Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I've been using the Premium Version (10 bucks a month) for a while now, and I've really fallen in love with Spotify. There ARE still some annoying holes in the catalogue, but the program is incredibly easy and barely needs any ressources at all. As nice as the integrated Radio is, it would also be cool if they expanded the possibilities for searching and browsing the catalogue a bit.

EDIT: Not sure if it was already posted somewhere, but Spotify is also planning to launch in the US this summer:
http://www.grindefx.com/spotify-plan-to-launch-in-the-us-this-summer/

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Charlie Mopps posted:

Well, the first backlash has arrived: an artist claiming the amount he gets paid isnt worth the trouble:

Interesting...I'd like to hear more about this case. As it is his statement is pretty worthless without any number on how often he was actually played. Not being from Sweden I know nothing about him, but from what I gather from Wikipedia he's not what I'd call a young and hip artist, so perhaps his target audience are not the people who are likely to use Spotify.

Three Red Lights posted:

Honestly the whole thing does seem too good to be true. I've been listening for the last 20 minutes on the free service and have havent heard an ad (ok actually one came on as I was about to hit post but still) Wheres the profit coming from?

There is at least some advertising revenue, and also there are people like me who pay 10 bucks a month for the premium service. Since Spotify uses some kind of P2P technology, server costs probably aren't as high as they would otherwise be either.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 13, 2009

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lunael posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Spotify folks would be absolutely thrilled to get the deals for Pink Floyd stuff for example. Or folks at Harmonix negotiating music for Rock Band series. It's just my understanding that those bands (or should I say, those who own the rights to those bands records) have been pretty reluctant to loosen their music for the modern uses like this.

If I remember correctly, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and AC/DC are or have been VERY restrictive about the digital market, simply because they can. That said, I'm pretty sure Floyd and Zeppelin have been on iTunes for quite some time and The Beatles are soon to follow.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

sharktamer posted:

So the android app updated to a completely separate app, meaning all my offline cached music has been deleted. My office has practically zero reception so now I'm stuck here with nothing to listen to.

Thanks spotify. You could add least give me the option to update to this new app later rather than making the old one immediately useless.

Since apparently this was due to a security concern I guess they decided the inconvenience was worth it, considering the shitstorm they would receive if there were some actual huge security breaches.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Probably stupid question: was it always possible to show the exact number how often a certain track has been played by hovering over the popularity bar? I've been using Spotify for a year now, and I've only just noticed this. It's actually kinda neat if statistics like these interest you.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Rexides posted:

It seems that Spotify is hosting an open beta for the new version of the desktop client. You can install it side by side with the current client, so it won't be that difficult to switch back if you can't bear all the beta related bugs.

Jesus Christ, when you have organized playlists in folders, clicking the folder won't display the songs from all playlists anymore :(! I know the guys at Spotify are concerned not to feature bloat their software, but if they remove that functionality it will seriously piss me off.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

thathonkey posted:

Hrmm i always dismissed that view as being useless that is interesting. I could see it and i wouldnt consider it bloat to leave it in... Spotify makes a bunch of weird rear end choices with their UI and featureset in general.

I guess it's just the weird way I like my music organized, which is by year/decade. Right now it's easy for me to listen to all my 90s music on shuffle (and yes, listening by decade is something I do all the time).

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

cebrail posted:

In positive news: The new design, while loving up a ton of stuff obviously, has a killer feature. It actually closes the program if you click on the X.

While that is nice, I still can't get over that selecting a playlist folder now doesn't display all the songs from the playlist it contains anymore. That's such a huge step backwards for me, it's ridiculous.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PaganGoatPants posted:

What update? I'll be sure to avoid it. Spotify have the worst devs/decision makers.

Spotify is actually very, very good at avoiding feature creep. It's just that sometimes I'm completely befuddled at what they decide to cut.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Quite ironic that I have to post this in the Spotify thread (is there a general streaming thread?), but that Tidal livestream is just embarrassing.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
ALL of my friends use Spotify. Literally all of them. I can send someone a link to a song on Spotify and I know that they'll be able to listen to it. That market penetration is just unbeatable for now.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

queertea posted:

Any of you planning on checking out Tidal? I wonder how it compares to Spotify.

I've been using it this week, and unless you're an audiophile, I don't think there really is much of a reason to switch. If Spotify has a specific bug that currently makes it unusable for you, you might want to check it out, but I've been mostly underwhelmed.

My biggest gripe is that their artist pages are a complete mess. Similar named artists are thrown together. I can kinda understand that for smaller artists, Spotify isn't perfect in that regard either. But if I open the artist page for, say, Genesis, and am presented with albums from at least five different artists, I really can't be bothered. Multiple versions of albums are not collapsed in any way, EVER. Again, that's a feature that's a bit unreliable in Spotify as well, but the fact that it's not there at all makes some artist pages very cluttered. And don't get me started on the even more unpredictable way when and why Singles appear under Albums. The search function is also a bit peculiar in the way the results are ordered. So all in all, the way the main content is displayed is a lot worse than on Spotify in my eyes.

Their library is just about the same as Spotify, with mostly the same holes in it. Yes, they have the Taylor Swift back catalogue. But if you're looking for Björk's Vulnicura, or Peter Gabriel, or AC/DC you're out of luck on Tidal as well. Tidal for some reason displays all of the albums of an artist on the artist page, even if they're unavailable for streaming. While on Spotify, an unavailable album can be simply identified by the missing cover art, this is not the case on Tidal. You have to click on each album to see on the album page if you can actually listen to it, which is very annoying. How positively surprised I was when I saw all of George Harrison's albums pop up on his page! How disappointed I was when I finally found out that I can't stream any of them!
Also, there are some cases where I've been missing stuff that's on Spotify (e.g. "Giza" by "Gatekeeper"). Videos are integrated into the service, which is nice, I guess? It's just not what I need a music streaming app for at all, though your mileage may vary.

Their editorial content (i.e. playlists) is pretty good, right now even a bit more interesting than what Spotify has to offer. However, some of the artist currated playlists pretty much scream :effort:.

Some nice Spotify features like shared playlists or playlist folders don't exist. The same goes for adding local files. The Android app seems to work fine. There is no desktop app available, so when you're on your PC/Mac you have to use the web player, which is another minus in my book.

All of that is already enough to make me stick with Spotify for now. But Tidal has a free trial period, so I can only suggest to test it if you're unhappy with Spotify's current incarnation. If anyone has had a different experience I'd also like to hear about it. Most of the stuff you find online right now is people (rightfully) complaining about the ridiculous marketing campaign.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 3, 2015

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Tidal has the same vor "Harlem" ;). And yeah, that's why I mentioned that the artist pages on Spotify aren't great either. But they seem to put some effort into cleaning them up, at least for larger artists.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

thathonkey posted:

Yeah 5 stars is pretty stupid i would always pick 1 or 5 and im sure google has researched this against their existing userbase before making the change unlike, say, spotify

I know it's fun to bash on Spotify and I've done it in this very thread, but they obviously A/B test their poo poo extensively as well: http://www.infoq.com/presentations/ab-testing-spotify

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Red_Fred posted:

With the thumb system you get three choices though. Thumb down is bad, nothing is average, thumb up is good. It doesn't force you to up or down it.

That's not really intuitive though. And how do you differentiate between "average" and "not rated yet"?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I can reorder playlists in the Windows client. However, one must remember to first deactivate any kind of column sorting first. No idea if it synchronizes with my phone though.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I've been checking out the new Muse album on Spotify and noticed that one track, the 10 minute "The Globalist", actually says "The Globalist - Premium Only". When did Spotify start offering songs only for premium customers? I thought offering the same library for free and premium customers was one of their prime principles?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is this a real thing now? :wtf:

It sure looks like it. I've not set up an additional non-premium account to test it though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
For me, switching to Apple Music (when it becomes available for Android) would pretty much depend on one thing: the library. If they ACTUALLY managed to get streaming rights for The Beatles, Peter Gabriel and a lot of the other Spotify holdouts, I might actually be swayed to switch, as much as I would hate to throw more money into Apple's mouth.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'll believe that it's really the whole library (including, say, The loving Beatles) when I see it with my own eyes on June 30. And if it's true, that would be pretty awesome.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

DominoDancing posted:

I'll believe that it's really the whole library (including, say, The loving Beatles) when I see it with my own eyes on June 30. And if it's true, that would be pretty awesome.

Sad trombone: http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/8/8745963/the-beatles-apple-music

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

queertea posted:

Some of my favorite musicians are posting links to Eternify on Facebook.

What a bunch of dicks who either haven't understood how Spotify works or didn't care that this would negatively effect everyone else at the same time. Would you care to share the musicians you are talking about, so I can be sure to remove them from my playlists if they're on there?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Ah well, not my kind of music, but I wasn't too serious about that anyway ;). It just bothers me when bands (and I'm not talking about I:Scintilla in particular) complain about artists being hosed over, when after all the don't really care about artists in general and have no problem loving them over themselves if they can gain from it.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
For now I'm sticking with Spotify because
a) there's no Android app yet
b) the desktop version of iTunes/Apple Music is a laggy, overcomplex piece of poo poo

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I have literally no idea what feature you guys are talking about.

EDIT: I see, I guess I'll have to wait until my desktop application gets updated.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 21, 2015

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Okay, I'm only seven songs deep into my first Discover Weekly playlist, but I have to say I'm impressed. Lot's of good stuff I've never heard before, and the two songs I didn't like were not really that far off the mark either.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Ha, that's fun! I "discovered" Neon Jungle, Say Lou Lou and Kiesza.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6813853/the-beatles-streaming-christmas-eve-sources

The news/report is a couple of days old already, but if this turns out to be true and The Beatles will really be available on Spotify/Apple Music/... starting on the 24th I'll have one very merry Christmas this year.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Yeah, all of the albums the Kinks released on Arista and RCA are there now. All that's missing is the post 1984 stuff, outside of Phobia, where they switched labels all the time. I also just noticed that a couple of days ago and have been binging through a lot of the records they released after Lola which I had never heard before.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

And there they are, on my Spotify. I still can't believe it, I was sure they were gonna hold out for another year or two.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Paper With Lines posted:

It is funny to me that the most played Beatles song only has a million plays. I wonder how long it'll take to skyrocket.

The top songs on the Beatles page are super weird right now though. If you look at Love Me Do for example, it has over 3 million streams, and it doesn't even appear in the top 10.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Spikes32 posted:

I remember reading that this is mostly because of bad contracts they have with their record companies where most of online streaming revenue goes to the company. Anyone know if this is correct or not?

The thing is, Spotify's free tier generally generates less money than it's premium tier, no matter where that money then goes. Tidal and Apple Music don't have a free tier, which is why on average a stream on those services will pay out more (again, not considering where that money goes).
Since I prefer Spotify as a service over Tidal and Apple Music, I personally would love for them to get rid of their free tier, so that all those headaches disappear.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 9, 2016

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

thathonkey posted:

That seems like it would be impossible to enforce without severely limiting their existing service

Oh now don't give them any more ideas, as we've seen they're quite into limiting their existing service.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I've also had some extremely bad experiences with the Android client in the last couple of months. Endless loading indicators when opening playlists or songs not starting for ages (even though they're marked as downloaded). And the strange thing is that it happens on Wifi, so it's most definitely not a connectivity issue.
I have been totally unable to find out if it's connected to some kind of specific user behavior. For a moment I thought it was a synchronization problem when I having Spotify opened on multiple devices, but the issue also appears when I most definitely only have it running on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I agree that Release Radar is pretty cool, and if you think about it, a very "obvious" feature. At least I'm kinda wondering why it hasn't already been there fore years.

• Locked thread