Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Have you tried also setting the client itself in offline mode (File->Offline Mode)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Just in case you weren't syncing on a different computer, can you explain how the songs fail to play? Do they appear exactly as in non-synced playlists? Do they appear available but just fail to play? Also, does "no internet at work" mean that you are not connected to anything, or are you still connected to some kind of internal network?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

There is another artist called "Drake" and this was probably a mix-up.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Oh who cares about the new UI for the client, here, have a Spotify client that looks like Winamp.

(only premium accounts supported, it was written by a Spotify employee so you can trust it even though it is not officially supported by Spotify)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

You have to go to the preferences window and select "high quality streaming"

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I would advise against using that. Other than being :filez: (in terms of installing poo poo you can't trust from warez sites, not stealing software), it might not look perfect for you if your account doesn't have certain features enabled that the new client assumes you do. Like Charlie Mopps mentioned, collection will rollout with the new client so it will be kinda weird if you don't have collection enabled for you.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Well, the old one is also parts web/HTTP based. But I would also like to know how the new one feels in terms of speed.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

89 posted:

How can we get this again? I'm still stuck with the old Spotify.

You mean the current Spotify :colbert:

Being a student in the US sucks because of all the loans, but good news for you guys today: https://www.spotify.com/us/student/

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

DLTN posted:

I just got the collections update

You mean, without the new black client? How did you do that?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Well, there is a "Save" button on the album page (and a save option when you right click on an album's name anywhere), what do you mean "quick"? Like, automatically save the album of every song you have starred? You are out of luck there.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It's like starring, but you can also "star" albums or artists.

By the way, I just went through my starred list adding all songs to My Music, and the albums were also added automatically. Otherwise if you still want to save each album separately, then you probably just sort that list by albums and right click through it (but I think left clicking through all the songs is easier IMO)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Or you can use the new "save" option instead. It saves songs in your "songs" list under "Your Music". It's either a "save" option, or a plus sign in some views.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

scroogle nmaps posted:

I really do wonder what their developer culture is like.

I'm guessing it involves lots of drinking and crying. Reviews on Glassdoor are good though, so maybe they're all just delusional.

I am not sure in what way you mention this, but in this kind of big companies it's not the developer's job to decide what a feature will look like or what kind of customer will cater to.

(performance issues are definitely the developer's job, though)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Avocados posted:

I finally upgraded to Spotify Prem with that $5/mo student discount. I'm bummed I waited so long to upgrade because the phone downloading is incredibly useful as far as convenience and phone data useage go. One of my questions are: Are there radio playlists you can download? Their radio tends to be wildly successful in providing me with good music, and they do a better job of showing me new stuff than I do on my own. Is there a way to "save next 20 tracks" or something equivalent? Because I'd like to get half my phone data back that I use on Spotify radio each month.

I use an app called "Lazify", basically you drop an artist or a bunch of songs on it and creates a playlist based on that using Lastfm data. It does make some dump choices from time to time but it's ok in general and I found some artists I really like through it.

Otherwise if you prefer the human touch you can find a playlist that you might like in Browse.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

re:Moving starred songs to Your Music

There is now an "import" button at the header of the starred playlist.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Earwicker posted:

I've had my music on Spotify for years but I can't agree that it's a great service for musicians. They pay way too little, they don't really offer any kind of promotional tools that the user can control (like sending a notification out to followers/fans when you have a new album out), I've never been able to get access to stats in spite of requesting that a long time ago, and listeners are much less likely to go on to buy material compared to say Soundcloud or Bandcamp. The only real advantage is the size of their audience.

Spotify has this thing that from what I understand allows artists to see their stats and revenue: https://www.spotifyartists.com/

Also, Spotify pays revenues to right holders, not the artists themselves. If you have a bad streaming deal with the record label, then there is nothing Spotify can do for you.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but last time I checked I thought it wasn't available in Canada.

It will launch in Canada soonish.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It seems that Spotify is hosting an open beta for the new version of the desktop client. You can install it side by side with the current client, so it won't be that difficult to switch back if you can't bear all the beta related bugs.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Are you sure you have an up to date client? What version are you using right now?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Have you tried Spotiamp? It's much lighter than the desktop client and does exactly what you want. You will need a premium account to use it, though.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

inSTAALed posted:

Taylor Swift removed her music from Spotify and then sold a bajillion albums last week. :rip: Spotify

Where's the control group? :colbert:

edit: vvv what kind of problems?

Rexides fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 5, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I guess that different people interpret "favourite songs" differently. For some people it's songs that have special meaning to them, or represent the absolute best form of an artist's work. For others, it maybe is "songs I don't hate and wouldn't mind listening to again in the future". Sort of like making your own personal radio station. Neither approach is wrong, IMO, but whoever implemented it originally was leaning more towards one interpretation than the other.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

i was reloading posted:

Also, looks like they brought back apps to desktop. I wonder what inspired them to do that considering they made a public announcement about shutting them down...

Apps are back? I still get the same options on the left. Are you talking about lyrics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Also, not on Android yet.

• Locked thread