Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Wasn't the grunge movement all about their image too? It certainly was inexpensive and you could wash all your dark's at once.

I agree with you, but regardless, Nirvana isn't even a good example seeing as Kurt was a reclusive basketcase who committed suicide to escape the fame he never wanted to attain.

I don't know if Grunge (or any type of music) is even a good example because image and music are always going to be intertwined. Grunge was as close to style-less (visually) as music can be, but the fans of it turned flannel shirts and trashed jeans into a fashion statement, just as any fans of any style of music will and if Kurt suddenly started wearing Kiss-style spandex bodysuits and facepaint, Nirvana fans would have poo poo bricks.

Unless your favorite band plays every show behind a curtain or with the lights off and never makes any public appearances, the idea that the music is the only thing that matters and everything is irrelevant shows a tremendous lack of perspective regarding the idea of performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Timmy and Tommy posted:

I'm a little worried that Gaga here is going to suffer from Sufjan Stevens syndrome: release a million awesome things at once, tour, be everyone's favorite artist ever, and then disappear seemingly forever. I really hope not, cause I really, really like her.

His "best album" didn't even come close to cracking the Top 100 Bilboard chart. Not that such a thing is an infallible judgment of quality, but, for the most part, the only people who considered him their favorite artist were indie snobs.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Backweb posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is that she's accomplishing.

Why do you assume she has a larger goal than "make music she enjoys making and make a living doing it?"

If it's because of her visual style and things like the penis stunt, then this may be a "once you see it, you can't unsee it" thing, but imagine someone like Rihanna, Beyonce, Miley Cyrus, etc. performing the songs Gaga does in their own wardrobe, style, etc. Doesn't work, does it?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Look Under The Rock posted:

Why do people hate pop music so much?

POPULAR STUFF I HATE STUFF OTHER PEOPLE LIKE ARGH HOW CAN PEOPLE LISTEN TO THIS LOW BROW GARBAGE WHEN THERE'S SO MANY GOOD LO-FI INDIE BANDS FROM OBSCURE EUROPEAN COUNTRIES THAT I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO LISTEN TO BECAUSE THEN I HAVE TO HATE THEM TO MAINTAIN MY E-CRED :combination of :mad: and :smug: :

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Legato posted:

After reading the thread from beginning to end it's pretty funny to see how the thread has mirrored everyone's conversion from disgust/laughing at Lady GaGa to honest appreciation.

I think it's a natural progression from hearing one single, especially if it's a dance-style single like (hurr) Just Dance and writing her off as a clone of every other dance-pop singer, then hearing the various glam-rock/disco/etc. influences in a lot of her stuff, maybe catching a glimpse of her in a full-body red lace wrap while accepting an award and going "hey, wait a minute, maybe there's something to this Lady Gaga thing."

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Doctor Claw posted:

A good line-up but I think it's kinda bloated for an artist who only has 1 LP and 1 EP.

Not really, considering that she remixes a lot of her songs into different versions live and a lot of them probably flow into each other as medleys.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

I listen to mostly classic rock, hard rock, some metal and some punk.

I am in love with Gaga, so v:confused:v

Any word on an uncensored Fame Monster or is it "we're working on it" still?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Huh, maybe they just meant on that station? Or maybe on a totally corporate clearchannel owned station in the U.S. ?

They've been playing it in NJ for a few weeks.

I think it might be a regional thing. When I was out in Nevada for a week, I noticed they were playing either different "new" singles from certain artists or hadn't yet gotten new singles that NJ stations had been playing for weeks.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Alright, so, uh, if the uncensored version is out, how do I find it?

NOT ASKING FOR ILLEGAL poo poo; JUST INFO ON HOW TO FIND THE UNCENSORED VERSION

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Facially, she looks a LOT like Madonna in some of those photos. Madonna back before she looked like an emaciated bodybuilder with a face made of silly putty, that is.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's interesting is why she looks that way.

Gaga loving gets "it." Not everyone gets her, but she gets "it."

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

You know, I thought that long-sleeved t-shirt would make a nice part of my Valentine's Day gift for my fiance. Her style of artw-- $45 for a loving t-shirt?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

You don't buy many band t-shirts do you?

Where the gently caress are you buying YOUR band shirts? I've got my fair share in my closet and excluding ones purchased at shows (where they're always more expensive), I've paid more than $20 once.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Sure poo poo like Taylor Swift or Keesha isn't great, but at least their stuff has some part of their personality and they have the personal charisma to make it work. Miley Cyrus is a loving dancing puppet and it weirds me out.

Taylor Swift, maybe. She sings songs about being a teenager in high school and at one time, she WAS a teenager in high school, so... OK.

Kesha, however, you might want to rethink. Read up on her a bit. She is a complete blank canvas of a person, free to be painted with whatever image whoever is representing her wishes, whether that be a downhome southern girl, a borderline-Christian acoustic folk singer or her current incarnation as whatever she is (a lukewarm, less "weird" Lady Gaga impersonator).

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Ronnie Spector posted:

Does this matter? I mean if you're arguing that her inauthenticity has a negative impact on the quality of her music then just criticise the music. Once again I can't believe people in a Lady loving Gaga Thread are criticising other artists for maintaining a distance between their public and private personas.

Did you read the part I quoted?

quote:

Sure poo poo like Taylor Swift or Keesha isn't great, but at least their stuff has some part of their personality and they have the personal charisma to make it work. Miley Cyrus is a loving dancing puppet and it weirds me out.

Kesha has no personality. She's a blank slate who is whatever she's told to be and is just as much a puppet as Miley Cyrus. That was the statement I took issue with. You'll notice I said nothing about her music.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

emoticon posted:

Either she's very smart (to keep her private life secret) or her alternate identity has become increasingly confused with her "real" identity--like Batman.

I'd imagine the former.

Think about this: If you passed her on the street and she had brown hair and was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers, would you recognize her?

The avant-garde thing she's doing is not just for fashion, it's probably also for function. It lets her be who she is when she's not "on" and lets her leave Lady Gaga on stage and television. I don't think she's headed for a breakdown anytime soon. Another collapse from exhaustion/dehydration perhaps, but that's more the result of her being a workaholic. She seems to be acutely aware of herself and how to keep Stephanie Germanotta and Lady Gaga separate.

It's time to worry for her when she starts showing up as her real self in nightclubs and making a spectacle of herself.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Goobers For Guts posted:

What the hell

All of the product placements and the Poison TV menu are blurred out in the MTV version!

Might have something to do with usage stipulations in the contracts. She had the right to use the logos in her video, but redistribution through another corporate entity (like MTV) is forbidden in absence of additional royalties.

Of course, MTV doesn't play videos, so this is kind of a moot point.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Goobers For Guts posted:

Hey, it was where Hulu sends you from the E-news feed.

I guess I understand blurring out the product placement, but why the menu? And it gives a different angle on the crotch shot.

Probably both for "content" reasons. One is a recipe (albeit a fake one) for poisoning someone's food and the crotch shot is... yeah.

Got to protect to delicate sensibilities of the children who are watching MTV between 2 and 4 AM on weekdays.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah because you know those kids are just gonna go and pick up some Tiberium after seeing the video

Just like kids were going to go do anything they saw in a music video after seeing it?

MTV/VH1/Whoever's music video censorship's never made any sense. Why should this be any different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

I have this fantasy of Gaga announcing a tour where she does stripped-down piano versions of her songs, maybe with a minimal backing band. And she does this in smaller venues for $30-$40 a ticket, where the tickets don't have to be outrageous to cover the cost of the crazy stage show.

I think the reason I have this fantasy is because with Gaga, it's not altogether impossible.

• Locked thread