Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

rckstar79 posted:

That's really helpful. Thanks. Is there a good place to search for public playlists? I'm seeing several results in Google, but wondering if there's a go-to location.

Someone already posted this in this thread, but

http://sharemyplaylists.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Does anyone here use Rhapsody? I switched from MOG because their android app was half-baked. A lot of people are talking up Rdio and just curious if anyone's compared the two.

Enjoyed the shared playlist component of Spotify, but it doesn't make sense compared to alternatives IF you decide to pay for a service.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Lavender Philtrum posted:

So after 6 months I either have to pay $10 a month or get a bunch of lovely caps? Seems a little dishonest considering I didn't see anything about it when signing up, as though they're pretty much only offering unlimited w/ ads to get you hooked on it so they can go "ha ha, no, 5 track listen limit and 10 hour max now. buy unlimited."

"How quickly the world owes you something you didn't even know existed five minutes ago" - Louis C.K.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Mello Yello posted:

I don't mind the 10 dollar account. If this service really allows access to tons of albums to stream just whenever I feel like it that's pretty amazing. I am worried by the amount of lawsuits the US will try to slam it with though.

How established is Spotify in Europe? Will it be able to withstand patent trolls and the ilk or will I pay for a service that will be targeted by idiots and be like "gently caress the US we're going back to Europe where people appreciate us"

Edit: So many questions I know but I'm super on the fence and just about to fall in favor of the program.

I think that this is less of an issue, because it's not as though you would be "stuck" with anything if, all of a sudden, Spotify disappeared. You're paying for a directly-received service, you're not buying anything. It's not like people who bought a bunch of DRM-protected songs from Napster, then got stuck when Napster disabled their authorization system.

For example, I'm getting ready to switch from Rhapsody to Rdio. I've already switched from Mog once before, though, and will switch out of Rdio if it doesn't meet my needs. No harm, no foul.

Spotify's social aspect, combined with the broader userbase you get with a "free product," really intrigues me, but I hate the way that Spotify handles my library. I use Musicbrainz instead of Gracenote, and Spotify scatters my library across multiple albums and unrecognized tracks because it can't handle a "(feat.)" mention in a track title. I'd rather not have that spill over into my mobile experience.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

strokevictim posted:

Been hit by this issue the past 2 days... anyone else?

http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/_cant_play_the_current_track_loop_of_doom

"Can't play the current track" loop of DOOM
"Can't play the current track" keeps popping up when I should be getting advertisements"

Seems something is broken with the ads

I'm getting this a lot recently. If you remove the ads from the play queue, it usually just continues without a problem.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Earwicker posted:

Somebody's lawyers were unable to get in touch with somebody else's lawyers or their estate's lawyers.

Sort of yeah. Probably the song or songs have different songwriters (or rightsholders, whatever), which results in the difference.

Ironically, the problem may be that the rights AREN'T all consolidated at the label.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
EDIT: Probably some bullshit open tab. Apologies, carry on.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 7, 2011

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Undead Zombie posted:

Yeah, if you're logged out of facebook and go to the sign up page, it will tell you that you need a facebook account to sign up. The latest update also put really annoying white "share on facebook" boxes in front of every track name. My account isn't even linked to facebook in any way.

Spotify needs some competitors now because I'm switching as soon as one appears somewhere.

There are, like, 5 of them already. Unless you're out of the United States (sorry for presuming).

I really like Spotify, but I'm literally gobsmacked at how they've managed to self-identify as groundbreaking when it comes to on-demand streaming.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I've Googled the hell out of this... if I could resolve this, I would pretty much dive headfirst into Spotify. Has anyone figured out a reason/solution for Spotify arbitrarily dividing albums from your local library?

I have everything tagged with Musicbrainz, which I can accept may be screwing up things in some situations (featured artists in title, for example). Still, that doesn't seem to be the consistent source of the issue. I've tried to retag some albums, but it doesn't seem to consistently fix the problem. Basically, nothing is consistent about it, and it's driving me up the wall.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 29, 2011

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

slowdave posted:

I'm not sure but I think it's just getting conflicting metadata or something from the Spotify database. Maybe try right clicking + "Unlink Tracks",

That... works? I'm not sure. It looks as though it pulls it out of the Spotify "system," which makes the tags appear proplery It wouldn't be so bad if there were some rhyme or reason to how the linking/recognition process works.

Nuts to this: the thing works fine for free streaming. I'll just stick to Mediamonkey for the rest.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I imagine that most here are already on it, but you can find a beta for the new apps version of Spotify if you go through the Swedish site.

http://www.spotify.com/se/download/previews/

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Does anyone playing with the new beta have Spotify mobile? I'm using Rdio currently on a two week trial, and am very impressed with its Android app. Curious to know how or if the apps integrate with the mobile spotify app.

I see that pitchfork lets you save its albums as playlists, but is that the current extent of it?

Separate note: Pitchfork has a presence on Rdio. Kinda annoyed that they haven't committed as much there, since they were there first.

EDIT: mobile, not premium.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Figured that might be the case. All the promotion has been conspicuously silent regarding the apps.

I may drop the $20 and try both services for a month. I listen to rdio a lot on the phone, but I pretty much exclusively listen to (and rate songs from) spotify at my desktop. If the app is good (enough), I may just switch.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

stubblyhead posted:

Does spotify allow account sharing within the same household on the unlimited or premium versions? I don't think I could justify getting both my wife and I a subscription, but if we could share one and use it at the same time we probably would. The free version stops playback on one machine if another starts playing with the same account; do the pay versions do likewise?

If paying itself isn't a dealbreaker, Rdio does a second account at 50% thing (third account at 20%, I believe).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

stubblyhead posted:

Hmm, that may work... Link?

Writing from my phone. Not too easy to play with links. Rdio.com will get you started, sorry I can't give more info right now.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

http://www.rdio.com/#/management/subscriptions/

but he got the percentages flipped. It's $10 for one, $18 for two, $23 for three.

Ah, crap. That's barely worth a drat, then. Sorry.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Trying Spotify's free trial for the month. Can you really not create new playlists on the phone itself? I can't manipulate individual songs from my library, and when I can add a song, it's only to an existing playlist.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Earwicker posted:

Yes, you can. When you are playing a track, hit the "i" button in the upper right corner. Then hit "Add to..." which takes you to the list of existing playlists. When you get to this list hit the "+" button in the upper right hand corner. This creates a new playlist starting with that song.

Figured it out. Can't create a playlist from a seed song, but can build a new, empty playlist and add to it. (Android, Earwicker's suggestion doesn't apply).

EDIT: On the Zune question, it's extremely similar as a model... down to the wifi sync. Despite some gripes, I really like that it doesn't distinguish between my local library and my cloud files, which was a great part of the zune ecosystem. I haven't used Zune or the pass since the first generation, so I can't give UI details, unfortunately.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 3, 2012

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Sorry, but it's really dumb that you have to be playing a song to add it to a playlist. It defeats the whole point of building a playlist on your mobile device.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Earwicker posted:

Yes it's annoying and bad design, but it doesn't take that long.

It's not a question of time. Like you said, it's bad design. It also eliminates the ability to multitask (listening to music, or even separate podcasts, while setting up a playlist).

In practice (at least how I use these services), it's kind of a large failing. I've got thirty days, but Rdio may win out ultimately.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Arcsech posted:

I've been using Spotify for a while now, but I've been exploring some other options - Rdio is nice but my current favorite is MOG actually, I'll probably start paying for for them soon. Same pricing as the others, $5 for desktop, $10 for mobile. It has seriously high quality tracks & I haven't found anything it doesn't have that the others do yet. Interface is HTML5 too, which is nice.

As a former user, just a heads up that the mobile app (at least Android, but I've heard ios) is terrible. The features are fine, but the app is incredibly buggy, to the point of being almost unusable. It's also really unsupported.

I gave up and committed to Spotify. I much preferred Rdio's service, but I have a lot of mixtapes and demos, and didn't want to jump from app to app to play music. Also, I do prefer the desktop app experience to the Web app one.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm having a problem with reorganizing my playlists. Whenever I drag and drop my playlists to sort them, Spotify rests/undoes my changes. It happens after I've moved two or three playlists, and it undoes the two or three changes that were made before the program "reset" or whatever it does.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Having an ongoing problem now where logging into the Android app kicks me out of the desktop program. Since you're supposed to open both the app and the desktop program on the same network to facilitate syncing, I seem to be kinda stuck.

If I log back into the desktop program, it locks the Android app into "Offline mode," and nothing will sync. I can force close the Android app and restart it in online mode, but then it logs me out of the desktop app.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm using Equalify (Desktop Spotify Equalizer) and DsBridge (streams Spotify through Playstation Media Server). The problem is, both programs use a version of the file dsound.dll, but each file is incompatible with the other program.

I'm assuming the files have some data in common since they have the same name, but I don't know a lot about working with dll files. Opening the files in notepad just reveals gibberish, so it's not like they're simple bat or config files. Does anyone use one or the other of these programs? Any ideas on getting them to play nice with each other? I'm currently keeping the dll files in separate subfolders and copying them in as needed.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I've done some searching, but haven't found a consistent (or effective) answer. Using the desktop software on Windows 7, I'm having a problem where the program won't play my local files consecutively. The program will play the first song in my playlist, but then the seek bar disappears and the next song simply won't play. If I skip ahead then back it'll play, but then the same issue happens with the next song.

Some people say it's a codec issue, some say it's an associations issue, but neither solution is working. Any ideas?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Quandary posted:

This is the best thing. Does anyone know if it's possible to scrobble to last.fm using this though?

It doesn't scrobble. Also, I don't seem to have the new features on Chrome.

Also, screw you, buddy: the Cazzette album is pretty great.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As if you needed yet another reason for why Spotify tears rear end all around the block:

This album is on it and it's as great as you think it is.

It's on Rdio, too. :)

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Samopsa posted:

I tried making playlist when I got spotify, but said gently caress it, and just jammed all tracks I listen to on a regular basis in my starred list, and use the sorting/shuffle options on that.

This is why I still use itunes and rely on streaming services as try before you buy option. They don't give you any meaningful way to manage the music you star, which means you're just playing from oceans of varying sizes.

Edit: For me, the way I use itunes is drastically different than the way I use any streaming service.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 19, 2013

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Earwicker posted:

I've actually seen a bunch of people doing this yeah, never really got why

I guess I'm that guy. I can be a completionist with albums I like, so I want them "saved" with filler tracks. At the same time, I absolutely don't want those filler tracks in my "starred" or "song" collection - they're part of the album, but don't stand alone.

Separating the album and song "collections" is perfect for me, because not every song on a great album is a great song. I still use iTunes and smart playlists for much this same reason, though, so I may not be your test case.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 15, 2014

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

HorseRenoir posted:

While I hate the new look, I don't really care about starred tracks and collections. Am I the only one who just goes directly to artist pages?

Ha! I almost never play from an artist page. The idea of shuffling an artist's entire catalog makes no sense to me - I'd rather play an album, or throw the "hits" into a playlist with all the other "hits." Guess everyone's a little different.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Earwicker posted:

You mean saved for offline listening or just "saved" as a playlist? If the latter why not just go to the album page directly instead of making a new playlist that does the same thing?

Personally I only use playlists for compiling a bunch of music around a specific theme - otherwise I just go directly to album or artist pages if I want to listen to something specific. I pretty much only use starring for tracks I like from artists I'm not familiar with that I find through apps like Hype Machine and Pitchfork, as a

Not to keep this going unnecessarily, I like to have the option to browse through my albums since I often stumble across an album that I'm in the mood for but wasn't actually looking for. For me albums are the entire purpose of collections - any individual song I like would just go into a playlist.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I have a local file, "Mass" by artist "E," from an album that doesn't exist in Spotify. I've unlinked the track at my desktop and set it in a separate playlist ("Not on Spotify") for offline playback on my iPhone. The ios app, however, titles the track as "Mass Exodus," based on the incorrect song (by a completely different) that the desktop program originally tried to link as the song. No matter what I do, the ios app won't reflect the correct song title. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I imagine I have a bunch more hidden bombs in my library.

EDIT: As of January 2013, it was "on the list" of things to fix. https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/mobileforumtopicpage/board-id/spotifyandroid/thread-id/4013/page/1

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 31, 2014

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Red_Fred posted:

You can download tracks to your phone by the way, that way you don't need mobile streaming at all.

I tried the three-month deal at 9.99. I still prefer to work with smart playlists in iTunes, because they give me more control over changing criteria (recently added, ratings, last played, etc.). Also, I found the whole Library/starred/my songs/etc. thing to be confusing and unwieldy.

I was the perfect audience for Spotify unlimited, since I would like to skip ads and get higher quality sound at my desktop. Too bad they decided to get rid of their mid-tier option. Curious about whether Apple's option might be for me, but they've downplayed smart playlists recently so I'm not optimistic.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I paid for a month of Beats out of an Apple gift card to get a feel in advance of whatever has planned in May. The "sentence" gimmick is fun for smart playlists, and the curated playlists are pretty well designed. It's painfully clear, though, that it's designed only for mobile use - you can't create playlists at the computer, and the entire experience is really stripped down.

I remember that the Google Play experience was a little janky when I tried it before, but I may try it again. Ultimately, though, I may be the last "pay per song" holdout.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The "Starred" playlist doesn't actually serve a purpose anymore - Spotify changed from the star system to a "My Library" system a little while back. The only reason the "Starred" playlist still exists is that older users would literally riot if they just got rid of it, but I don't expect new users will find it to have much value.

I've used all of the services you mentioned, though it's been too long since I've used Play to offer any reasonable pros/cons. All my friends are on Spotify, but I honestly don't like very much about it. A lot of its features are half-baked, their radio is often arbitrary, and they tend to unilaterally add or remove options without consulting their userbase. Recently, for example, they deleted the option to "unlink" local files that were associated with wrong tracks in Spotify's library. That's not a small issue, and they've been clear that bringing it back isn't a priority. I feel they're getting complacent, if not arrogant, and could use some legitimate competition.

Tidal has better sound quality, but that entirely depends on if you can hear it or have a system to take advantage. I really liked their staff playlists - both their theme lists/label samplers and their "new (genre) songs" lists - but it feels like they're moving towards celebrity playlists and "exclusives," which I don't have much use for. They have a standard $10/mo. tier that isn't "hi-def," but I probably couldn't justify it without something closer to "critical mass" as far as a user base.

Everyone makes fun of Beats, but Beats (and before, MOG) have always given me the best recommendations by far. As much as it's linked to hip-hop, I actually compare it more to old-school Netflix - it can't really win on new releases, but it can recommend some forgotten album from 1982 or some indie rock oddity that might become your new favorite thing. Beats has put all their eggs in the mobile basket, though, so the desktop experience has become absolutely abysmal (like, you can't create new playlists from your computer). I don't know why they thought that would be a good idea, but it's a legitimate dealbreaker. May get better when Apple flips the switch on whatever they're doing.

At the moment, I'm buying tracks and using Pandora/free Spotify as samplers. I have Amazon Prime, but I literally never even think to open the music app on my phone.

[EDIT: Beats doesn't have ratings, but you can "heart" a song if you like it. It doesn't add the song to your library or to a playlist, though - it literally only serves to guide the service's future recommendations. It's like a thumbs up on Pandora, but it's available outside of the radio service. It's useful in that respect, but it means that you have to take two separate steps if you find a song that you like.]

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 13, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

thathonkey posted:

Yeah 5 stars is pretty stupid i would always pick 1 or 5 and im sure google has researched this against their existing userbase before making the change unlike, say, spotify

Only using one or 5 is pretty stupid:

1 - songs I don't like (delete, uncheck or avoid). Less important for a streaming service, but maybe helpful for recommendations.

2 - songs that don't stand on their own, but contribute to an album (interludes, b-sides). Less important for streaming, but still useful if you like to separate your "singles" from your albums in your collection.

3 - songs that I like (usually songs that I've just discovered). If I get sick of them, they become 2 stars. Songs that I like to stumble across, but don't want to hear too often. In iTunes, these are songs that get shuffled out if they've been played too recently.

4 - songs that I really like/want to hear frequently. Usually a song that's stayed fresh after repeated listens. Contenders for song of the year.

5 - all time favorites/desert island songs. I have maybe 40-50 at any time.

The line between 4 and 5 is personal and arbitrary, but I definitely see a difference between songs that I like to hear once in a while or a new song that's caught my interest (3) and songs that I actively want to hear repeatedly over time (4+). A straight thumbs up or down means that you're buried in a bunch of songs that you like "well enough," which for me leads to a lot of skipping based on my mood and general fatigue with my library.

quote:

If Apple's new streaming service works with their smart playlist features and 5 stars, it would be great. You could have a 5* playlist with all your favorite songs, and a 4-5* when you want a little more variety but something you still like.

This is my sincere hope.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 21, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

theradiostillsucks posted:

Tell that to Apple TV owners or folks who use the stock iOS Podcasts app.

Apple TV is the very definition of "good enough," but to be fair they are on the cusp of a revamp. No one uses the iOS podcast app - does anyone use any native iOS app other than iMessage and Music?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

pinacotheca posted:

I've just updated. It looks like they're using a different shade of green for the logo now?

Well at least they've got their priorities straight.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It's been two days. Everyone's still trying to figure out how to use the thing. I'm curious how the thread will evolve though, since there isn't as much of a social component (yet) as there is with Spotify. Not like the thread can form a community playlist, or even share their id information for others to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Friday is now the day that new releases come out. There's no extra three days - it's exactly what happened on Tuesday, it just happens on Friday now.

E:f;b

• Locked thread