Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I often start by politely introducing myself to the person. Then, if the encounter is agreeable and the potential for further engagement exists, I usually make plans for a future social interaction with said person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Are these bands aware that they're just loving over follow musicians with Eternify? More streams doesn't mean Spotify pays more, it means royalties are diluted futher and other bands make less.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
You're not totally off base, but Taylor Swift's case is an anomaly when it comes to streaming. For starters, she writes all of her own music. No co-writer means no royalties to split. On top of that, not only is she one of, in not the biggest act around, she's by far the biggest act on her label. There's a lot of incentive there for both her and her label to keep each other happy.

Her gripe has been with free and devalued streams. Spotify's "problem" is that they offer a free tier of service paid for by ads and It pays a fraction of the royalties earned through their subscription service. Spotify wouldn't pull her album from the free service so Taylor took her tunes and walked. She had a similar issue with Apple. Apple had planned to not pay ANYTHING for their first 3 months of operation, but that all changed in the past few days. From what I've seen as of late, though, Apple still plans to pay less per stream than Spotify. "But we're Apple and more people are on Apple so that equals bigger royalty pools!" Not sure why she's ok with that, but I'm sure a large advance was involved.

The major labels have their hands and all of this mess and their bitching is a ploy to keep crying poor. (They all own stakes in Spotify, btw. :ssh:) What streaming has really done is expose how many middlemen are in the industry. There's a dozen people between the listener and artist and each of these people get a cut before the artist sees a dime. (Or $0.00075.)

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I haven't figured out a way to do so other than adding the tracks to a separate playlist and then making that one available offline.

Not exactly convenient, but it works. (New thread title?)

• Locked thread