Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

LuckySevens posted:

Someone with something to say, not someone throwing together past superstars gimmicks/PR marketing to see how far they can go with it.

"The Fame" is as much a social commentary as "Pride and Prejudice" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Or you can drink the Kool-Aid and join a steadily-growing group of Lady Gaga conspiracy theorists who believe that she's pretty much playing a huge joke on the entire music industry. :D

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Nova Bizzare posted:

If you're willing to drop a hundred bucks on a preorder bundle package thing for The Fame Monster you can be the proud owner of a lock of Lady Gaga's hair.

Is it wrong that I totally loving want this??

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Holy gently caress.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Doctor Claw posted:

The verse piano part to Captivated is exactly what she plays to Poker Face when she plays it acoustic.

Interesting.

The chorus to Captivated is very very VERY close to a song I wrote about five years ago called Jaded.

I'm a little freaked out.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

archwhore posted:

If you look closely, she doesn't make a cross. She touches her forehead, her right shoulder then her left shoulder, making a triangle.

That isn't a triangle, she's clearly making this guy :v:

LADY GAGA IS A GOON

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Why do people hate pop music so much?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Final Fart Buttball posted:

the holiest historical event of all time.

hahaha, I read this as "of our time" and wondered how something could be both historical and of our time the way this person seemed to be saying

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I have a friend who adores the music I write, so I give him tons of recommendations based on what I'm into. I sent him this huge email a while back after he declared his hatred for Lady Gaga, basically trying to show him that she's actually talented and stuff. He kept insisting she just wasn't his thing.

I had the following conversation tonight:

Friend: Y'know, the more I see of Lady Gaga the more I realize the only thing stopping you from actually BEING Lady Gaga is the fact that you'd probably fall out of the tops she wears. And hell, she falls out of them already
Me: Why do you say that?
Friend: Because you've got the voice for it, and the songwriting ability. And you're super hot. And, good lord, I think I'm starting to get it
Me: HA YES I KNEW YOU WOULD
Friend: gently caress. HATE YOU.

Half an hour later he angrily admitted that he was currently learning Bad Romance on the guitar. I WIN

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Jarl posted:

When you actually think about it anything else would be a bit scary and maybe even sad.

I want to win an award just so I can peg groupies with it

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Oh my loving god, is Lady Gaga wearing a high-fashion posture collar??

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

It is my theory that for someone who truly loves music, there is no such thing as a "guilty pleasure."

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I got a Secret Santa gift in the mail today; someone bought me the Fame songbook.

I will be re-learning to read music just so I can play Paparazzi on the piano. I am ridiculous.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I went to the pool hall tonight and blew money in the jukebox playing like half of the Fame Monster because my extremely hetero burly dude friend loves Lady Gaga but hasn't heard any of the new stuff.

He loved Teeth and Monster, hated Dance in the Dark.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

spite house posted:

I think she does sexy really well, actually. I get the sense that she's showing us her authentic self, not just the usual boilerplate "sexy pop star" slack-jawed gyrating, and though she gets off on it she doesn't especially care whether we do. I can't think of another pop culture figure who can do that.

Go watch that video where she sings Electric Kiss, listen to the words, and tell me if you still feel that way.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Oncogene posted:

This is pretty rad.

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom indeed

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

That first cover is tremendously awful.

I feel like I should take this as a challenge. I've avoided covering Lady Gaga because she does her own fun little acoustic covers, so it wouldn't be treading new ground, but now I feel like I need to track down a video camera and do a cover of Bad Romance just to show this fucker how it's done.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

spite house posted:

My husband is currently working up a country-fried R&B cover of Bad Romance. My husband plays like Willie and sings like Sam Cooke. This should be really interesting.

I immediately went upstairs and started working something out on the piano. I've gotta get my recording gear working because this could be really awesome.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Porcupine Hunted posted:

This thread makes me happy.

Haven't really noticed any talk of "Teeth". It has pretty much become my new favorite song by Gaga, even if it is about dick...

May we hear some of the other music you people are responsible for while we wait? (Youtube accounts, pretty please)

My youtube account is full of embarrassing old old old stuff. I'm magicalpolaris, but don't judge me :/ I haven't had access to a video camera since I got serious about music.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Prince of Tennis posted:

music for women.

oh no you didn't

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I like the articles that tell me how she's an Illuminati puppet.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Holy hell, I think Monster is about date rape.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I never would have nothing of that, but now that you mention it it seems to really fit (and it bothers me a bit.) Especially if you consider "he ate my brain" to be a reference to date rape drugs that gently caress with your memory.... hmm....

I asked my girlfriend if she'd seen you round before
She mumbled something as we got down on the floor
We might have hosed, not really sure, don't quite recall
All I know is that I've seen him...

"boy get your paws right off of me"

I wanted to just dance but he took me home instead...

I think the fact that it's bothersome is what I love most about it. If it's true, she took something horrible and made this super dancey song, it almost is a statement about how a girl in this situation might be accused of lying about it or "she was dressed like she was asking for it."

Reminds me of this song, a bit, and what Amanda Palmer was trying to say with the music. Gives Gaga a hell of a lot of songwriting cred to pull something like that off. It made me think, at least.

Look Under The Rock fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 17, 2010

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Kat McDee posted:

does anyone know if she has made any direct mention of someone close to her having struggled with alcoholism?

Go listen to Just Dance.

She talks about booze a lot, you just have to listen for it.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I got a new headset for my comp tonight and tested it on some Gaga songs. :3: The beats on her songs are so much better with some kick-rear end bass.

Ha, when I first heard Fame Monster through my nice headphones I could not wipe the grin off my face.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I know! I've been addicted to So Happy I Could Die for the last few days because it had one of the best beats on the whole album, in my opinion, and it is unreal on these new headphones. So awesome :3:

I think Monster and Teeth have the best beats, but to each his own.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Kat McDee posted:

Fear not, this is the reason for my waiting, let the inspiration wear off and see how I feel about it then. I know music/band tattoos in general are typically a poor idea, so I really don't think I want to, but the idea keeps popping into my head.

This does, of course, make me wonder if anyone else in this thread has gotten inspired to get some Gaga ink done...

Thought about getting "I'll follow you until you love me" and some little kids holding hands but then I decided to get skeletons on fire instead

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Reloaded like, wicked sounds like When Doves Cry.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoNdr0AbttI

I really love this Sam Tsui kid. His voice is very nearly perfect. When he started the chorus of Paparazzi I actually got chills.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I guess there is a market out there for awful "rapping" about stuff teenage girls might be interested in?

I sincerely hope my teenage sister is not interested in brushing her teeth with a bottle of Jack before getting a pedicure on her tahws tahws.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Five, really.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Obligatory Toast posted:

Holy poo poo sandwiches.

Let's make a sandwich!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I thought it was fantastic and I totally want the cigarette sunglasses.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

If I had five bucks right now that would be my avatar so loving fast

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

emoticon posted:

Here's what Amanda Palmer has to say (sing?) about Lady Gaga: "Gaga, Palmer, Madonna".

I'd post this in the GBS thread, but it's completely stupid at this point.

I want to be Amanda Palmer when I grow up.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm shocked and amazed that Jared Leto's lovely emo band has done a lovely cover of a good song. Oh wait, no I'm not. Really though, those guys suck.

Their cover of Kanye West's "Stronger" was also pretty hilarious.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I still think Monster should've been on the new moon or eclipse soundtrack and had a music video done to it about Bella and Jacob.

I still say Monster is about date rape.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Amanda Palmer just posted an interesting blog about seeing Gaga in concert. I don't agree with everything she says, but it's a cool read.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Serious question. What do you do when you get the front after waiting all day, then realise you need the bathroom before Gaga starts?

Well, I guess that all Depends...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

F201 posted:

holy poo poo that is the worst thing i have ever seen

I KNOW. I badly want it to be a joke.

• Locked thread