Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

GigaPeon posted:

I just got a US invite. Is the Android app useless on the free account? I can add a playlist to my phone, but it just sticks at Pending and never syncs.

Is the sync feature only for your personal MP3's?

If I'm not mistaken, the app only really syncs once you get the Premium upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Is there a way to search your library by year? I've tried using the filter and it isn't really working for me.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Drifter287 posted:

Wish granted?

This is pretty useful so far.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

The Modern Leper posted:

I imagine that most here are already on it, but you can find a beta for the new apps version of Spotify if you go through the Swedish site.

http://www.spotify.com/se/download/previews/

Oh man, this rules. Kudos for the tip.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I don't know if anyone's noticed this yet, but Spotify's browser app seems to be up and running.

https://play.spotify.com/

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

abraham linksys posted:

Not working yet for me :( any trick to it?

Found this in some comments section somewhere. It automatically played some terrible album, but once I clicked it, the browser beta started working for me. Your mileage may vary.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I haven't seen the new update pop up yet. Is it a regional thing?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

They were on Spotify earlier. Not sure what happened.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

sweek0 posted:

Does it inform you when there's new material by them on Spotify? That's the only reason I would want to follow a band.

Yeah, it does. It sent me an email notification when some new Blut Aus Nord albums came out.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

For what it's worth, my Discover app isn't half-bad. It's been recommending me a lot of Sacred Bones stuff and black metal.

It did, however, just recommend me Polvo because I listened to some harsh noise albums once. Polvo is not a band I'd describe as harsh noise at all. So there's that.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 10, 2013

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

precision posted:

I need some more long awesome playlists. Someone post their Starred Tracks?

Here's mine: http://open.spotify.com/user/1242610333/starred

Here's mine. A lot of drone/black metal/weird poo poo.

http://open.spotify.com/user/cosmicnavel/starred

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

All of Black Sabbath's discography from the Ozzy era is on Spotify now.

Just thought you guys should know.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

What kind of music app prevents you from searching your own playlists? New Spotify looks nice, I guess, but it's taken a serious dump in functionality.

For every step forward Spotify takes, they take at least 3 steps back.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

appropriatemetaphor posted:

and google play has an iphone app that can download albums and stuff? i listen to music on the train a lot.

err, so i checked google play, and it's got prices per album? is it like an itunes thing?

Google Play All Access is what you want.

Speaking of which, I switched over to Google Play yesterday and I don't think I'll be looking back. I think it may be the only place on the internet I can find that streams Big Black albums.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

thathonkey posted:

Lol google play music all access what a loving stupid name for a service. But i may consider switching anyway due to spotify's trend of making the worst software decisions ive ever seen.

Is the google stream library actually comparable to spotify in terms of breadth and getting new releases on schedule? That's the only reason i have stayed

Honestly, I think Google Play's got a better library. There are some notable omissions (no Metallica), but it more than makes up for it in smaller, weirder bands. You can also upload your own music to get rid of some of their gaps.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Mr E posted:

Only thing missing from my Spotify library was Metallica and AWOLNATION, but I have physical copies of both so I just ripped and uploaded them to Google Play. I really like their radio stations so far, too, much more than Spotify's.

Honestly, the radio stations are the one thing I'm not sold on. The metal station only seems to play Korn and Limp Bizkit, even though I've thumbed them down tons of times. The more specific ones are a little better, but I seem to be better off using standalone apps like Pandora. Wish there was a desktop client, but that's another story.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

PaganGoatPants posted:

Yeah, I had 30,000+ before they rolled out that. Had to turn them all into "playlists" 1-10 or whatever. I'm not sure if Google Play has a limit like that.

I think Play's limit is 50,000 for songs you upload on your own. AFAIK, there's no limit for streaming stuff you add to your library.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Has the desktop version of Apple Music gone up for anyone yet? I keep trying to update, but iTunes won't let me.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 30, 2015

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Pirate Jet posted:

The 32-bit version of iTunes was updated but not the 64-bit version.

Ugh, guess I just have to wait it out until Apple gets their poo poo together and puts out the 64-bit version.

For what it's worth, the iOS version is very nice. Design's a little dire, but it's way easier to use than Spotify.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Desktop app is finally working. I really wish it were faster, but it's working great otherwise.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Just tried Discover Weekly, and it's nice how specific some of the recommendations get. I think between that and just general performance, I'm going to go back to Spotify as my primary music player.

Question: Is there any way to change the playlist covers on Spotify? Apple Music has that feature, and no matter how minimal it is, I really like being able to do stuff like that.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

In the first 5 percent of Ghost listeners. Not sure if that's good.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Has anyone else gotten the podcast/video stuff Spotify just launched?

All the podcast stuff is really great and useful, but I don't know who the video clips are meant for besides people who forgot YouTube exists. Who asked for this?

It seems to be phone only right now, but I really hope all this stuff launches on desktop soon so I can finally get rid of iTunes.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 2, 2016

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Has anyone figured out a good way to organize by genre/year in Spotify? That's the one thing Apple Music has over Spotify for me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I just updated the desktop app this week and now my search feature barely functions. Is this more a problem with the desktop app or with my playlists?

• Locked thread