Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

bleees posted:

hEgYPs96Ayf8h7Mj
By98zL7FfuUSxg8N
6MxFy32h2P8fGXPH
d6dYdsXTKdcZ3Xft
wiFJz7BPJzF7egZ4

Last three were sent to people before, but have remained unused. They should still work though.

Thanks for d6dYdsXTKdcZ3Xft .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

NOBEARD posted:

http://www.stholdings.co.uk/2011/11/16/removal-of-content-from-spotify-simfy-rdio-napster/

STHoldings got quite a few labels. And there's always the possibilites that more will follow suit :/

"more traditional digital services" -- translation: we're not getting enough revenue because we're not large enough to make up for spotify's low royalties in volume, and we can't negotiate better.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Telex posted:

You know, I hate this argument by the artists.

It's a new concept. Why does "thousands and thousands" of streams mean anything monetarily? Are we trying to equate those with purchases? How many streams equals a ONE DOLLLAR track sale? Nobody's really done a good job of quantifying, because Spotify seems to think it's in their best interest to be completely opaque about performance and payments.

If we'd see a figure that says 210,000 streams is absolutely nothing and should be paid accordingly, despite that number being massive to someone with no idea of the actual scale of the service, maybe the conversation would be different. Instead we think 'a million streams is a lot' when the new Jay Z or whatever gets a hundred million streams in the same time period.

Some artists are getting a false sense of popularity I think. Spotify's not profitable, but artists are already demanding more than what they're getting so it's all going to go to poo poo unless Spotify grows up and offers some transparency to what they're doing, so that artists can be educated and not rail against the service if they're really doing all they can to give as much back to the artists as possible in a decently fair way.

edit: also to stay profitable they use your client as a p2p server for your tracks to other people, hope that helps. It sure helps spotify.

If we use the comparison of radio streams, then spotify is actually an excellent deal. The issue is that stream numbers are low, so the absolute value the artists get is lower than radio. On a per listen basis, spotify absolutely crushes radio--however on a per-play basis, radio is king (Since it reaches so many more people/play)

See:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/07/17/spotify-royalties-appear-to-be-awfully-high-despite-what-thom-yorke-says/

Spotify apparently pays out 16x more than the best of radio systems, and that's if you can get radio spins. For the tiny bands it's very unlikely you'll get anything from radio.

And Thom Yorke turned around and started a competing service: http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...eaming-service/

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 4, 2013

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Telex posted:

in America, artists get absolutely nothing for normal radio. (XM/Sirius is a different story as it's a subscription service thing). I understand it's different elsewhere, but not here.

This makes spotify even better by comparison so I really dont get why he's bitching unless he's really that dense and can't understand how his own contracts work

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

annapacketstormaya posted:

I wish Spotify was just an API that you could hook foobar2000 up to. Sadly, it isn't.

it has one and you can? just need to write a plugin using libspotify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

imo this green sucks

bring on apple music

• Locked thread