Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Macrame_God posted:

Y'know, she seems very talented and all, but I don't know if I could ever really get into her music. I know this sounds retarded but there's something about liking her music just feels really...gay to me. Maybe I'm just too macho. :(

Considering she's the latest diva darling of the gay community and pretty much fits that whole image like a glove, it's not much of a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Remote Viewer posted:

Lady Gaga is awesome even if her music isn't my favorite. She's at least trying to do something different with pop.

She's the kind of person who's so committed to her crazy bullshit that you have to respect the dedication regardless of the end result.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

cat doter posted:

Wait, what? I said she'd mostly likely be popular without all the bullshit, but the PR guys feel the need to do it anyway.

Like Earwicker said, she's the one doing it, not her PR people, and she's doing it because she likes the theatrical aspects of performing as much as she likes her music.

Personally, I don't see the issue. All live shows are about the visuals as much as the sounds, even ones played by a bunch of guys in jeans in a lovely little bar. What's the problem with her playing up the theatricality of her stuff?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Macrame_God posted:

I'm looking at the related videos and there seems to be a lot of metal remixes of her work. I didn't know she had this wide an appeal.

Plenty of metal fans like things that are ostentatious and theatrical.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Cameo posted:

On Madonna and where she stands in the landscape of pop music: I imagine Gaga would tell you before anyone else it's because of Madonna pushing envelopes with how a pop star can act and the musical frontiers they can explore and how they can present themselves and transform their looks and styles and messages that her entire career can exist. I mean, yes, Gaga's immediate influences are Queen and club/house music, but being able to create a persona and adapt it and change it to what she wants to say at that moment? That's 100% Madonna.

Yeah, I think it's a bit odd to put Lady Gaga on a pedestal while brushing off Madonna as standard pop trash or something. Madonna already did a good chunk of this stuff back in the 80s and had her fair share of controversy over it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

HP Hovercraft posted:

This is true, it just seems to me that Lady Gaga aped her whole style without actually trying to make interesting music.

Bjork didn't invent eccentricity, and if you think she wasn't just as calculated with her image as Gaga is then you're naive. Bjork's Icelandic pixie image is a huge factor in her success and it's pretty easy to forget that a decade after she was big news. I love her music (though I found her last couple albums to be... uneven at best), but she didn't just wake up and say "I think I'll wear a swan to an awards ceremony today" as though it was divine suggestion.

And if Lady Gaga's ripping off anyone it'd be Madonna from the early 80s. Both the music and the image match a lot closer.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, that's a good song.

Man, some of those models are SO SKINNY. I know it's old hat to bring that up, and I usually love skinny girls, but good lord!

The whole point of fashion models is to essentially be walking coat hangers. They're supposed to be bland and disappear into the clothing. That they ever became considered a standard of beauty is a bizarre social fluke more than anything.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

That feels like something Spinal Tap would have made on an off day.

I don't know if that means I like it or not, but it's certainly a thing.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Thrust On Moore posted:

I think I really enjoyed it, just because it didn't feel like a blatant attempt for her to top herself again. The video was simple, colorful, and to the point. Unfortunately, the whole long-form music video can get really tiresome after awhile if it's all you release, and I definitely think she went the right route with this one. Bravo, Gags. :3:

Exactly. I've been waiting for another "standard" video for a while and this is a pretty drat well done one. As you said, she didn't feel like she was trying to top anything here and that really works in its favor.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Haifisch posted:

I also kept thinking "this sounds like it should be the credits song of a movie."

It sounds like it should play over the credits of a forgettable 80s movie, especially when the sax kicks in.

Not a fan of this one. It feels like a middling album track, not the third single.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I think most people just hope for something as good as The Fame Monster again.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

More like insufferably obnoxious. That said, it's not like I'm friends with her, I just like her music, so it doesn't matter if she's a bit of a blowhard.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hair and Marry The Night are both great, although Hair's beginning is a little iffy and Marry The Night is all about the ending.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

This is her most impressive album. It's not quite as "perfect" as Fame Monster, but that was only eight tracks, and it's miles ahead of The Fame.

I also like how not much of it sounds like her previous stuff. It's nice to see some growth in her music.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

This feels like this year's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". It's a huge, bombastic, ambitious monolith of ego and meticulous production, but it also happens to be outstanding.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

See, I really like the variety. I find The Fame to be an incredibly tiring album, and The Fame Monster is great but any more of it would be too much. This one covers a lot of ground and does most of it extremely well. And although it's hard for me to pick out the singles, it's remarkably easy for me to pick out songs I love.

Also, Hair remains fantastic. It's a Lisa Frank picture in music form, but she pulls it off because she's so drat into it that I just can't help but go along for the glittery rainbow ride.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Himuro posted:

Hair is weird to me. I like the song by itself, but within the context of the album I find it doesn't really fit.

I like it where it is because it feels like a natural extension of Americano, which is silly as all hell. And the transition between Hair and Schiße feels like going from the first half of the album to the second, especially since Hair and Edge of Glory feel like complimentary songs. It breaks the whole thing down a bit, which a 14 track hour-long pop album can definitely benefit from.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Judas feels like a compromise in case her new direction doesn't stick.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I have my doubts that she'll ever release another song with the impact of Bad Romance, since that was the moment a lot of people who aren't normally pop fans started taking her seriously, and it also resulted in her most thematically strong video. Definitely her best single all around in my opinion.

Fame Monster didn't hang together nearly as well as this does, though (this is praise for Born This Way, not an insult to Fame Monster).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Ghost Head posted:

I hated pop music, and still do for the most part, but I started taking Lady Gaga seriously when she released Paparazzi. That has always seemed under-represented when people talk about her definitive songs. It's a great segue into the Fame Monster.

Paparazzi was her springboard into the rest of her career. It's where all the music and imagery evolved from. Before that she was just another pop star with some fun dance songs and kinda odd outfits.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

FogHelmut posted:

Bloody Mary is Depeche Mode I've decided.

First thing I thought too. And it's better than most of what they've done on their last few albums.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Himuro posted:

holy poo poo

The version without the bonus tracks is better. :colbert:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

"man I like The Beatles" ... everyone knows exactly what these things sound like.

Not to pick on you, but this is one of the worst examples you could have chosen. I mean, in the time it took Lady Gaga to go from The Fame to Born This Way, The Beatles had gone from Please Please Me to Revolver, and over the duration of their relatively short existence they covered an obscene amount of ground.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Er, I don't really know how to explain it actually. The Beatles sound like The Beatles.

v:smith:v

So we're including Please Please Me, Yesterday, Tomorrow Never Knows, Revolution 9, and Come Together in this, right?

I mean, Lady Gaga's sound is a hell of a lot less varied than The Beatles so why couldn't someone just reply with "and Lady Gaga sounds like Lady Gaga"?

This is silly.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The Beatles went from Rock to experiemental? :wtc: am I listening to

This is why it's probably best to not use The Beatles as an example of a band maintaining a sound throughout their career. This is the only song of this sort they ever did, but they have a shitload of sounds that they only did once or twice.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jesus, this feels like they had six hours, a backlot, some lights and gels and a camera.

I get that between this and the album cover she's going for a home-made feel, but that only works if there's something charming or personal behind it. This is just a generic music video, only made incompetently.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

HookShot posted:

If it was a Katy Perry song everyone would probably think it's one of her best and be all over it, but it isn't Katy Perry and people expect more.

I really, really doubt this. It's not just "bad for Gaga," it's bad period. Even on a technical level it's barely passable considering it's designed for international broadcasting, and in terms of content absolutely nothing happens.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

RetroHelix posted:

I don't think the Kanye comparison fits. Legions of people think he's a pretentious rear end in a top hat. See the reaction to his BBC interview last month. There was a collective eye roll when he announced that his recent album would be titled "Yeesus."

Yeah, Kanye gets at least as much poo poo as Gaga does.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Lord Krangdar posted:

Kanye get criticized, sure, but ultimately the criticisms are generally treated as besides the point or just part of his charm.
And that'll remain true for as long as people keep loving his music. For people who don't like his music, the criticisms are most definitely not treated as "just part of his charm." It's not difficult to find extreme sputtering rage aimed at Kanye.

And let's be honest, if we're making the argument that Lady Gaga is a victim of bigotry, Kanye West is hardly the best example to bring up as a contrast.

quote:

What's the difference between being a "try-hard" and being ambitious?

Can you think of an example of a male "try-hard" celebrity/musician?
Ultimately it's just about whether it keeps people interested or not. Bono's shifted between the two for decades now, and though he seems untouchable now David Bowie was certainly accused of chasing trends he didn't understand in the mid-90s (even if those albums have held up better than a lot of their contemporaries). Marilyn Manson's also been brought up a few times as someone who started big and then wore out his welcome hard about three albums in, to the point where he's now a running joke.

I'm not going to deny that Gaga gets some poo poo a man wouldn't get, particularly when it comes to her body, but at the same time she's not beyond legitimate criticism or issues of personal preference. She's by far the most theatrical pop star we currently have, it shouldn't be surprising that an extreme personality is going to be polarizing, or that her deliberate attempts to provoke reactions are actually successful at doing so.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 15, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

TheJoker138 posted:

I've only heard the kind of stuff that's on the radio around here, which is all poo poo like Chris Brown, yeah. Tough guy poo poo, songs about loving, or songs about going to a club and then loving. Rap without any real edge done by people who can't really sing that well or rap.

Holy poo poo, "songs about loving" and "acting tough" are not some kind of uniquely defining features of rap. :psyduck:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Maximusi posted:

Just googled it and oh my dear God. That is soooo stupid. I can't stand most Japanese pop music but this is just the worst. What is this?? I mean it's not a band...And the difference is the music is terrible and auto tuned to hell. I don't know what a vocaloid is but God that sounds terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoTd918zhZc

Hatsune Miku is a completely fake virtual pop star. She doesn't actually exist in any capacity beyond the art and the voice synthesizer software, despite being hugely popular and having done many "live" shows. You could make a new Vocaloid song right now if you wanted to, and it'd be just as valid as any other. Seems right in line with the kind of thing Gaga would go for conceptually, in my opinion.

I also think she's a more interesting (unintentional) statement on modern pop music than anything Gaga's done for a while, but that's another discussion.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 17, 2014

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Gearhead posted:

(Ask a Sonic fan how their franchise is doing...)

On average, the best it's been since at least the Dreamcast? They turned things around a while ago.

But yeah, the Vocaloid games are... certainly a thing.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Singing Chav posted:

I still haven't listened to Artpop once yet. :eng99:

It's... okay, I guess. It's a continuation of all the dullest aspects of Gaga's music, without much of the quirk or bombast that's made her stand out in the past. If it came out in a few years that these were just a bunch of tracks she had lying around that got bunched together and released as a contractual obligation I wouldn't be surprised.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bennett's fine, Gaga's fine, but they're on totally different wavelengths. He's relaxed and cool, she's going for the rafters, and those are both legitimate approaches but they don't mesh at all.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

TheJoker138 posted:

Because I'm not insane and jump directly to "this endorses pedophilia" when I see a shirt of a cartoon character getting banged. It's a funny shirt. Lighten up.

Or assume Gaga is the new Gary Glitter because she wore an off color t-shirt, I guess. Do you think Axle Rose thinks Charles Manson is really God and is looking forward to the coming race war because he used to wear a Charlie Don't Surf shirt with Manson on it, too?

E: Also tell me how you know she's being portrayed as a teen. Her age is never said in the Disney movie, she's drawn as an adult both there and on the shirt, and at the end of the film she gets married to an obviously full grown man. I don't think Disney is advocating for child brides, so I'm gonna guess no, she isn't 14 even if that's one age she has been said to be in a fictional fairy tale that has changed countless times since it was first told.

What's the most offensive possible option here? I'm gonna go with that one and react accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

This sounds like something you'd reserve as one of the bonus tracks for a special edition of the album, not the lead single. It's fine, I guess, but it's hard to get enthusiastic about.

• Locked thread