Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Is there a way to see all new releases by my followed artists? Following seems sort of useless and annoying, since I get a lot of updates about what they're listening to or some playlist they shared. 'Discover' has nothing like what I want.

All I want is a list of the most recently added songs and albums by the artists that I like. Possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Well that seems like a stupid oversight.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Google Play is better, made the switch like 6 months ago. Favorite things: can upload your own music (like rap mixtapes [like Couch Life said]) and the web app allows you to rate with 5 stars (not just thumbs up/down). Also I think their explore/follow new music stuff is better. I wish they had smart playlists (Spotify doesn't either).

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

thathonkey posted:

Lol google play music all access what a loving stupid name for a service. But i may consider switching anyway due to spotify's trend of making the worst software decisions ive ever seen.

Is the google stream library actually comparable to spotify in terms of breadth and getting new releases on schedule? That's the only reason i have stayed

yes. it's not a 1:1 match, each is missing a few things from the other. but it's pretty solid.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
On OS X you can use Bearded Spice for media keys: http://beardedspice.com/

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

thathonkey posted:

using a google service is considered being tech progressive?

like how gmail is more tech progressive than aol, hotmail, yahoo, etc. nerds use the google thing.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Google Play changed their layout and I think it got worse. They removed 5 star ratings. It's all thumbs now.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

GTO posted:

Do you really need five stars? I mean, how often do you think, 'I'd really like to listen to some 2* mediocre music right now'?

2* is for songs that are alright but really only listen to as part of an album. 1* is never ever again.

If Apple's new streaming service works with their smart playlist features and 5 stars, it would be great. You could have a 5* playlist with all your favorite songs, and a 4-5* when you want a little more variety but something you still like.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Apple's new thing is right around the corner and if it's basically iTunes + unlimited music for $10 it will be perfect.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Treemeister posted:

I'm not so certain that we can say anything about whether Apple's offer won't settle for good enough. I'm definitely not interested if we're restricted to just a mobile app.

it will work in iTunes on desktop.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Google Play changed their layout and I think it got worse. They removed 5 star ratings. It's all thumbs now.

... Apple removed the loving stars. Now it's heart or no heart. Even worse than Spotify and Google.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

queertea posted:

Stars are still there, relax. Tap either side of the artist/song name when it's playing.

Awesome! Thanks. That seems pretty unintuitive/hidden, but I'm glad it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
You can't make a smart playlist of 'Loved' songs from radio without also manually adding them to 'My music'. :|

I'm going to end up on Apple Music, but it is needlessly complicated and there are a lot of weird differences between your library and the whole collection that Google Music and Spotify don't have.

• Locked thread