaga transforms into the third style during a ride on the subway (the symbolic meaning of trains speeding through tunnels being almost hilariously blatant). She goes from a light-colored outfit to the leather and dark colors of her gang, taking on the markers of counterculture and subversion before her confrontation with the police. Her dance moves incorporate furiously pounding her fists on the hood of a car, almost challenging authority to come and get her. Authority responds and the police swoop in, apprehending the members of her gang. But Gaga gets the upper hand, and the officers become enthralled with her. The most subversive element of the video is almost subtle enough to go unnoticed; consider that most representations of homosexuality are still tainted with a sense of “otherness.” When female homosexuality is deployed in pop music, it is usually as a source of titillation for male viewers (such as in Katy Perry’s “I Kissed a Girl”) or purely for its shock value (such as the kiss between Britney Spears and Madonna). However in “LoveGame” not only is Gaga fawned over by both a male and a female cop, the quick cuts and flowing camera movement between each liaison give both equal weight; the man and the woman are practically interchangeable in Gaga’s eyes, and gender is merely another boundary to transcend in her sexual expression. This idea continues into the final section of the video, where Gaga pays homage to Michael Jackson by appropriating his iconic crotch-grabbing dance moves. Gaga not only uses the move forcefully and aggressively, she incorporates a fist held high in the air, an unmistakable signifier of power and authority. “LoveGame” displays a Lady Gaga fully confident in her expressive sexuality, able to use it as another tool in her stylistic palette.
And for comparison:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lec8et628

Edit: Although since writing that I found out that I had missed Gaga's inspiration for the final outfit in the video, which was the Nazi outfit in The Night Porter, a film about the collision of sex and authority. The hat also features a mesh similar to her mask in the beginning, possibly recalling fences or containment. Perhaps the final sequence is about Gaga seizing control and becoming a dominant force? Not sure.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 1, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Backweb posted:

But I digress... until Lady Gaga puts out a coffee table book with pictures of her nude and engaged in sexual acts, Madonna will remain undisputed queen of pop controversy. And even then Gaga would have only tied Madonna.

Who knows what we would have seen if the Fame Kills tour had gone off. Maybe there's a reason it got canceled :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlcfuD1584M

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You need Beats by Dr. Dre earbuds

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lady Gaga posted:

"Speechless" was my plea to my father to get this heart operation. I sent it to my dad when I was on the road. I said "Please, Dad" and he still wouldn’t do it and one day he just started not feeling so good so I dropped everything and sat down with him. I told him it was not just his heart at stake, it was all our hearts. I told him if he died I would quit music and mum would not be able to function. And, thankfully, he did it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PolcJd2eh-w

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You can download it without having to get the downloader -- you can just skip that part.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

This is my new favorite quote.

Also, my girlfriend actively despises Lady Gaga and has, on more than one occasion, confused her with Katy Perry.

Grounds for separation?

I think this is a sign and an opportunity for you to switch teams.

Lady Gaga would want it that way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What's interesting is why she looks that way.

Lady Gaga posted:

When I was doing her video with her, she called me, and she said, "‘What do you want to do?" And I’m like, "I don’t want to show up in some frickin’ hair bow and be fashion Gaga in your video." I said, "I want to do you..." The whole time I was learning the choreography they were calling me Gee-yonce."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's kind of her philosophy on collaboration. Maybe it's because of how she started out.

Lady Gaga posted:

I really wanted to sit down with Wale before I wrote the hook [for "Chillin"], because to me, it's really lame when people send you tracks, and they're like, "All right, Gaga, throw your vocals on it." This is Wale's record. It's not my record. It's one of those songs, one of those tracks and one of those videos that you can't stop listening to.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Prince of Tennis posted:

Anyone who says this doesn't understand Lady Gaga at all and is just jumping on the latest bandwagon. Sorry to be harsh but this is like saying "I like Warhol but pop culture is stupid." Also the fact that you called her a "talentless skank" means you probably should reexamine yourself.

To fully accept Gaga requires one to accept ego death. Those who may have stronger prejudices need to take time to break them down, like a Klan member re-examining his belief system

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I posted an excerpt from this earlier, but if you ever wanted to read seven thousand words on Lady Gaga:

http://www.thehousenextdooronline.com/2009/12/pop-ate-my-heart-lady-gaga-her-videos.html

There you go.

quote:

...death imagery is a powerful motif in much of Gaga’s work, and it is on full display in “The Fame: Part One.” Gaga hangs one of her dancers with a length of rope, an image that is revisited in the video for “Paparazzi.” That same dancer suffers a symbolic death when Gaga discovers that she is a traitor—the enemies of Lady Gaga are “bigots,” as that is one of the epithets she hurls when visiting her punishment upon the dancer. The nature of this punishment is to strip her naked; Gaga yells, “Get the shoes, the jacket… Get everything!” To be stripped of one’s clothing and costume is to be denied an identity. Gaga eventually reunites with the woman, but on strange terms. In the ending to the film, Gaga’s dancers are reduced to the status of props; Gaga uses one as the stand for her keyboard, and while she embraces the other and lights her cigarette, the dancer is frozen in place like a mannequin. This hints at one of the potentially more alienating themes embedded in Gaga’s work: pop culture is a monstrous assimilating force, and for people to have any permanence in the face of it, they must become empty vehicles for its transmission. Lady Gaga may be sacrificing her identity on her own terms; but like every other pop star, she is still sacrificing her identity...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lady Gaga posted:

My cocaine soundtrack was The Cure. I loved all their music, but I listened to this one song on repeat while I did bags and bags of cocaine. "Whatever I do/It’s not enough." Isn’t that funny? ... At the time I didn’t think there was anything wrong with me until my friends came over and said, "Are you doing this alone?" Um, yes. Me and my mirror.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Is this an official video? Cos if so it's kind of a letdown considering the potential that a song like Teeth had for the video treatment.

It's not the official video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

drainpipe posted:

Mystery solved via teeth analysis: http://www.biguglyyellowcouch.com/post/2010/2/11/iamamiwhoami.html. She's someone named Little Boots.

Since she doesn't have her own thread, I will point out that Little Boots is actually pretty cool. She's like the Salieri to Lady Gaga's Mozart, which isn't supposed to be an insult because if you listen to Salieri's work it's actually quite good if not exactly groundbreaking

• Locked thread