Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Zorkon posted:

The new album page layout makes classical music pieces incredibly obnoxious to find.

Which brings it in line with the mobile app, I guess.

To be fair, I've never, ever seen any music service that made classical music easy to find. Hell, I've never found anything that managed to get tags right either. The whole composer-conductor-symphony-soloist mess is a major pain.

I can't really get social or discover to show up on any combination of Linux/Windows desktop/web clients, oh well.

Does Spotify do podcasts at all? All I've ever found was annoyance that Planet Money announcing that they're on Spotify actually just means that their music clips are on a playlist there, which I don't care about at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

glompix posted:

I mainly listen to full albums as well, and I just keep playlists of albums. So, for instance, I have a prog playlist with like 20 prog albums or something. I only have a few playlists of singles which are reserved for random mode, really. How is that any different than having a "collection?" If anything, playlists are better because you can have many collections!

Maybe Spotify just resonates with me, but I really hate algorithmic radio. I don't think I've ever found anything new that I like on a service like that. Far better for me is to have a carefully-crafted playlist that some nerd with too much free time published. I've had a lot of success with that, assuming I can figure out what key words to look for.

Strangely, Spotify's radio has found the most stuff I've liked out of any I've tried, despite being pretty dumb on the backend, I think (just chooses the best-rated related tracks).

You can add tracks to your collection (Collection -> Library or Starred) on the left side by starring them. I just wish it displayed better, namely being able to collapse albums/artists. The current list every track option, with or without album list, isn't really convenient for large collections, especially since there's no way to filter songs in the current view a-la foobar2000.

Maybe some sort of magic with despotify-deadbeef on Linux.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Is there any way to make the Spotify queue behave more like the foobar2000 queue, i.e. after a queued track finishes, the next song is the song after the queued track in whatever album/playlist/artist section you selected it from, rather than the current behavior that continues from wherever you were before you queued a track from some other list?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

My biggest complaint about the new UI is that the Linux client segfaults when you perform basic interactions with it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Double post but it's been like a week gently caress it.

Apparently Spotify is pulling an Amazon Video on me and randomly removing music that it had previously. I really wish that they'd at least provide some notice of "hey, our licensing deal on X expired and we plan on/don't plan on getting a new one". gently caress the cloud.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I've never had that much of a problem with the ui on spotify but rather two small frustration. The first is not being able to play music bought on iTunes in the program and the other is trying to find replacement music for those that I can't play not being available in Australia. Other than that it's been pretty good really

You should be able to play iTunes music; iirc it's no longer DRM'ed and Spotify can play local files. iTunes probably stores them in a really stupid place, but that's not Spotify's fault.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The older drm stuff needs to have rights bought for it and even stuff I've bought recently won't play. The rest of my local files aren't a problem really. Windows media player has never had a problem with iTunes files really

Ah, apparently it just doesn't support AAC.

Stupid proprietary formats.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

MondayHotDog posted:

Is there a way to play a single song without it adding the entire album to your play queue? And how come sometimes it won't even let me delete songs from the queue?

This is the default/only behavior. While playing one album/playlist, if you go to another and queue a song from it, that song will play followed by the next song in the first album. Usually, sometimes it screws up because Spotify is buggy.

I actually find this behavior incredibly annoying and wish they had both insert into queue and start playing from this point after current song as separate things.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

The frequent licensing made me consider switching to a competitor, but Rdio is missing the same tracks. gently caress the cloud.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

The new band I found has the same name as some random Dutch band (also the same name as a well-covered song), and each band only has one, self-titled album.

The album page for the first, if you can get to it, has all its own tracks, then all its own tracks again as additional tracks, then all the other band's tracks. :wtc:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

There are unavailable tracks on the official "Top 100 Tracks on Spotify" list.

For a second I thought this was YOSPOS cause I really wanted to emptyquote this. More because goddamn content owners hating their consumers than Spotify, but still, figure out your licensing crap.

I really wish the phone music players actually gave me the option to randomly sort a playlist in once and then save my place, though I recall Google Music being a much worse offender about only playing 10% of the playlist when set to shuffle.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

precision posted:

It literally just means access to count what you listen to towards your Last.fm account as regards "scrobbling", your Last.fm Library, and what Last.fm recommends you.

Last.fm is like the ultimate in pointless awesomeness for music dorks. Somehow the single band I've listened to the most in the past 7 years - and by a margin of like, 100 listens - is Sloan of all people. I mean, I love them, it's true, but the fact they're beating out bands like Spiritualized for me is just weird.

And also poo poo like this and this.

The one that graphs all your artists over time appears to be down though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Got a Nexus 7 and dear god is the android app's shittiness showing even more so. Landscape mode is non-existent, no notification controls AND no response to playback control intents means using it with projectM is a massive pain.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

I won't even get into the mobile apps. Can I please just jump to the bottom of a playlist somehow...please! I'm going to die one day scrolling through a 200 song playlist while driving.

I don't think that will help you not die much, really.

In other news:

quote:

What's in this version:
New: Spotify now works in landscape mode.

:toot:

Using Google again reminds me how much I hated the "better hope it's tagged perfectly the first time" aspect of trying to organize it. Keeping all my music that's not available on Spotify on Google Drive so I can just manage it in fb2k would be better in a lot of ways.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Discover tab today:
An ad for Kidz Bop 24, including Thrift Shop and a Spotify-exclusive track.

Thanks, Spotify. That's what your users want.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Did a recent Spotify update disable click-through, i.e. clicking on an element in the application does not perform the action of that element, it only focuses the application?

This is how, if I remember correctly, how all Mac applications work, and technically better from a UX theory standpoint, but very annoying in Windows and Linux, where it's different from the behavior of every other goddamn application, which is a much worse crime.

Namely, my most common interaction with Spotify, double-clicking a track to switch to it, now has the awesome behavior of focusing the app with whatever track I had previously selected still highlighted, and then starting from the beginning of that track. Which, I guess, is actually two bugs, since that second click should count as selecting the track I did click on, not a double click.

Thanks, Spotify.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Catman Begins posted:

I find that listening to ambient music helps me concentrate at work. At the moment I'm listening to The Social Network OST and the Mass Effect OST, but during a 9-10 hour shift they get a bit stale on repeat.

I'm looking for music with no lyrics, something fairly upbeat and modern. Does anyone have any playlists they listen to or perhaps recommendations?

NIN's Ghosts I-IV is very similar to The Social Network.

Not upbeat, but Stars of the Lid is definitely very ambient.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Earwicker posted:

If you don't physically carry the first 10 King Crimson albums on your person at all times you aren't a real music fan, in my opinion.

What's wrong with Thrak?

Being able to stream from the cloud with Google Play is nice but uploading to it is slow and it tends to break on my not-great tags. Fixing them takes forever because of the slow upload. Can't win.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ambushsabre posted:

The library tab on spotify combines stars, imported music, bought music, or stuff in your playlists. There's an album view too. How is that different?

edit:

It's confusing and kludgy. The Library screen is there, but doesn't match what I'd expect a library to be--a one stop shop for managing music that I care about above "all music that Spotify could possibly play."

There's no way to "add all of King Crimson's discography to my library". I'd have to make a playlist of their discography, or individual playlists for In the Court of the Crimson King, In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, etc. etc., and watch for new releases to make playlists of those, so they get added to my Library. This is stupid. Spotify has already done the work of knowing all of King Crimsons's albums, and knowing when they release new albums (hypothetically, anyway, since they probably won't release new albums and aren't actually available on Spotify at all). Why should I duplicate this effort?

Even if I could do this, but wanted to remove The ConstruKction Of Light, I couldn't. There's no way to remove something from the Library directly, you have to remove it from whatever source the Library's using.

A playlist is a list of things that I want to play for some reason, which is why it's prominently featured on my left bar. This might include music I don't consider to be part of my library: I'm making a party playlist in 2009 and want to include "Bad Romance" because it's popular. That doesn't really mean I actually care about listening to it regularly, but it's now in my Library. If I want to keep the playlist around in case I have an Oughties Party later, tough poo poo.

The Library also isn't good as a Library. You can't limit search to it, and its interface is terrible (album view is gone http://community.spotify.com/t5/Hel...p/367064/page/4 ).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

inSTAALed posted:

So star things you want in your "library" and use playlists as playlists? You can completely ignore the library button on Spotify. In fact, I didn't even know it existed until earlier today when someone else brought it up. Also, there is a filter search in the Library tab in the top right corner which is pretty much limiting search to your library.

Filter thing must be recent, it wasn't in there before I restarted and still isn't in the mobile app for me. It's nice though.

Starred isn't a great choice for me either, I like that as a hot playlist, and it's good for that, since starring/unstarring is a single click, and starred status is readily apparent everywhere a song is. It shouldn't be a second version of the library.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

het posted:

I mean, iTunes has the same thing so it doesn't seem Spotify-specific. I don't know the band either way so I dunno what's off about this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fight/id807369962

Apparently they all just bulk import the data from the labels, who have yet to realize that bands sometimes have the same names and need uuids or something to properly separate them.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I still don't have it, despite trying to download the new player.

Damnit why don't any of the other music services have a desktop client.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Weird. I have the Save button, but nothing new in the sidebar, and none of the existing pages look different. This is with the black interface.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I wait for the day when Spotify just becomes an API that foobar2000 can use.

That will never happen.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

me your dad posted:

Seriously what the gently caress why would they do this?

:spotifail:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

inSTAALed posted:

What the poo poo?

I don't understand why people would be saving all these albums if they weren't planning on having them show up in the songs list? This whole feature is completely perplexing.

I'm trying to figure out how people used spotify without starring things. Were most people seriously making individual playlists for every album they wanted to listen to or something?

Oh yes, nobody used this EXTREMELY PROMINENT UI FEATURE.

Someone please make :spotifail:, we need it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

I don't understand why collections, "starred" or "saved" music is such a big deal, so count me in that number.

I have a number of playlists dedicated to certain artists or genres. If I want to listen to a specific album I just... search for it.

It's not like I'm ever just shuffling through ALL of the music I listen to, that would be really jarring to jump from like a KISS song to Miles Davis.

Some people don't always listen to all of an album and actually like jumping around. Searching isn't practical while driving. Having a list of favorite tracks is useful. Having this be one click and immediately visually obvious is nicer than having to drag and right-click to a playlist you can't see.

"I don't use it or see a use for it so it can't possibly matter" is a recipe for terrible UI design.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I really do wonder what their developer culture is like.

I'm guessing it involves lots of drinking and crying. Reviews on Glassdoor are good though, so maybe they're all just delusional.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

caiman posted:

So was this a forced update? I'm using the Linux version and mine hasn't been updated. Sounds like that's a good thing.

It will be eventually most likely. I applied for the beta and got it on all devices/platforms at the same time.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

het posted:

So I have no idea when this happened but it looks like Spotify finally added the ability to have separate artists with the same name? At first I thought they'd removed the italo disco Kano but there's separate pages for them and the grime MC Kano. Of course there's still a million tracks on house comps still attributed to the grime Kano, but at least it's a start

Possibly, I think they've had it for a while, and done it wrong often.
Some artists get replaced by others, or at least the new one gets the old one's url.
Some artists get split into two versions with/without punctuation.
The one I know was two artists stuck together still is (some obscure German and Chinese bands).

Classical, of course, is still impossible most of the time.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

The support forums seem to be of the opinion that the beta is awful. Should I try installing it?

They did appear to have somehow hosed my Linux client with whatever they did in the backend to support the beta.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I wish Spotify was just an API that you could hook foobar2000 up to. Sadly, it isn't.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

DominoDancing posted:

Spotify is actually very, very good at avoiding feature creep. It's just that sometimes I'm completely befuddled at what they decide to cut.

Why feature creep when you can just add and remove features at random.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

The main thing I liked about Spotify was that it had a separate desktop client, but I guess if they're intent on ruining that then...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

screaden posted:

So with Google Music, if I upload a bunch of songs from my computer to fill in gaps in the Google catalogue, can I stream them from anywhere? I'm still carrying around my ipod with a bunch of poo poo that spotify doesn't have so I can listen to it at work but I suspect it's close to dying so that would be great if I could do that

Yes.

Spotify can partially do this insofar as it can sync local files to your mobile devices if you make the playlists/albums available offline, but it does take disk space, whereas Google will always let you stream stuff.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Apparently along with the update Spotify has been doing a fair bit of updating their backend album info as well?

At least two bands that have been known under different names are now consolidated into one, with albums randomly given incorrect release dates/track order broken.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Spotify has inexplicably decided that the title track on this album with its Daytrotter version.

What.

Edit: apparently having that in my local files collection magically replaces the album track despite them having different album names. Good job Spotify.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 12, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

thathonkey posted:

Yeah if you have a lot of local files that you want to enhance a streaming lib with imho dont waste your time with Spotify. This feature is utterly broken. I've heard google play does it much better

The problems I have with Google Play are the lack of a native client (though running it separately in Chrome is probably enough of a compromise and what I'd have to do anyway since I've removed Flash) and that you have to make sure you upload files with correct tags because editing them in Google Play is a massive pain. Admittedly, Spotify is poo poo at it too, but since it doesn't require uploading to the cloud, it's less awful. Not sure why Google Play seems so slow to upload/download anything, since I'd think Google wouldn't have any issues with bandwidth, but I never seem to get more than 1Mbs in either direction.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

cebrail posted:

My desktop spotify doesn't play any local files anymore :iiam:

The latest update seems to have hosed local file playback hard. It will do really fun things. Do you have a local file that is a different version of a track that exists in Spotify's library? Spotify will randomly replace their track with that one! It also did fun things like randomly shuffle track names around within the same album. Why does telling Spotify to play track 4 play track 7 of an album? Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Started just using Foobar2000 for my local files since I have a bunch of stuff from bandcamp anyway, and am reminded how much better it is than any other music player I've ever used back from the days when I just pirated everything.

I've thought about using despotify for a while but it doesn't look like there's much of an ecosystem around it, and the one foobar2000 plugin for it appears to be dead.

Wish more bands were on bandcamp--I don't want to use iTunes and Google Music is only sorta-DRM free with their dumb "you can only direct download tracks (even ones purchased from Play) 2x, otherwise you have to use the Chrome App or Music Manager," both of which are kind of terrible. The 2x thing brings up horrible memories of when my parents bought me a minidisc player rather than an mp3 player and I had to use Sony's horrible management software with their wonderful OpenMG DRM that they applied to all the music I listened to at the time, which wasn't pirated because it was released freely to begin with.

• Locked thread