Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So is it worth updating the Android app or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just found this thread and I have to vent about recent updates. 0.8.8 and 0.9 were super loving slow on my Air. Launching the app would be a 2 minute ordeal to see the new releases.

Also not to mention the update where they cleared out my follow list of friends :psyduck:

I rolled back to 8.5 and it opens instantly again, and I have my album view and font.

I love Spotify, but their recent decisions have all been terrible.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

stupid puma posted:

Ugh. The new Dillinger Escape Plan album only has two playable songs- the rest are grayed out. Talk about a day late and a dollar short... I like Spotify, but the lack of new content mixed with the perennially lovely iPhone app really has me rethinking the whole thing.

Huh I thought it was all working? That was quick...

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Superanos posted:

I would stop paying for Spotify, but I'm one of those guys that downgraded to previous versions and I still love them. Spotify's idea of using a native program instead of being browser-based is the best idea they've had and it's the reason it is such a joy to use compared to any of their competitors. Later versions have started integrating the web player's webpages into the regular client for seemingly no reason, which makes performance worse. How did they ever think this would be a good idea?

Because Mac OS X 10.5 can't run later Spotify versions, they are required to keep version 0.8.5.1356 running, including on Windows. This version is before most of the lovely changes, including playlist time and web-based artist pages and search results.

I got pissed and downgraded a few weeks back. Then the workaround to stop the program updating...stopped working. Do you know another workaround to stop upgrades on OSX 10.8.3?

They got rid of ALBUM ART VIEW and changed the FONT and the entire layout the ALBUM PAGES. The recent versions took 5 MINUTES TO LOAD on a brand new Macbook Air when 0.8.5 starts up instantly.

They also had the brilliant idea to remove everyone's followers and who they were following -- in lieu of "FOLLOW THIS ARTIST WHO ACTUALLY ISN'T USING SPOTIFY." I could give a rat's rear end about following artists on Spotify, I just want to follow and share with friends. Also I think they took out DRAG AND DROP SHARE.

Their forums have exploded in rage, but that doesn't change anything. If Google All Access gets an iPhone app I'm 80% jumping ship since I'm that annoyed. I can't remember the last time I've been this angry at a company's decisions. I know they wanted to jump to HTML or whatever, but it can't be to the complete detriment of your software. It just can't.

I won't even get into the mobile apps. Can I please just jump to the bottom of a playlist somehow...please! I'm going to die one day scrolling through a 200 song playlist while driving.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 31, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nomapple posted:

Since Spotify went through the massive layout change with the album pages and stuff, it seems to crash on loading around 50% of the time on my mac. I used to love it, because it was so quick and easy to use, but it seems to be becoming increasingly bloated. Frustrating really.

Once Google releases an iOS app I'm gone. I just can't take the desktop app's crappiness anymore. I sound so bitter.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress happened to the "New Music" tab?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

New Music is a section for me (right now). They changed it a while ago to 'Discover', which was terrible. I saw lots of bitching on their feedback community. I had an update to the client a few weeks ago which brought back 'What's New'.

My update yesterday gave me Discovery. :smith:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fivre posted:

Discover tab today:
An ad for Kidz Bop 24, including Thrift Shop and a Spotify-exclusive track.

Thanks, Spotify. That's what your users want.

I actually listened to the Kidz Bop version of Thrift Shop on Spotify. They sure do have creative ways to censor it.

Also at the gym I remember seeing some little girls on Ellen singing the song vigorously. Also censored.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I just want a way to randomize my Starred tracks and keep that randomized list order. I'm sick of putting it on Shuffle and hearing the same 30 songs out of 600 every single time. I don't know if their shuffler is just dumb or if it tries to play things it thinks you want to hear but either way it's horrible, there are huge chunks of the list that I've never had come up on shuffle. Just let me randomize it once and play through the whole thing in sessions. :argh:

Don't think so :(

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mine keeps telling to restart to update. Constantly. No matter if I restart or not.

Anyone else have that issue?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Wait what's the point of "offline mode" anyway? Like what does it even do? If you've got some tracks synced they'll play regardless of whether you're on or offline.

Downloads them to your PC so you can play them offline in their special Spotify format.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why does Spotify have "news" now? They sure are taking a weird direction with stuff...

:iiam:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eight Is Legend posted:

I really hope Spotify is aware of this gap in their service and looking into something like that.

It's easy to add local stuff for me. :shrug:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

I know this is a Spotify thread but somebody was recently hyping up Rdio to me. When I asked how the library compares to Spotify, they weren't really sure. Does anyone here have a lot of experience with both and could give a quick compare and contrast? I'm more concerned with the breadth of catalogue than misc features.

Rdio doesn't have a desktop program and I find their library isn't as large. The UI they have is nice though.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I star any song I like. The desktop and phone app now both have filter so it's easy to find anything I want to play. It's like a dynamic playlist.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is the new UI faster than the old?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

"Available Now"

Is it really?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

So the updated ios player takes away the ability to just tap the album cover to get info (like if you want to quickly star something while driving), and makes you hit a tiny little info button instead...

For gently caress's sake. :ughh:

Lock screen isn't showing the correct song either.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 2, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

The new iOS app is terrible. People have brought up the tiny buttons already, but it takes for loving ever to load the album art / info for a new song.

This is really only a big deal in play offline playlists, because the song will start playing ~5 seconds before the app visually indicates a new song has started. If you try to skip the song in that window the app freaks out.

Mine has also crashed a few times while the last version had no issues really. We can never have good things!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

My guess is that these buttons are less moronic looking on an iPad? I really have no idea. I have tiny, girlish hands and even I'm struggling to hit the right button to shuffle or pull up artist information.

They 100% fixed something that wasn't broken by breaking it.

And there's no reason to have it as one vertical list with so much space on the right. The grid they had before was fine.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 3, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If Rdio could play local music I would try it out, but afaik it doesn't.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

Who gives a poo poo if the app looks modern or not if you cant use it. I wrote a complaint to Spotify about the new iOS app and an actual human responded. He said theyve been inundated with complaints just like mine so hopefully it will be remedied in the next update... Months from now. Too bad you cant downgrade :(

You mean YEARS from now. Didn't they annouce collections in 2012 or something?

Are we ever going to get album view back? :suicide:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

The visual lag when playing an offline playlist is brutal for when I'm working out. The new app has also hosed up the ability to control pause / play / skip from the iOS control panel.

Here's an example from last night.

For almost 30 seconds, this is what the in-app display showed:

Here is what the iOS control panel displayed:

Here is the song that was actually playing that entire time:

http://youtu.be/psB0cidB5bg

As you can tell, that isn't either of those songs.

Yeah this is what I meant by the local files being all messed up. I haven't tried it in offline.

Even for regular streaming it's laggy as hell. And if you try to skip forward while it's laggy it'll just crash.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there a quick way to add stuff to "your music?" Because I'll be damned if I'm going through starred songs to add albums manually.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

Like, automatically save the album of every song you have starred? You are out of luck there.

Yeah. :smithicide:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Spotify guy says: "Yep, Your Music will contain all of your beloved playlists but start out empty otherwise. We did some testing and actually found that users preferred starting from scratch. Let me know if you have any other questions."

What the gently caress. :psyboom:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DLTN posted:

ctrl + a and then just drag and drop into Your Music

Doesn't seem to populate "albums" and "artists" which just stay blank.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

What exactly is the appeal of this Your Music/Collections thing? What makes it different than folders+playlists?

Looks fancy :sparkles:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

It's easier to scroll through some pictures of albums than to scroll through a huge text list.

We had that with Album View till they removed it. Go figure. :iiam:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

So wait there is no more starring? But I still have my starred playlist at least.

You can still star stuff (I think), you just have to go throught he menus. It's a playlist. :shrug:

I'm sure it'll be gone soon enough.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

peanut- posted:

Is anyone else finding the updated iPhone app to be ridiculously unresponsive? Control button presses (particularly track skipping) often don't register for 15-20 seconds?

I'm still on a 4S but I don't think a music app should be so bloated it can't run on that phone.

Yeah it's laggy.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

inSTAALed posted:

Wow, apparently there is a 10,000 song limit for this "Your Music" bullshit. What the gently caress is the point of that? The old starred list could be infinitely large and worked EXACTLY THE SAME WAY! Why call it Your Music if I can't save all of "My Music" to it. I am only halfway through what I had starred right now because of how time consuming they made the process of transferring this stuff to the new thing. I would just continue using starring to track my stuff, but they made it such a pain in the rear end to get to now.

Ugh... spotify.

I knew something was up. God dammit. I thought stuff was just getting deleted in some bug. I have 29k on my starred list. :arghfist:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Everbody, we're actively monitoring your feedback.

A couple of things to note:

1. Like I mentioned, offline support for Your Music is coming on both desktop as wells of all songs on mobile.

2. We will also expose the ability to take control of the Songs and Albums tabs in Your Music by filtering Albums saves. You will be able keep albums and songs separate if you want to which will allow you to migrate Starred usage completely.

3. We're taken in your feedback that the it's annoying to have to hover on songs to see whether you've saved them or not. This will be addressed and you will instead always have static icons. Fix coming very soon.

4. We've also listened to your feedback on contrast issues with going from "gold stars" to black/white icons.

Regarding, Starred, you do have to understand that this feature was not used by everbody, only a small minority. Many many users have asked for the ability to build a music collection without having to deal with playlists.

We totally understand the need to be able to separate "saved" music from "favorite" music and will work to make things even better.

We know you love Spotify but keep in mind that we want to make the best music service for all our users, not optimize it for a select few.

quote:

Spotify dev has said:

"The limit of 10000 will probably not be raised, we're looking into separating album saves they don't count as songs. You will be alble to collect more albums without reaching this limit and also be able to filter out full albums on the Albums tab and hide full albums on the Songs tab to feel more in control."

:psyboom:

Dealbreaker. I need to find a new option then. Google Music?

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 15, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

I don't understand why collections, "starred" or "saved" music is such a big deal, so count me in that number.

I have a number of playlists dedicated to certain artists or genres. If I want to listen to a specific album I just... search for it.

It's not like I'm ever just shuffling through ALL of the music I listen to, that would be really jarring to jump from like a KISS song to Miles Davis.

My only problem is the limit they put on it. Oh and also the difficulty/time it takes to populate "My Music." Really weird and buggy for me.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

re:Moving starred songs to Your Music

There is now an "import" button at the header of the starred playlist.

Where? I don't see it. :(

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm a version behind or something.

0.9.10.14.g578d (mac)

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

Apparently they removed the ability to save your playlist's sorting preference as a 'feature' and the community has to vote it back up as something they want :psyduck:

:ughh:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

Amazon launched their streaming music service today, available for Prime subscribers

They've got a one million song catalog, which is puny compared to Spotify. Their stance is that a majority of stuff in the competitor's massive catalog is essentially junk that nobody will listen to. I've suspected for a while that streaming services bulk up their catalog with stuff like sound effect records and inexpensive novelties so sheer numbers don't hold a ton of weight for me. But I do like that I can pull obscure things out of Spotify's catalog. I haven't had a chance to test the Amazon catalog so it remains to be seen how it compares for me. I'm a Prime subscriber though so I'll be checking it out soon.

Edit: gave it a quick search, not impressed. I think it'll be great for the casual music listener who is happy with popular music.

Junk that no one listens to? That's me.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

I never bothered with spotify since it doesn't have half the songs I want to listen to while burning bandwitdh. The "Other alternatives" to free music still seems more appealing when I can just throw the albums on to the phone and listen to them as I please.

So yesterday a coworker started waving his cellphone with spotify open. Asking me for a music recommendation.

I picked it up and did a search for "My Time is Gonna Come" by "Roger Daltrey"

Three covers but no original. Business as usual it seems.

If you have the album just add it local files. Boom it's on your phone. Best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

has any of yous had spotify problems after upgrading to Yosemite?

Nope

• Locked thread