Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I had boring saturday afternoon and decided to transfer couple of Pitchfork (:shobon:) top 100 lists into Spotify playlists, as much as I could.

Here's Pitchfork's top albums of 1990s and here's the playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/lunsku/playlist/0OG0sShb7v1eU5brRfKDpv
Some of the albums weren't on spotify, and some I had to sub with live albums, but still it's about two and a half days worth of listening.

Here's Pitchfork's top albums of 1980s and here's the playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/lunsku/playlist/6kpiYt2UZm8scJW5yhqMis
A bit more albums AWOL, still good over two days of music to listen.

(Edit: keep in mind that there are area restrictions in effect, so some albums that are available here in Finland might be out from the list for you, and vice versa)

It's worth mentioning that the Uggla numbers in the article few posts up actually are likely a bit wrong, as far as the initial record company investment on Spotify is concerned: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/07/AR2009080700891.html

I'm hoping Spotify makes it, I've had premium for a while now and most of my music listening is through it. Even stuff I have on shelf. I fire up iTunes just for transferring stuff to iPod anymore, and to listen to those albums not on the service.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Footy
Mar 17, 2007
I can't wait for Spotify to get released in Denmark. We're the only missing country in Scandinavia. I hate playing the waiting game!

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Added 70's top 100:
http://open.spotify.com/user/lunsku/playlist/4Kksof18dgCsOxOjROBcU3
http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/5932-top-100-albums-of-the-1970s/

Lot's of obvious poo poo missing from Spotify - Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin as the main offenders. But we have them on our shelf already, right?

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Does anyone in the UK want to log in to my account for me? I got the boot today haha.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Lunael posted:

Added 70's top 100:
http://open.spotify.com/user/lunsku/playlist/4Kksof18dgCsOxOjROBcU3
http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/5932-top-100-albums-of-the-1970s/

Lot's of obvious poo poo missing from Spotify - Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin as the main offenders. But we have them on our shelf already, right?

I don't know about you, but those would be the first I would put on my list. Even though I'm not a big fan of either, I would try and aim for the 50-somethings with money. It's shocking how many of them do not have records from their youth and would like to listen to them again.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

IndustrialPope posted:

I don't know about you, but those would be the first I would put on my list. Even though I'm not a big fan of either, I would try and aim for the 50-somethings with money. It's shocking how many of them do not have records from their youth and would like to listen to them again.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Spotify folks would be absolutely thrilled to get the deals for Pink Floyd stuff for example. Or folks at Harmonix negotiating music for Rock Band series. It's just my understanding that those bands (or should I say, those who own the rights to those bands records) have been pretty reluctant to loosen their music for the modern uses like this.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lunael posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Spotify folks would be absolutely thrilled to get the deals for Pink Floyd stuff for example. Or folks at Harmonix negotiating music for Rock Band series. It's just my understanding that those bands (or should I say, those who own the rights to those bands records) have been pretty reluctant to loosen their music for the modern uses like this.

If I remember correctly, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and AC/DC are or have been VERY restrictive about the digital market, simply because they can. That said, I'm pretty sure Floyd and Zeppelin have been on iTunes for quite some time and The Beatles are soon to follow.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
Yeah is there anyway to use spotify with a proxy so you don't get a 14 day trial in america? Or will some nice european chap log in for me. Please help this musician I need more talking heads!

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
So I'm in France, one of the participating countries, how come I can't sign up for the bloody thing? Do I still need an invite from someone?

e: went through a French proxy, everything works now. What. :iiam:

GROVER CURES HOUSE fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 5, 2009

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!
The mobile app (both iPhone and Android) was released today. The app itself is free, but requires a Premium account in order to work. I got it this afternoon and I really like it. Like with the regular version you can browse music and create playlists, but what sealed the deal for me was the ability to sync your playlists to your phone and play them while offline. Syncing was pretty fast and painless, as long as I didn't lose my 3G connection or had a wireless network nearby. If you like Spotify and are willing to cough up the cash, give it a try. :)

optiuum
Sep 9, 2006
Spotify is great. I just don't see how they can justify that £10 a month subscription. Thats about half what I pay for the internet itself.

optiuum
Sep 9, 2006

quote:

Does anyone in the UK want to log in to my account for me? I got the boot today haha.

edit: nvm, i forgot that sawful charges for pm

optiuum fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 11, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

optiuum posted:

Spotify is great. I just don't see how they can justify that £10 a month subscription. Thats about half what I pay for the internet itself.

How can you justify all artists on spotify splitting ad revenue and subscription revenue? That is nothing at all for the artists even compared to itunes. If I am wrong I would like the understand the model. I have a lot of friends with their music on spotify. How does payment work?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

optiuum posted:

edit: nvm, i forgot that sawful charges for pm

This combined with your post above just proves that you are a cheap bastard.

optiuum
Sep 9, 2006

Kaiho posted:

This combined with your post above just proves that you are a cheap bastard.

So i'm cheap. The free version of spotify works so well that £10 a month for an upgrade in quality and no-ads seems pretty excessive. I think its likely to put people off.

When Last.fm was just getting started it charged £1.50 a month for a similar, slight upgrade to personal radio and no-ads.

Rkelly posted:

How can you justify all artists on spotify splitting ad revenue and subscription revenue? That is nothing at all for the artists even compared to itunes. If I am wrong I would like the understand the model. I have a lot of friends with their music on spotify. How does payment work?

As far as I know their method for artist payment is a trade secret.

optiuum fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 12, 2009

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Does anyone have any like officially done playlists like the screenwipe/newswipe one because that was great and i discovered a lot of cool tunes on there!

any playlist i usually find on the web by users are pretty crap and basically just album after album play-listed.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

optiuum posted:

Reminder that £10 is what a single album costs if you, y'know, buy it.

optiuum
Sep 9, 2006

Three Red Lights posted:

Reminder that £10 is what a single album costs if you, y'know, buy it.

Yeah and the record labels are having no problems whatsoever with selling albums at that price lol.

optiuum fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 12, 2009

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Im not following you, surely £10 for unlimited music on demand for a month is a good deal whichever way you slice it? Are you saying that it should cost less than a single album? Of course if you were to compare it to just stealing it then its a bad deal but then that would just be a stupid comparison.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 12, 2009

optiuum
Sep 9, 2006

Three Red Lights posted:

Im not following you, surely £10 for unlimited music on demand for a month is a good deal whichever way you slice it? Are you saying that it should cost less than a single album? Of course if you compare it to just stealing it then its a bad deal but then thats just stupid.

Yes i'm saying it should cost less than a single album. I don't own any of the tracks on spotify. I can only listen to them on my computer, and to be frank I can already get streamed music on my computer for free, through spotify itself.

Retinend
May 17, 2008

They're inviting us to defeat them, we must oblige them!
For people who do have it - who's your least favourite answering-machine cock-end?

1) man who complains about the lack of Beatles tracks. "I'm sure you're sorting that out, though." I'm sure after receiving this they realised their oversight

2) man who complains about not being able to put the songs on your iPod. Clueless oval office. I especially hate his weaselly little " 'part from that good effort mate... yup" at the end.

3) the irredeemable tosser who bemoans the lack of Oasis, and finishes his message with a singalong to The Jam's 'David Watts'. Cast iron prick.

HM to the one who asks for 'more darnce' and the one who says she's been listening to 'some of the rock stuff as well'.

and why carnd their main spokesman on the ding pronounce the word 'spodify'? - id sounds like de guy has a cold or someding.

Chairman Matt
Oct 10, 2006

It's like standing in the playground staring at the ground, trying not to notice all the kids around
The free service is invite only again. Does anyone have an invite I could grab?

Pulled Pork Taco
Mar 27, 2008

Chairman Matt posted:

The free service is invite only again. Does anyone have an invite I could grab?

Me too, please. I don't have any invites since I was invited myself, and I'd like to get one for my friend.

Rummanging
Sep 26, 2008
I've got some invite codes spare, shall I just post them or do I actually have to email them to people?

Pulled Pork Taco
Mar 27, 2008

Rummanging posted:

I've got some invite codes spare, shall I just post them or do I actually have to email them to people?

Post with the most! I'll take #2.

Rummanging
Sep 26, 2008
8iVPkXtiRZVRiRgb
jAFShfpxSkJLmpMx
8sFdmw5nZP3AksiG
tXhx8JRVjxsVcfR7
Spy9wNV5aaWiNhmh
hNZM3eihCZXcUjZ5
Ku2DPyfV2gA7wKpq
8hVbSXSwbitgp84J
WBqbGqqwiXCaXMiZ
Z2amgw5N99EjXRhS

There's some for your enjoyment. Big thanks to Lunael for making those Pitchfork playlists, they're wicked cool.

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
I'm trying this JukeFly thing which is pretty sweet so far. I'll give Spotify a try when I get home. I run Linux at work and Spotify don't like them Linux folk.

Chairman Matt
Oct 10, 2006

It's like standing in the playground staring at the ground, trying not to notice all the kids around
Thanks!
I used hNZM3eihCZXcUjZ5

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Rummanging posted:

Ku2DPyfV2gA7wKpq

I used this code.

Because it was dressed suggestively.

Blazolie
Mar 19, 2006
I joined the SA forums and all I got was this title text.
Yay, thank you!

I used Z2amgw5N99EjXRhS

Pulled Pork Taco
Mar 27, 2008
Used jAFShfpxSkJLmpMx

Thank you very much!

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

teamgod posted:

I'm trying this JukeFly thing which is pretty sweet so far. I'll give Spotify a try when I get home. I run Linux at work and Spotify don't like them Linux folk.

It runs perfectly with wine

MrWithers
Nov 24, 2007

Rummanging posted:

8iVPkXtiRZVRiRgb
jAFShfpxSkJLmpMx
8sFdmw5nZP3AksiG
tXhx8JRVjxsVcfR7
Spy9wNV5aaWiNhmh
hNZM3eihCZXcUjZ5
Ku2DPyfV2gA7wKpq
8hVbSXSwbitgp84J
WBqbGqqwiXCaXMiZ
Z2amgw5N99EjXRhS

There's some for your enjoyment. Big thanks to Lunael for making those Pitchfork playlists, they're wicked cool.

Thank you, used this

WBqbGqqwiXCaXMiZ

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Rummanging posted:

8iVPkXtiRZVRiRgb
jAFShfpxSkJLmpMx
8sFdmw5nZP3AksiG
tXhx8JRVjxsVcfR7
Spy9wNV5aaWiNhmh
hNZM3eihCZXcUjZ5
Ku2DPyfV2gA7wKpq
8hVbSXSwbitgp84J
WBqbGqqwiXCaXMiZ
Z2amgw5N99EjXRhS

Used 8hVbSXSwbitgp84J

Failbird
Mar 19, 2009

I'm Batman
Thanks for tXhx8JRVjxsVcfR7

Tolli
Apr 20, 2004

All is full of love!
anyone try spotify on Itouch\Iphone yet?

I have had the program installed for a week on my Itouch and its loving brilliant. It lets me download 3000 tracks for offline listening and whenever im connected to a Wi-Fi it lets me search and use Spotify as I would on a computer.

Have connected my Itouch to my stereo and its just works.

Brilliant.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Tolli posted:

anyone try spotify on Itouch\Iphone yet?

I have had the program installed for a week on my Itouch and its loving brilliant. It lets me download 3000 tracks for offline listening and whenever im connected to a Wi-Fi it lets me search and use Spotify as I would on a computer.

Have connected my Itouch to my stereo and its just works.

Brilliant.

It's incredible, I'm convinced it's the pinnacle of all human achievement

bleees
Jul 11, 2001

This Avatar is self referential
hEgYPs96Ayf8h7Mj
By98zL7FfuUSxg8N
6MxFy32h2P8fGXPH
d6dYdsXTKdcZ3Xft
wiFJz7BPJzF7egZ4

Last three were sent to people before, but have remained unused. They should still work though.

Mr Stabby
Sep 12, 2007
stab stab stab
Thanks for wiFJz7BPJzF7egZ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

bleees posted:

hEgYPs96Ayf8h7Mj
By98zL7FfuUSxg8N
6MxFy32h2P8fGXPH
d6dYdsXTKdcZ3Xft
wiFJz7BPJzF7egZ4

Last three were sent to people before, but have remained unused. They should still work though.

Thanks for d6dYdsXTKdcZ3Xft .

• Locked thread