Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Well, the old one is also parts web/HTTP based. But I would also like to know how the new one feels in terms of speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

On the Android app when I'm in a playlist is there a way to display the album name for each track? I know I can sort by album but I'm still just getting a list of track titles. I use playlists to group artists together and I'd like to be able to see where one album starts and the next begins. I notice I can tap the "..." and select "album" and it takes me to the full album of whichever song I selected, but that's a guessing game and too many steps.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Finally found out about spotify's connect feature. I can remote control my phone with my tablet. Now if the desktop client supported connect so I didn't need to keep my phone plugged to my amp. :spotify:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Finally found out about spotify's connect feature. I can remote control my phone with my tablet. Now if the desktop client supported connect so I didn't need to keep my phone plugged to my amp. :spotify:

have you tried Spotify Remote?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Is it possible to switch between bit rates while listening to a song?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

bpower posted:

Is it possible to switch between bit rates while listening to a song?

Relating to this, if you have streaming bit rate set higher than the download one, will the higher streaming bit rate override when you're on wifi? I have dl set lower to save space,,,

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Relating to this, if you have streaming bit rate set higher than the download one, will the higher streaming bit rate override when you're on wifi? I have dl set lower to save space,,,

The winamp skin posted earlier shows the bit rate of the current song. That might help you figure it out.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Charlie Mopps posted:

I think they are already rolling out Collections. Since yesterday i've got a 'Your Music' below the apps:

and a new button to save music to it:

Clicking on artists give you this:

which can be sorted by name, recently added and most played.

Clicking on the name gives you a list of all songs you saved to 'your music'.

Albums gives you this:

and clicking on the name once again gives you a list of songs.
How can we get this again? I'm still stuck with the old Spotify.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

89 posted:

How can we get this again? I'm still stuck with the old Spotify.

You mean the current Spotify :colbert:

Being a student in the US sucks because of all the loans, but good news for you guys today: https://www.spotify.com/us/student/

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Rexides posted:

You mean the current Spotify :colbert:

Being a student in the US sucks because of all the loans, but good news for you guys today: https://www.spotify.com/us/student/

This is indeed very goods news.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sucks to be a non-US student though.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
The iOS and desktop apps updated today, allegedly with collections finally added. My iPhone app updated, sans collections. I guess that feature is rolling out slowly.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

illcendiary posted:

The iOS and desktop apps updated today, allegedly with collections finally added. My iPhone app updated, sans collections. I guess that feature is rolling out slowly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1I6-wv0p8k

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

"Available Now"

Is it really?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

"Available Now"

Is it really?

Yes and no. Looking through the Spotify community pages and all it seems as though a lot of people are getting it. It's one of those slow rollout things. Also the "Your Music" thing is in beta and you can sign up for that through the community page, http://community.spotify.com/ (it's on the sidebar to the right).

Looks like the iOS app already updated and collections there is also going through a rollout. The Android update is as usual "on its way" whatever that means.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I still don't have it, despite trying to download the new player.

Damnit why don't any of the other music services have a desktop client.

Black Shadow
Mar 21, 2014

by XyloJW
It really irks me to read that Spotify has updated their UI completely (something I'd get excited about) just to find out it's not even released on my devices yet. Lame.

The online player is updated however. http://play.spotify.com/

Black Shadow
Mar 21, 2014

by XyloJW
What the hell Spotify?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So the updated ios player takes away the ability to just tap the album cover to get info (like if you want to quickly star something while driving), and makes you hit a tiny little info button instead...

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

So the updated ios player takes away the ability to just tap the album cover to get info (like if you want to quickly star something while driving), and makes you hit a tiny little info button instead...

For gently caress's sake. :ughh:

Lock screen isn't showing the correct song either.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 2, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Goddammit Spotify. They made it drat near impossible to do any loving thing while driving now. The shuffle and repeat buttons are super tiny now as well (something I commonly adjust while driving). Same with all the other important functionality that is now relegated into a menu only accessible through a tiny rear end button.

So basically now you can hit play/pause, next/prev track and that is about it (so: all the poo poo you can already do through the lock screen UI). Even while not driving I'm having trouble tapping most of these new targets.

At least it is showing the correct info on the lock screen/bottom drawer thing for me.

edit: PS spotify's radio was terrible when it launched so I've never bothered with it. looks like that hasn't improved either.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 2, 2014

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

iOS Spotify still hasn't fixed the sleep timer.

If you set a timer and 'Stop Playing' as the alarm, Spotify fades out and goes right back to playing when it goes off.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The new iOS app is terrible. People have brought up the tiny buttons already, but it takes for loving ever to load the album art / info for a new song.

This is really only a big deal in play offline playlists, because the song will start playing ~5 seconds before the app visually indicates a new song has started. If you try to skip the song in that window the app freaks out.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

The new iOS app is terrible. People have brought up the tiny buttons already, but it takes for loving ever to load the album art / info for a new song.

This is really only a big deal in play offline playlists, because the song will start playing ~5 seconds before the app visually indicates a new song has started. If you try to skip the song in that window the app freaks out.

Mine has also crashed a few times while the last version had no issues really. We can never have good things!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I mean look at this poo poo

When you hit the (...) button it brings that thing up. To go to the artist page you have to scroll to the bottom of the list. But the whole list could fit on the screen without scrolling so I guess they did this to make room for... The blue-black gradient at the top? Why did they do this

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Eegah posted:

I mean look at this poo poo

When you hit the (...) button it brings that thing up. To go to the artist page you have to scroll to the bottom of the list. But the whole list could fit on the screen without scrolling so I guess they did this to make room for... The blue-black gradient at the top? Why did they do this

My guess is that these buttons are less moronic looking on an iPad? I really have no idea. I have tiny, girlish hands and even I'm struggling to hit the right button to shuffle or pull up artist information.

They 100% fixed something that wasn't broken by breaking it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

My guess is that these buttons are less moronic looking on an iPad? I really have no idea. I have tiny, girlish hands and even I'm struggling to hit the right button to shuffle or pull up artist information.

And there's no reason to have it as one vertical list with so much space on the right. The grid they had before was fine.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 3, 2014

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
It looks like they took away the Library button on the desktop client because of this half-baked Your Music implementation. Is there a way to shuffle the music on all of your playlists now?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Charlie Mopps posted:

The Spotify library is a piece of poo poo and no excuses can be made for it. Rdio's Collection feature does it so much better:

It has all your artists, albums and songs, you can remove things from here and you can see what albums you've got synced to your mobile. Spotify's playlist based method is just clunky compared to how Rdio does it. Spotify has been working on this same feature for the past 1,5 year and still hasnt managed to release it for some reason.

And Spotify is also great at removing things like view album covers from playlists, which was a helpful feature given the lack of a Collection like Rdio has. They said they were working on some 'cool new things' for their collection feature, and that's why they removed it, but that was in april 2013 so :lol:.

Ok. Rdio looks sweet, this is pretty much what I am looking for. No desktop app though? How's the responsiveness of the web interface? More importantly, does it allow multiple family members to share/use a single account?

I come from the Zune Pass world. Zune was perfect for me but they started loving with their library avalibility way too much, even more than spotify does, so I cancelled. Spotify has a great library, but limits number of active users using an account. I share my music sub with my wife, because she listens to music as much as anyone here does. Spotify stops playing when she puts on a song, and likewise when I do, unless I remember to offline a playlist and set spotify in offline mode. My text message history with her is the normal poo poo married couples talk about and a whole lot of "STOP PLAYING MUSIC rear end in a top hat" messages.

I really miss Zune/Xbox music whatever a whole bunch. I really wish the catalog fuckery was finalized, there was never a problem playing any drat thing I wanted to hear, at any drat time. This is the reason, the only reason, that I have a subscription service... sometimes one has to play Warren G suddenly.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If Rdio could play local music I would try it out, but afaik it doesn't.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

PaganGoatPants posted:

If Rdio could play local music I would try it out, but afaik it doesn't.

I have an Mp3s folder as well organized as every other goon, complete with every Ace of Base live recording. Rdio needs to support my horrible taste in music before I switch. Thanks.

spatula massacre
Aug 2, 2012

I don't want to be your little research monkey boy, the creature that I am is only going to destroy.
So many bugs in the new iOS update. I am not a fan.

To start with playlists are now incredibly awkward to read/navigate. The black and green looks like something from an early 80's sci-fi movie...
Frequent app crashes when scrolling through songs etc.
They have made it incredibly difficult to navigate the new (...) when you're not giving it 100% attention.

Maybe one nice thing they've implemented is the filter function on playlists, but, that's about as far as the 'pros' list goes..

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

caiman posted:

On the Android app when I'm in a playlist is there a way to display the album name for each track? I know I can sort by album but I'm still just getting a list of track titles. I use playlists to group artists together and I'd like to be able to see where one album starts and the next begins. I notice I can tap the "..." and select "album" and it takes me to the full album of whichever song I selected, but that's a guessing game and too many steps.

Since nobody answered this I'm assuming the answer is it can't be done?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I havent used the iPad app in a while but it used to be completely different from the iPhone version.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

caiman posted:

Since nobody answered this I'm assuming the answer is it can't be done?

As far as I know, it can't be done.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

inSTAALed posted:

As far as I know, it can't be done.

Screw! :(

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

I havent used the iPad app in a while but it used to be completely different from the iPhone version.

The iPad interface hasn't been updated yet.

Or downdated in this case.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Eegah posted:

The iPad interface hasn't been updated yet.

Or downdated in this case.

I've only been using the updated iPhone app for a few days now and looking back at the previous version, it's incredibly obvious that the app needed a fresh coat of paint. God drat is the old version ugly and dated. It's too bad that the new version has some questionable layout choices and is laggy to boot.

All I want is my loving Collections functionality. It's inexcusable at this point. It took this long to implement, it's finally announced, the app is updated, and the stupid feature still isn't there. Incredible.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Who gives a poo poo if the app looks modern or not if you cant use it. I wrote a complaint to Spotify about the new iOS app and an actual human responded. He said theyve been inundated with complaints just like mine so hopefully it will be remedied in the next update... Months from now. Too bad you cant downgrade :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

Who gives a poo poo if the app looks modern or not if you cant use it. I wrote a complaint to Spotify about the new iOS app and an actual human responded. He said theyve been inundated with complaints just like mine so hopefully it will be remedied in the next update... Months from now. Too bad you cant downgrade :(

You mean YEARS from now. Didn't they annouce collections in 2012 or something?

Are we ever going to get album view back? :suicide:

• Locked thread